Gratuities to be added to sea pass account daily.

I hope the line at GS for removing the daily charge is really, really long;)

Yes, and wouldn't it be nice to see a separate, designated line specifically for the gratuities? That way, you will have to stand in the "line of shame" in order to have them modified. I know that won't happen but it's funny to imagine....:D It would work as a deterrant for some though.:p

this is fine, as long as you at least tip the suggested amount ($12 p/p per day) in cash and that way each crew member that took care of you gets his or her fair amount. only you and the person you tip can answer this..

I sure do.

love this site:

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/

I know exactly how much I am required to bring. and then some!!:)

When my stateroom attendant was handed 3 crisp $100.00 bills-I'm thinking he liked the cash!!!

As the above poster has stated also-some of us enjoy handing cash. To me, it is much more personable.

Just because someone does not like to pre-tip does not always mean they do not. Some posters here try to twist things around to make it look like we stiff.

That's what pi$$@# me off!! ;)

I think its a great policy...no more stiffing

Im not so sure about that :( I bet modify also means totally get rid of.

the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services during their cruise.

it will certainly help a bunch though!

Great news; now I just hope they also do away with the bits of paper and envelopes for those of us that have prepaid .;)

I still like having an envelope or two to recognise excellent service to hand to staff members...along with a WoW card!

I've always pre-paid (first cruise did MTD and have never looked back!), so apart from the tiny increase the net effect is the same... even though I've read it here many times on CC, I still dont understand why you'd want to not pay gratuities at the end of the cruise:rolleyes::confused:

I still like having an envelope or two to recognise excellent service to hand to staff members...along with a WoW card!

I've always pre-paid (first cruise did MTD and have never looked back!), so apart from the tiny increase the net effect is the same... even though I've read it here many times on CC, I still dont understand why you'd want to not pay gratuities at the end of the cruise:rolleyes::confused:

I know that on the lines that I have sailed with they do have envelopes available for this purpose so I don't know why Royal wouldn't do this, too.

I'm also glad they did this. I have already been used to it since MTD came out. Speaking of MTD, since it's all sort of mandatory now, why not remove the pre-paid aspect of MTD tips and just go with the daily charge? Simplify. Give everyone a daily charge.

That is what they did. If you go to their website to book a cruise and pick MTD it has prepaid gratuities listed as optional now.

We chose MTD, so we have prepaid. However, we do need to have the option to modify the amount in a serious case of underperformace by the crew. I think it gives the cruise line good feedback, especially if the employee receives multiple complaints. And they seem to have provided the option. I have nothing against this policy and in my limited cruises I have always ended up tipping mire than the recommended amount.

That is what they did. If you go to their website to book a cruise and pick MTD it has prepaid gratuities listed as optional now.

As usual, RCI is consistently inconsistent :rolleyes::) , here's what my fake booking brought up.

My Time Dining

Our most flexible option for the Main Dining Room. Pre-paid gratuities will be added to your total.

Why are they just dealing with UK customers (European, too, apparently) first on this issue?

Just look at the responses on this thread.

ALL of the responses that are VEHEMENTLY AGAINST the change are from the UK (with two notable - and not surprising - exceptions).

The Americans on this thread are saying things liked "YIPPEE!"

That is the reason.

:cool:

Merion mum

A point of note , in Europe we don't benefit from price drops or all the extras American TA's lavish on bookings made in America .

I've cruised on RCI since 2006 and have always tipped where good service has been received.

My main objection is paying for a service I don't receive or need !

If I don't see the head waiter why should I tip him ? I'd rather give my hard earned cash to my waiter or asst waiter or room attendant.

As for the Americans saying yippee, I've come across a number of tight Americans who don't show on the last night to pay up after giving lounge, dining and wait staff a hell of a time .

The price we pay should include service charge/ gratuity when we sign the contract . If someone goes above what you expect . Splash the extra cash in their palm .

Best regards a tipping European National , UK citizen and Proud Scotsman

Regards Bryce

[i tried to quote another such post, but apparently CC is only letting me quote two in one subsequent post. :rolleyes:]

It is important to be able to read.

I made NO sweeping generalizations.

I referenced ONLY those who posted on this thread.

If you read ONLY the posts on this thread, you will see that my post was, as you like to say, "spot-on".

I always bring small envelopes from home just in case. But you can still get envelopes at Guest Relations. They usually put them out on the counter the day before debarkation.

I'm going to go against the flow here. I have never stiffed any employees and feel I have always been generous when it comes to tipping at the end of the cruise. I just don't agree with this new change.

Can we ask what is it that you do not agree with?:)

I have just spoken with Lois Charters, Head of Customer Experience, UK & Ireland & author of the email that sparked this thread. She has apologised for the fact the only people to receive emails appear to be in Europe. Apparently these were meant to be sent globally on the same day and Miami for some reason had not send theirs out. Nice to know us in the UK weren't being singled out for "special treatment" :)

I hope the line at GS for removing the daily charge is really, really long;)

And I hope that they institute a special, separate line for such people, so that the rest of us can get on with our legitimate business with the kind people at Guest Services.

Yes, and wouldn't it be nice to see a separate, designated line specifically for the gratuities? That way, you will have to stand in the "line of shame" in order to have them modified. I know that won't happen but it's funny to imagine....:D It would work as a deterrant for some though.:p

I apologize for not seeing your post, Sunset Glow, before submitting mine.

GMTA! ;)

no matter what is said or cried about----we must get over it. let's face it, it is over. RCCL has implemented "as of any sailings starting after March 1st 2013, the $12 per person per day surcharge will be added to your sea pass account".

It is final. so have all the hissy fits, crying jags, stomping up & down, crying in your beer, destroying your towel animals, complaining to the front desk, etc., etc., etc. you want to.

it is FINAL and it is OVER. so grin and bare it. you can't change RCCL policy. it is their ship and they make the rules. I for one am super happy to see it finally happen. i stick by my first thread (#28). HIP-HIP HOORAY

Seriously cannot understand how 75 cents a day for the headwaiter is an issue for anyone taking a cruise. While I concur that we rarely need or see the HW...the cost of a beer is not going to impact my vacation at all. Actually, it is LESS than a beer.

This was in response to the folks saying it will make it more difficult to say 'well, we never saw the head waiter so remove XXX amount from his gratuity"

I personally love the new tipping plan, and if i ever do not pre-pay for MTD, I will be happy.

I have just spoken with Lois Charters, Head of Customer Experience, UK & Ireland & author of the email that sparked this thread. She has apologised for the fact the only people to receive emails appear to be in Europe. Apparently these were meant to be sent globally on the same day and Miami for some reason had not send theirs out. Nice to know us in the UK weren't being singled out for "special treatment" :)

Not surprising at all that Miami is a "little behind"!!:D For once the website over here has been updated and has the current info.

Not surprising at all that Miami is a "little behind"!!:D For once the website over here has been updated and has the current info.

like i said IT'S FINAL :D

on my next cruise (early march 2013) i am going to bring a chair from my balcony down to the front desk and sit there to see who shows up.

CAN'T WAIT:D:D:D

Archived