Gratuities to be added to sea pass account daily.

My opinion only, but, the British are not known for tipping as it is not a custom in their country. This email was out of the UK office. Possibly intended for the UK only? While it will probably show up for US cruisers eventually, I don't think it is here yet.

My opinion only, but, the British are not known for tipping as it is not a custom in their country. This email was out of the UK office. Possibly intended for the UK only? While it will probably show up for US cruisers eventually, I don't think it is here yet.

Tom quoted that his email stated ship wide? How could it be for UK cruisers only when some of us never cruise out of the UK? Are you suggesting we will have a compulsory gratuity automatically added to our seapass card on our American sailings, and you will not as you are a US resident? Surely, even RCI wouldn't allow that discrimination to happen.

Btw, we do tip in cash at the end of our vacation and that includes the recommended amount for our children too ;).

Cheek! So what if you only use the premium restaurants and already tip your cabin attendant. I won't be paying it since everything we use already has the 15% added.

Do you not eat in WindJammer for breakfast / lunch or the MDR on sea days for lunch? And if / when it goes world wide you will be paying it.....

MTD = we always pre-pay and we love it that way. We're sailing mid-March with final payment months ago, so this won't have any impact on us. We will hand out a bit extra over the week for those that go above and beyond.

We still feel that cruising, with their guidelines for tipping, is the best vacation deal out there.

So-I sail Oasis. Eat breakfast and lunch in the CL. Eat all my meals in specialty restaurants-where is my tip money going now that it is pre-paid?? Are they giving some of the tips to the CL staff for me??

what if i do room service for breakfast and lunch-and specialty dining for dinner, are they giving part of my to tip to the room service staff??

This kinda su%^&!! Big time!! :mad:

Ouch...This decision will eliminate 25% of all the CC threads. There goes the value of my popcorn stock:eek:

I am hoping so :D, sorry about the stock!

now the rush for MTD

It will be interesting to see if the MTD number increase drastically.

Good job RCI, its been a long time coming, now extend to all so we can get rid of the dispute over tips and just make it a standard service charge for all.

Not yet on the US site from what I can tell. I've asked on the UK FB page.

The RCL IT department is now meeting in Miami to figure out how to translate this from english. Their estimate is they should be able to figure it out in 2-3 days as long as they work non-stop. Word is they're having Sorrento's pizza shipped in, and expect it to be a long night:rolleyes:

If they increased staff wages, you would only be paying in the end anyway in the form of higher cruise fares. Same thing.

Some people just have a real aversion to the word tip.;)

I do hope they forego tip and call it a daily service charge. Maybe then there won't be as many tipping threads......but I suppose we'll see pigs in the sky first.:D

Some people just have a real aversion to the word tip.;)

I do hope they forego tip and call it a daily service charge. Maybe then there won't be as many tipping threads......but I suppose we'll see pigs in the sky first.:D

Hasn't cut down on the tipping threads on the NCL board;).

I can understand them implementing this in Europe, as tipping culture is different there, so the staff might not have been receiving their full tips. I'm a little surprised, though, that they would both make it automatic and increase the amount at the same time, though, even if the increase is pretty minimal.

my wife and i are personally glad to see this. it is long overdue. too many guests were "stiffing" the staff. now all those deadbeats finally will pay up. HIP HIP HOORAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

No they won't! There will just be a long line of people of at guest services making up reasons to have their tips removed. We have always tipped the recommended amount, often more, for the service we have received. The fact is until they build the tips/gratuities/service charge (whatever they are calling it this week) into the cruise price, there will always be those that continue to avoid paying!

Thing is..... it's currently implemented for UK booked cruisers regardless of where they cruise..... and when they booked..... so currently we're the only ones with this charge applied..... and will be a change to the agreed T&Cs.... I guess there's a clause in the small print that will allow for them to do that......

Archived