Beware if You Drive to Florida to Cruise on RCI

kingsgirl

Canadians (and other foreigners) need to have a special international drivers license to be able to legally drive in the state of Florida. The ban went into effect in January but it's just making the news now, apparently.

This article is out of Toronto:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/02/14/floridas_international_drivers_licence_rule_leaves_canadians_fuming.html

Just thought others would like to know in case you were planning on renting a car or are driving down from Canada that you need this license.

I apologize if this has been posted before - I did not find any searches for it.

This affects our cruise drive for us, so I wanted to get the word out to others to make sure they make it safely to port.

Posted on another message board about the same topic:

I looked this up on the FL DMV website and this is what it said:

New Law Impacts International Drivers

During the 2012 legislative session, the Florida Legislature amended section 322.04, Florida Statutes, to require visitors from outside the United States to have an International Driving Permit in order to drive lawfully in Florida. This change took effect Jan. 1, 2013.

It has come to the Department’s attention that this requirement may violate the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic (1949), an international treaty to which the United States is a signatory. Treaties to which the United States is a party preempt state laws in conflict with them.

Therefore, the Florida Highway Patrol will defer enforcement of violations of the amended statutory section until a final determination of the alignment of the amendment with the treaty can be made. Non-resident visitors to Florida who wish to drive while here will be required to have in their immediate possession a valid driver license issued in his or her name from another state or territory of the U.S. or from their country of residence. However, the FHP will not take enforcement action based solely on the lack of an International Driving Permit.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/IDP.htm

I don't understand then? Why is it being reported that you need one if you don't?

Because "thestar.com" doesn't have the newest information maybe? If I understand correctly, this law SHOULD have gone into effect Jan. 1. However, because someone pointed out to the Florida Department of Highways that the law is basically "illegal", they're not going to enforce it until things get sorted out.

However, because someone pointed out to the Florida Department of Highways that the law is basically "illegal", they're not going to enforce it until things get sorted out.

Not just illegal, but idiotic. The point of the law is to deal with licenses in foreign language. Apparently, the folks drafting the law didn't realize there are foreign countries that issue documents in English. Foreign country = foreign language, no?

Nobody has ever accused the Florida legislature of being the brightest bulbs in the box.

Something tells me that little nugget of brilliance will never be enforced. I don't think tourists are even the target of it. I won't go any further than that, for fear of sparking a much larger debate.

I agree with you. I know what you're saying

I got a international license for Europe and Rental car but never needed it or ask for it. I live in Florida and yes the thinking of some of our politicians seem to be limited. I bet they never in force it or even ask for it at a rental agency, but the only problem I see, may be if you have an accident, no matter how serious, the law could be a problem.

Funny we in Florida, maybe just me, never heard of this law.

I can see it now, Driver license wars between the rest of the world and Florida LOL

From the CAA in Canada, posted today:

"Effective January 1, 2013, section 322.04, Florida Statutes were amended to require foreign visitors who drive in Florida to obtain an International Driving Permit in addition to their valid home country driver licence.

“The intent of the change in Florida law regarding the International Driving Permit was to aid law enforcement in Florida when interacting with drivers holding a licence in a foreign language. The Department of Highway Safety will seek to clarify the law in the upcoming Legislative session, which begins next month, to make it clear that a licence already written in English would be acceptable. Until the law is clarified, drivers should obtain an IDP,” said Kirsten Olsen-Doolan, Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles spokesperson. International Driving Permits should be obtained before arriving in the U.S. Individuals should contact their home country agency for assistance. “"

I believe this will still impact drivers from Quebec as they have French on their drivers license.

From the CAA in Canada, posted today:

"Effective January 1, 2013, section 322.04, Florida Statutes were amended to require foreign visitors who drive in Florida to obtain an International Driving Permit in addition to their valid home country driver licence.

“The intent of the change in Florida law regarding the International Driving Permit was to aid law enforcement in Florida when interacting with drivers holding a licence in a foreign language. The Department of Highway Safety will seek to clarify the law in the upcoming Legislative session, which begins next month, to make it clear that a licence already written in English would be acceptable. Until the law is clarified, drivers should obtain an IDP,” said Kirsten Olsen-Doolan, Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles spokesperson. International Driving Permits should be obtained before arriving in the U.S. Individuals should contact their home country agency for assistance. “"

I believe this will still impact drivers from Quebec as they have French on their drivers license.

Please read post #2 above.

I just saw the update on the news. I guess, like many decisions made, this will be a work in progress. I will probably get one just in case before my drive down in March. They may change their minds a couple of more times by then. Thanks also for the quick pick up S.A.M.J.R.

Something tells me that little nugget of brilliance will never be enforced. I don't think tourists are even the target of it. I won't go any further than that, for fear of sparking a much larger debate.

Yep, targeted one group and didnt even realize they were hurting their bread and butter.

I am surprised that Disney and Universal havent already gotten this law overturned

Archived