Could cruise ships keep emergency port a johns on board

buffi001

I cover a lot of athletic events in my part time jobs. Why couldn't cruise

lines store (and I mean out of site) emergency port a johns that could

placed at various spots throughout the ship in the event of an emergency.

I'm sure the waste could be sealed away somewhere until the crisis passes.

From all reports, hygiene is the most obtrusive and dangerous (disease wise)

problem that the ship faces. This could eliminate, to a great extent , one of

the worst consequences of a power a failure.

Space is at a premium. Where would they store the huge things and how would they empty them? They can't just dump it overboard.:confused:

It would take too many porta johns. Each toilet is good for 300 uses. With 3000 passengers using the bathroom 3 times a day it would take 210 porta johns on a 7 day cruise. That does not include crew needs. It just takes too much space.

Besides the fact they don't have the space nor the ability to empty them, your comment about the most dangerous problem is interesting since no disease was spread aboard Triumph (or Splendour a couple of years ago) due to the "hygiene" issue. Heck, even after Katrina which was much, much worse, there was no illness spread due to lack of "facilities". Disease like that is usually spread through contaminated drinking water and food, neither of which happened. Too much speculation on the news.................

You also do realize that not all toilets were non functioning right? There was running cold water in quite a few places onboard and some functioning toilets. People just had to stand in line, just as they would have for port-a potties. Also, port-a-potties don't take much force to tip over. While it was inconvenient and uncomfortable onboard Triumph, it wasn't dangerous.

How would they pump them out??

Those babies fill up fast.:eek:

Ever open the door of one that is full and not pumped out!!!:eek:

Standing in line of the fuctioning toilets is a better option I would think.

Agree where would they store the port-a-potties.

But on the other hand

Where did they store the Red Bio-hazard bags, that were used? In a place that could have housed some (maybe 100 camper type port a potties). Then put these deposits in biohazard bags till port.

Sea Ya

next thing you know people are going to be adding these http://www.basspro.com/Luggable-Loo-Seat-and-Cover/product/45412/?cm_ven=bazaarvoice&cm_cat=RLP&cm_pla=45412&cm_ite=productname_link to their duct tape, flashlight, bungee cord, over the door shoe holder, highlighter, white board lists

Don't forget baby wipes.

Sea Ya

It would better if they carried a competent marine electrician, and sufficient back-up cable and spare parts (not that much - the smallest Navy ships do this) to restore sufficient power to operate crucial services. This would require less space (and possibly be less costly) than carrying sufficient port-a-johns (plus necessary waste storage facilities) to serve some 4,000 people.

you have to be joking

Lets see. You could have about 7000 souls on the larger ships so one wonders how many porta potties. And how bout all my fellow men who love to read in the bathroom. If a bunch of us took over the porta potties then the ladies would be very unhappy. Reports from the Triumph were that some passengers were hoarding food. I wonder if some of these same selfish idiots would quietly hoard the porta potties and perhaps hide them in their cabins :)

Hank

Why couldn't cruise lines store (and I mean out of site) emergency port a johns that could placed at various spots throughout the ship in the event of an emergency.
:confused: I'm confused. How could they be "out of site" and still be available in the first place? Putting aside all of the other valid logistical issues others have mentioned, what good are they if they aren't on site? All of the porta potties in the world were off the Carnival Triumph as it was. ;)

It's space prohibitive to have porta-potties on the ship. But maybe something like this product...I'm actually thinking of bringing a dozen or so with me the next time I sail.....

myV04a6D2rRsojN1uIoU-vUonGvKY6zsJDBiJsu3_kmRJsIJnyZaOli0y6fUUxM-Z1IqCeXJEfiq1PEfKdy-28MnZU6dgNi-a2QhKy6z7MTs2NAg8W-vuUeeXfnw1pVYNa2YZkdbUkg6efwMGSBQ9jBX2iKzluB3JXabNMe-EqL22pwqONOz=s220-c

The description indicates that the inner bag has a bio-gel in it and the bag can be placed down in the toilet with the elastic top streched over the toilet seat....then it has a double bag sealing system that is puncture proof and makes disposal easy.

I would sure rather try that (in the privacy of my own cabin) than sitting on a 5 gallon bucket in a public restroom.

It's space prohibitive to have porta-potties on the ship. But maybe something like this product...I'm actually thinking of bringing a dozen or so with me the next time I sail.....

myV04a6D2rRsojN1uIoU-vUonGvKY6zsJDBiJsu3_kmRJsIJnyZaOli0y6fUUxM-Z1IqCeXJEfiq1PEfKdy-28MnZU6dgNi-a2QhKy6z7MTs2NAg8W-vuUeeXfnw1pVYNa2YZkdbUkg6efwMGSBQ9jBX2iKzluB3JXabNMe-EqL22pwqONOz=s220-c

The description indicates that the inner bag has a bio-gel in it and the bag can be placed down in the toilet with the elastic top streched over the toilet seat....then it has a double bag sealing system that is puncture proof and makes disposal easy.

I would sure rather try that (in the privacy of my own cabin) than sitting on a 5 gallon bucket in a public restroom.

We use something like that for camping. Lasts about half dozen poos, can stretch to maybe a dozen, :p, then it gets gross.:rolleyes:

Start watching for people boarding with this new style back pack::p

10600.jpg

Rumor has it that Carnival is going to start selling these in all of their gift shops!! It came from a good source as I'm pretty sure I read it here on a CC thread!

It would better if they carried a competent marine electrician, and sufficient back-up cable and spare parts (not that much - the smallest Navy ships do this) to restore sufficient power to operate crucial services. This would require less space (and possibly be less costly) than carrying sufficient port-a-johns (plus necessary waste storage facilities) to serve some 4,000 people.

Is it remotely possible these ships sail without marine electricians? I can't imagine that.

Rumor has it that Carnival is going to start selling these in all of their gift shops!! It came from a good source as I'm pretty sure I read it here on a CC thread!

Will they have a whale's tail logo on the bag and boxes? :eek: :D

We use something like that for camping. Lasts about half dozen poos, can stretch to maybe a dozen, :p, then it gets gross.:rolleyes:

I never use the outer zippered compartment on my large suitcase....would a dozen (taken out of the box) fit in there????

I think I read online that you can buy these at Bass Pro and Cabela's....where do you get yours?

Archived