Dress Code for Children Question...

de5

My DS is 14. He has been cruising his whole life and whenever these threads come up and I ask HIS opinion he says that he would e uncomfortable in shorts at dinner, it is just not appropriate to the atmosphere and he generally also says he thinks poorly of other teens who are too sloppy to even bother to follow the dress code bust still show up in the MDR.

So, there is a teen oy perspective if you want one :)

My DS is 14. He has been cruising his whole life and whenever these threads come up and I ask HIS opinion he says that he would e uncomfortable in shorts at dinner, it is just not appropriate to the atmosphere and he generally also says he thinks poorly of other teens who are too sloppy to even bother to follow the dress code bust still show up in the MDR.

Sounds like you're doing a good job there. :) His attitude will help when he eventually gets a job and has to "dress up" a bit for work - it's not all about what the individual wants, it's what's appropriate for the situation.

the suggested attire listed does NOT differentiate based on age.

Shorts aren't for dinner, unless you are a toddler in diapers. Shorts are fine for breakfast and lunch in the dining room for anyone...just not at dinner. Polo/golf shirts are perfectly fine!

OP...The best two answers to your question.

I think for young (under 13) kids a pair of khakis or dress pants and a nice polo or button down are fine. I always let my son wear nice black "dress sneakers". As long as they are neat and presentable, I dont see a problem. If what your child is wearing is that much of a problem for other people, that's THEIR problem. Honestly, my son doesnt have occasion to wear a suit EVER, and its not dollar-smart for me to buy one just to wear on a cruise. We go once a year and at his growth rate, it would only be worn once and have to be replaced the following year when we cruise.

Bravo. You've done a great job with him - apparently he learns by example. He will go a lot further in life than kids who are taught that rules simply don't apply to them.

the suggested attire listed does NOT differentiate based on age.

Right here is your answer, the dress suggestions posted apply to all. I am pretty sure somewhere in the wording it states this.

Personally we have always had my son wear pants in the dining room. We bring 2 pairs for him (one dark, one khaki). He rotates through them during the week matching with polos or button downs depending on the day. He adds a tie and sometimes jacket (depending on growth spurts and what we can get) for formal night.

After dinner he goes back to the cabin and changes back into his basketball shorts and is off with his friends. The 2 pairs of pants (which can be purchased inexpensively) last the week.

We do give on the shoes, again depending on growth, and let him wear nice black sneakers, but otherwise he sticks to the same attire as us. Never once has he fought back, he realizes if he wants to cruise this is just something that is part of it.

I like to write larger, shorter, and space it out more.

Just to make it easier to read and digest..

But your right, I am not a typical cruise person.

I don't go to shows, parties, activities, sales, lectures, bingo, slots, tours, early arrivals, photos, art auctions, ship excursions, ect.

But most of the time my replies are pretty accurate...

From a Mom,Grandma,Great Grandma this time your reply is not accurate.Best way there is for children to learn manners is properly dressed for dinner in the DR.

On formal nights my DS wears a dress shirt (no tie) and dress pants. On other nights he will wear a polo and shorts or khakis.

You will see most boys dressed like that.

IMO as long as it a collard shirt and they look nice its all good.

I loved the quote. " My manners matter more than my dress" I am going to use that one with my kids.

I can only reply from our experience in the MDR. I bring khaki trousers and polo type shirts for casual nights, nicer shirts/tie with a better pant for formal night.

Then we go to the MDR and watch the parade of various clothing enter. I have seen teen girls with skirts/shorts so short I can almost see their girl parts. I have seen boys (young to older teen) wearing basketball shorts that are so long and hang so low I can't figure out how they don't trip.

I have also see many, many teen boys in nice, what I might call dress shorts. Good quality, nice fit, with a nice shirt. In my experience, that is what I see the most of in the MDR. I do get the boys to wear the long pants, but when you see all those around you, similarly aged, wearing shorts, it's hard to go with the "well, they don't respect the suggested dress code" or "well, they surely must be embarrassed."

The boys are clean and look decent. I want to go with what is suggested, but when you see constant reminders that the line is not going to enforce it, it's harder and harder to do.

Let them wear whatever you want.

Pretty much anything is fine and nobody will even notice.

The people on this website are not a good portrayal of the people on the ship.

Many here will suggest what they want your kids to wear...

I agree with your comment: 'many will suggest what they want your kids to wear'. So do you have any sons around the OP's age? If so, how do they dress for dinner in the MDR :confused:? Just wondered, as like you said, many quote what they would do, yet don't even have sons around the age of the OP's. I realise one can give an opinion, however most OPs, I'm sure, would prefer answers from experience (I know I do) :).

Our boys both dress smartly for formal nights in dark trousers and shirt and tie. Our youngest also likes to wear a waistcoat or jacket. This is their preference as they like to think they have made an effort (a special time), not just for themselves, but for others enjoying their time in the dining room.

On casual nights, they wear long trousers and a polo shirt. Now we will be cruising in the Caribbean for the first time this year and I'm presuming this will be the case there too i.e. that most cruisers like to make an effort for the MDR or use the buffet if they prefer the more casual approach of shorts for dinner?

I just have to respond to these posts. I don't know how to quote multiple posts so I just will respond in general.

First, RCI made the "rules" for how to dress. RCI obviously doesn't really care about the "rules" because they don't enforce them (or so I've heard). If the people who made the "rules" don't care about them, I don't understand why so many people on this message board care about them so much. The "rules" seem more important to people here than to RCI. And I am putting "rules" in quotes because they don't really seem to be rules as far as RCI is concerned.

Second, the whole idea that how my 12 year old son dresses for dinner on vacation is somehow tied to his long term job prospects is absurd. He knows to dress up when it is an important occasion. Dinner on vacation is not an important occasion. He has dressed up recently (without complaint) when going to a wedding and participating in a concert. These are much more important events than dinner on vacation.

Third, the suggestion that this is somehow related to good manners is equally absurd. If your opinion of good manners is getting dressed up for dinner on vacation than you are perfectly entitled to teach your children that. I disagree that this has anything to do with manners. It has to do with following an arbitrary rule that is not enforced.

Finally, for those who say it is not appropriate to pick and choose which rules to follow, do you all drive under 65mph on the highway? Or do you really go as fast as you can before you start getting worried about being pulled over? And that isn't even a rule made by a cruise line - that is the law. Do you really teach your children never to challenge a rule? Challenging rules when they are wrong and forcing change is one of the ways that society has improved over the ages. I just cringe when I hear about people raising good little rule followers.

I just have to respond to these posts. I don't know how to quote multiple posts so I just will respond in general.

First, RCI made the "rules" for how to dress. RCI obviously doesn't really care about the "rules" because they don't enforce them (or so I've heard). If the people who made the "rules" don't care about them, I don't understand why so many people on this message board care about them so much. The "rules" seem more important to people here than to RCI. And I am putting "rules" in quotes because they don't really seem to be rules as far as RCI is concerned.

Second, the whole idea that how my 12 year old son dresses for dinner on vacation is somehow tied to his long term job prospects is absurd. He knows to dress up when it is an important occasion. Dinner on vacation is not an important occasion. He has dressed up recently (without complaint) when going to a wedding and participating in a concert. These are much more important events than dinner on vacation.

Third, the suggestion that this is somehow related to good manners is equally absurd. If your opinion of good manners is getting dressed up for dinner on vacation than you are perfectly entitled to teach your children that. I disagree that this has anything to do with manners. It has to do with following an arbitrary rule that is not enforced.

Finally, for those who say it is not appropriate to pick and choose which rules to follow, do you all drive under 65mph on the highway? Or do you really go as fast as you can before you start getting worried about being pulled over? And that isn't even a rule made by a cruise line - that is the law. Do you really teach your children never to challenge a rule? Challenging rules when they are wrong and forcing change is one of the ways that society has improved over the ages. I just cringe when I hear about people raising good little rule followers.

Wow, glad you are in the minority.Where would we be without rules?:(

Finally, for those who say it is not appropriate to pick and choose which rules to follow, do you all drive under 65mph on the highway? Or do you really go as fast as you can before you start getting worried about being pulled over? And that isn't even a rule made by a cruise line - that is the law. Do you really teach your children never to challenge a rule? Challenging rules when they are wrong and forcing change is one of the ways that society has improved over the ages. I just cringe

when I hear about people raising good little rule followers.

Perhaps it's a cultural difference for us because whether we take a land based vacation or cruise, we always shower and change for dinner ;). We have never walked from the beach straight into the dining room of any hotel or cruise ship for dinner (which is why I asked if this was the norm in the Caribbean?).

As I previously stated, if we were going to a fast food outlet i.e. MacDonalds then maybe so, but not into a beautiful dining room. Just our preference, something that was instilled into us when we were younger by our parents (not so much a rule as being polite and courteous of our surroundings - similar to removing your hat in church). I'm sorry if you do not concur, but I personally think it's nice to make an effort for at least a couple of weeks out of the year - makes it special :). If they go to AO after dinner, they do change back into play clothes as soon as dinner is over.

Btw, we do have rules in our house otherwise it would be complete anarchy. Kids playing on xboxes all night - no thanks, I'll continue making them follow rules (usually mutually agreed) whilst they live under my roof ;). Now to fight against injustices is a totally different matter completely. Hopefully, they don't see my rules as an injustice :D.

I took the liberty of highlighting a few of your words above. This is how I would respond to you on this matter. I do think that this has very much to do with manners, and how you dress is not really tied to it being "on vacation" no matter how many times you repeat it.

Dressing appropriately for the venue is a matter of manners. RCI says that shorts are not appropriate for dinner in the main dining room. As you say, this is not a LAW; it is a request. I'm not surprised that it is not something they enforce. They are not interested in making a scene over something like this. Similarly, I wouldn't make a scene about it, if I held a formal dinner party at my home, and someone showed up looking like they just came from the playground. I wouldn't tell them to get out. RCI is not likely to tell you to get out of the dining room, either. It just means that you are ignoring their request that you dress appropriately.

It's not really about "on vacation." I don't think you'd draw that distinction, if you were "on vacation," when you went to that wedding or concert. Would you? This is about respect and not "raising little rule followers." Don't give me any crap about it teaching your kids to challenge rules that are wrong, in order to better society. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong. If I'm on a cruise, and you and your family show up in the dining room wearing shorts, it's not really going to bother me. This is not a life or death issue. But knowing that it is pretty clearly stated that shorts are inappropriate, it might cause me to form an initial impression about your manners.

Seems people are suggesting 1 of 2 things, dress up or dressdown.

People that go far in society today understand that dress "laws" are subjective, but still dress appropriate when expected.

shorts on formal night - not appropriate - age not a factor

formal jacket and tie - not necessary, but if you have them, like them wear them - if not do not go out and buy them

nice shirt and long pants -I see a lot of men dress this way - all ages from kids on up

shorts on non formal nights - should you wear them, probably not - lots do, each to their own, what does the male influence in your family wear??

Where is our culture going if we all dress like slobs all the time? Never to young to teach kids respect for others - not just do as you want!

I didn't mean to cause so much trouble. Since we have never been on a cruise before I thought it was a valid question. I knew that shorts were not acceptable for adults but wasn't sure about children especially since it is a Spring Break cruise.

I didn't mean to cause so much trouble. Since we have never been on a cruise before I thought it was a valid question. I knew that shorts were not acceptable for adults but wasn't sure about children especially since it is a Spring Break cruise.

Not your fault at all. This debate usually goes on about once every 2 or 3 weeks on these boards.

To the person that said I won't dress up on MY vacation or similar such words they were, you chose to travel on a cruise ship for YOUR vacation. If you go to dinner in the main dining room it is expected (not a rule, but a suggestion) that you dress appropriately. If you want YOUR vacation to be a relaxed, casual one where you can dress in shorts, bathing suits, etc choose an appropriate location/venue. What I don't see is how is this different than going out to dinner at home. If you go to a nicer restaurant, would you show up in basketball shorts and t-shirt, or would you dress a little nicer? Why not use the same judgement on a cruise?

OP, I have a 13yr old who has been on a few cruises. I stressed over this the first time as he had no clothes that were deemed appropriate and he is again in that situation. I will do what i have always done, buy two pairs of kahkis to bring along and a collared shirt for the formal nights and he will wear nice plaid shorts and a polo shirt every other night. I always stress about shoes but will try and find a cheap pair of "deck" shoes that look ok with either typs of outft. He is always dressed just fine. I think his behavior in the MDR during the meal is a much better indication of his manners than how he is dressed.

He LOVES the MDR and is willing to dress as well as needed to have the opportunity to go have some steak and lobster tail :) It just costs me more money since he outgrows whatever i buy him before the next cruise.

Once our garment bag with some of our formal clothes did not make it to the ship. RCI gave my DH and DS, 12 years old, use of tuxedos. My son did not take it off all night! Nice change from shorts and t shirts he usually wears. Would have been nice photos except what I had to wear :eek:

We'll be on Jewel in 5 weeks. We have two boys, age 9 and 7. I took them to Kohl's earlier this week with my 30% off coupon, and stocked up on polo shirts, long shirts, dress pants, and ties. The boys are actually really excited about dressing up "fancy" - we never do it at home, so this is something new and fun for them. :)

It's a cruise - we're there to have fun and experience new things- including how we dress. There's plenty of time during the day and after dinner for them to scurry around in shorts and t-shirts.

Archived