Cruising without a Passport is just nutz!

Hlitner

We are going to resurrect this oft discussed topic. As frequent international travelers we always have a valid passport and have long recommended that any cruiser on closed-loop cruises spend the extra money and get a passport. Relying on a Birth Certificate and picture ID is supposed to be sufficient, but is full of risks. There is a new post on the Holland America board (Feb 16) posted by a couple who was left stranded on a Florida dock because the authorities at the port were not satisfied with their Birth Certificate documentation. This happened despite the posters insistence that HA had assured him (over the phone) that his Birth Certificate would be fine. Does this happen often? No. But passengers being denied boarding due to insufficient documentation does happen nearly every day and we have witnessed passengers literally crying at the port.

So, if you want to take a chance then go ahead and use a BC and picture ID. If you want complete peace of mind with no possibility of denied boarding then get yourself a Passport.

Hank

I am completely uncomfortable with cruising without a passport, but our kids will be cruising without them this summer. It's not the optimal solution, but we don't really have a choice. For my 2 SD's, their mother won't allow them to get passports. They have been BEGGING to go to Atlantis, so going on a cruise to get there is our only option since she won't let us get them passports.

For my DD, my DH adopted her in December, so we are still waiting on proper documentation from the state. If we get it soon, we'll have a passport for her, otherwise, all three of our kids will be without passports.

The whole situation makes me nervous, but I can't force my DH's ex wife to be sensible in this situation, and I certainly can't hurry the government for my DD's.

:(

I totally agree 100%.

My dh and I are cruising in April and treating my son and his college roommate to a cruise. We paid for everything; cruise (their own cabin), pre-paid gratuties, travel ins, airfare, their own pre-cruise hotel room, restaurant meals, shuttle service and excursions. Our only request to the roommate what that he obtain his passport. We booked several months out and I gave him until our final payment date to do so. I was flamed on another post for "insisting" that he do so but I feel that if this and his spending money was his only expense, then I was justified in the request. I would never leave him at the dock, waving good-bye as other's commented, so making sure that he had his passport just made me feel entirely better about the trip.

There are just too many things that can go wrong. It is always better to be prepared.

In addition, I would never trust what fellow cruisers or cruiseline employees say about documents being "ok" to cruise with. The only 100% guarantee that your're getting on that ship is with a Passport.

JMHO

:)

I am completely uncomfortable with cruising without a passport, but our kids will be cruising without them this summer. It's not the optimal solution, but we don't really have a choice. For my 2 SD's, their mother won't allow them to get passports. They have been BEGGING to go to Atlantis, so going on a cruise to get there is our only option since she won't let us get them passports.

For my DD, my DH adopted her in December, so we are still waiting on proper documentation from the state. If we get it soon, we'll have a passport for her, otherwise, all three of our kids will be without passports.

The whole situation makes me nervous, but I can't force my DH's ex wife to be sensible in this situation, and I certainly can't hurry the government for my DD's.

:(

Hope the EX will give written permission for the children to travel out of the Country ..that is another form you will need to provide

DH and his XW have joint custody. According to the cruise line's FAQ, the parental consent form is only required if the kids are traveling with someone who is not their parent?

Not true--An international treaty that the US and Canada are both party to requires the absent parent to provide a notarized letter of consent to remove the children from the country.

I totally agree 100%.

My dh and I are cruising in April and treating my son and his college roommate to a cruise. We paid for everything; cruise (their own cabin), pre-paid gratuties, travel ins, airfare, their own pre-cruise hotel room, restaurant meals, shuttle service and excursions. Our only request to the roommate what that he obtain his passport. We booked several months out and I gave him until our final payment date to do so. I was flamed on another post for "insisting" that he do so but I feel that if this and his spending money was his only expense, then I was justified in the request. I would never leave him at the dock, waving good-bye as other's commented, so making sure that he had his passport just made me feel entirely better about the trip.

There are just too many things that can go wrong. It is always better to be prepared.

In addition, I would never trust what fellow cruisers or cruiseline employees say about documents being "ok" to cruise with. The only 100% guarantee that your're getting on that ship is with a Passport.

JMHO

:)

That's incredibly generous and I think you totally had the right to require him to get a passport. Who would argue that, considering he was getting a completely free cruise?

DH and his XW have joint custody. According to the cruise line's FAQ, the parental consent form is only required if the kids are traveling with someone who is not their parent?

Not true--An international treaty that the US and Canada are both party to requires the absent parent to provide a notarized letter of consent to remove the children from the country.

WE have read here far too many times that as long as one parent was with the child, no letter necessary but common sense tells you that cannot be true. How many times do we hear of a parental kidnapping?

If you are taking your child out of the country without the other parent being with you, Get the letter. They may not ask for it but if they do and you don't have it, in proper form, indicating all pertinent information and notarized, the child will not be boarding the ship.

Have you looked at the form?

It clearly states both Parents must sign

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/ParentGuardianForm_01302012b.pdf

In this day and age, anyone who travels outside the country whether they absolutely must have it or not, makes no sense to me at all.

If the cost is too high, then save for a little longer until you can afford it. It is a necessary cost of travel and it defies all of my simple logic to think of any sensible person traveling even the one cruise they plan to take, and never plan to travel again..........

GET a Passport.

How many stories of anxiety, worry, disappointment, loss of fares, pain do we have to read before the message gets through?

Have you looked at the form?

It clearly states both Parents must sign

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/ParentGuardianForm_01302012b.pdf

It clearly states that it must be completed by both parents if the child is not traveling with at least one parent or legal guardian. (In the white lettering on red background at the top of the page)

I too would never consider leaving the country wihtout a passport. However, I can sort of understand for those who have never left home and are bookib\ng a cheapo short cruise for $149 per person that it would seem like sticker shock to then pay almost as much for a passport as they paid for their cruise fare.

I too would never consider leaving the country wihtout a passport. However, I can sort of understand for those who have never left home and are bookib\ng a cheapo short cruise for $149 per person that it would seem like sticker shock to then pay almost as much for a passport as they paid for their cruise fare.

Agree..so let's not classify everyone as "Nutz" as the OP did, a little unfair to those in certain situations..Just be happy for them that they are able to go on a cruise..;):)

Not trying to hijack the thread, so I'm just going to ask this and then say please return to your discussion of non-passport-haver's nuttiness...

Can you please provide a link showing that requirement? I tried to find it, and just found this link from Border Control stating that the US does NOT require documentation from the absent parent, but does recommend it. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

But someone has to explain to them the 'What Ifs' should they get stranded somewhere. Just like buying insurance (home, car, travel) - odds are you'll never need it... BUT ????

Not trying to hijack the thread, so I'm just going to ask this and then say please return to your discussion of non-passport-haver's nuttiness...

Can you please provide a link showing that requirement? I tried to find it, and just found this link from Border Control stating that the US does NOT require documentation from the absent parent, but does recommend it. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

It's the Hague Convention. It's not just leaving the US with the child, it's also entering another country with them. It's no different than an airline reviewing your passport before you get on an international flight. It's not that you need it to leave the US, but you better have one to get into whatever country you're headed to.

It clearly states that it must be completed by both parents if the child is not traveling with at least one parent or legal guardian. (In the white lettering on red background at the top of the page)

Under that box is PLEASE NOTE

You can read it anyway you want ..just hope you are not denied boarding & lose your money

I have no dog in this fight but just pointing out the facts

To some first time cruisers , maybe those who never travel and think this will be their only cruise ever, it seems an unnecessary expense. I say its about time for Obama to raise PP prices again.I remember last time they announced price increases. I found out the new increase for extra pages in PP would be $86. (currently free). So I went over to Miami to get my free pages added on last day. Me and at least 500 others. In Miami one can get a PP that day if need is proven. Also in Miami one is supposed to bring PP to closing and for rental leases. So it is also the best form of identification.

It's $110 and is good for 10 years. Costs more if you need to expedite it.

So if you look at it from a cost over it's lifetime it is really cheap. Like $11.00 a year. I would not even think twice - get a passport!!! I can't imagine leaving your country without one.

Archived