Cruising without a Passport is just nutz!

Hlitner

We are going to resurrect this oft discussed topic. As frequent international travelers we always have a valid passport and have long recommended that any cruiser on closed-loop cruises spend the extra money and get a passport. Relying on a Birth Certificate and picture ID is supposed to be sufficient, but is full of risks. There is a new post on the Holland America board (Feb 16) posted by a couple who was left stranded on a Florida dock because the authorities at the port were not satisfied with their Birth Certificate documentation. This happened despite the posters insistence that HA had assured him (over the phone) that his Birth Certificate would be fine. Does this happen often? No. But passengers being denied boarding due to insufficient documentation does happen nearly every day and we have witnessed passengers literally crying at the port.

So, if you want to take a chance then go ahead and use a BC and picture ID. If you want complete peace of mind with no possibility of denied boarding then get yourself a Passport.

Hank

I took that advice and now have my first ever US passport book. My first cruise will technically be "closed loop" and only requires a BC, but if an emergency required me to leave the ship in Halifax and fly home I would be screwed with just a BC.

Now that I have it, it just hammers home how many travel opportunites I let pass by. (See a great deal to Italy? Opps - can't book - don't have a passport.)

I'm not a US citizen. Consequently, I always have to cruise with a passport. Simple!

I'm always bemused by the numerous posts from Americans, asking "Do I need a passport for this cruise?"

IMHO the US government did its citizens no favours by creating all the exceptions to passport requirements, and also by creating the passport card.

Celle, the Passport Card would be a handy wallet card for somebody who must regularly drive between the US and Canada or Mexico. (This is a big country!) But aside from that, in my unhumble opionion it makes no sense to cruise with a Passport Card. The main shortcoming with the Passport Card is that it cannot be used for air travel. Leaving a ship early - or missing a ship -usually involves unplanned air travel. No Passport BOOK, no boarding an international flight.

I'm not a US citizen. Consequently, I always have to cruise with a passport. Simple!

I'm always bemused by the numerous posts from Americans, asking "Do I need a passport for this cruise?"

IMHO the US government did its citizens no favours by creating all the exceptions to passport requirements, and also by creating the passport card.

I agree with you except for the passport card. This is a very useful item for those who live along the Canadian and Mexican borders and regularly cross into those counties by land for work, education. or shopping. That should actually be the only use for it though.

Are you also bemused by the act that no passport is required to travel within the Schengen area in Europe? Should citizens of Schengen countries also get a passport if traveling internationally with that area even though their governments allow them to travel without one?

Why not try treating adults like adults and allow them to use whatever documentation is permitted by their government rather than looking down your nose at them with a holier-than-thou attitude? I can guarantee out that lots of Brits and Kiwis would take advantage of laws allowing them to do limited international travel without a passport if such laws existed.

Why not try treating adults like adults and allow them to use whatever documentation is permitted by their government rather than looking down your nose at them with a holier-than-thou attitude? I can guarantee out that lots of Brits and Kiwis would take advantage of laws allowing them to do limited international travel without a passport if such laws existed.

The flights from NZ and Australia to anywhere else other than the pacific islands are that cost prohibitive compared to US to Mexico, Canada or Carribean that getting a passport is a non issue. People just accept it.

The flights from NZ and Australia to anywhere else other than the pacific islands are that cost prohibitive compared to US to Mexico, Canada or Carribean that getting a passport is a non issue. People just accept it.

Many Americans 'just accept' they should have a passport and go about their business of getting one. You don't hear so much from them because they have no issue to discuss. They wish to travel internationally so they get the recognized best personal ID....... a passport. They don't need to ask if 'they need a passport?" They have one.

OK, the Triumph needed to go to Mobile and the 900 people without a passport was a non-issue.

But would you gamble that it will always be a non-issue? For example, I was on the Caribbean Princess when it stopped with an engine problem, shortly outside of the Aruba harbor. Luckily, the delay was only 3 hours and the problem was fixed. But suppose it hadn't been? What if the problem had been more serious? There would be no option of towing a ship to a US port in that situation. We would have been towed back to Aruba, and possibly had to find our way home from there.

Unless I were going on a cruise that doesn't leave the US border too far behind (Gulf of Mexico, Pacific Coastal, New England/Canada), I wouldn't be so sanguine that I'd be able to deal with an incident on a ship and get home without a passport.

OK, the Triumph needed to go to Mobile and the 900 people without a passport was a non-issue.

But would you gamble that it will always be a non-issue? For example, I was on the Caribbean Princess when it stopped with an engine problem, shortly outside of the Aruba harbor. Luckily, the delay was only 3 hours and the problem was fixed. But suppose it hadn't been? What if the problem had been more serious? There would be no option of towing a ship to a US port in that situation. We would have been towed back to Aruba, and possibly had to find our way home from there.

Unless I were going on a cruise that doesn't leave the US border too far behind (Gulf of Mexico, Pacific Coastal, New England/Canada), I wouldn't be so sanguine that I'd be able to deal with an incident on a ship and get home without a passport.

Having to go to Aruba would have been no different than if the Triumph had ended up being towed to Mexico. You wouldn't be "on your own". The cruise line would have to charter planes to take the passengers back to the US, just as they were planning to do if the Triumph ended up in Mexico, and the cruise line would make arrangements with DHS to allow an exception to the usual rules requiring a passport, just as Carnival had done for the Triumph passengers.

By the way, here's something that hasn't been mentioned (at least I haven't seen it mentioned) about the Carnival Triumph/passengers without passports issue.

Once the Triumph was towed to Mobile (or it could have been to any port other than Galveston), it was no longer a closed loop cruise. As a result those passengers who had boarded the cruise with birth certificates and drivers licenses no longer had valid documentation anyway. DHS had to grant an exception to the legal requirements for those passengers to be allowed to disembark in Mobile, just as they would have been required to have an exception granted to fly home from Mexico. It shows that the whole "issue" about passengers not having passports forcing the ship to be towed to the US was bogus. A waiver of the rules was required in either case.

You also have not seen anything mentioned about the PVSA violation that happened. I suspect because fewer people have personal opinions on the PVSA than do on passport ownership.;)

I was thinking about PVSA and would not be the least surprised if Carnival got hit with $300 per person fine for violating the terms of PVSA. Of course, they'll argue 'circumstances' but that might not work. Even for a dead body, an application of waiver of fine for violation must be filed if the body is brought home from other than disembarktion port and it is not automatically granted, I've been told.

Colombia? Why would that country be in the discussion? It's nowhere near where the Triumph was located.Any cruise that has Colombia on the itinerary would require the passengers to have a passport anyway.

Mexico allows cruise ship passengers to enter the country without a passport, so that wasn't an issue as long as the passengers were not staying overnight in Mexico.

Because my earlier example was instead of the Carnival Triumph being near Mexico what if the NCL Sun closed loop Miami to Miami cruise had an emergency and had to be towed to Columbia because this is one of the ports on the 11 day regular cruise? What would happen then? It's a legitimate question when we are talking about closed loop cruises where US citizens do not need to have passports. It's not the staying for a day part that I am interested in learning about. How would people fly out without passports?

It would depend on how many pax are affected, but likely the Cruiseline would charter aircraft and the consulate would issue a blanket travel exception letter that would allow pax to return with their BC and ID. Worst case they would have to wait until a short term passport could be issued. Yes, hundreds of applicants at the same time would slow down the process considerably, which is why State would likely issue a blanket letter. Upon arrival in the US there would be additional review and verification of each person arriving under a travel letter.

We are going to resurrect this oft discussed topic. As frequent international travelers we always have a valid passport and have long recommended that any cruiser on closed-loop cruises spend the extra money and get a passport. Relying on a Birth Certificate and picture ID is supposed to be sufficient, but is full of risks. There is a new post on the Holland America board (Feb 16) posted by a couple who was left stranded on a Florida dock because the authorities at the port were not satisfied with their Birth Certificate documentation. This happened despite the posters insistence that HA had assured him (over the phone) that his Birth Certificate would be fine. Does this happen often? No. But passengers being denied boarding due to insufficient documentation does happen nearly every day and we have witnessed passengers literally crying at the port.

So, if you want to take a chance then go ahead and use a BC and picture ID. If you want complete peace of mind with no possibility of denied boarding then get yourself a Passport.

Hank

My question is why do you care what anyone else chooses for documentation? It is legal for US citizens to sail on a closed loop cruise without a passport...your opinion doesn't matter. If a person chooses to do this then they take the responsibilty for making sure they have the proper documentation. They also take on the risk, extremely small risk, of something happening requiring them to get governmental assistance to get home. Again this is a small risk, which is not insurmountable. This was proven with the Triumph incident when those 900 passengers were able to enter the US through a port different from the one they entered....a direct violation of the closed loop exception to the passport rules. They ended up getting home at the same time as everyone elsewho had a passport....because the government gave them an exception for an emergency.

We have sailed 9 times without a passport with absolutely no issues. Our choice and right given to us by the US government. We choose to not spend our money on something that is not required for a risk that is too small for us to worry about. This will change in the near future because DH and I will be going on our first cruise without kids. DS(18) and DD(16) will be left home alone for the first time. What worries me more than being stranded on an island for an extended period of time, is one of these relatively new drivers getting into an accident on their way to college or dance class and my not being able to get to them as quickly as I possibly can. This is a much more probable risk that I am not willing to take. For this reason only are we getting passports. Again, our choice for our reasons. What others choose is there business, not mine or yours, and if they choose not to get a passport for whatever reason that is their choice and their right.

I have travelled with a passport since 2006 - my first real vacation post 9/11. Canada wasn't making it mandatory until 2007 but I wanted to get ahead of the rush. Since we essentially can't leave Canada without one now it seems so 'foreign' to debate getting one.

I can't imagine if there was an emergency at home during a cruise and not being able to get off the ship, head to the airport and get home. Even worse would be missing the ship due to whatever reason and not being able to hop a plane and meet up with the ship. Without the passport you're stuck wherever you landed for a vacation you weren't planning on as well as $$$ out of your pocket :(

I agree with you except for the passport card. This is a very useful item for those who live along the Canadian and Mexican borders and regularly cross into those counties by land for work, education. or shopping. That should actually be the only use for it though.

Sure, but what I'm talking about is the number of people who are confused by the purpose of the passport card, and who ask "Should I get a passport book, or will a card do?"

I agree that the card is a useful thing to have as secondary ID and I would get it for that purpose, if I had the option. However, I would never contemplate getting just the card. It isn't what the rest of the world means when we talk of a passport.

I understand that some people prefer to use the passport card as ID when taking US domestic flights as, unlike the driving licence, it does not show a home address.

Are you also bemused by the act that no passport is required to travel within the Schengen area in Europe? Should citizens of Schengen countries also get a passport if traveling internationally with that area even though their governments allow them to travel without one?

Oh get off your high horse and stop making personal attacks - they're against CC rules My comments were far more moderate than some on this thread.

The Schengen rules are much more cut and dried than the US rules, which have various exceptions and alternatives.

Yes, I expect UK and NZ citizens would enjoy some travel without the need for a passport. However, since we have have long been used to needing a passport, we'd probably have one anyway.

Oh get off your high horse and stop making personal attacks - they're against CC rules My comments were far more moderate than some on this thread.

The Schengen rules are much more cut and dried than the US rules, which have various exceptions and alternatives.

Yes, I expect UK and NZ citizens would enjoy some travel without the need for a passport. However, since we have have long been used to needing a passport, we'd probably have one anyway.

Yes, it's perfectly OK for you to attack and insult Americans in general, because that's not an attack on any one person. :rolleyes:

It's so typical of the arrogant attitude displayed by so many Brits, Kiwis and Ozzies on this board who think their way of doing things is the only way.

I totally agree 100%.

My dh and I are cruising in April and treating my son and his college roommate to a cruise. We paid for everything; cruise (their own cabin), pre-paid gratuties, travel ins, airfare, their own pre-cruise hotel room, restaurant meals, shuttle service and excursions. Our only request to the roommate what that he obtain his passport. We booked several months out and I gave him until our final payment date to do so. I was flamed on another post for "insisting" that he do so but I feel that if this and his spending money was his only expense, then I was justified in the request. I would never leave him at the dock, waving good-bye as other's commented, so making sure that he had his passport just made me feel entirely better about the trip.

That is amazingly generous of you, to pay for your son's roommate to come along on your cruise. Please tell me that his answer was "Of course, Mrs. Hoosier, I will get a passport right away, and when it comes, I'll show it to you so you'll know I have it and you can put your mind at ease. And will you let me treat you to a meal at one of the specialty restaurants?"

That is amazingly generous of you, to pay for your son's roommate to come along on your cruise. Please tell me that his answer was "Of course, Mrs. Hoosier, I will get a passport right away, and when it comes, I'll show it to you so you'll know I have it and you can put your mind at ease. And will you let me treat you to a meal at one of the specialty restaurants?"

LOL, yes, he obtained his in plenty of time before our final payment date.

We were originally just going to treat my son to the cruise but the solo-rates were almost as much as adding another person......besides, I thought that my son would benefit from having someone his own age to hang around with.

Our decision for paying all of his expenses, stems from the fact that his father has passed away and his mother has major health problems. The friend is working full time and putting himself through college. I respect his work ethic. He, as well as my son, IMO, are really good kids. They are both in the RN program and work full time with the elderly at a nursing home close to school.

The trip is just our way of saying congrats for working so hard and we love you both.

:)

I must say, these passport threads are always amusing. Why is it that some people seem to take it as a personal insult when other people choose to not get passports? Adults can choose to travel in their own way, as long as they are in compliance with the requirements of their government and the governments of the countries they will be visiting; and I think it's quite rude of some people to call them "stupid" etc. for so choosing.

The flip side is that these same adults who choose to travel without passports should be cognizant of the risks they are taking in so doing, and be prepared to accept the consequences (financial and otherwise) if something goes wrong and they don't have the passport that they suddenly find they need. Just as I don't have much patience for people who berate others for making different choices, so too I don't have much patience for people who gamble, lose, and then complain about it.

Oh, and for the record, I have a valid passport, as does my wife, and as do my kids. We have decided -- as each adult needs to do for him or her self -- that we're better off spending the money for them and bringing them with us, even on a closed-loop cruise.

The passport card is a child of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, which strengthened US border controls as a result of new post 9/11 laws requiring all travellers to provde proof of identity and citizenship and the US border.

In response to concerns voiced by both Canadian and US border communities, the passport card was created as a lower cost alternative to complying with WHTI when crossing the border by land. The Canadian Government suggested the passport card also be accepted for air travel, but the Department of State declined.

There was also lobbying from the cruise industry to create the closed-loop exception allowing travel with just a birth certificate and photo ID.

This creates a patchwork of regulations but reflects the concerns raised by US citizens and border countries (chiefly Canada). It also reflects the geographic reality of a single, continent-sized country (USA) with its largest trading partner to the north (Canada). The US is so vast, with so many travel options within its borders, it can thus be argued that US citizens do not have the same need to travel internationally as citizens of other countries.

Hence the never-ending question on Cruise Critic, "Do I need a passport?" :)

Now I'm totally depressed... You left Canucks off your list of Boers!!

Eh, Canadians are used to it. ;)

A famous Canadian Prime Minister once said, "Living next to you (the USA) is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast ... one is affected by every twitch and grunt."

Parantheses added.

It's so typical of the arrogant attitude displayed by so many Brits, Kiwis and Ozzies on this board who think their way of doing things is the only way.

Thank goodness us Americans never try to impose our beliefs/ways of doing things on others. :rolleyes:

Archived