Looking for a list of handy things to bring to make my cruise easier...

uscgwife

Outstanding list!!! Includes most things in this thread and some links to cool items. Well done :D

To add, consider what you can take but not bring back. As long as you are under your 50 lbs per bag weight going, take a few extra old hangers you hate, old clothespins, sunscreen, toiletries, copies of deck plans etc. That makes room for souveniers, tee shirts, alcohol etc.

Since we are flying into San Juan a day early. I will wear an old polo shirt (with a few holes) and an old work denim shirt overtop that has a few spots. Who cares what you look like on the plane! Layer for possible cool flight and just toss them before you pack to return. If you take a travel scale and are still under your baggage weight returning, just keep them for working around the house.

If you are planning on purchasing tee shirts in pots of call, then don't take so many with you. Bottom line, have a good idea of what you can leave behind or not have to overpack in the first place. Remember when flying, every ounce counts!

~Bob~

You can buy travel size Downy Wrinkle Release in the travel section at Wal-Mart for about $1.50.

Bathroom Spray....I use a small bottle of after-shower refreshing spray as a odor spray...it works great! You can find them also at Wal-mart.

A hint for the ship....When you get to your cabin, immediately take a picture of your cabin number. Then if you lose your camera, there will be some evidence of where to find you. It happened to me; left my camera near the pool...the pool attendant scrolled through 200 pics to see if I had a cabin # picture and showed up at our door with my camera!

...A hint for the ship....When you get to your cabin, immediately take a picture of your cabin number. Then if you lose your camera, there will be some evidence of where to find you. It happened to me; left my camera near the pool...the pool attendant scrolled through 200 pics to see if I had a cabin # picture and showed up at our door with my camera!

Great idea.

We've taken a corkscrew many times, but it's always in checked luggage.

And if you have a few old corks (some folks do save them), take a few various sizes along just in case. Good if you destroy the cork removing it or a smaller cork sometimes fit easier in a larger bottle.

~Bob~

Next time we are taking some hooks that can be removed from the wall and I have 2 large "S" hooks I use to hang wet swimsuits in the shower (for those who don't have a balconey)

Our #1 favorite travel items is a pill holder I got from Magellen travel. After losing most a day searching for medicine in St. Martin for our friends who got sick... I now carry a small supply of meds.

This is the size of a lady's wallet and you can store tons of meds in it. Something for colds, cipro, advil etc. plus it has a zipper in the the back to put any medical information you might need in case of a emergency.

I have tried to find the pill holder at Magellen and at Amazon and I guess I am not calling it the correct name. This is such a good idea. Please advise as to the full name. Thanks so much.

I have tried to find the pill holder at Magellen and at Amazon and I guess I am not calling it the correct name. This is such a good idea. Please advise as to the full name. Thanks so much.

I went to the Magellan site and clicked on packing aides. I was the first item shown. Seems it 's on sale, 9.49.

I just Googled homemade wrinkle release. Looks like you can just use diluted liquid fabric softener. Even the cheapest fabric softener (dollar store) can be used.

I'm going to experiment with this, although I've never had much of a wrinkling problem after unpacking. I roll.

This has never crossed my mind

Now i cant stop thinking about it

;)

I really need to mention to my husband that I clean the toilet rims with a toothbrush just so he doesn't pick up the wrong one. Also, might be a good idea to pack liners for the ice bucket or bring your own because I have heard of people vomiting in them

:eek:

I just Googled homemade wrinkle release. Looks like you can just use diluted liquid fabric softener. Even the cheapest fabric softener (dollar store) can be used.

I'm going to experiment with this, although I've never had much of a wrinkling problem after unpacking. I roll.

Beware of fabric softeners tendency to spot polyester & rayon fabrics:eek::mad:

I really need to mention to my husband that I clean the toilet rims with a toothbrush just so he doesn't pick up the wrong one. Also, might be a good idea to pack liners for the ice bucket or bring your own because I have heard of people vomiting in them

Yikes!!!:eek:

see now you have me freaking out as i have never thought of that before...

A 220 converter if you are spending time in Europe first and they work on the ship and it gives an extra outlet.

Ziplock bags, handwipes, alarm clock, Dramamine. I like the power strip with a bit of a cord just to make it eaiser to get to.

I recently brought a battery operated candle- great in the bathroom at night and also to use in the room or on the balcony while enjoying a cocktail!

We do this as well..

Why does everyone need so many outlets??

Am i missing something??

Hair dryer....cell phone....thats all i got....?????? Thanks

I always make my own wrinkle releaser. I put one fabric sheet in an empty spray bottle and fill with water. Works just as good as the $5.00 bottle of Downey.

I always make my own wrinkle releaser. I put one fabric sheet in an empty spray bottle and fill with water. Works just as good as the $5.00 bottle of Downey.

This sounds like a great idea! Will definitely try this.

Why extra outlets needed? 2 Curling irons, blow dryer, Kindle, iPad, video camera, digital camera. Around 7 when I'm getting ready for dinner 5 of these 7 items could use being plugged in.

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. Great ideas. Some scary, too. (i.e. ice/vomit buckets :eek:)

Here is a list of what I have come up with... from this thread and another thread:

On the go

· Eye glass repair kit

· Walkie talkies/chargers

· Rain ponchos

· Thermal mug

· Waterproof tote bag

· Cheap plastic watch

· Small compass

· Underwater camera

· Sunglasses

· Camera

· Disposable coffee cups/lids

· Empty mint tin-use as ashtray

· Lanyard for stateroom key

· Ziploc baggies

· Sunscreen/aloe

· Bug spray

· Baby powder to remove sand from body

· Super glue

· Paper funnels for filling water bottles

· Crystal light singals

· Water bottle

· Hat/visor

· Camel back water backpack

· Flushable wipes

· Mini sewing kit

· Mini hand sanitizer

· Blister packs/mole skin

Bathroom/Meds

· First aid kit

· Ginger pills/sea sickness meds

· OTC meds, aleve, Imodium, tums. Etc.

· Q tips/cotton balls

· Soap/body wash

· Shamp/conditioner

· Eye drops

· Face lotion

· Nail file/clippers

· Ear plugs

· Toothpaste/brush

· Face wipes

· Makeup remover

Handy in Stateroom

· Hanging shoe rack

· Post it notes

· Bungee cords

· Zip ties

· Duct tape

· Space bags

· Pop up hamper/laundry bag

· Trash bags for dirty items

· Mini clothes line/clothes pins

· Air freshener

· Lint roller

· Highlighter for cruise compass

· Lysol wipes

· Scissors

· Door stop for adjoining rooms or to keep kids from opening doors

· Mini ionic breeze-for people with allergies

· Small speakers/ipod dock

· Mini fan

· Deck of cards

· Safety pins

· Indoor/outdoor thermometer

· Removable hooks

· Magnets to hang items to inside/outside of door

· Mini power strip

· Travel clock

· Night light

· Small flashlight

· Your own pillowcase

· Collapsible cooler

· Notebook/pen

· Mini power strip

· Wire hangers/pant hangers

· Mini febreeze

If you have kids

· Disposable diaper bags (for poopies)

· Disposable table toppers

· Disposable bibs

· take-n-toss cups/bowls

· Tupperware for saving snacks

· Infant/child OTC meds

· Gallon bags for extra change of clothes/accidents

· Umbrella stroller (much easier than full size or jogger stroller)

· Magnets/decoration for cabin door- helps kids know which room is theirs

· travel tissues/boogie wipes

· favorite blanket/toy

· emergency bands (look below for link)

· water shoes – sand can be hot

A little extra for the crew

· candies wrapped in signals or $2 bills

· candies/cookies things that cannot normally get

· international calling cards

· gold $1 coins/half dollars for tips

· holiday goodies if cruising over a holiday

· thank you notes/post cards from your hometown

· anything you can think of that will make them a little happier

· collapsible clothing cubbies (link below)

· glow sticks/necklaces (buy at $ store)

·

Extras

· preprinted address labels for mailing cards/post cards

· address book/stamps

· Clorox wipes to go

· Stain pen/stain wipes

· Wet wipes

· Downy wrinkle release

· Reading material

· Journal to keep vacation notes

· Hand warmers for cold cruises

· Windsock for balcony

· Tote for shopping

· Chewing guns

· Heavy duty clips for towels/hanging items on balcony chairs

· Binoculars

· Bring your own floaties/throw away before leaving the ship. Saves on rental fees

· Small blanket for balcony/extra warmth

· Mini accordion/

· coupon filer for important papers

· folding suitcase in case you bring back too much

· sham wow to dry clothes/swimsuits

· lens clothes

DON’T FORGET CHARGERS FOR ALL ITEMS THAT REQUIRE THEM!!!

Great list, just missing the kitchen sink. Sadly I bring quiet few of these myself (its part of that just in case list that seems to grow every cruise) most of uslike our comforts from home and convenience.

But now I also know why we have so many threads on what to wear and no room for clothes for formal night.

:-)

Someone has already mentioned this, but tea lights are great for the bathroom at night. We also put one on the desk, partially block it with a book, and it gives enough light to move around the room in the dark.

We also bring a box of tissues as the supplied stuff is pretty harsh!

DH brings a clamp from his workshop to hold the curtain together at night.

We bring suction-type hooks and hang jackets, robes, etc on the walls. Frees up closet space.

On another note-I can make a pretty decent mocha coffee from using a pack of hot cocoa mix in a cup, and adding hot coffee which I get from the promenade cafe

Someone has already mentioned this, but tea lights are great for the bathroom at night. We also put one on the desk, partially block it with a book, and it gives enough light to move around the room

Hope you mean a battery operated tea light ;)

Archived