Looking for a list of handy things to bring to make my cruise easier...

uscgwife

Thanks, Bob. How ridiculous to take my two bottles of wine and not be able to open them myself. :eek:

Well, if you forget the corkscrew, the stateroom attendant can get one for you. They can also bring wine glasses, but we usually just ask for some glasses at a bar.

These are great ideas and not just for the OCD contingent. I always procrastinate and underplan so having list(s) like these are super helpful. (and especially on the day before leaving for the cruise!) :eek:

Does anyone have any interesting spreadsheet or template files they use to aid in planning? Would love to see them. Thanks!

I am super organized as well, I wrote down so many great ideas before our first cruise. A couple that immediately come to mind;

Clothes pins - if you have a balcony you can clothes pin bsuits/toels etc to your chair and they won't blow away.

Reusable Water Bottle - I bought at the $store and are BPA free. Great for taking ship water on excursions and because they are from $store not a big deal if i have bought too much and have to leave behind:). Also have used for OJ which is free at breakfast, I have filled and taken back to the room for later.

Travel Clock - Cell phones change based on time zone not they don't stay on ships time.

Extra Coat Hangers- I always over pack :o

Travel Size Toiltetries- I save the shampoo etc from hotels and they use when travelling, saves packing big bottles etc.

Just a few off the top of my head. I am sure there will be lots more:)

:)

If you happen to have this magical list still around I would love to take a peek at it. I love making lists and more list.

I just popped over to Amazon and scored this baby for $14.09 no tax and free shipping with prime. Thanks a ton. This will be so much easier than having to bring a large power strip with giant cord.

I appreciate everyones ideas and hope that even more are posted.

I am interested in learning more about the magnet over sensor to keep the air running... will I be able to find this sensor?

Thanks again!:)

:)

I am interested in learning more about the magnet over sensor to keep the air running... will I be able to find this sensor?

Thanks again!:)

You may want to disregard my post on this. I could not recall where I heard the idea so I Googled it up and, while I got it to work, it appears folks do not take kindly to those that figure it out.

Have taken our Belkin on 6 cruises now and love it.

I also forgot to mention that the AC part of the plug rotates, so you can move it around if needed. Some of the outlets on the ship are right next to the phone, so it's been helpful to be able to rotate the plug 180 degrees.

Lots of great ideas here, many are on my regular "don't forget" list... a few others that I can think of: small $$ bills (for tips), Lysol/Clorox wet wipes, swim goggles for the kids. On my recent cruise I decided to leave the aloe at home -- of course, three of us ended up getting sunburned in Jamaica and I had to spend $14 for a bottle of aloe from the gift shop... so aloe goes back on my list! Also, instead of lanyards, we use small clip-on retractable badge holders for our Sea Pass cards; I went to Guest Services and had them punch 3 holes side-by-side, and that was enough for the plastic tab to fit through -- I just clipped it on the waistband of whatever I was wearing, it never seemed in the way, it was easy enough to remove when needed, and it didn't look dorky ;)

Oh, and be sure to bring a light sweater or wrap -- it can get chilly on deck or even in the venues (dining room, theater) with A/C -- and if you have longish hair a ponytail holder or hair clip are great to have on hand as it gets very windy on deck.

We bring itty bitty little magnets (but any will work). We stick any important tickets or info (ice show tickets, C&A Reception announcement, etc) on the wall right inside the door so that we can see it as we come and go. Makes for easier checking and less likely to miss anything.

My husband teases me that I am anal, but next time I am taking slips of paper that say the names of the week. If it is monday the sheet on that wall will say Monday. I found myself constantly trying to figure out what day of the week it really was when we were checking the tickets and invites. And I was too lazy to walk out and check the elevator or go looking for the Compass.

One of the surprises out of all the neat items we brought on our last cruise was a battery operated "tap on" light. My wife left one on the nightstand and it was great to use as a flashlight for any middle of the night trips to the bathroom etc. It's easy to recognize by feel, turn on and it brightens up your entire path as you carry it around instead of just a narrow flashlight beam.

We also brought cheap magnetic clips (dollar store) to hang up the Compass or any other notes or handouts that are important. Otherwise it always seems like there is a mess of papers lying around and you can't find the one you want.

Clothespins, or even better, heavier duty clips like you use on potato chip bags, for hanging stuff to dry on the balcony chairs.

For emergency stuff, in addition to a flashlight, I bring one of those LED headlamps. You can wear it on your forehead or hang it around your neck to guide you and keep your hands free to fend off pirates.

I wouldn't buy one of these just for this purpose, but I do have a light microfiber windbreaker in high visibility yellow that I wear biking. I brought it because; it's a great little jacket, weighs nothing, takes up no room and if there was an emergency I figured that I would put it on so that it would be harder for my wife and I to get separated. She would just have to look for the giant yellow highway cone walking around. We had a cold windy sea day on our last cruise and I wore that jacket. OK maybe it wasn't exactly stylish, and I got a couple stares, but I was comfortable.

I second the extra SD cards. You might not fill one up, but if you were to lose your camera you would lose the whole week's photos. I swap line out every day or two just in case.

I also bring a small notebook. We will write in things we want to do before we leave, then use the notebook t take notes of important activities, details, names, etc.

A well stocked med/first aid kit is also great--no one wants to visit the ship doctor for a minor ailment.

Hand sanitizer/hand wipes for when a sink isn't available.

Comfortable walking shoes.

Bug spray.

If you are trying to conserve on space, I found a travel alarm clock from Brookstone that has a flashlight on the bottom. You can set how you want the light to work. Great for those trips to the bathroom in the dark. It can also light up the bathroom enough to not turn on the big light in the middle of the night.

I agree about bringing your own sunblock as it is very costly onboard and there is not much varieties.

Ditto about extra hangers as there are never enough in the closet.

Mary anne

Go to Bed Bath and Beyond and get a suction cup toothebrush holder for the mirror in the bathroom. Also drawer sachets to put in your luggage so that everything keeps smelling fresh.

I always hide the toothbrush. Just never know.

Guest maddycat
I always hide the toothbrush. Just never know.

I ask the cabin attendant for extra drinking glasses. Put them in the cabinet in the bathroom with toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc. standing up in the glasses. Everything is out of sight and still handy.

Archived