Looking for a list of handy things to bring to make my cruise easier...

uscgwife

Thanks for the reminder on the LLBean bags... I had been meaning to buy one but was having a hard time guessing the size I would need. Ended up checking out the site and low and behold SALE... got the medium sized fake Burberry plaid one for $18.99 with no duty/taxes to Canada :) Hopefully it'll be big enough for our 16 day Hawaiian adventure lol

Love, Love, Love these...bought one for every family member as xmas gifts years ago when half price...have a medium for each my husband and myself....and a large that goes in the bathroom...keeps counters clean for room service to do their thing...just hang up and you're unpacked!

Any doctor who will dole out a prescription for a "just in case" Z-pack (or any other antibiotic) to a lay person without extenuating circumstances deserves to be stripped of his/her medical license.

Any person who takes "self-prescribed" antibiotics needs to come spend a 12-hour shift constantly putting on and taking off personal protective gear while caring for a patient with a history of MRSA or VRE.

Injudicious use of antibiotics is a HUGE problem in the healthcare industry today. Please don't contribute to it or advise others to do so.

The best advice I've ever read on CC!!!

Since we like to go to the beaches, I just have my DH carry my cards in his waterproof wallet. Then we can go into the water and don't have to worry about theft. We will just bring our towels and sunscreen in a bag.

Ok, my Belkin USB surge thing just arrived in the mail today http://www.ebay.com/itm/Belkin-BZ103050-TVL-5-Outlet-Mini-Surge-Protector-w-USB-Charger-/200790230433?pt=US_Surge_Protectors_Power_Strips&hash=item2ec007c5a1 Ebay $14.99 shipping included. A little bigger than expected but nice & solid! Included is also a common USB cable that might actually fit my digital camera. Bonus!

If you are looking for a night light, this is the cheapest one that I could find coming from within the US (not taking a month coming from China) http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pack-of-Sports-Night-Lights-Baseball-Football-Basketball-Soccer-Light-Lamp-/370546149507?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5646458883 This is a four-pack for $3.99 shipping and bulbs included! There are singles on sale for slightly less.

~Bob~

The cable that came with my Belkin was a Mini instead of a Micro... make sure you test it out before leaving home to make sure it fits! (If you do need a new cable or you want a different length, check out the awesome prices at Monoprice.com! Just double-check if you need Micro or Mini and order accordingly.)

As for nightlights, I just picked up a 3-pack of battery operated tealight/votive candles at the dollar store (Dollar Tree) here in town (like these, only mine was a 3-pack). Super cheap, and something I would actually have a use for after the cruise is over (even though I'll probably leave them with my cabin steward, if he/she wants them).

The cable that came with my Belkin was a Mini instead of a Micro... make sure you test it out before leaving home to make sure it fits! (If you do need a new cable or you want a different length, check out the awesome prices at Monoprice.com! Just double-check if you need Micro or Mini and order accordingly.)

As for nightlights, I just picked up a 3-pack of battery operated tealight/votive candles at the dollar store (Dollar Tree) here in town (like these, only mine was a 3-pack). Super cheap, and something I would actually have a use for after the cruise is over (even though I'll probably leave them with my cabin steward, if he/she wants them).

Thanks for the tip! I have not done my shopping at the dollar store yet but will have to be this week! I will look for the tealights as well as other goodies. I have a battery operated, full-size candle but as you know every square inch and ounce counts!

~Bob~

Get the tea light battery operated candle ... Small, inexpensive, works great as a night light.

Nicci

If you get a floating tea light you can stick it in a drinking glass with water. Good for the balcony.

A hint for the ship....When you get to your cabin, immediately take a picture of your cabin number. Then if you lose your camera, there will be some evidence of where to find you. It happened to me; left my camera near the pool...the pool attendant scrolled through 200 pics to see if I had a cabin # picture and showed up at our door with my camera!

Another tip similar to this, take a picture of your business card (or address of some sort). If you lose your camera and someone goes through the pictures after the cruise, you might get you camera back at home.

I already have my Belkin surge/USB thingy - took it on my December cruise and was helpful in having the USB ports to charge. I just need to remind myself that I don't also need the USB wall chargers.

I take a small glowing nightlight to put in the stateroom. I have two different kinds that are similar but one is significantly brighter than the other - I take the dimmer of the two. I do this because on my first cruise on Monarch, the outlets face the bed and the glow is then pointed straight at your face when you are trying to sleep. I was fine but the GF said it was too bright. The dimmer one still gives off just enough light not to trip over anything in the middle of the night.

Also, for those who are looking to take flashlights or something as a 'just in case' scenario, I pack an Eton microlink FR160 crank/solar radio/flashlight. In a pinch, they can also charge a device via a USB cable. I got it for a car emergency kit but it's small enough to travel with. Don't have to worry about batteries and maybe you can get some tunes up on the top deck if you are not too far out at sea. (don't worry, the crank folds into the back of the unit)

Rechargeable-Flashlight-Radio-Crank.jpg

There's an even better one that has an alarm, flashlight, music player, deck plans, and games. It's an iphone!

A bit pricier perhaps but worth it IMHO.

My new alarm clock app even turns on flashlight if you shake the phone, very handy in the middle of the night and easier than finding a small switch after too much alcohol. The clock app looks just like a real clock, I put the phone in a stand and you'd swear it was a digital clock.

For you luddites the flashlight on the phone is just the camera flash turned on, but it's really very bright.

Best part is now when I go out of town my wife isn't awakened by my alarm that I forgot to turn off! Boy that used to get me in hot water.

So my item (sorry if it's been mentioned already) is a charger that plugs in and gives you 4 USB ports for charging phones, ipads, earphones, kindles, etc.

Could you be specific on which Iphone app it is that has the alarm and turns on the flashlight when you shake it?

Thanks for the tip! I have not done my shopping at the dollar store yet but will have to be this week! I will look for the tealights as well as other goodies. I have a battery operated, full-size candle but as you know every square inch and ounce counts!

~Bob~

All kinds of fun things at the dollar store, and it's nice that I am not out a bunch of money if I decide to "donate" it to a crew member at the end of the week or just dump it in the trash.

I got stuff to decorate the doors (between the four of us, we're celebrating three college graduations and two birthdays plus Easter), air fresheners, night-lights, an extension cord, stuff to make Easter baskets, bottles of bubbles to blow on deck for sailaway, a deck of playing cards, reading glasses and sunglasses, tote bags for port days, those little glasses lanyards so you can hang your sunglasses (or reading glasses) around your neck when not in use, water bottles for taking into port, big clothespins for affixing towel to lounger and hanging up clothes to dry, battery-operated fan, etc.

Some of the stuff is just "frivolous extra crap for the fun of it" (like the bubbles and door decorations) and some of is useful/necessary stuff (bathroom freshener, nightlights). But regardless, if anything gets lost/stolen/broken/left behind, I'm only out a buck (or less) per item.

I'm a minimalist when it comes to packing clothing for a cruise (swimsuit, cover-up, and dinner clothes pretty much covers it for me!), so I don't mind packing and lugging around the "little extras" that will make extra memories for my three girlfriends who are joining me on this trip. They're all first-time cruisers, and all four of us are moms deserving some "girls week out fun time", so every little bit is worth the effort to me.

After the recent Carnival disater -- I think a flashlight is a must -- and I plan on packing two - one for each of us.

I have always packed these emergency light things that I get from Walmart..its a regular sized glow stick (in your purchased color of choice) and flashlight/whistle all in one...click the button once, the flashlight comes on , twice the glowlight the third time the glowlight flashes..it also comes with a long lanyard PERFECT for this reason just "in case" hang it around your neck leaves your hands free for other things or holding a railing

they're in the camping section...I just bought 2 new ones HOT pink & purple..I also have blue green & red :)

Any person who takes "self-prescribed" antibiotics needs to come spend a 12-hour shift constantly putting on and taking off personal protective gear while caring for a patient with a history of MRSA or VRE.

Injudicious use of antibiotics is a HUGE problem in the healthcare industry today. Please don't contribute to it or advise others to do so.

Thank you!

This i a great thread...

Question for all you experts..... for the older type showers with a curtain, what do you use to keep the shower curtain inside the shower to avoid all the water from going on the bathroom floor?

We went to the $Tree and got some of the plastic laundry clips. Just hang one or two as needed at the bottom of the curtain and you're all set.

I really need to mention to my husband that I clean the toilet rims with a toothbrush just so he doesn't pick up the wrong one. Also, might be a good idea to pack liners for the ice bucket or bring your own because I have heard of people vomiting in them

Okay, now that's disgusting. Would never have thought of that. Guess I'll add extra plastic bags now to my list just for this.

Other items we add to our must packs.

- Emergency dental kit (real small, great if you lose a filling)

- Bungee cords to string our bathing suits through on the balcony. The suits dry out in record time. Before anyone complains, we only do this when we are at sea and we are in the room.

And as far as emergency meds (and our regular meds) we use the pill cases you get at Walmart for $1. They are just little clear plastic ziploc types that you can write on. Makes it real easy when you want to take anything with you (meds to be taken with meals, etc..). They take no real space up and you don't have to worry about a pill container opening and spilling all over.

Erika

(ps. loving this thread)

What a great idea - I'll need to get one of these.

Look for them on ebay for about $15. Note: Do not be in a hurry because apparently they are popular and some are back ordered. Give yourself at least a few weeks.

I do not know how good these will actually be, but I figured the idea was great. Nice size water bottle with a built-in filter. http://www.kohls.com/p/bobble-34-oz-water-bottle.shtml Note: The website states NLA, but I just picked up a few Saturday and were about $15 each. They had a bunch.

~Bob~

Thanks for all the great ideas..one thing that was not mentioned was a small sewing kit. The zipper on one of my suitcase pockets came apart, so I just grabbed the kit and sewed it together. Good enough to get me home. :)

It is also handy when flip flops or sandals break :)

Could you be specific on which Iphone app it is that has the alarm and turns on the flashlight when you shake it?

I have an app called Flashlight. you can change the brightness level on it and make it flash if you want it too. Not quite the same as the shaking app but a good one to try out.

I have another app called Alarm Clock HD. I use this for music to play while I fall asleep. You just set the sleep timer and link it to your playlists.

Another one that could be fun to use (I just downloaded it today) is The Night Sky app (.99 cents). You hold your phone up to the sky and it tells you what stars/constellations/planets/moons you are looking at.

Archived