Looking for a list of handy things to bring to make my cruise easier...

uscgwife

Here is a list of what I have come up with... from this thread and another thread:

On the go

· Eye glass repair kit

· Walkie talkies/chargers

· Rain ponchos

· Thermal mug

· Waterproof tote bag

· Cheap plastic watch

· Small compass

· Underwater camera

· Sunglasses

· Camera

· Disposable coffee cups/lids

· Empty mint tin-use as ashtray

· Lanyard for stateroom key

· Ziploc baggies

· Sunscreen/aloe

· Bug spray

· Baby powder to remove sand from body

· Super glue

· Paper funnels for filling water bottles

· Crystal light singals

· Water bottle

· Hat/visor

· Camel back water backpack

· Flushable wipes

· Mini sewing kit

· Mini hand sanitizer

· Blister packs/mole skin

Bathroom/Meds

· First aid kit

· Ginger pills/sea sickness meds

· OTC meds, aleve, Imodium, tums. Etc.

· Q tips/cotton balls

· Soap/body wash

· Shamp/conditioner

· Eye drops

· Face lotion

· Nail file/clippers

· Ear plugs

· Toothpaste/brush

· Face wipes

· Makeup remover

Handy in Stateroom

· Hanging shoe rack

· Post it notes

· Bungee cords

· Zip ties

· Duct tape

· Space bags

· Pop up hamper/laundry bag

· Trash bags for dirty items

· Mini clothes line/clothes pins

· Air freshener

· Lint roller

· Highlighter for cruise compass

· Lysol wipes

· Scissors

· Door stop for adjoining rooms or to keep kids from opening doors

· Mini ionic breeze-for people with allergies

· Small speakers/ipod dock

· Mini fan

· Deck of cards

· Safety pins

· Indoor/outdoor thermometer

· Removable hooks

· Magnets to hang items to inside/outside of door

· Mini power strip

· Travel clock

· Night light

· Small flashlight

· Your own pillowcase

· Collapsible cooler

· Notebook/pen

· Mini power strip

· Wire hangers/pant hangers

· Mini febreeze

If you have kids

· Disposable diaper bags (for poopies)

· Disposable table toppers

· Disposable bibs

· take-n-toss cups/bowls

· Tupperware for saving snacks

· Infant/child OTC meds

· Gallon bags for extra change of clothes/accidents

· Umbrella stroller (much easier than full size or jogger stroller)

· Magnets/decoration for cabin door- helps kids know which room is theirs

· travel tissues/boogie wipes

· favorite blanket/toy

· emergency bands (look below for link)

· water shoes – sand can be hot

A little extra for the crew

· candies wrapped in signals or $2 bills

· candies/cookies things that cannot normally get

· international calling cards

· gold $1 coins/half dollars for tips

· holiday goodies if cruising over a holiday

· thank you notes/post cards from your hometown

· anything you can think of that will make them a little happier

· collapsible clothing cubbies (link below)

· glow sticks/necklaces (buy at $ store)

·

Extras

· preprinted address labels for mailing cards/post cards

· address book/stamps

· Clorox wipes to go

· Stain pen/stain wipes

· Wet wipes

· Downy wrinkle release

· Reading material

· Journal to keep vacation notes

· Hand warmers for cold cruises

· Windsock for balcony

· Tote for shopping

· Chewing guns

· Heavy duty clips for towels/hanging items on balcony chairs

· Binoculars

· Bring your own floaties/throw away before leaving the ship. Saves on rental fees

· Small blanket for balcony/extra warmth

· Mini accordion/

· coupon filer for important papers

· folding suitcase in case you bring back too much

· sham wow to dry clothes/swimsuits

· lens clothes

DON’T FORGET CHARGERS FOR ALL ITEMS THAT REQUIRE THEM!!!

OMGosh!!! And with all due respect to your packing habits, but if I took everything that was on your list (and many of these items are on MY list,) I wouldn't have room for our clothes!:eek:;)

Off the top of my head, we need the outlets for our alarm clock, DD's DVD player, hair dryer, recharging kindle/iPods, and it all seems to be at the same time.

I found with an electric alarm clock that something, maybe occasional "power surges"??? would screw the time up so it wasn't dependable.

I bring a battery operated one.

Tucker in Texas

I found with an electric alarm clock that something, maybe occasional "power surges"??? would screw the time up so it wasn't dependable.

I bring a battery operated one.

Tucker in Texas

Has to do with the frequency of the power supply...typical plug-in alarm clocks will not function correctly.....battery powered or phone avoids that issue

David :o

One thing that I purchased and LOVE for all of my trips is this personal organizer toiletry bag from LL Bean. They seem pricey at first, but mine has held up forever! One thing I love about it is the way it hangs up, but is nicely compact. It also has a little removable caddy that can be hung up in the shower.

I personally have a the large one (not family size large). I took a 9 day trip to Alaska and had no problems fitting all of my full sized toiletries in it. I am pretty girly in ways and take a lot of bathroom items on vacation!

Another thing I love is that you can stick it in the washing machine! The mirror is removable and you just toss it in! :) I've had mine for many years so it has been washed a few times.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/73882?feat=203-GN1&page=personal-organizer-toiletry-bag-medium

245361_0_44?rgn=0,0,1950,2250&scl=4.55607476635514&id=2MpHz_nSeJWYgGTMVwcAPr

what is a small white noise machine and where can i get one?

There is a white noise app for the iPhone and other devices. Its great for travel of any kind. The free version is fine, the pay version has a lots of varied sounds. I find brown noise cancels noise the best (doors closing, talking in the hallway, etc).

Has to do with the frequency of the power supply...typical plug-in alarm clocks will not function correctly.....battery powered or phone avoids that issue

David :o

Oddly enough our cheapie $5 plug in alarm clock has never given us any issues in the dozen or so cruises we've taken it on.

I back up the fact that the LL Bean toiletry bags are the best thing ever invented. They fold down to a small space when packed and once you put it on the door you never take it down and you never ever have to hunt for anything, it's right there. We have one for me and one for my husband. It's great for the organized person.

Sharon I

Yesterday I was so excited to order the Mini Surge Protector with USB Charger on Amazon for my next cruise (over a year away:rolleyes:) and now I absolutely must have this pill holder. Please give me a heads up as to where I might find one like it, if you know. Thanks for the great ideas. Even after almost 10 years of cruising, its great to still read about all these neat ideas! :)

Not reading through all the posts, but you can get the Pill holder from Magelleans or:

http://www.tamperseal.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=medicine&osCsid=b9484588dabc6634b9dd258ab5a29ce2&x=12&y=13

Travelseal has lots of nifty items that other travel accessory catalogs do...but no shipping charges and usually a little less costly.

I have tried to find the pill holder at Magellen and at Amazon and I guess I am not calling it the correct name. This is such a good idea. Please advise as to the full name. Thanks so much.

Here is the link to Travelseal pill holder - same thing:

http://www.tamperseal.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=medicine&osCsid=b9484588dabc6634b9dd258ab5a29ce2&x=12&y=13

They work great. I have one that is just my on board "drug store". Pepto, Excedrin, aleve, Immodium, Seasickness, antihistimines, etc, etc. All things in the medicine cabinet that would cost a fortune on board.

Also...a "just in case" useful item is a Z pack (antibiotic) that you can get from your Doctor. It's been a super useful for us, twice. That ship's doctor can get quite expensive.

One thing that I purchased and LOVE for all of my trips is this personal organizer toiletry bag from LL Bean. They seem pricey at first, but mine has held up forever! One thing I love about it is the way it hangs up, but is nicely compact. It also has a little removable caddy that can be hung up in the shower.

I personally have a the large one (not family size large). I took a 9 day trip to Alaska and had no problems fitting all of my full sized toiletries in it. I am pretty girly in ways and take a lot of bathroom items on vacation!

Another thing I love is that you can stick it in the washing machine! The mirror is removable and you just toss it in! :) I've had mine for many years so it has been washed a few times.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/73882?feat=203-GN1&page=personal-organizer-toiletry-bag-medium

245361_0_44?rgn=0,0,1950,2250&scl=4.55607476635514&id=2MpHz_nSeJWYgGTMVwcAPr

Wow those do look to be the greatest thing for cruise travel! I am traveling in three weeks: 3 women/small bathroom. You better believe I am getting one of these!! Even if someone has to use it as a personal carry-on ;) My day to be the hero :cool:

~Bob~

We will be in a regular balcony stateroom. Does anyone know; is there a power plug in the bathroom? I was hoping to bring a small nightlight. If not then I already have one of those battery operated candles. Trouble is, that is bigger than a soda can. Very cool for balcony evenings too but I am concerned about packing space and conserving batteries.

Thanks!

~Bob~

We will be in a regular balcony stateroom. Does anyone know; is there a power plug in the bathroom? I was hoping to bring a small nightlight. If not then I already have one of those battery operated candles. Trouble is, that is bigger than a soda can. Very cool for balcony evenings too but I am concerned about packing space and conserving batteries.

Thanks!

~Bob~

Yes, there is an outlet in the bathroom. It's for electric shavers and it's usually mounted high.

Thanks!

~Bob~

Get the tea light battery operated candle ... Small, inexpensive, works great as a night light.

Nicci

Also...a "just in case" useful item is a Z pack (antibiotic) that you can get from your Doctor. It's been a super useful for us, twice. That ship's doctor can get quite expensive.

Any doctor who will dole out a prescription for a "just in case" Z-pack (or any other antibiotic) to a lay person without extenuating circumstances deserves to be stripped of his/her medical license.

Any person who takes "self-prescribed" antibiotics needs to come spend a 12-hour shift constantly putting on and taking off personal protective gear while caring for a patient with a history of MRSA or VRE.

Injudicious use of antibiotics is a HUGE problem in the healthcare industry today. Please don't contribute to it or advise others to do so.

When I pack I leave clothes on hangars. Unpacking takes about 5 minutes, everything is hung up quuickly as I have plenty of hangars already and the over the door thingie goes up quickly.

Charger for camera.

Case for contacts.

I do similarly, but I have dry clean bags on the hung up clothes. They prevent wrinkles, and add little to no bulk to our packing.

Nicci

We have a small hang-on-the-wall bag (using magnetic hooks) with clear holders (like small shoe bag) that we use for all our charging cords. Keeps them from being in a jumble in a drawer or on top of the desk and we can see which ones we need immediately. You could keep extra pair of glasses or sun glasses in it too.

no need for air freshener in the stateroom --- but definitely in the bathroom! it's small in there :eek: We take a small battery operated one that "sprays" every hour or so automatically. we also find that this affects the main room too.

am going to see if I can find some of the items mentioned in the thread on UK websites to save on delivery. Does the Belkin power strip take UK plugs? it looks really good.

Thanks

Thanks for the reminder on the LLBean bags... I had been meaning to buy one but was having a hard time guessing the size I would need. Ended up checking out the site and low and behold SALE... got the medium sized fake Burberry plaid one for $18.99 with no duty/taxes to Canada :) Hopefully it'll be big enough for our 16 day Hawaiian adventure lol

Any doctor who will dole out a prescription for a "just in case" Z-pack (or any other antibiotic) to a lay person without extenuating circumstances deserves to be stripped of his/her medical license.

Any person who takes "self-prescribed" antibiotics needs to come spend a 12-hour shift constantly putting on and taking off personal protective gear while caring for a patient with a history of MRSA or VRE.

Injudicious use of antibiotics is a HUGE problem in the healthcare industry today. Please don't contribute to it or advise others to do so.

Hear hear!

Archived