First Time as Elite .... Questions

lawgirl

Hello. We are sailing as Elite guests for the first time in a few weeks. We already know we probably won't like the perks compared to RCI, primarily because we are late diners and like the hours of Diamond/ Concierge evening events which go right up to late dining time.

Curious how other late diners handle the timing issue? Do you get ready early and if so, what do you do from 7:00 to 8:30 between Elite party and dinner? Or, Do you just throw on a pair of jeans and go to Elite party and then dress for dinner after? Can you even wear jeans to Elite party? What about a casual skirt and casual top? (I read capris are a no no, but not sure about how casual we can get away with prior to getting dressed up for dinner ? ) we love to dress up, but not sure I want to get all fancied up by 5:00 or 5:30.

The whole timing of the party is just throwing me off, but we like to meet other cruisers...

Also, what kind of drinks are served? Can you leave with a drink? Anything else I should know about Elite?

Excited to cruise on the Solstice class!!! Thanks!

We usually either sit in the Elite Lounge until it closes, and then go upstairs and shower, dress, etc., or we sit in the Elite Lounge until it closes, then find another bar ;) Most of the Elite Lounges have dress codes and we have seen them enforced - but I don't know if that's always the case. DH usually puts on khakis, and I usually wear a skirt or capris.

We don't go to many of the shows, but I'm pretty sure there's often an early show that takes place during main dining - and those with late dining will attend that.

Edit to add: Other great perk is the Elite breakfast. It's often a continental breakfast but it's quiet and if you want hair of the dog you can have a mimosa or bloody mary.

There is a menu of drinks available at the Elite cocktail lounge - usually simple cocktails (screwdriver, martini, cosmo) plus white and red wine, beer, and soft drinks. I am pretty sure you can't take drinks out with you ...

I usually leave a small tip each time we leave the Elite Lounge - anywhere from $2 to $5, depending on how many times we've seen the server that morning or evening. Some people leave a few dollars at the end of the cruise ... it's a matter of preference.

We are Diamond Plus with RCCL and Elite with Celebrity and comparing the perks, we much prefer Celebrity. True, the drinks are served 5 to 7, wine, beers, vodka, whiskey, brandy etc. etc. + cocktails and martinis ( and no you can't leave with a drink ) but the other perks i.e 90 mins each free Internet,a limited amount of free dry cleaning, free pressing, free wash and fold laundry, the Elite breakfast where champagne, mimosa and bloody Mary's are available along with speciality coffees. Most late diners we know come to the drinks and then dress for dinner. Long pants are required for men, no shorts for anyone. Not sure about capris, can't see that being a problem though. One thing to mention is that on our recent cruise, every single night someone was on the door carding guests and no non Elites were allowed in.

We dress for dinner after the Elite Lounge cocktail party. And the problem with capris is I think some people were wearing something other than true capris. Women were turned away who said they were wearing "capris that didn't cover their knees." IMHO capri pants are all below the knee....ie mid calf and therefore are not shorts. You don't need to dress up in advance if you don't want to. On formal nights there will be people already in their tux and gowns and others in their sundresses or khakis who are dining later.

We are Diamond Plus with RCCL and Elite with Celebrity and comparing the perks, we much prefer Celebrity. True, the drinks are served 5 to 7, wine, beers, vodka, whiskey, brandy etc. etc. + cocktails and martinis ( and no you can't leave with a drink ) but the other perks i.e 90 mins each free Internet,a limited amount of free dry cleaning, free pressing, free wash and fold laundry, the Elite breakfast where champagne, mimosa and bloody Mary's are available along with speciality coffees. Most late diners we know come to the drinks and then dress for dinner. Long pants are required for men, no shorts for anyone. Not sure about capris, can't see that being a problem though. One thing to mention is that on our recent cruise, every single night someone was on the door carding guests and no non Elites were allowed in.
Very well explained and we agree.Love the breakfast in the Tuscan grill.On the Equinox every night they checked your sea pass and someone was at the door as you leave.no drinks taken out.We usually have the same waiter and tip each night.

Hello. We are sailing as Elite guests for the first time in a few weeks. We already know we probably won't like the perks compared to RCI, primarily because we are late diners and like the hours of Diamond/ Concierge evening events which go right up to late dining time.

Curious how other late diners handle the timing issue? Do you get ready early and if so, what do you do from 7:00 to 8:30 between Elite party and dinner? Or, Do you just throw on a pair of jeans and go to Elite party and then dress for dinner after? Can you even wear jeans to Elite party? What about a casual skirt and casual top? (I read capris are a no no, but not sure about how casual we can get away with prior to getting dressed up for dinner ? ) we love to dress up, but not sure I want to get all fancied up by 5:00 or 5:30.

The whole timing of the party is just throwing me off, but we like to meet other cruisers...

Also, what kind of drinks are served? Can you leave with a drink? Anything else I should know about Elite?

Excited to cruise on the Solstice class!!! Thanks!

Hi,:)....they ask you not to take drinks out of the venue. So, no

you can't leave with your drink.

There are menus on here somewhere.....try a search. They have

about a dozen choices of drinks.....cocktails and beer/wine, along

with sodas, juices for those who do not care to partake.

As for the timing? I don't even always go anymore but no, I do

not "dress for dinner" if I am popping in for a drink and saying hello.

I will put on a pair of slacks/capris (and a top;)) I usually eat late

as well and I have no desire to shower and change for dinner so

early. Oh I have worn capris plenty of times....they do come down

to my calves....have never been told to go change out of them.

Everyone is different. If I am doing something else? I usually don't

feel the need to rush back because it is Happy hour...but that is just

me.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise:)

Because of the timing we don't usually make it to the Elite happy hour more than a couple of times. I usually wear cotton dresses over my swimwear, and just show up in that, and my husband throws on jeans and a polo shirt. We go between 6:30 and 7, and at 7 we get ready for dinner. If there is a show we want to see before dinner, we skip happy hour and spend the time getting ready for the evening. If we are tired, we skip happy hour and nap in the cabin. Occasionally, we will shower and get ready at 5 PM and get to the lounge dressed for the evening but that is very rare.

We experienced our first Diamond Lounge after enjoying Celebrity's Elite events and we prefer Celebrity's. I frankly can't remember the hours of the Diamond Lounge and I didn't realize that they extended later than 7:00 so obviously the Elite hours were fine for us.

Where Celebrity wins hands down is at Elite breakfast. In the Diamond Lounge there was a machine that had a "cappucinno" button - the drink delivered was dreadful! On Celebrity, you receive a real cappucinno made by someone who knows what they're doing. There was a wider variety of food as well.

We just experienced our first Diamond lounge on Liberty of the Seas and the evening cocktail hour was far superior for us. The snack foods were prevalent and self-serve, and they poured Jack Daniels rather than the Jim Beam (which I do not drink) in Celebrity's Elite lounge. And I agree, I liked how late it was open, very much.

Also, the lounge is lovely and intimate (but that's perhaps b/c there weren't many who qualified?) and the big bonus was the wonderful Denzil Fernandes. What a fabulous employee he is. Charming, knowledgeable, efficient. What more could we want? The two servers were also outstanding.

Btw, we had issues about our status on two sailings. When we made Elite in Sept., 2011, our Jan., 2012 cruise didn't recognize the fact, so the Elite Hostess had to change our status in the computer. Then on Liberty just a few weeks ago, I didn't realize they wouldn't automatically know our Elite status, so they still had us as Platinum rather than Diamond. That got changed also plus they gave us the updated room key to get into the Diamond lounge. I was very impressed with how smoothly they fixed it, once we inquired.

We just experienced our first Diamond lounge on Liberty of the Seas and the evening cocktail hour was far superior for us. The snack foods were prevalent and self-serve, and they poured Jack Daniels rather than the Jim Beam (which I do not drink) in Celebrity's Elite lounge. And I agree, I liked how late it was open, very much.

Also, the lounge is lovely and intimate (but that's perhaps b/c there weren't many who qualified?) and the big bonus was the wonderful Denzil Fernandes. What a fabulous employee he is. Charming, knowledgeable, efficient. What more could we want? The two servers were also outstanding.

Btw, we had issues about our status on two sailings. When we made Elite in Sept., 2011, our Jan., 2012 cruise didn't recognize the fact, so the Elite Hostess had to change our status in the computer. Then on Liberty just a few weeks ago, I didn't realize they wouldn't automatically know our Elite status, so they still had us as Platinum rather than Diamond. That got changed also plus they gave us the updated room key to get into the Diamond lounge. I was very impressed with how smoothly they fixed it, once we inquired.

While I know some people prefer a "lovely and intimate" experience for the their loyalty cocktail hours....IMHO you can't beat the Sky Lounge on the Solstice Class Celebrity ships for the beautiful venue and spectacular views.

To OP, please note that if there are a very high number of Elites on your sailing, the evening cocktail party in a private location will be scrapped, and the voucher system will be used. Each person is given 3 vouchers to be used between 5 and 7 p.m. at most bars around the ship. We enjoyed this very much, as it enabled us to have nightly cocktails with friends who would not have qualified to attend the cocktail party. AND, we took a glass of wine into the dining room every evening. Believe me, we did not miss the snacks and canapes--more food we didn't need.....;):)

• 2 weeks later...
if one person in the cabin is elite but the other is not elite are they allowed to take their cabin mate to the elite cocktail hour?

No problem ... Non - elites traveling in the same stateroom are welcomed... as long as you accompany them.

Lawgirl-

We also eat late and are not crazy about the hours. Getting dressed for the evening before 5pm just seems odd to me. We don't always go to the cocktail time and NEVER go at 5pm. We tend to go around 6:30--just enough time for one cocktail and to order another if we desire. There is sometimes an evening show meant for late diners that begins at 7--and sometimes go to that. Other times we make our way down to the martini bar to socialize and listen to music from the band.

There is no way I want to put my makeup on after cocktail hour:eek:Many people line up to arrive at the beginning. I imagine this is when they all meet each other because we have not found that we have met many people. I'm sure it has to do with arriving late to the party.

We are looking forward to the voucher system for our upcoming cruise.

Archived