CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

Where did all the crew from the Triumph go that were transfered to other ships? How many are on the Dream now? Did they work in engineering?

I think it is an inside job?

Some little crew member that is tired of not getting his part of the tips, so he is making sure none of the crew get tips.

:rolleyes::eek::confused::D:D:D

I caught the report from HLN...they said passengers on the Dream contacted CNN to report ..

Why would passengers call the news media??...I know I dont keep CNN phone number on speed dial....if i were a passenger my last thought would be to call the media...maybe the coast guard,or carnival...

Of course CNN jumped right on it because its news to them.

Now the Dream is fairly new so my theory had been to only sail newer ships as they have the Technology to prevent the Triumph situation..but now my theory is being tested...:eek:

I havent been on a carnival cruise since 2003 (triumph), it was a great first cruise. I have no issues with carinval and would book them again...however I did discover NCL... wow...so I tend to lean in that direction.

I hope everyone gets back to the port safely and on time. Hopefully Carnival can do some serious damage control after this one.

Hey There Tiff-

Maybe the passengers call the media because no one on the ship is communicating with them. Given Triumph's fiasco- I personally would want to get off that ship - if they are not allowing the passengers to disembark on free will - it's as though they are being kidnapped or held hostage...I know perhaps an overreaction - but St Maarten is a long way from Port Canaveral....

Wouldn't want to be caught in a "how many tugs does it take to....." situation....

John Heald posted this from his Facebook page:

The Carnival Dream has a technical issue which our engineering team is currently working on. The ship is at dock in St. Maarten. At no time did the ship lose power but there were periodic interruptions to elevators and toilets for a few hours last night. However at this time all hotel systems are functioning normally and have been functional since approximately 12.30am. The ship has full power but is still at dock while personnel continue to work on the technical issue. The Carnival Dream was on a seven-day cruise and is based in Port Canaveral, Fla.

I seriously hope Carnival comes under a fair bit of scrutiny for what is beginning to become excessive incidents. One of three things seems to be happening (or a combination of such). Deferred maintenance in order to reduce costs; inadequate crew/officer training on operating these systems and responding to issues; or an inherent problem concerning the design of these Fincantieri built ships dating back to 1996. While DREAM is a fairly new ship, the basic design below the water line (and to some extent above) dates back to the 1996 CARNIVAL DESTINY. Carnival has basically used the same design for over 15 years which has saved them a ton of $$. It may actually come back to haunt them.

I also have to wonder how executives at NCL, Royal Caribbean, and others are feeling right now? These incidents tarnish the entire industry and in the end it hurts everyone. Three incidents with Carnival in a relatively short time, and of course the major one with COSTA CONCORDIA which is owned by Carnival Corp. Not a great track record.

Seriously CNN! Why would you ask the question "if you heard what happened on the Triumph, why would you go on another Carnival Cruise" to a passenger on the Dream. How stupid is that!!

Agreed!....The media just makes me sick with their sensationlizing. <smh>

The problem appears (I'm not there with my hands in the switchboard) to be with the emergency generator. That would not preclude the vessel from steaming at full speed. That is simply a function of having all of the main generators available (probably 5 or 6). The local maritime authorities in St. Maartin may be preventing the ship from sailing due to the faulty emergency generator, as this is a SOLAS violation. It may be Carnival's decision to not sail without an emergency generator. The insurance underwriter's surveyor (Lloyds, DNV, etc) may not allow the ship to sail without revoking the insurance.

My best guess (guess!) is that the ship will remain there until the problem is fixed and tested, and will then proceed to Port Canaveral at full speed. How long to fix? Unknown from this distance.

Thank you for sharing your insight on this!

And he ironically was a passenger on the triumph calling CNN to complain. Irony??? I'm suspicious.

Imagine if there were pax onboard who was also on the Triumph..:eek:..that would be awful! :p

Used their credits from the last broken down ship for this new adventure!...that would suck!

And he ironically was a passenger on the triumph calling CNN to complain. Irony??? I'm suspicious.

I didn't hear him say he was on the Triumph. Are you sure we're talking about the same guy? There was another person they spoke to earlier today who had been on the Triumph, maybe that's what you are thinking of?

Seriously CNN! Why would you ask the question "if you heard what happened on the Triumph, why would you go on another Carnival Cruise" to a passenger on the Dream. How stupid is that!!

Why is that a stupid question? Some would answer either way. And have.

Sheesh. Don't you people have anything ever break down? In the space of two weeks three people at my office have had well maintained vehicles break down. One lady's twice!! Are you going to quit driving?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Well said! And how many bazillion times did these ships sail without issues....

Would be nice if Carnival would make some sort of statement. All I keep seeing is the same news stories over and over.

I agree we are to be on the ship on Sat. I'm not good at the waiting for info game! I;m a planner! give me the info so i can plan!

Just talked to someone at Carnival. They said the passengers are going to be allowed to spend the day in St. Martin and then they will fly them home sometime tomorrow. They also have not received notification that the cruise leaving saturday is cancelled so the assumption is that the ship will make it back to PC sometime Saturday and may have a delayed departure.

Who care's what CNN say's, The say so many thing's that are not fact's about half there report's are fact less. There like weather men, Right half the time. Media is always looking to make thing's larger than they are for more hipe and rating's they way.

I am thinking that, at this point, I trust CNN more than I trust Carnival and there is nothing on CNN inconsistent with ABC or Fox stories.

Carnival Cruise Lines has posted an announcement about it on their FB page, and here is a genius comment someone made:

"Get your facts folks. They are docked, but NOT allowed off the ship!!! Also Carnival owns Royal Caribbean and 75% of all cruise ships."

I LOLed. I love how the person saying "get your facts" is totally wrong.

Try looking in the mirror! Both your "facts" are totally wrong!!

OH, Please let this not be happening! Our's is the next up cruise out of Port Canaveral on Her:eek:

Our first cruise (03/15/15) will be on the Dream out of Port Canaveral - 5 day eastern caribbean.....When I saw the news, my heart just sank. Hopefully, things will turn out for the best and she will be blemish free from this point forward:eek:

Why is that a stupid question? Some would answer either way. And have.

I don't think it's a stupid question either. Fair at best. Carnival faithful will be just that but in the last few years Carnival has had many highly publicized mechanical problems. It's not unreasonable to ask why customers are still giving the company business.

Archived