Why Is The Prinsendam more expensive?

wesail7seas

I have noticed that the prices for The Prinsendam cruises are much higher than on the other ships.I contacted Holland America and was told it is because The Prinsendam was bought from Silverseas,it is a smaller ship catering to "upscale"clientele,and offers "different" itineraries.:confused:

If anyone has travelled on Prinsendam as well as the other ships on HAL,can you tell me if the higher price is worth it,and why?

We had our first HAL cruise on The Noordam last summer and enjoyed it very much,but now are looking at a fall cruise on the Prinsendam.The itinerary is neither exotic, nor long,nor "different".

(And I'm not sure if we willingly fit into the "upscale" category....:p)

Thanks.

I have noticed that the prices for The Prinsendam cruises are much higher than on the other ships.I contacted Holland America and was told it is because The Prinsendam was bought from Silverseas,it is a smaller ship catering to "upscale"clientele,and offers "different" itineraries.:confused:

If anyone has travelled on Prinsendam as well as the other ships on HAL,can you tell me if the higher price is worth it,and why?

We had our first HAL cruise on The Noordam last summer and enjoyed it very much,but now are looking at a fall cruise on the Prinsendam.The itinerary is neither exotic, nor long,nor "different".

Thanks.

It costs more because it is a smaller ship with fewer passengers to spread the costs around. You will notice that cruises on the S and R class of HAL ships are more expensive than the Vista and Signature ships and for the same reason.

Thanks.

It's a smaller ship - so fewer passengers mean more costs.

I do find it is a 'step up' from the other ships - don't worry about the upscale statement.

We sail her for the unique itineraries. I wouldn't take her for a Caribbean cruise for example, but for her other itineraries - yes, she is very nice.

Best example are different ports, more overnights.

Cabins on this ship are unique. They are not all your typical 'cookie cutter' cabins.

The walk in closets don't hurt either;)

There is something magical about the crew and the ship. She is the Elegant Explorer and it shows - from everything from the way the officers inspect cleaning on board to the beautiful Crow's Nest.

The Prinsendam is the only ship not built by HAL. She was built by a prestigious cruise line who were known for taking good care of their passengers.

She has the highest repeat % of any of the HAL ships (and I believe HAL still has the highest % of cruise lines, but I could be wrong). and for very good reason.

We sailed her for the first time in November 2011 - quite nervous about the age of the ship, etc. We had the best cruise ever and are happily returning to her again in May:D

She's getting ready to sail away out of Fort Lauderdale right now (not very often she is there). you can catch her at porteverglades.com

Supply and demand.

Smaller ship also means she can go to more interesting ports and get closer to town, which also increases her desirability. I believe she used to be part of the Royal Viking Lines - Royal Viking Sun? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Viking_Line

Looking forward to our first trip this fall on her. We love ships this size and took several on the old "Love Boat - sister ship MVDiscovery that was also premium priced but really basic and industrial compared to what we will be getting on the Prinsendam from all reports.

Walk in closet - kazu have I died and gone to heaven?? We are doing a suite (for my sweet decade b-day celebration) so I can hardly wait.

I've sailed on Zuiderdam, Maasdam, and Nieuw Amsterdam and once on the Prinsendam. The itinerary (a trip around England, Scotland, and Ireland) on Prinsendam was unique and I really liked the smaller size and fewer people. I like Holland America in general because the ships are more classic and have wrap around promenade decks. The HA ships give me the feeling of old time cruising before today's emphasis on creating resort towns on the sea with main streets and rock climbing walls. So, the Prinsendam was like having all the things I like on HA but within a more intimate setting. I am planning on more Prinsendam cruises.

Supply and demand.

Smaller ship also means she can go to more interesting ports and get closer to town, which also increases her desirability. I believe she used to be part of the Royal Viking Lines - Royal Viking Sun? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Viking_Line

Looking forward to our first trip this fall on her. We love ships this size and took several on the old "Love Boat - sister ship MVDiscovery that was also premium priced but really basic and industrial compared to what we will be getting on the Prinsendam from all reports.

Walk in closet - kazu have I died and gone to heaven?? We are doing a suite (for my sweet decade b-day celebration) so I can hardly wait.

You have died and gone to heaven - seriously - yes, walk in closets - there is one that does not have a walk in closet - just check your deck plans and make sure you don't have it.;)

No double sink in the neptune suites - instead there is a separate sink and toilet which has doors connecting to the bathroom and the main living area - very nice.

You'll love the nearly separate sleeping are too:D

Because she was originally from a luxury line, her vibe is different than the usual mainstream ship. What I like (in addition to the walk in closet) is that the cabin doors are not directly off the main hall. 2 cabins share a mini hall off the main one, so they are a little quieter. Her itineraries are amazing. Even the lowest priced cabins are around 180 sq ft and the bathroom seems larger, too. I feel like I'm getting a near luxury experience for a bargain price. People do complain because she isn't new and glitzy, but there are enough of us who appreciate her for what she is.

The Prinsendam is one of the two ships that HAL uses for Grand Voyages. Even if one hasn't booked a Grand Voyage, one gets the benefit of a Grand Voyage quality crew.

I can confidently say it's worth the difference in price, because I just paid it and it was a substantial difference indeed.

If someone at HAL told you she came from Silversea, shame on them. I think you got the word she was originally Royal Viking Sun, and Seabourn Sun for a while before coming to HAL.

I'm not really a HAL person, my favorite line is Crystal. The Prinsendam is the only other ship I would seriously consider if I had the choice to do the same trip on Crystal. While Prinsendam has lost some of the touches of a luxury ship, most of them remain and she is a beautiful, superbly appointed ship with most of the feel of a true luxury ship. While the ship is great, it's the itineraries and the crew that make it really special. The crew is a notch or 2 above the usual great HAL crew. and with fewer passengers and longer itineraries we get to know one another better than on other HAL ships.

Prinsendam rarely does routine itineraries, it goes to places no other mainstream ship can pass. There's only so much you can do with a transatlantic itinerary, but Prinsendam can really get a choice of the less traveled ports. Sometimes the prices on Prinsendam transatlantics can also be relatively attractive.

Roy

If someone at HAL told you she came from Silversea, shame on them. I think you got the word she was originally Royal Viking Sun, and Seabourn Sun for a while before coming to HAL.

I'm not really a HAL person, my favorite line is Crystal. The Prinsendam is the only other ship I would seriously consider if I had the choice to do the same trip on Crystal. While Prinsendam has lost some of the touches of a luxury ship, most of them remain and she is a beautiful, superbly appointed ship with most of the feel of a true luxury ship. While the ship is great, it's the itineraries and the crew that make it really special. The crew is a notch or 2 above the usual great HAL crew. and with fewer passengers and longer itineraries we get to know one another better than on other HAL ships.

Prinsendam rarely does routine itineraries, it goes to places no other mainstream ship can pass. There's only so much you can do with a transatlantic itinerary, but Prinsendam can really get a choice of the less traveled ports. Sometimes the prices on Prinsendam transatlantics can also be relatively attractive.

Roy

Well said Roy, most TA's go to places like the Azores and then maybe another standard stop and disembark.

For our TA portion of our Prinsendam cruise - we go to Bermuda, (nice break for sea days), then St. Malo, Cherbourg, Le Havre, Zeebrugges and then Tilbury. That's a nice combination with the TA IMO. The second 1/2 is even nicer but for a Transatlantic - that's a nice itinerary. Even more important, on a Transatlantic, the ship becomes the destination for a good part of the cruise. Prinsendam is a nice destination for us.:D

You have died and gone to heaven - seriously - yes, walk in closets - there is one that does not have a walk in closet - just check your deck plans and make sure you don't have it.;)

No double sink in the neptune suites - instead there is a separate sink and toilet which has doors connecting to the bathroom and the main living area - very nice.

You'll love the nearly separate sleeping are too:D

Which stateroom does not have the walk in closet?

I can't tell from looking at the deck plans in the HAL brochure.

003 was shower only. I'm sure on the deck plans it was no walk in closet too but perhaps it was revised at the dry dock - as I don't see that now on the deck plans either? I remember x'ing this cabin out last year in my choices.

Most of all the cabins on this ship have walk in closets - unless my memory has really failed - in my old cruise planner there were some marked without them (had a special sign).

Now in the new cruise planner it's not there. Not sure what to make of this as I know I saw a couple of cabins without them when we were on.

On line - only cabins in AB and some of the F's and others are now listed as not having walk in closets. So, you should be fine.

very strange - didn't mean to mislead you.

I sailed the Prinsendam in October, the Holy Lands Explorer. It was the best cruise I've ever been on. The main reason THERE ARE NO CHILDREN! As there are no facilities, and it's definitely an older clientele, there is no 'Kid Soup" in the hot tub, no screaming teens down the halls, in fact only the Captain's adorable daughter (who was on school break) was aboard.

The itineraries are more interesting, since they can get into smaller ports. The cabins are beautiful wood paneled, and it felt like a luxury hotel bathroom. One of my favorite places was the outdoor deck off the Lido Restaurant, but I heard it may be enclosed now since the last drydock in November 2012.

I met the most interesting people during Open Seating Dinners, and thoroughly enjoyed the company of others on shore excursions. Some of the people had been sailing on her for more than 100 days, booking additional nights as they went along.

I will definitely sail on her again, when my vacation time finds her in an interesting itinerary. Can't wait until I retire and have that life of leisure to take on some of her longer itineraries.

I sailed the Prinsendam in October, the Holy Lands Explorer. It was the best cruise I've ever been on. The main reason THERE ARE NO CHILDREN! As there are no facilities, and it's definitely an older clientele, there is no 'Kid Soup" in the hot tub, no screaming teens down the halls, in fact only the Captain's adorable daughter (who was on school break) was aboard.

<snip>

Not true. On my Arctic Explorer there were a number of children. While Prinsendam does not have a dedicated Club HAL, one was set up in the Stuyvestant Room. The following statements are my opinions and conjecture, but I think I'm on pretty solid ground:

There are several reasons children are relatively rare on the Prinsendam:

a. Improvised Club HAL facilities

b. Longer itineraries limit the times children can be on board

c. Costs a lot more than the ships kids usually sail.

Prinsendam is never the path of least resistance for a cruise with kids. Somebody has made a conscious decision that the ship and the itinerary are what is wanted, and I'll bet most of the time the kids were involved in the decision. I'll bet kids who sail the Prinsendam are generally more mature and more serious about travel than those on other ships.

I know there were several kids on board and I routinely passed the Stuyvestant room and saw the artwork and other decorations as I passed the room on the way to the gangway. Early in the cruise I went down to the room just to see what and where it was and there were probably about 8-10 kids in there. Otherwise, I might never have realized they were on board. Kids can be a problem (especially bored kids), but these certainly were not.

When there are children on board, HAL will do their best to support them. I know Crystal ships have very limited kid's club space, and do not often get them. When there are children on board Crystal brings temporary juvenile activities directors on board to work with them, and these people are not on the ship if not needed. I would not be at all surprised if HAL does the same thing on the Prinsendam.

Roy

From what I remember, it is all the new rooms that were added way back around 2010?? It was about 30 staterooms all on the upper two decks at the very rear of the ship.

One couple on the World Cruise loves the inside of one of those staterooms as it is extra large compared to the rest of the insides which are quite small. kween Karen had one of those rooms and the beds do not make into a queen size bed.

Not true. On my Arctic Explorer there were a number of children. While Prinsendam does not have a dedicated Club HAL, one was set up in the Stuyvestant Room. The following statements are my opinions and conjecture, but I think I'm on pretty solid ground:

There are several reasons children are relatively rare on the Prinsendam:

a. Improvised Club HAL facilities

b. Longer itineraries limit the times children can be on board

c. Costs a lot more than the ships kids usually sail.

Prinsendam is never the path of least resistance for a cruise with kids. Somebody has made a conscious decision that the ship and the itinerary are what is wanted, and I'll bet most of the time the kids were involved in the decision. I'll bet kids who sail the Prinsendam are generally more mature and more serious about travel than those on other ships.

I know there were several kids on board and I routinely passed the Stuyvestant room and saw the artwork and other decorations as I passed the room on the way to the gangway. Early in the cruise I went down to the room just to see what and where it was and there were probably about 8-10 kids in there. Otherwise, I might never have realized they were on board. Kids can be a problem (especially bored kids), but these certainly were not.

When there are children on board, HAL will do their best to support them. I know Crystal ships have very limited kid's club space, and do not often get them. When there are children on board Crystal brings temporary juvenile activities directors on board to work with them, and these people are not on the ship if not needed. I would not be at all surprised if HAL does the same thing on the Prinsendam.

Roy

Roy, you are absolutely correct. On our last cruise, the CD advised that there were staff allocated for children if on board. While there is no formal Club HAL program, the crew does improvise when they have children on board;)

Archived