New to Oceania. .lots of questions

mamaofami

I think it's a (small but significant) cashgrab myself, especially since it's so highly-advised to fly in a day before the cruise. All cruiselines should allow this one small deviation without a fee, in my opinion. Won't happen, I know.

You obviously know Lisbon, so you should be fine. We'll be there next week, I notice that the metro system now goes to the airport. Not great with cruise luggage, of course. We'll be travelling with roll-aboards only this time.

I think it's a (small but significant) cashgrab myself, especially since it's so highly-advised to fly in a day before the cruise. All cruiselines should allow this one small deviation without a fee, in my opinion. Won't happen, I know.

You obviously know Lisbon, so you should be fine. We'll be there next week, I notice that the metro system now goes to the airport. Not great with cruise luggage, of course. We'll be travelling with roll-aboards only this time.

wendy, I agree with you totally....if it is advisable ...why the cash grab...

is flying at night and arriving on the day of the sailing a deviation too?...probably is....but there is no other way to do it....

Is it true that if you're in a B4 cabin, it will be hard for me to make specialty dinner reservations?

Is it also true that only a cold breakfast will be available for room service?

Does anyone have a copy of that menu and does it include coffee?

Is it true that if you're in a B4 cabin, it will be hard for me to make specialty dinner reservations?

no, simply book on-line when your category is available.

or you can book when on board.

Might be able to get additional bookings on board depending on the makeup of the cruise and your flexibility as to seating and times. So Extras: maybe yes, maybe no but you will always be able to get your guaranteed allotment.

yes

hot coffee is available

It won't be difficult, but the more expensive accommodations will be getting first dibs at advance reservations, so you may have to flexible about dates, times and/or table size.

If you are a person who must eat at a particular time, then you may want to move up a category or two to avoid angst.

Below Concierge Level (which a B4 is), only Continental Breakfast is offered.

193314.jpg Yes and Yes :D

jim and stan , how about the air deviation angst...

I had asked why should I pay for deviation if I arrive on the day of sailing into lisbon at 9 am....and not staying in rio after arrival.....

I am prepared to not have direct flights...

has anyone not paid the deviation fee and received satisfactory flights...

jim and stan , how about the air deviation angst...

I had asked why should I pay for deviation if I arrive on the day of sailing into lisbon at 9 am....and not staying in rio after arrival.....

I am prepared to not have direct flights...

has anyone not paid the deviation fee and received satisfactory flights...

Our Rule of thumb is this:

If you desire simple transportation to and from the ship, then use Oceania, and leave the worrying in their hands. Their primary plan will get you there, and in plenty of time.

If you want to get involved with a particular Airline, a certain flight, upgrades, frequent flier miles, seating selection, etc, then call Oceania with a summary of those plans to see what it would cost you to book it through them. If you don't like their price, you can always opt out of using Oceania Air at all, but sometimes, their price will surprise you.

Ask them for what you want, you have nothing at all to lose.

It won't be difficult, but the more expensive accommodations will be getting first dibs at advance reservations, so you may have to flexible about dates, times and/or table size.

If you are a person who must eat at a particular time, then you may want to move up a category or two to avoid angst.

Below Concierge Level (which a B4 is), only Continental Breakfast is offered.

193314.jpg Yes and Yes :D

Thank you very much.

Which cabin categories get priority tender passes included in their extras?

Thanks

That amenity is no longer listed in the promotional materials for any cabin category, so if it happens at all, it would be through one's Butler.

butler-service.jpg Another reason to book a Suite :D

Ruth,

What a nice surprise to see you on here. I remember you from HAL board; you have provided many good answers. Do they have the chocolates for you on this line? We are taking the Holiday cruise out of Miami at the end of the year. Hope you have a great cruise.

Jo Ann

Thanks, Jo Ann.

Yes, I miss the "premium" cruise experience that HAL used to be, and am looking to find something like that again. It looks like Oceania may be a similar atmosphere.

I certainly do hope there are pillow chocolates! :eek:

Hope you, too, have a great cruise.

thanks jim and stan for your rule of thumb...

yes our flights are included with the price....if we dont want them, O gives you a refund of 750...for that there is no way we could get a flight from toronto to lisbon and then from rio to toronto....

I just want to eliminate the deviation charge if at all possible...it is like you say, if O will do their best to get us there...then why should I pay the deviation....

think I just answered my own question...

thanks everyone...

I've only seen it on the little signs you hang on the door to place your order, but you can have omelets, any type of eggs really, probably french toast and the like. We usually get an omelet and/or hot cereal. Plenty of bread/toast choices, etc., as well. It's quite comprehensive.

Mura

Flying from Phoenix to Miami for Oceania cruise..they will be doing the air......there is no flight which would get us in early the same day. Would O. fly us out the day before, put us in a hotel and transfer us to the ship at their expense departure day, since we'd have no choice? ...or would they hold up the ship's departure till we arrive...I know either option is possible, but wondering what their policy seems to be about this...

Flying from Phoenix to Miami for Oceania cruise..they will be doing the air......there is no flight which would get us in early the same day. Would O. fly us out the day before, put us in a hotel and transfer us to the ship at their expense departure day, since we'd have no choice? ...or would they hold up the ship's departure till we arrive...I know either option is possible, but wondering what their policy seems to be about this...

Sorry no, you are responsible for any hotel costs.

No, they would not hold the ship for you - they would book your flight with enough time for you to reach the port based on the flights scheduled arrival time.

"no flight which would get us in early the same day" Considering Miami is three hours ahead if you used a Star Trek transporter you would have to leave Phoenix at 6 a.m. to arrive at 9 a.m. Considering airplanes are much slower you would have to leave much earlier. There are flights from Phoenix to Miami that arrive early in the morning. They are red-eyes. So you arrive early in the morning after spending several hours of minimal uncomfortable sleep, plus possibly the pleasure of forcing yourself to stay awake for several hours during a transfer layover (at 5 a.m. your time) and then arrive at Miami airport looking fresh as a (week old) daisy at 9 a.m.

Flying from the west coast we are often on overnight flights. I can feel the jet lag now. Think of it as a free hotel room for the night :)

So another reason to choose you own flights and arrive the day before.

I've only seen it on the little signs you hang on the door to place your order, but you can have omelets, any type of eggs really, probably french toast and the like. We usually get an omelet and/or hot cereal. Plenty of bread/toast choices, etc., as well. It's quite comprehensive.

Mura

I really thought that that I had acknowledge your answer before; but, apparently, I messed it up -- SO

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are flights that arrive at 2pm in MIA

if the ship sails at 6pm you will make it just fine, mind you they will be very early flights from your end

Archived