My (requested) turn for advise, please

Scoop_MSU

After about 13 revisions, I think I'm ready to put this proposed itinerary up for critique from all you Alaska experts (You know who you are - Budget Queen, vbmom87, mapleleaves, Northern Aurora, et. al.) This MS State Bulldog will even listen to olemissreb :)

There are a few gaps you will notice where I'm looking for guidance - where to stay in Seward - where to eat in a couple of places but believe I'm getting closer. Plan to post over on the planned/completed itinery thread when get done.

Enjoy the reading - and thanks to all in advance.

Alaska

Day 1 (Monday, 6-9):

Fly into Anchorage (attempt to get in around 7pm – most are at 10:30pm)

Rent car – (eat – depends on flights – can eat at Denver if on 10:30 arrival; can eat in Anchorage if get in earlier)

Stay at Millennium Alaskan Hotel

Day 2 (Tuesday, 6-10):

Drive to Wasilla –¾ - 1 hour - see Iditarod Headquarters

Lunch - ?(Where)?

Drive to Palmer - 20 minute drive - (Knik Glacier (4 hour tour – 2pm))

Start taking reservations 12/2013

Drive to Talkeetna – roughly 1 ½

Stay at Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge (can’t book yet)

Dinner – Talkeetna Road House or Latitude 62 Lodge?

Day 3 (Wednesday, 6-11):

Flight tour of McKinley – Talkeetna Air Grand Denali Tour ($325.00 pp) – booked for 10:45 take off

Drive to Healy – 3 hours

Stay at Denali Touch of Wilderness - $198 per night (booked – 2 nights)

Dinner – 49th State Brewery & Restaurant; Black Diamond’s Grill or Rose’s Café?

Day 4 (Thursday, 6-12):

Denali tour – minimum Eielson Visitor Center – consider Wonder Lake

Eielson – 8 hours, $33.50pp; Wonder Lake- 11 hours, $46.00pp) – book via Aramark on 12/1/2013.

Remember to take sack lunch/drinks

Stay as above

Dinner – one of the others listed above

Day 5 (Friday, 6-13): Plan A

Morning at Park or backup plan for McKinley flight (Denali Helicopter – various times - $439pp)

Drive to Anchorage – 4 hours

Lunch in Anchorage (get with Lori/Rick)

Drive to Girdwood - ¾ - 1 hour

Stay at the Hotel Alyeska (appx $249)

Take tram ride and eat at Seven Glaciers Restaurant

Plan B (if delayed for McKinley flight)

Drive to Anchorage

Stay at Fairfield Inn or Crowne Plaza

Dinner (get with Lori /Rick – Sullivan’s Steakhouse)

Day 6 (Saturday, 6-14): Plan A

Drive to Seward – 1 ¾ hrs

Major Marine Kenai Fjords 7½ tour ($169 pp + $19 pp for salmon/prime rib) 1000-1730 OR

Northwestern Fjords Tour – 0900-1800 ($174 pp – breakfast and lunch)

Stay at ? Holiday Inn Express ?

Dinner at ?

Day 6 (Saturday 6-14): Plan B

Drive to Seward – 2½ hours

Northwestern Fjords Tour – 0900-1800 OR

Major Marine Kenai Fjords 7½ tour

Dinner at ?

Day 7 (Sunday, 6-15):

Drive to Portage Glacier – 1½ hours – take Glacier cruise ($34 pp) – 1 hour

Ride tram at Hotel Alyeska if on Plan B?

Drive to Anchorage – 1 hour

Visit Culture Center, Museum, Wild Berry Park

Day 8 (Monday, 6-16):

Turn in rental car

Alaska RR to Whittier (depart 0945; arrive 1205)

Major Marine Prince William Sound Tour – 1215-1730

Board Norwegian Sun for 2100 departure

Day 9 (Tuesday, 6-17): Cruise Hubbard Glacier

Day 10 (Wednesday, 6-18): Icy Strait Point - in port 0900-1700

Misty Bay Lodge Whale Watch (emailed – waiting response)

Day 11 (Thursday, 6-19): Juneau - in port 0700-1325

Mendenhall Glacier – Mt. Roberts tram?

Day 12 (Friday, 6-20): Skagway - in port 0700-1700

TBD

Day 13 (Saturday, 6-21): Ketchikan - in port 1300-2000

Island Wings Misty Fjords flightseeing trip (booked – 1400-1630)

Day 14 (Sunday, 6-22): Cruise Inside Passage

Day 15 (Monday, 6-23) Vancouver - arrive 0800

You are very organized. Often Alaska isn't due to weather/traffic/road construction issues.

The best card to have in your deck is a willingness to adapt to changes, some at the last minute.

Just to be a bit picky, I would skip the boat trip on Portage Glacier as you will see plenty of that sort of scenery especially on the Alaska Railroad to Whittier which is a nice ride.

Restaurants open/close/have large group bookings that come up so have a Plan B for meals or wing it. As you will have a rented car, I would stop either on your way out of Anchorage or in Wasilla to pick up a cheaper cooler for your own drinks and snacks. That will save you real money.

There are good places to walk at Alyeska so allow time for that. There's a good chance to see moose (be careful of them) and bears. (be wise about bears).

Allow time when driving Turnagain Arm to Alyeska/Girdwood to stop at Potter Marsh for free viewing of birds and other wildlife. The scenery along Turnagain Arm is some of the best on our planet. You can do a GOOGLE StreetView of the trip to have a nice preview.

Be emotionally prepared not to be able to flightsee due to weather issues. Have back up ideas of those times.

Remember it is a vacation and not a job. Enjoy it all and take time to take it all in. I've seen visitors at several places including Portage Glacier and Mendenall Glacier in Juneau walk right past BEARS and never seen them.

Alaska

Day 1 (Monday, 6-9):

Fly into Anchorage (attempt to get in around 7pm – most are at 10:30pm)

Rent car – (eat – depends on flights – can eat at Denver if on 10:30 arrival; can eat in Anchorage if get in earlier)

Stay at Millennium Alaskan Hotel

Day 2 (Tuesday, 6-10):

Drive to Wasilla –¾ - 1 hour - see Iditarod Headquarters

Lunch - ?(Where)?

Drive to Palmer - 20 minute drive - (Knik Glacier (4 hour tour – 2pm))

Start taking reservations 12/2013

Drive to Talkeetna – roughly 1 ½

Stay at Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge (can’t book yet)

Dinner – Talkeetna Road House or Latitude 62 Lodge?

You probably realize you are backtracking here, but I would suggest driving to Palmer from Anchorage, have lunch in Palmer, do your tour, dinner in Wasilla (or leave dinner until Talkeetna, but give your self at least 2 hours to get to Talkeetna from Palmer), and then drive to Talkeetna. Leave Iditarod headquarters for the day you go back through Wasilla, unless you can do an earlier Knik Glacier tour (in which case you could then got to Iditarod headquarters on your way to Talkeetna).

Day 3 (Wednesday, 6-11):

Flight tour of McKinley – Talkeetna Air Grand Denali Tour ($325.00 pp) – booked for 10:45 take off

Drive to Healy – 3 hours

Stay at Denali Touch of Wilderness - $198 per night (booked – 2 nights)

Dinner – 49th State Brewery & Restaurant; Black Diamond’s Grill or Rose’s Café?

Day 4 (Thursday, 6-12):

Denali tour – minimum Eielson Visitor Center – consider Wonder Lake

Eielson – 8 hours, $33.50pp; Wonder Lake- 11 hours, $46.00pp) – book via Aramark on 12/1/2013.

Remember to take sack lunch/drinks

Stay as above

Dinner – one of the others listed above

Day 5 (Friday, 6-13): Plan A

Morning at Park or backup plan for McKinley flight (Denali Helicopter – various times - $439pp)

Drive to Anchorage – 4 hours Give yourself at least 5 hours to get to Anchorage from Denali, longer if stopping at Iditarod headquarters. There are things to see along the way, not necessarily planned...don't just rush from destination to destination, but take time to enjoy the scenery, any animals you might encounter, etc.

Lunch in Anchorage (get with Lori/Rick)

Drive to Girdwood - ¾ - 1 hour

Stay at the Hotel Alyeska (appx $249)

Take tram ride and eat at Seven Glaciers Restaurant

Plan B (if delayed for McKinley flight)

Drive to Anchorage

Dinner (get with Lori /Rick – Sullivan’s Steakhouse)

Day 6 (Saturday, 6-14): Plan A

Drive to Seward – 1 ¾ hrs

Major Marine Kenai Fjords 7½ tour ($169 pp + $19 pp for salmon/prime rib) 1000-1730 OR

Northwestern Fjords Tour – 0900-1800 ($174 pp – breakfast and lunch)

Dinner at ?

Day 6 (Saturday 6-14): Plan B

Drive to Seward – 2½ hours Give yourself 3 hours minimum--Saturday traffic in the summer can be heavy going that direction.

Northwestern Fjords Tour – 0900-1800 OR

Major Marine Kenai Fjords 7½ tour

Dinner at ?

Day 7 (Sunday, 6-15):

Drive to Portage Glacier – 1½ hours – take Glacier cruise ($34 pp) – 1 hour

I too would skip the glacier cruise--sometimes you can't even get near the glacier because of ice in the water. And you're going to the Knik Glacier.

Ride tram at Hotel Alyeska if on Plan B?

Drive to Anchorage – 1 hour

Visit Culture Center, Museum, Wild Berry Park

Day 8 (Monday, 6-16):

Turn in rental car

Alaska RR to Whittier (depart 0945; arrive 1205)

Major Marine Prince William Sound Tour – 1215-1730

Board Norwegian Sun for 2100 departure

Haven't you been working hard!!! I would like to suggest the Parks 229 Restaurant when you are in Denali. We loved, loved, loved it!!!!

http://www.229parks.com/

Have you checked into any of the coupon books for Alaska to save a few dollars? As others have said Portage Glacier is not a "must do." We actually had coupons in 2008 for two free tours. For free it was very nice, but we didn't think it was worth the price if we had to pay for it. However, if you really want to do this, go for it.

Another option in the area would be to take the hike to Byron Glacier.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/chugach/recreation/hiking/recarea/?recid=6606&actid=50

Remember to take precautions for sea sickness for the Kenai Fjords Tour.

I have a general comment and a specific one - you are way too organized. You obviously need to have your lodging booked and a general idea of what you are planning to do but you have planned by the hour and have also decided what places you are going to eat at. No way would I go with that level of detail. You have even planned your driving time down to the minute in one case. What if there are traffic jams or you are slowed down by construction - your whole schedule goes down the tubes.

Also, you are overspending by staying at hotels or motels. If it is not too late to get into the good B&Bs, stay there instead. You get to meet real Alaskans instead of more tourists, you meet interesting people at the breakfast table, and you even save some money.

DON

Thanks for the tips so far - KEEP THEM COMING!

No problem dropping the Portage Glacier idea - I'm sure we can fill whatever time that was going to take with sightseeing somewhere else.

mytime53 - nice catch on the Palmer/Wasilla leg - I was thinking too linear - was concentrating on Anchorage to Talkeetna as complete leg for that day and actually came across Palmer as an afterthought. Now see I can stay on A1 to Palmer (and yes, there is a 1000 tour), then see what time is available in Wasilla on way.

Will be sure to allow additional time for driving - have seen too many posts about construction on the roads during the summer not to. May have to adjust "wake up" time on some mornings but doable.

Last time I looked for the coupon books, they did not have 2014 yet. Heard they come out in November?? Do have a copy of the Milepost already.

vbmom87 - will have something for sea sickness just in case although it's never been an issue for either of us - living near water all our lives, we have been on small boats out in the Gulf and elsewhere without problems. Will check into Parks 229. Thanks.

donaldsc - I suspect there is little I can do about your general comment. It's my lot in life to be the planner/organizer for the wife and I. She has gotten quite comfortable with vacations/trips where all she has to do is get in the car, on the plane or boat and let me tell her where we going and what we're doing each day. As to the lodging, no issue with me on where to stay - open to changing any of that. We are booked in the B&B at Healy. Only other thoughts about the specific ones I mentioned is I kinda figure we won't be getting into Anchorage until late at night and I know the Millenium is basically right at the airport so it's a quick trip to bed for rest. As to the Fairfield/Crowne Plaza thoughts, having stayed there some last year, I know my way around (generally) and know they are only a few blocks from getting out of town southbound (just past Alaska WildBerry) and also how to get to the Culture Center at the hospital when in town. Would gladly research some B&B's if you know of some. Same with staying in Seward.

Thanks again :)

donaldsc - I suspect there is little I can do about your general comment. It's my lot in life to be the planner/organizer for the wife and I. She has gotten quite comfortable with vacations/trips where all she has to do is get in the car, on the plane or boat and let me tell her where we going and what we're doing each day. As to the lodging, no issue with me on where to stay - open to changing any of that. We are booked in the B&B at Healy. Only other thoughts about the specific ones I mentioned is I kinda figure we won't be getting into Anchorage until late at night and I know the Millenium is basically right at the airport so it's a quick trip to bed for rest. As to the Fairfield/Crowne Plaza thoughts, having stayed there some last year, I know my way around (generally) and know they are only a few blocks from getting out of town southbound (just past Alaska WildBerry) and also how to get to the Culture Center at the hospital when in town. Would gladly research some B&B's if you know of some. Same with staying in Seward.

Thanks again :)

You sound a lot like me, only it is the reverse. I do all the planning and my husband just shows up . ;) I also had each day of my AK trip very planned out, just like you. However, we made changes along the way and it was easy to do. In my case I ended up getting a severe allergy/asthma flareup and we simply couldn't do everything we had planned on the land portion. I sure wish we could have included every single thing I planned, but it just couldn't happen. I like to be over planned. To me, there is nothing worse than getting somewhere and then wasting time trying to figure out what to do. If a place you planned to spend two hours at ends up being a bust, I like to have an immediate plan B in place. You did well in my book!!!

After about 13 revisions, I think I'm ready to put this proposed itinerary up for critique from all you Alaska experts (You know who you are - Budget Queen, vbmom87, mapleleaves, Northern Aurora, et. al.) This MS State Bulldog will even listen to olemissreb :)

A Bulldog in Death Valley? Boy that must really SUCK! :) Having graduated high school in Slidell, I so wanted to bolt the state and got razzed about going to God's Country! :)

I am by no means an expert on Alaska. I have been planning for 2 years and it's come together pretty nice with the help of everyone else you mentioned. That being said, I do think you may have scheduled yourself and DW a little too much. Why not have some things as simply "options"? That way if you find your not adjusting to the time difference as well as expected, you don't feel obligated to "do it all". Because my DS's are joining us, I tried not to schedule full days of activities. A day here or there may be full, but not every day. I'll have a folder full of other ideas and if we choose to do them, great. If not, that's fine too. I'm operating on the assumption that we will get back someday to do the things we missed this time around.

As for lodging, if it were just the DH and I? I'd go the B&B route too. With 2 teenage sons, that just wasn't in the cards. My youngest son is soooooooo active, we really needed to be as close to the action as we could. The only exception is when we are staying at the Homestead Cabins near the Matanuska Glacier. Even then it's not really a B&B.

We are taking the train from Anchorage to Seward and we won't have a car in Seward so that is the primary reason we are staying at the Holiday Inn Express. It seems to be walking distance from just about everything.

The coupon books do come out in November. I am finding that the Northern Lights will probably be more helpful to us than the TourSaver. NL has many restaurant coupons and shopping coupons and many of the same tours, car rental & hotel coupons as TourSaver. The TourSaver really is primarily about tours (with some hotel and car rentals thrown in).

Enjoy the planning! & HOTTY TODDY!:D

Nice job on your research! Sounds like a fun trip. Is this for 2 adults or are there kids too? I agree with the previous comment about having back up plans, especially if you encounter heavy rain or fog.

I too wondered about the Wasilla Palmer backtracking but assumed you were filling in time while waiting for the Knik tour. (I always recommend a quick stop at Eklutna to see the spirit houses and orthodox church; about 20 miles north of Anchorage. It fascinates me.)

Regarding your plan A and B for Seward ... if you're using a coupon for the cruise you need to book in advance. So if you can't determine what time you'll get to Seward it might be best to book the noon-ish tour, I think it's 11:30am to 5. Regardless of where you spend the previous night you KNOW you can be in Seward for 11am. I'd suggest overnighting in Girdwood anyway ... it will be light until 11pm and it's only 35-40 minutes south of Anchorage. The Alyeska Resort isn't the only option. There are some lovely B&B's in Girdwood ... Hidden Creek, Glacier View. Check the Girdwood Chamber of Commerce site.

As for lodging in Seward .. what are you looking for? Check the town web site for options ... they range from Exit Glacier Lodge to cabins at Seavy's Iditarod to B&B's to Holiday Inn or Best Western.

I think you will probably drop the Portage Lake cruise due to your other glacier experiences. But there's enough to do around Portage/Girdwood to occupy your time. Check 'Related Links' on the right side of the page for some easy trails around the glacier: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/chugach/home/?cid=stelprdb5251148

Have a great trip!

Will be sure to allow additional time for driving - have seen too many posts about construction on the roads during the summer not to. May have to adjust "wake up" time on some mornings but doable.

They're finishing up construction of a new bridge at about mile 24 of the Seward Highway. Suppose to be done in July 2013. Expect delays, one lane traffic and flaggers.

As a general observation, I too see, way too much "scheduling".

I also think, you are underestimating the time, you will have to allow from Girdwood- to getting on a Kenai Fjords boat tour, in Seward. You are better off staying in Seward the night prior.

You are paying needlessly for an extra day with your rental car- picking it up the night of arrival, and turning it in, am prior to Alaska RR? Turn it in based on a 24 hour clock the night before.

Since others have had some excellent suggestions, I don't want to be redundant.

In terms of lodging in Seward we stayed at the Best Western Edgewater for two nights the summer of 2011. We loved the location across from the Sea Life Center. While we had one of our own vehicles, it seems to me that they might have had a courtesy shuttle. The room was very clean and quiet, and a nice breakfast (similar to what is offered at Hampton Inns) with both hot and cold items was included.

We also enjoy dinners at Rays Waterfront in Seward.

If you want to save a little $$, I would consider waiting until the following morning to get the rental car in Anchorage. Assuming the hotel has all the necessities, and a shuttle to the airport (where I assume you are renting your car), you could save 1 days rental. That's what I'm doing in Aug...picking the car up the morning we head out of Anchorage, not the night we arrive. Of course, I've already scoped out shuttles, walking distances, etc.

Just my .02

Archived