Settle this Argument for us.... To wear Jeans or not

lawgirl

I love to dress up especially on cruises.... Probably I overdress. BUT, DH is super casual. So tonight we argued over whether he can/should wear jeans in the MDR or specialty restaurants...I say his jeans (normal jeans, not dressy but not torn) are too casual. He says half the guys will be in jeans....

Thoughts? Also, does DH need a jacket or tie in specialty restaurants? Hope not.... As I can't seem to even get him out of jeans! At least I will be looking fab! LOL

We are boarding Eclipse this Saturday and will be dining in BLU most nights. Both DH and I are wearing dark jeans and nice tops and shirts to dinner. From other threads I have read on this subject, this is acceptable. I feel the dark jeans look dressier that the lighter shade or faded jeans.

I love to dress up especially on cruises.... Probably I overdress. BUT, DH is super casual. So tonight we argued over whether he can/should wear jeans in the MDR or specialty restaurants...I say his jeans (normal jeans, not dressy but not torn) are too casual. He says half the guys will be in jeans....

Thoughts? Also, does DH need a jacket or tie in specialty restaurants? Hope not.... As I can't seem to even get him out of jeans! At least I will be looking fab! LOL

Your handle is lawgirl, so I'm going to stick to the rules. The dress code for the MDR is either formal for two nights on a 7 night cruise and smart casual for the remainder of nights. The dress code for the specialty restaurants is smart casual every night. Jeans are permitted under the written rules on smart casual nights (and every night in the specialty restaurants). Jacket or tie is not required under the smart casual dress code and is, accordingly, not required at any time in the specialty restaurants.

just get a pair or 2 of khakis I wear cargo pants all the time much better than jeans with the large front pockets but for dinner I will put a pair of nicer pants on.

I do have some nicer jeans too but I prefer a more relaxed fit .

BKFlowermound gave you a great answer. The only thing I'll add is that on my experience in Celebrity dining rooms - I would not say that half the guys are in jeans. I would say its less than 20% and that is being generous on Carribean cruises. But the dress code says jeans are allowed during smart casual; however, I wouldn't expect it to be the norm of fellow cruisers.

And to settle your argument - I normally just do what my wife wants. It makes my life a lot easier.

No problem, this will be fine. I dress up a bit more than my husband, but he wears jeans ever night. We eat in Blu so he doesn't have to worry about formal night. No jacket or tie is needed needed in specialty restaurants.

He IS going to lose this argument! After all I am a woman and a litigation attorney! Ha ha!

are Hawaiian type shirts and khakis Ok in specialty restaurants? It is a Hawaiian cruise.

Actually, no, half the guys won't be in jeans thank god! :rolleyes:

He IS going to lose this argument! After all I am a woman and a litigation attorney! Ha ha!

are Hawaiian type shirts and khakis Ok in specialty restaurants? It is a Hawaiian cruise.

Yes, as are jeans and believe me some do wear them, not nessacarily designer either. But the dress code does allow jeans therefore there is no reason to be critical of those who wear them.

Well.....

I'm on his side but for your benefit I will say that probably much less than 50% will be wearing jeans. As others have pointed out they are fine under the smart casual dress code but most people on Celebrity tend to avoid them.

Are we talking blue jeans? If so you could at least get him to wear black. Even I make that concession.

Jackets and ties are certainly not required in the specialty restaurants on any night and jeans will be fine there too.

Having done a Celebrity Hawaii cruise this past Oct/Nov...I can assure you that Hawaiian shirts are almost de rigueur on those cruises !!:D Well, at least certainly in abundant and colorful display !! Not wearing a Hawaiian shirt would no doubt be "Contempt" (my attempt at a bit of legal humor) :)

Hawaii is fantastic...Enjoy !!

Woody

Did see some blue denim jeans, even on formal nights. It is nice to see that people have made a little effort to wash and brush up, rather than usual daytime jeans, but it doesn't really bother me what other people wear.

My DH wears 'jeans' on non formal nights. They are darker, smart ones or the newer fashionable wine or mustard coloured slim chino types, with smart casual shirts. Kind of smart/ casual resort holiday clothes.

One formal night, as we'd already done 2 formals, we decided to give it a miss and ate at the buffet, obviously dressed more casually, but still very smart. We went to Al Bacio for coffee afterwards. Big mistake! A lady from the fashion police passing through from the dining room stopped dead in front of DH, looked him up and down, grimaced and walked off with her nose in the air LOL! :rolleyes:

One formal night, as we'd already done 2 formals, we decided to give it a miss and ate at the buffet, obviously dressed more casually, but still very smart. We went to Al Bacio for coffee afterwards. Big mistake! A lady from the fashion police passing through from the dining room stopped dead in front of DH, looked him up and down, grimaced and walked off with her nose in the air LOL! :rolleyes:

IMHO, this 'lady' and anyone else who shows their opinion of another cruiser's dress choice demonstrates much less class than the people they are criticizing. I know which ones I would prefer to share a table with. A true 'lady' doesn't need to show their superiority by making others feel uncomfortable.

Sheila

I don't care what other people wear it does not bother me, unless you have a wife beater on and are reaching over my plate. But for me a cruise is a vacation and I hate getting dressed up, so if I have to wear something 1/2 decent I go with dockers - I find them more comfy than jeans.

You can always get by with a jacket--sans tie, etc. on formal nights.

I agree khakis-dockers--more comfortable than jeans--not as heavy.

The guys that do the tux thing?? if they really enjoy wearing those monkey suits, ???? Most of them are coerced by their better halfs and go to the cabin and change as soon as they can after dinner to get normal again.;)

We went to Al Bacio for coffee afterwards. Big mistake! A lady from the fashion police passing through from the dining room stopped dead in front of DH, looked him up and down, grimaced and walked off with her nose in the air LOL!

This is so funny. The nerve! :p

We went to Al Bacio for coffee afterwards. Big mistake! A lady from the fashion police passing through from the dining room stopped dead in front of DH, looked him up and down, grimaced and walked off with her nose in the air LOL!

This is so funny. The nerve! :p

It's funny now, but if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it. The worst part about it, she had the most messy, badly dyed blonde, fuzzy scarecrow hair, that she was unforgettable, and we spotted her round the ship for the rest of the cruise. We christened her 'bad hair day lady' LOL! :)

Archived