Moreton Island report??

I see where Pac Jewel has made at least one scheduled stopover at Moreton Island on one of P&O's new 4 day cruises from Sydney.

Has anybody heard any reports of how the visits to the Island are going???

Barry

I would also be interested to hear reports regarding Moreton Island.

My daughter is interested in going on one of these cruises.She gets seasick in the bathtub so I don't know how she would go on a cruise:)

Regards Elaine.

My daughter is interested in going on one of these cruises.She gets seasick in the bathtub so I don't know how she would go on a cruise:)

Regards Elaine.

She will be all right Elaine....the cabins have showers .:D;)

sorry ..I am in a frivolous mood this evening:)

She will be all right Elaine....the cabins have showers .:D;)

sorry ..I am in a frivolous mood this evening:)

Good one.I'm also surprised that my daughter is spending money! Her husband calls her purse the onion as everytime she opens it she cries:)

Regards Elaine.

Regards Elaine.

I suggest she buy some Avomine. This is an antihistamine and is what is recommended on board P&O ships. I suffer badly from seasickness, and Avomine is the best and doesn't make me sleepy:). It costs around $9.40 for 30 tablets from Chemist Warehouse. :):)

• 10 months later...

Hi Marion,

We were on a Moreton Island cruise on Pacific Jewel in September. Tendering was pretty easy to be honest, however as the ship anchors to the west of one of the shipping channels, there were times when ships were coming in and out of the Bay that the tenders had to amend their course to pass astern of the arriving/departing vessel.

We actually went over and back twice, on the second occasion we came back on a large catermaran rather than a tender. While this should have been quicker and easier, to be honest it wasn't and the crew of the cat did not seem organised on arrival back at the ship - disembarkation from the cat back to Pacific Jewel was a shambles, much slower than from the ships tenders. To be honest I think that the ships deck crew are farm more used to the tendering operations than the crews of the big cat.

Cheers,

Different from the cats at Airlie Beach. Loved those... comfortable, air conned, spacious, fast and loads/unloads were quick.

Yes, the catamarans are great if you're one of the last on and first off otherwise there can be LOTS of waiting until it is filled / emptied. :eek:

We have used the catamarans at Airline Beach, Yorkers Knob and Port Douglas.

They were far more comfortable than the tenders, the scenery could be viewed much better,and if you suffer claustrophobia or allergy to diesel fumes you would wish all tendering could be with catamarans. :)

Hi Marion,

We were on a Moreton Island cruise on Pacific Jewel in September. Tendering was pretty easy to be honest, however as the ship anchors to the west of one of the shipping channels, there were times when ships were coming in and out of the Bay that the tenders had to amend their course to pass astern of the arriving/departing vessel.

Cheers,

What were the activities available on the island?

What were the activities available on the island?

The one that is pushed as different is feeding the Dolphins at $150 each Adult and Children. Due to numbers you are limited to about 5 minutes max.:( Feeding occurs after sunset.

Also available is snorkeling near the wrecks. Other options include Sand Boarding, segways, boat tour of the area near wrecks, Parasailing, trip to north of Island and short helicopter rides.

We have used the catamarans at Airline Beach, Yorkers Knob and Port Douglas.

They were far more comfortable than the tenders, the scenery could be viewed much better,and if you suffer claustrophobia or allergy to diesel fumes you would wish all tendering could be with catamarans. :)

That should be Airlie Beach and Yorkeys Knob but my spelling corrector thought otherwise and changed it.

We did this cruise on Pacific Jewell last year. The ship was pre refurbishing and was not in the best of condition but we got a great price for a suite and had a few days off as DH was FIFO. Some things are done better by other cruise lines than P&O but other things just as well or sometimes better. The entertainment was good - Peter Cupples band for those who remember and the 4 ingredient lady with her cooking demos as well as the aerial acts. We loved Moreton Island even though it poured raining when ashore for quite some time. We booked a 4WD bus tour of the island (ship's tour). We travelled along the beach, through the interior up to the lighthouse then along the other side along the beach. Really enjoyed it, especially the damper and sparkling wine for afternoon tea! No trouble tendering - ships tender and catamaran.