Beware of RCCL Visa Card

Do not use the RCCL Visa Card for onboard credit.

You can't be 100% sure you are going to have your onboard credit until you are on the ship and if it's not there, you will never get and it can really ruin a vacation.

I have been told very clearly by both Bank of America and RCCL that they have no ability to give you credit after the fact. So you end up with a bunch of points, no plans for another cruise and a bill for expenses you thought were free...

The online points redemption must have glitched. A Customer Service Representative from RCCL told me she could see the credit applied (it must have been the $500 off the cruise because I now know they can't be seen) and even though the Guest Services Manager on the cruise gave me her card and said it could be fixed afterwards (obviously not). Both were inaccurate and unknowledgeable.

Save yourself a big disappointment during your cruise and headache after the cruise and stick to using points for cruise credits, those you can see and verify.

I always use some of my points for OBC and have never had a problem. I always call RCCL and get a revised invoice copy that shows the OBC.

This year it didn't show up until about 2-3 weeks before the cruise, but I had the invoice copy, so there was no doubt it was there. The customer service reps can see when it has been posted.

Also, if you have your email confirmation of the redemption, I think they can fix it onboard at Guest Services if there is a problem.

You can't be 100% sure you are going to have your onboard credit until you are on the ship and if it's not there, you will never get and it can really ruin a vacation.

The last two times I did this, Crown and Anchor was able to verify my OBC with no problem. Time to call and verify for this trip.

I have been told very clearly by both Bank of America and RCCL that they have no ability to give you credit after the fact. So you end up with a bunch of points, no plans for another cruise and a bill for expenses you thought were free...

The online points redemption must have glitched. A Customer Service Representative from RCCL told me she could see the credit applied (it must have been the $500 off the cruise because I now know they can't be seen) and even though the Guest Services Manager on the cruise gave me her card and said it could be fixed afterwards (obviously not). Both were inaccurate and unknowledgeable.

Save yourself a big disappointment during your cruise and headache after the cruise and stick to using points for cruise credits, those you can see and verify.

Didn't you have your email confirmation of the redemption to show them? They could have tracked it down with that. Always bring your paperwork with you.

OP – Sorry, you had a problem. I am a bit confused from your post. If you used the points for $$ of the price of the cruise, then you would know that is was applied as the cost of the cruise would be decreased.

We’ve used points for a variety of redemption types ( Upgrade, on board credit, free cruise) and have never had any issues. Sometimes the on board credits ( VISA as well as other on board credits) do not show up until mid cruise but they have ALWAYS shown up.

M

I called and the representative said she could see the $500 on board credit. Unfortunately, she was wrong. I never got the confirmation email because there must have been a system glitch and I wasn't expecting the email for up to a week later because that's how long it took the time before... As I've been told several times now, the email now comes immediately.

The issue is that neither RCCL or Bank of America will take the 50,000 points and give me the $500 to pay for the bill for my onboard charges.

Customer service is non-existent in this situation. It's unless you can prove that the representative misinformed you (I'll record her next time) or that there was a system glitch (I'm tempted to have someone look up my web history and prove I went to redeem points) or it's too bad, so sorry. No customer service, no common sense person to look at the situation and say "Yeah, she had 50,000 points, is a loyal customer and says she redeemed the points but there was an error"

I called and the representative said she could see the $500 on board credit. Unfortunately, she was wrong. I never got the confirmation email because there must have been a system glitch and I wasn't expecting the email for up to a week later because that's how long it took the time before... As I've been told several times now, the email now comes immediately.

The issue is that neither RCCL or Bank of America will take the 50,000 points and give me the $500 to pay for the bill for my onboard charges.

Customer service is non-existent in this situation. It's unless you can prove that the representative misinformed you (I'll record her next time) or that there was a system glitch (I'm tempted to have someone look up my web history and prove I went to redeem points) or it's too bad, so sorry. No customer service, no common sense person to look at the situation and say "Yeah, she had 50,000 points, is a loyal customer and says she redeemed the points but there was an error"

Are the 50,000 points still in your account?

Every time I have used points for OBC, I get an e-mail confirmation almost immediately. I print that and take with me, but I have never had to produce the confirmation as my OBC has always shown up. Sorry you had a problem. Did you not get a confirmation e-mail?

Wow, that is weird. I've redeemed points for OBC several times without a problem. I've always brought my confirmation email along just in case, but have never needed it. I'm sorry that this got messed up for you, but I can certainly understand how they can't go back and let people redeem points after the fact. When you called and were told that the points had been applied for $500 OBC, did you ask for any type of email confirmation? I'm always paranoid about this exact thing, so I make sure I always have proof with me of whatever OBC I'm entitled to, whether it's from VISA points or a promotional offer.

So, if you were expecting an email a week later and it didn't come, why wouldn't you call back? If the points are still in your account, why wouldn't you call back? Did you write down the name of the rep and the time you spoke to her? They can pull the tape and hear what was actually said. Did you explain there were actually 2 50,000 point transactions that you were looking for, not just one?

I understand that you are upset that you didn't get your OBC, but it looks like there were mistakes made on both sides.

I always double check before I go since I don't want any issues on vacation. Put me in the "never had a problem" category.... and I will continue to use my card to accrue points. ;)

Computer glitches happen, accidents happen, people make mistakes, people give out the wrong information... The fact that neither Bank of America or RCCL have any ability to rectify the situation for a very good customer is a huge issue.

Note: I'm a Platinum Member and booked 3 seperate staterooms for this cruise.... Yet, they have no problem with telling me too bad so sad. That's really poor customer service if you ask me.

Yeah, I've never had a problem before either..... until this last time.....

I'm posting on here so people know that if they do have a problem for whatever reason (maybe you have an email and the points still don't show up) that neither RCCL or Bank of America will provide you any customer service to fix it after the fact.

You are safer to use the points for cruise credits. And I will continue to use my card to do that but I will never use them for onboard credit again.

First let me say that I have used points for OBC on several cruises and never had a problem. Second, if the points are still in your account, why would you think they had been converted to OBC. If you use points for anything, they are immediately removed from your account.

Yeah, I've never had a problem before either..... until this last time.....

I'm posting on here so people know that if they do have a problem for whatever reason (maybe you have an email and the points still don't show up) that neither RCCL or Bank of America will provide you any customer service to fix it after the fact.

You are safer to use the points for cruise credits. And I will continue to use my card to do that but I will never use them for onboard credit again.

Did you get the email confirmation that you converted your points?

About a week before I sailed, I requested a new invoice and it clearly showed the OBC. If I didn't see it there, I would have assumed it had not been applied and would have tried to get it applied prior to sailing, with an updated invoice. Especially if the points hadn't been deducted from my account, the major red flag. I can understand it being hard to retroactively get the credit applied, but both parties have fault here.

Just back, no issues with OBC. I do wish they could figure out how to send an updated invoice when it is applied instead of having to track it down.

Thanks for your post! Just last night I redeemed 40,000 points. My Visa account shows the redemption but I didn't receive a confirming email; however, I did print the confirmation directly from the transaction. I will also contact RCCL for an updated invoice after reading your post. I think I prefer the way Disney handles their card. You redeem your points, they send you a card(s) with the dollar value & you take it to customer service when you board for the OBC. No problems. Hopefully, all will work out just fine. I'll be sure to handle from my end before I embark.

Thanks for your post! Just last night I redeemed 40,000 points. My Visa account shows the redemption but I didn't receive a confirming email; however, I did print the confirmation directly from the transaction. I will also contact RCCL for an updated invoice after reading your post. I think I prefer the way Disney handles their card. You redeem your points, they send you a card(s) with the dollar value & you take it to customer service when you board for the OBC. No problems. Hopefully, all will work out just fine. I'll be sure to handle from my end before I embark.

That would be nice, a gift card to apply to the cabin.

Archived