Tell us your butler stories!

cruisinsuz

Our Butler, Ashwin was very nice and almost too professional.:rolleyes: We wished that he wouldn't have been so stiff. We rarely asked him for anything. When we did, he seemed very pleased to help us...almost like he was bored.

Most times that we saw him, he was standing in the hall between the elevators and stairs. Does anyone know how many staterooms a Butler is in charge of? It was almost like he was taking care of all the aft Sky Suites.

I have to say that we were a little creeped out to come in after a day in port to find that our Butler had been in the stateroom and left us a little plate of appetizers. I know he meant well, but we would prefer he not enter without us being there.

A funny story...One afternoon, we got off of the elevator and turned the corner in our hall to the stateroom. There he was...knocking on our door and at the same time opening it and saying "hello!" He had the afternoon appetizer cart. We responding a loud "hello" from the hall. He must have jumped a mile! :D

Another funny story...when we were in port one afternoon, we heard a little girl ask her mother what time it was. When the mother answered that it was after 4:00, the little girl started whining "Oh no!...we missed the appetizer man." :)

I stick the welcome red rose in the water glass in the bathroom

Not sure what a "welcome rose" is, but I put my rose from the Captain in a bathroom glass. Freshened up the bathroom all week. :D

Also pictured is our "bouquet" in a Sky Suite. Very nice and perfectly sized for the table.

1048385625_CopyofDSC09812.jpg.b3c1ae208f06339b609ebd00e55cf3ed.jpg

1439396307_CopyofDSC09821.jpg.21b07433d1c996235e81306a263b43ca.jpg

To think one would argue with their butler over flowers, that seems so silly :eek:

quote]

Hmmm. It clearly stated on the website that one of the perks of a suite was fresh flowers; when they weren't there, I politely asked about them. The only other thing we asked for on a 10 day cruise was some extra hangers, and the aforementioned reservation at Murano, so I hardly think I was out of line. . .

Of course, I was expecting something along the lines of a bouquet of flowers, not just a few stems, so it really wasn't worth it anyway, was it? :eek: back at ya'

On a Century cruise to Hawaii I had managed to get bumped up from a regular veranda to a sky suite on the top deck. Great cabin but had to pay extra gratuities for the butler. From reading the blurb, I thought having someone pack and unpack for me would be awesome. That was worth it.

Of course it didn't happen and we were among the last people on the ship to even get our luggage. He was absolutely no help with that.

I like a hot MDR breakfast, so I asked the butler to bring me a double espresso at 7:30 AM. First morning I get a latte at 8:00 and it's cold. Next morning I get nothing. Mind you, I am waiting to take this coffee with me to the MDR and I can't wait forever. That evening we have a little talk and finally I start getting my coffee on time, but it is still cold. It seems he has to go to deck 5 for the coffee and by the time he gets it to deck 12, it's cold.

All we asked for was a couple of fresh pears daily and a cheese plate, heavy on the brie. That was done properly.

Though we told him several times we were not interested in tea time or the snacks, we got a knock on the door anyway. Had to use the 'do not disturb' sign to get our privacy.

We decided to have a graduation party with two other couples after our hula and ukelele recitals on our huge veranda and gave the butler a list. It was his time off so the one he designated was half an hour late and didn't follow the list.

No one offered to help me pack. :(

I'm a do-it-myself gal. If I needed anything special the Captain's Club officer was always ready to assist as was the general concierge ande guest relations.

I don't need or want another butler, but I don't see it happening unless I'm, once again, touched by the upgrade fairy.:D

Also pictured is our "bouquet" in a Sky Suite. Very nice and perfectly sized for the table.

Hi,

I've been looking for a sky suite "bathroom" picture for our upcoming cruise. I juts wanted to see the cabinet storage in the bathroom. Could you please tell me on what ship you cruised? Looks like a M-class to me but...

Thank you,

Does anyone know how many staterooms a Butler is in charge of? It was almost like he was taking care of all the aft Sky Suites.

It varies but is approximately 11-13 suites. Usually their cabins are in the same hallway but sometimes their suites aren't even on the same deck. They can be on 3, maybe 4, different decks! Every few days they rotate w other butlers & are on call in the mid-day when the other butlers have a break. So they could be responsible for 30-40 suites for a few hours from about noon to 3PM!

Does anyone know how many staterooms a Butler is in charge of? It was almost like he was taking care of all the aft Sky Suites.

It's more than it used to be and shows. They work the butlers very hard and if there is any sickness or other cover required then they can be really pushed. I've had some very good butler experiences and some not so good. The last one who I had met on a previous cruise and was excellent then, but I hardly saw him on the next cruise. He was covering a lot of cabins and also I think had some demanding passengers in another suite. I definitely book a suite for the extra space and not the butler experience.

Phil

Our Butler, Ashwin was very nice and almost too professional.:rolleyes: We wished that he wouldn't have been so stiff. We rarely asked him for anything. When we did, he seemed very pleased to help us...almost like he was bored.

Most times that we saw him, he was standing in the hall between the elevators and stairs. Does anyone know how many staterooms a Butler is in charge of? It was almost like he was taking care of all the aft Sky Suites.

I have to say that we were a little creeped out to come in after a day in port to find that our Butler had been in the stateroom and left us a little plate of appetizers. I know he meant well, but we would prefer he not enter without us being there.

A funny story...One afternoon, we got off of the elevator and turned the corner in our hall to the stateroom. There he was...knocking on our door and at the same time opening it and saying "hello!" He had the afternoon appetizer cart. We responding a loud "hello" from the hall. He must have jumped a mile! :D

Another funny story...when we were in port one afternoon, we heard a little girl ask her mother what time it was. When the mother answered that it was after 4:00, the little girl started whining "Oh no!...we missed the appetizer man." :)

Not sure what a "welcome rose" is, but I put my rose from the Captain in a bathroom glass. Freshened up the bathroom all week. :D

The steward is in and out all day... Why can't the Butler come in if the steward can come in?

The steward isn't in and out all day for us. He comes in the morning when we go to breakfast and comes back when we leave for the evening shows. We have been on 26 cruises, and it's always been that way for us. Must be our schedule coincides with theirs. :) We have never known them to come in the stateroom at any other time.

Hi,

I've been looking for a sky suite "bathroom" picture for our upcoming cruise. I juts wanted to see the cabinet storage in the bathroom. Could you please tell me on what ship you cruised? Looks like a M-class to me but...

Thank you,

I'd be glad to, but we were on the Century. I am not positive, but I believe the Millie SS bathrooms would be tad larger and different looking. Could someone confirm?

Our bathroom had plenty of storage, and we did not use the under counter cabinet. It was stocked with towels and TP. Their was a corner glass/rail rack of shelves and then a large 4 shelf glass/rail storage area over the toilet.

It varies but is approximately 11-13 suites. Usually their cabins are in the same hallway but sometimes their suites aren't even on the same deck. They can be on 3, maybe 4, different decks! Every few days they rotate w other butlers & are on call in the mid-day when the other butlers have a break. So they could be responsible for 30-40 suites for a few hours from about noon to 3PM!

Thanks!

Edited by Iamthesea

I'm curious to know when and how often the butler pays you visits? I'd hate to be running around the suite in my underwear and suddenly get a knock on the door. I may hurt myself scrambling for some clothes to put on.

Can you just pick up the phone and call them at any time? I think I may feel weird summoning someone and asking them for things as I am usually quite independent.

I'm curious to know when and how often the butler pays you visits? I'd hate to be running around the suite in my underwear and suddenly get a knock on the door. I may hurt myself scrambling for some clothes to put on.

Can you just pick up the phone and call them at any time? I think I may feel weird summoning someone and asking them for things as I am usually quite independent.

Yes you can call. They will give you a private phone number that's a cordless they carry everywhere so will always get the call. Mine write on notepad by phone when they make introductions.

Just meet them and give them your schedule just like you said here. I'll call you when I need you. If you have a bedroom seperate from living, then you could say leave coffee at 6:30 without knocking but no need to com other than that. etc. Let him know whether to leave snacks if you're not there or just pass the room etc. I also used my DND sign when i wanted no interruptions.

Edited by cle-guy

We never had to call him because he was always outside our door, it seemed. :D

I did have to run and put on my bathrobe one day when the doorbell rang one afternoon. There was no one there, but one stateroom down, there was a tall man standing in front of that door. He looked at me and said "sorry, wrong door" . :mad: The Butler walked by at this time and looked in at me and then went to speak to the man in the hall, who by the way, was traveling with the passengers/parents from hell! They sure gave the Butler, stewards, and anyone else who had to come to their aid, an earful! :rolleyes:

BTW- The doorbells on the Century, sound just like the announcement bell. I realized after this doorbell interruption, that there was one earlier that I thought was going to be an announcement... that never was. It was my doorbell, and I had not answered. :D

Yes you can call. They will give you a private phone number that's a cordless they carry everywhere so will always get the call. Mine write on notepad by phone when they make introductions.

\

They don't answer the phone or return messages no matter who writes the numbers down. :(

They don't answer the phone or return messages no matter who writes the numbers down. :(

I read your previous posts and am sorry you did not have a good experience with your butler, but reading other posts you seem to be a statistical outlier.

I find it very hard to believe they would not answer the phone or return any messages.

Ok, you can count on standing in the middle of your doorway with onlookers gawking while you choose you tea sandwiches and cookies at 4pm-ish.

I have no idea why they seem to have to put a peg into the door to hold it open while you are in your robe to serve you at your doorway.

Just fix a plate of whatever or take the cart into your cabin to select the goodies and be done with it in privacy.

I read your previous posts and am sorry you did not have a good experience with your butler, but reading other posts you seem to be a statistical outlier.

I find it very hard to believe they would not answer the phone or return any messages.

What ever you say.

But if you are saying in some sort of covert/code lingo that suggests that I am a liar...then we'll have to have a different sort of discussion.

;)

Edited by MizDemeanor

What ever you say.

But if you are saying in some sort of covert/code lingo that suggests that I am a liar...then we'll have to have a different sort of discussion.

;)

What I said is pretty straightforward, you can interpret it however you like.

At any rate, judging from the number of times you have complained in this thread you seem to be one of "those" people, whose opinions should be taken with a grain of salt.

What I said is pretty straightforward, you can interpret it however you like.

At any rate, judging from the number of times you have complained in this thread you seem to be one of "those" people, whose opinions should be taken with a grain of salt.

You have no idea. No idea at all. :)

What ever you say.

;)

Nobody here is calling you a liar. It's just that you seem to determined to contradict anyone who reports a positive butler experience. Personally, I've had three butlers on X, and some did a better job than others. I've had a similar range of experiences with room stewards, on both RC and X. Sometimes you get someone who is great, and sometimes you don't. Sorry to hear that your experience(s) were less than perfect.

Edited by wwcruisers

Nobody here is calling you a liar. It's just that you seem to determined to contradict anyone who reports a positive butler experience. Personally, I've had three butlers on X, and some did a better job than others. I've had a similar range of experiences with room stewards, on both RC and X. Sometimes you get someone who is great, and sometimes you don't. Sorry to hear that your experience(s) were less than perfect.

I'm not new to cruising so lets set that as a fact right off. And I'm not new to Suites so lets get that out of the way as well.

If you want to be a cheerleader for all great things suites including no Butler defamation than that's your position.

Butlers are there to do a job, THEIR JOB, not just be a static part of the more expensive real estate.

If you guys want to accept that dumbed down approach to Customer Service, that BTW is built into Auto-Tips with Celebrity, then go ahead.

If on a cruise they say the Real Esate comes with a Butler, then give me the Butler too.

I'm buying the high rent district and the service combined. If you guys are OK to settle and compromise with a less than approach, then don't bash me for not being a follower of that shortfall idea for what ever yada-yada-yada idea comes to your mind.

:)

Edited by MizDemeanor

I'm not new to cruising so lets set that as a fact right off. And I'm not new to Suites so lets get that out of the way as well.

If you want to be a cheerleader for all great things suites including no Butler defamation than that's your position.

Butlers are there to do a job, THEIR JOB, not just be a static part of the more expensive real estate.

If you guys want to accept that dumbed down approach to Customer Service, that BTW is built into Auto-Tips with Celebrity, then go ahead.

If on a cruise they say the Real Esate comes with a Butler, then give me the Butler too.

I'm buying the high rent district and the service combined. If you guys are OK to settle and compromise with a less than approach, then don't bash me for not being a follower of that shortfall idea for what ever yada-yada-yada idea comes to your mind.

:)

Calm down, take a breath. We heard your opinions and even stated we were sorry you had a bad experience. Move on.

It's your incessant arguing and complaining that really reveals what type of personality you have and discredits anything you have to say.

Calm down, take a breath. We heard your opinions and even stated we were sorry you had a bad experience. Move on.

It's your incessant arguing and complaining that really reveals what type of personality you have and discredits anything you have to say.

No, it just doen't go with YOUR flow. There have been many, many others who have posted here both in favor and not in favor of, and you seem to want to target me for your disagreement with the unfavorable part. I'd suggest you lay-off at this point.:)

And BTW its not one experiece its three in a row, and I'm sorry if your beloved Celebrity is not being shone in its most favorable light. I'll bet I've been cruising this line longer than you have and the disappointment is entirely mine.

No, it just doen't go with YOUR flow. There have been many, many others who have posted here both in favor and not in favor of, and you seem to want to target me for your disagreement with the unfavorable part. I'd suggest you lay-off at this point.:)

And BTW its not one experiece its three in a row, and I'm sorry if your beloved Celebrity is not being shone in its most favorable light. I'll bet I've been cruising this line longer than you have and the disappointment is entirely mine.

Like it says in my countdown clock, I've never been on a cruise before.

I have however been familiar with the Internet since the early 90's and I know how to tell whether people have a chip on their shoulder. Nowadays we call them trolls. I don't feed the trolls so I will lay off, but not because you told me to. :cool:

Just meet them and give them your schedule just like you said here. I'll call you when I need you. If you have a bedroom seperate from living, then you could say leave coffee at 6:30 without knocking but no need to com other than that. etc. Let him know whether to leave snacks if you're not there or just pass the room etc. I also used my DND sign when i wanted no interruptions.

Same here. Each time that we called he answered the phone. I had no issues with our butler. He did not blow me away but he did what was asked.

They were not good, but I do not think that I need to leave a laundy list of verifiable expereinces to suit others to authenticate my ideas that Butlers on Celebrity are Overrated.

I think that's where this started out....

Now if you want to make a topic about cabins, ships, amenities., food...that's another story. :)

This one was about Butler Stories.

Mine not so good at all...:o

Edited by MizDemeanor

They were not good, but I do not think that I need to leave a laundy list of verifiable expereinces to suit others to authenticate my ideas that Butlers on Celebrity are Overrated.

I think that's where this started out....

Now if you want to make a topic about cabins, ships, amenities., food...that's another story. :)

This one was about Butler Stories.

Mine not so good at all...:o

Just to clarify: You have stayed in a Celebrity Suite three times with a butler and none of your butlers ever returned you calls? You are certainly implying that none of your butlers have ever answered your calls or returned your numerous messages? Not calling you a liar, but that is certainly a very negative experience and is certainly hard to imagine. Boy have you had some bad luck.