Please give tips/suggestions for packing light for italy trains etc

Kidsoftheseas

we are taking a train from Rome to Venice prior to our cruise and in an earlier post I had asked for tips, especially with all the luggage since there isn't a ton of compartment space on the train and such.

I definitely planned on packing light and re-using clothes and such, but we found out that our cruise ship (NLC Spirit) has no self-service laundry at all!! In the past we did laundry on many ships we sailed on, so now thinking about a 12 day cruise and time both before and after and touring around all day, AND also having two kids who would be liable to need clothing changes, its becoming quite a dilemma how to pack for this and still be "light" in our packing!!

So not sure where to categorize this post, because it has to do specifically with packing light for a trip in Europe. We are especially concerned about moving around luggage in Italy and such.

Any help from the experts on tips you practice in order to avoid taking too much? Especially since we likely will not be able to do laundry during the trip now?

This is not so much a packing tip as just something to think about when taking luggage in a train. We have done several Italian trains with day long trips where the luggage is not kept in a sleeping compartment area. So we heard about thieves stealing bags and carry on bags from racks and storage areas on train cars. So we bought an inexpensive bicycle cable lock before we left home. Then we used the cable to lock all our luggage together. While nothing is fool proof, at least it made it harder for a thief to grab one bag and run. We never lost a bag that way.

Take only dark bottoms that can be worn multi times. For kids, lots of light cotton shirts. You can wash thin cotton shirts by hand and they dry in 2 days in shower. Pack in 2 suitcases a bit bigger than carry ons and backpack or large tote bag for each adult and kids each rolling carry ons and a backpack.

Just because the ship doesn't have a self-service laundromat doesn't mean you can't get clothes washed. Ask on the NCL board if they have any "bag of laundry" specials. Some lines do this -- you get a bag and you can get as many clothes as you can stuff into it washed for a flat fee.

Ideas for packing light:

1. Limit the number of shoes you bring -- shoes are very heavy. If possible, wear one of your heavier pairs for walking and bring only one other pair for dressier occasions. (I usually cheat and bring 3 pairs because I'm very concerned about having 2 good pairs of walking shoes.)
  2. On NCL, you won't need to bring a lot of dressy clothes, so take advantage of that and leave them at home.
  3. Do NOT pack jeans -- Look for some lightweight pants and/or shorts made out of breathable synthetic material that wears well and dries overnight when handwashed. Most sporting goods stores carry good options. A good idea is to get at least one pair of the "zip off" pants for guys -- you are not allowed to wear shorts into some churches and mosques, and this gives you flexibility.
  4. Limit extras and multiples -- Bring one bathing suit per person. Minimize jewelry. Leave your blowdryer home and use the one onboard ship. Don't bring large, heavy bottles of shampoo, etc.
  5. Limit books and electronic gadgets. If you can bring one charger that works for several items, great.

This should be a good start, anyway.

Those are all good suggestions. I evaluate everything I bring on a weight vs. need basis. For our upcoming cruise, I was thinking of bringing an evening purse. I picked it up the other day and decided it was too heavy; it's not coming.

We usually travel on Celebrity that also does not have laundry; we do use the ship's laundry service once or twice for things we really need.

We also rewear pants unless they are soiled or until they get soiled. I do a lot of mix and match. I bring one pair of dressy black pants and one pair of white, and maybe 5-6 dressy tops, and those work for most dinners. I bring one pair of dressy black sandals and wear them every night. Celebrity does have formal nights and I have found two outfits that each fit into a gallon ziplock bag; I press all the air out and I end up with a tiny package.

I roll all my pants up tightly and put them all into a plastic grocery bag; squeeze tightly and tie off the bag. Another one each for long and short sleeved shirts. You will be amazed at how much you can fit in a 24" suitcase that way--I never believed it til I tried it!

After having traveled on trains and in rental cars with large suitcases, I can't tell you how liberating it is not to be overly encumbered. You just have to be really strict with yourself about what you REALLY need!!!

I've come to the point over the last few years that I'll pay pretty much whatever the ship charges for laundry, because it's worth it to me to lighten my load. When staying in town for two or more nights, I've also taken advantage of wash and fold services at local laundromats.

This is not so much a packing tip as just something to think about when taking luggage in a train. We have done several Italian trains with day long trips where the luggage is not kept in a sleeping compartment area. So we heard about thieves stealing bags and carry on bags from racks and storage areas on train cars. So we bought an inexpensive bicycle cable lock before we left home. Then we used the cable to lock all our luggage together. While nothing is fool proof, at least it made it harder for a thief to grab one bag and run. We never lost a bag that way.

I agree with this..we have traveled by train with a large suitcase or twp and a couple of carry ons as well as smaller suitcase and carry ons...we were able to keep smaller bags overhead where we sat and used a cable lock to secure bags in the area near the door so if someone tried to grab them they were chained to the posts as well...good luck with that I said. We did go first class and the luggage area seemed a tad larger I thought.Also we have set aside the money to have laundry done on board ship if needed and never looked back on that one.Worth every penny.

I'm not sure how many people on this board regularly cruise Celebrity, but "Elite" status is easy to attain, and one of the big benefits is that we each get a coupon for thirty pieces of laundry, plus several dry cleaning and pressing coupons.

We just returned from a funeral 1000 miles away, a long car trip. DH's black suit was a crumpled mess. We will pack it as is, and the first day will send it out for dry cleaning (suit=1 item) so it will be back in time for first formal night, looking great.

(We also get free internet minutes, a free nightly cocktail party or three vouchers each for drinks, and a breakfast buffet with mimosas, bloody marys and cappuccinos. Not bad for taking just 4 =X= cruises!)

Just because the ship doesn't have a self-service laundromat doesn't mean you can't get clothes washed. Ask on the NCL board if they have any "bag of laundry" specials. Some lines do this -- you get a bag and you can get as many clothes as you can stuff into it washed for a flat fee.

Mom is of course right again...on NC....ahem, Norwegian, there are typically two offerings of the "stuff the bag" laundry special. The charge is usually $24.99 which seems expensive until you compare it to the hassle of dealing with an extra suitcase...or the airlines charge if you have to pay for a second bag. For our upcoming 16 day Italian Land Tour/Jade Cruise, DDP and I are planning on taking two bags. One for the land portion and one for the cruise. We will split our clothes up between them - this serves two purposes. 1. If one of our bags ends up in Valpariso instead of Venice, we will at least both have some clothes. 2.We don't have to open the "ship" bag until we are aboard ship...just tote it around with us. Since our cruise is only seven days, we will probably not take advantage of the bag deal, instead, we hope to do a load of clothes during our three day stay in Rome precruise. We are hoping that we will be able to go in our roll-aboards but I suspect we will end up with our rolling medium sized bags...should know next weekend when we do our "practice" pack.

Only carry what each person can easily handle. By that I mean lift up to the train platform, carry or roll along cobblestones, lift up a flight of stairs etc. If your children cannot carry luggage, then that means you have to share a suitcase with your child.

We have a rule....if you pack it you carry it. The rule works.

Never get lumbered with more than one medium suitcase that is not overpacked and splitting the seams...smaller is better. Forget those garment bags...you don't need them and they can be cumbersome on a train. Try and make do with one small carry on between two people. Like others have said, leave the shoes and the electronics at home. We take two pair of shoes max, including the ones on our feet. We select comfort over style since we do a great deal of walking when we are in cities. Our cell stays at home. Only one Ipad travels with us.

Years of travel have taught us that the less we bring, the more we enjoy the trip....especially in Italy and especially on trains and ferries.

If you take half the luggage and twice the money all should be fine. Enjoy.

The 24" bag is a good one for long trips. It really is amazing what I can fit in those extra 2" of bag from my 22" roller.

Unless you are someone who can't stand to re-wear clothes, packing light is pretty easy. Think of little things - do you really need to pack a pair of underwear and socks for each day? They are easy to do and line dry. Do you really need 3 pairs of shoes? Do you need specific toiletries or can you pick up some at your first destination? Do you need to take all that makeup? For your camera - is it a DSLR? If it is, look at spending some money for a 15-200mm lens. It's a wonderful all-around travel lens and you won't have to take any others. Unless you absolutely need that laptop, leave it at home. Just take lots of memory cards for your camera. you can look at your photos on your camera - no need to port them right away. Most of the things you want to have access to on vacation can be found on your smartphone or a tablet (or even a Kindle Fire HD).

We are taking our first Med cruise in April on the Epic...We are taking train rt from Paris to Marseille...Limiting luggage to 2 carryon size (we are checking them on the air flight)...Found a 21inch that has a backpack that is zippered to the top of bag...great for extra space...I have already pulled out the clothes and did a dry run on packing...got a lot of clothes in each bag...more than enough for 10 days in Europe...4 pairs of womens slacks, bathing suit and cover up, about 6 or 7 tops, 2 pairs of shorts, sweater and 2 pairs of shoes...NCL is casual so no dress clothes required or men's jackets...Husband traveling in jeans and packing 2 pairs of Dockers...Do a dry run you will be surprised

Slidergirl...this is why we always pack old wornout clothes which we can leave behind if we need more room in the luggage! We also have a small foldup bag that easily fits in the front zipper pocket, "just in case".

Slidergirl...this is why we always pack old wornout clothes which we can leave behind if we need more room in the luggage! We also have a small foldup bag that easily fits in the front zipper pocket, "just in case".

I've got a nice foldup bag also. But, if they are doing train, they may want to try to not have to use that bag.

I did the old clothes thing on a trip to Kenya. I left behind some pants and a rain coat and Tshirts. I don't have anything worn out enough that I'd want to leave behind for this trip. I've only got one train leg now on this trip towards the end, so I might bring the foldup with me.

Wearing old clothes on a hiking or treking trip or a safari is one thing, but when visiting the cultural centers of Europe? I'm no fashionista, but whenever I read about people saving their old, ready to be thrown away clothing to wear on a trip I can't help but think of David Sedaris on This American Life saying "Comfort has its place, but it seems rude to visit another country dressed as if you've come to mow its lawns." (He was ragging on an American couple on the Paris metro.)

I also bring clothes to wear and get rid of on cruises, however, my clothes are not in bad shape or outdated. They are just clothes that I don't seem to wear often for whatever reason. Most of us have closets full of nice clothes but we seem to gravitate to the same garments. I find it easier to get rid of clothes that are in great condition using this approach rather than putting them in a bag to donate.

That's certainly true in my case, D4. I've got things that I've kept (and occasionally wear) for more than 20 years. Now you've got me thinking, maybe this is how I can edit my closet ... via travel.

(Thanks for the explanation, maybe because of the Sedaris quote I always picture people in beat up, threadbare things when this subject comes up.)

Oh - that raincoat I left in Kenya: when I got to London on my layover, I realized I forgot to pack my coat and it was predicted to rain some of the days. I took a train into the next town and found a sporting goods store. I bought a rain shell. At the end of my trip, I left it for the camp workers. I have a bunch of shells at home and certainly didn't need another one. The pants - I caught them on something and got a small tear in them on a leg. I wouldn't wear them again , but I think someone there could use them when working.

I wouldn't bring clothes that looked like they were on their last legs on a trip. I do want to look semi-presentable :-)

My DH and I love the train, and have been lucky not to run in to thieves, except training to Versailles with our bikes. My DH was helping others and left his backpack on the train. Thank goodness we had insurance. This May, we are traveling by train from Lucerne to Venice with two large rolling suitcases and our two backpacks. We also plan to lock our suitcases together, especially in Italy. Don't want to tempt anyone as we are in our 60's now. We always make sure that we are in great shape(cardio, weights, gym) beforehand as you can't be too careful. That may sound silly to some, but it does make a big difference!:)

Packing cubes!

I swear by them, go to ebags dot com and check them out. You can also search YouTube for videos using them.

My son went to Denmark for 11 days with a 24" bag.

You roll things up, put them in the cubes and pack them into every nook & cranny of the suitcase.

Also agree with the mix and match on the clothes and taking advantage of the laundry even if its not self serve.

Ideas for packing light:

1. Limit the number of shoes you bring -- shoes are very heavy. If possible, wear one of your heavier pairs for walking and bring only one other pair for dressier occasions. (I usually cheat and bring 3 pairs because I'm very concerned about having 2 good pairs of walking shoes.)
  2. On NCL, you won't need to bring a lot of dressy clothes, so take advantage of that and leave them at home.
  3. Do NOT pack jeans -- Look for some lightweight pants and/or shorts made out of breathable synthetic material that wears well and dries overnight when handwashed. Most sporting goods stores carry good options. A good idea is to get at least one pair of the "zip off" pants for guys -- you are not allowed to wear shorts into some churches and mosques, and this gives you flexibility.
  4. Limit extras and multiples -- Bring one bathing suit per person. Minimize jewelry. Leave your blowdryer home and use the one onboard ship. Don't bring large, heavy bottles of shampoo, etc.
  5. Limit books and electronic gadgets. If you can bring one charger that works for several items, great.

This should be a good start, anyway.

Hi,

Our problem is that we weren't packing specifically for touring/train in Europe. We've been in Puerto Rico for winter, will cruise to South hampton (train to Gatwick) & then flying to Rome (cruise on May 11th (then train to Rome airport for home). Kinda over packed at this point but will try to leave stuff behind here.

My question is this: We'll be travelling with two 29" suitcases, two laptops, purse, possibly two carryon bags. Are we going to be able to manage this on a train?

Thanks!

NJ :)

We'll be travelling with two 29" suitcases, two laptops, purse, possibly two carryon bags. Are we going to be able to manage this on a train?

I travel by train all the time, and have done it with the family and a boatload of luggage, but I think you'd be better off with a car service. You'll have a sense of how difficult it will be after your train in the UK, if you get along okay there maybe it will work out okay.

Hi,

Our problem is that we weren't packing specifically for touring/train in Europe. We've been in Puerto Rico for winter, will cruise to South hampton (train to Gatwick) & then flying to Rome (cruise on May 11th (then train to Rome airport for home). Kinda over packed at this point but will try to leave stuff behind here.

My question is this: We'll be travelling with two 29" suitcases, two laptops, purse, possibly two carryon bags. Are we going to be able to manage this on a train?

Thanks!

NJ :)

I'll confess: back in 2003, I did a 3 week trip through Europe via train in the middle of winter. I used my huge 36x16 roller duffle (ski stuff and business stuff) and a backpack. It was a PIA, but I did it.

Can you possibly put the laptops in the carryons? Can you put the purse in the carryon? If you have to empty it and put the contents in the nooks and crannies of the carryon, do it. Only having one big bag and a carryon will work.

Archived