Would you choose the HAL Penthouse??

localady

CC has a current article about the top Penthouses at sea. I was very surprised that other than Cunard, which was higher, HAL's listed per Penthouse price (for Penthouses on the Vista and Signature class) was listed at appx. $2900 per night per person, almost double or triple the prices for other main stream cruise lines. The less expensive penthouses listed included "luxury" lines like RSSC, Silverseas and Crystal. :eek:

I think HAL's Penthouses are amazing, but I was surprised at the per day prices.

Does this surprise anyone else??

CC has a current article about the top Penthouses at sea. I was very surprised that other than Cunard, which was higher, HAL's listed per Penthouse price (for Penthouses on the Vista and Signature class) was listed at appx. $2900 per night per person, almost double or triple the prices for other main stream cruise lines. The less expensive penthouses listed included "luxury" lines like RSSC, Silverseas and Crystal. :eek:

I think HAL's Penthouses are amazing, but I was surprised at the per day prices.

What cruise do you see this price? On my upcoming cruise on the Zuiderdam for the 7-night cruise, the per day rate is $671 per person for the PH.

On our 11-day Noordam cruise for January 2014, the per day rate is $618 per person. I can't imagine a $2,900 per day rate for the PH.

Both of these ships are the Vista class.

We pay in the range of $500 - $600 pp per day (it varies somewhat each year) for our "S" cabin on Maasdam for Canada/New England cruise.....

Thus, the stated fares for particular sailings in a "PS" are not shocking.

The same cabin on the same ship on a different itinerary costs something less but is still no 'bargain' if one doesn't get a low cost upsell or free upgrade.

What cruise do you see this price? On my upcoming cruise on the Zuiderdam for the 7-night cruise, the per day rate is $671 per person for the PH.

On our 11-day Noordam cruise for January 2014, the per day rate is $618 per person. I can't imagine a $2,900 per day rate for the PH.

Both of these ships are the Vista class.

This was the quoted price on the Cruise Critic article that looked at their 13 favorite penthouses at sea. I just took the price as was quoted by the CC article. (To read it go to main CC page.)

The quoted price seemed high to me too.

Here is the article: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=131

Most of us are quite happy to cruise several times in other cabins for the same cost as cruising once in a penthouse suite. At the end of the day it is just a bigger room with a lot of glitter.

We once stayed in a $1500 per night deluxe hotel suite, which is not something that we would ever pay for ourselves. The maids would stop and press themselves against the wall when we walked by. Seriously, it didn't really turn us on.

igraf

Most of us are quite happy to cruise several times in other cabins for the same cost as cruising once in a penthouse suite. At the end of the day it is just a bigger room with a lot of glitter.

We once stayed in a $1500 per night deluxe hotel suite, which is not something that we would ever pay for ourselves. The maids would stop and press themselves against the wall when we walked by. Seriously, it didn't really turn us on.

igraf

I just thought it was interesting that HAL was quoted as a much higher rate than Celebrity or other "comparable" penthouses.

I understand that everyone is different and we all have our cruising style. If I had unlimited finances, I'd sure give it a go, at least once!

I just thought it was interesting that HAL was quoted as a much higher rate than Celebrity or other "comparable" penthouses.

I understand that everyone is different and we all have our cruising style. If I had unlimited finances, I'd sure give it a go, at least once!

Most HA PH's have a large hot tub on the balcony, for $500-$800 a night in the Caribbean its a good value.

This was the quoted price on the Cruise Critic article that looked at their 13 favorite penthouses at sea. I just took the price as was quoted by the CC article. (To read it go to main CC page.)

The quoted price seemed high to me too.

Here is the article: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=131

I wonder whole proof read this Cruise Critic article, I see lots of extremely WRONG information and not just pricing. Even some of the pictures shown, such as the one for NCL. The article was really bad and all I can say is WOW.

Definitely not correct information for HAL's PH :rolleyes: With out checking I would be suspect to everything written here.

Most HA PH's have a large hot tub on the balcony, for $500-$800 a night in the Caribbean its a good value.

Prices quoted are per person, per night.

The "PS" hot tubs on the balcony are on the Vista and Signature ships. The "S" and "R" Class ships do not have the verandah hot tubs.

I wouldn't spend that much to sail in a HAL penthouse. But I'm just happy to get on a cruise ship. Even the $800 per person per day figure is more than we paid for a balcony for a week on our December cruise on the Westerdam.

I wonder whole proof read this Cruise Critic article, I see lots of extremely WRONG information and not just pricing. Even some of the pictures shown, such as the one for NCL. The article was really bad and all I can say is WOW.

Definitely not correct information for HAL's PH :rolleyes: With out checking I would be suspect to everything written here.

I wondered if there had been any input from the cruise lines. The prices given seemed all over the board. To bad CC would publish less than accurate information. :rolleyes:

Note to CC Admin: You need an investigative reporter regarding the real lowdown on the penthouses currently available at sea, and I'd be happy to write a very accurate article. All I ask is that you cover the expense account, I'll do the "work" for free! :)

I don't know but that sounds a little over price to me. I know the PH are usually twice the price of an S, or SA but that listed price is a little bit ridiculous. Heck all you get is a bigger cabin, no butler service, etc. I think Lisa has it right, there are alot of errors in this article.

HAL needs to offer the PH guests a more significant point of differentiation. Other than a larger and more elegant suite (and perhaps more attention), the guests in the PH have no additional benefits than those in the Neptune Suites.

......................Note to CC Admin: You need an investigative reporter regarding the real lowdown on the penthouses currently available at sea, and I'd be happy to write a very accurate article. All I ask is that you cover the expense account, I'll do the "work" for free! :)

That's how 2nd careers are launched!;)

It all depends on vocabulary on WHAT constitutes a PS or even a full suite on whichever line; On HAL the PS are most -full apartments - I know on Cunard they are simply veranda suites with a Butler!. On HAL full suites are twice the size of PS on other lines. Be careful WHAT you are comparing [ that's PROBABLY why prices vary]

It all depends on vocabulary on WHAT constitutes a PS or even a full suite on whichever line; On HAL the PS are most -full apartments - I know on Cunard they are simply veranda suites with a Butler!. On HAL full suites are twice the size of PS on other lines. Be careful WHAT you are comparing [ that's PROBABLY why prices vary]

Before I read the article that was what I was speculating but that is not the case they basically compared the various cruise lines highest category NOT what each line calls a Penthouse but so much of the information was wrong including sq footage on some, lots of very bad information.

It all depends on the itinerary.

We have been able to get some good prices on the Pinnacle Suites.

I read that article. Someone sure does need to check their information.

I'm glad someone is getting good prices for "S" and "PS" We sure aren't. :D

We've been in "PS" and certainly enjoyed it but there are things I prefer about the "S" than the "PS"..... I missed the vanity/dressing table with sink for one thing.

I prefer the Pinnacle Suites on Vistas/Signature to the "PS" on "S" ships.

Archived