Filthy Oceanview Bar on the Eclipse

bobnjeff

Off topic for this thread, but on topic for your post, if there is something you'd like at the buffet but don't see it then be sure to ask the person manning the serving station where you'd expect to find it - especially if it is something you've seen on prior cruises. Sometimes they have the item available and can quickly get it for you but don't have it out for some reason. It never hurts to ask and if the person you ask stares at you with a "deer in the headlight" look, then try asking someone else as a few of the staff in the buffet are new, inexperianced and/or have poor English skills.

Thanks for your reply. I am sure I did ask. Got nowhere.

Also about the outdoor tables. Now I remember asking someone to clean it and I ended up cleaning it myself. Told one of the crew who didn't seem to care. I had forgotten about that!

Pet Peeve: Cruisers who read or play games at outdoor tables during lunch hours.

Back to not complaining to any Celebrity crew about the messy tables at the Ocean View Bar. Where was the supervisor? I can't believe well-trained personnel would need to be told by passengers that an entire area of the ship was in disarray. Even the waiters should be able to recognize when table tops are dirty.

Because we were there late in the evening I told myself that the tables would be cleaned during the night. I figured that they were dirty again every evening because of their use all day long.

The OP's post has shown me that the tables never were cleaned at any time during the cruise. Why such neglect? Whenever we ate inside the Ocean View Buffet, I saw plenty of supervisors strutting around giving orders to white-shirted servers. I have no idea who was assigned to the exterior bar area of the Ocean View buffet.

Hubby was a a factory manager for many years. He used to talk about "factory blindess." You see the same thing day afterday and eventually you become blind to issues that someone new to the factory might see right away. I wonder if "factory blindness" is at work for the crew at the Ocean View Bar.

it's "not my job" itis........without proper management focus, everyone does their job and doesn't get involved with something that isn't their job. As I said in an earlier post in this thread, this is a management issue on that ship....and apparently management also has what someone has called "factory blindness".

Sad...

Back to not complaining to any Celebrity crew about the messy tables at the Ocean View Bar. Where was the supervisor? I can't believe well-trained personnel would need to be told by passengers that an entire area of the ship was in disarray....

I agree 100% that the situation should never happen, but for whatever reason it was - according to the OP's report.

The fact that someone shouldn't have to complain is no reason to either suffer through the problem, or be forced to go without the benefit of the area, when a properly lodged complaint would probably improve things. If you checked into your stateroom on embarkation day and found it hadn't been cleaned would you just live with it or would you complain and insist it was fixed immediately? This hasn't happened to us on the ship, although I've read of a couple isolated instances where it occured, but it has happened in hotels and we've gotten the situation corrected immediately. Why would similar neglect in one's preferred public area of the ship be any different.

There may be some things you don't like on the ship that a complaint won't fix, such as loud music in an area, but I guarantee you that neglect in cleaning tables in a given area isn't something that the ship's management is doing intentionally and would be receive management attention after a complaint or two.

I sat down at a table at about 10:30 am......I continued to stay there until nearly 1pm.

One shouldn't have to go a manager to complain about something so simple as keeping an area clean.

I think it's safe to say that everyone agrees that:

-the staff should keep the area clean

-the pax should not have to do the staff's job for them

-the pax should not have to hunt down a manager to properly supervise the staff

-the OP is justifiably disappointed in the level of service he observed.

But, having said that, the situation is (was) what it is. And given that situation, or any negative situation, one has to ask themselves this question: What will turn this less than ideal situation into a more pleasant one for me? The OP chose to sit there for 2 1/2 hours, stewing over the fact that the staff wasn't doing their job. To me, it comes across as a battle of wills... "by God I'm going to sit here all day if necessary, just so I can see how long it takes them to clean the tables." While it isn't the OP's job to find a manager to come supervise the staff that should be bussing the tables, wouldn't that be both a faster solution than waiting literally hours to see if they are going to do it on their own? And wouldn't that (hopefully) get the situation resolved so that he could enjoy his time there in a clean, pleasant atmosphere?

Either option involves the OP doing something he shouldn't have to do. He chose to sit in an unclean environment for 2 1/2 hours, which he shouldn't have to do. I would have chosen to either leave and find another venue (which I shouldn't have to do) or find a manager (which I shouldn't have to do either.)

I think it's safe to say that everyone agrees that:

-the staff should keep the area clean

-the pax should not have to do the staff's job for them

-the pax should not have to hunt down a manager to properly supervise the staff

-the OP is justifiably disappointed in the level of service he observed.

But, having said that, the situation is (was) what it is. And given that situation, or any negative situation, one has to ask themselves this question: What will turn this less than ideal situation into a more pleasant one for me? The OP chose to sit there for 2 1/2 hours, stewing over the fact that the staff wasn't doing their job. To me, it comes across as a battle of wills... "by God I'm going to sit here all day if necessary, just so I can see how long it takes them to clean the tables." While it isn't the OP's job to find a manager to come supervise the staff that should be bussing the tables, wouldn't that be both a faster solution than waiting literally hours to see if they are going to do it on their own? And wouldn't that (hopefully) get the situation resolved so that he could enjoy his time there in a clean, pleasant atmosphere?

Either option involves the OP doing something he shouldn't have to do. He chose to sit in an unclean environment for 2 1/2 hours, which he shouldn't have to do. I would have chosen to either leave and find another venue (which I shouldn't have to do) or find a manager (which I shouldn't have to do either.)

Not to make light of it, but my warped mind suggests that this could actually be a new event on the daily schedule: watch to see if the crew does it's job. Sort of a celebrity version of watching grass grow.....

Not to make light of it, but my warped mind suggests that this could actually be a new event on the daily schedule: watch to see if the crew does it's job. Sort of a celebrity version of watching grass grow.....

Sorry but I won't be able to make that event: I'll be busy watching the napkin folding demonstration!

Pet Peeve: Cruisers who read or play games at outdoor tables during lunch hours.

It might not be their lunch time.

It may not be their lunch time but they are tables designated for dining. Therefore, they should move to an area that is not needed for meals.

I just returned from the March 23rd sailing on the Eclipse. One area I noticed that was not nearly up to the usual Celebrity standards was the Ocean View Bar. This area is common on most Celebrity ships and is my favorite area in the morning and at lunch. Unlike on all of my previous sailings on Celebrity this area was very poorly maintained. Why I am not sure as the inside dining area was very well maintained. The last afternoon on the ship is just a small example of what I saw occur in this area. I sat down at a table at about 10:30 am with drinks from inside. It was filthy, but as other tables in the area were also dirty and covered with used dishes I assumed a waiter would come by and clean it. But after over 45 minutes passed and many, many waiters and manager passed by and left everything as it was when I arrived I finally got up went to the mens room got towels and washed it my self. I continued to stay there until nearly 1pm. Dozens of waiters would come and go and rarely pick up a dirty dish here and there but never, never wipe a table. The cushion covers looked like they had never been cleaned since they were first put on. The teak tables, a bad choice to begin with with all of their cracks were not only filthy on the surface but all the way thru.

This was the one and only poorly maintained area on a truly spotless ship. Why, as I said I do not know. The floor in the mens room was cleaner. There was a person stationed there to keep it that way. Why no one seemed to keep this very important food area clean is beyond me. I hope that someone at Celebrity will read this and see to it soon. Before it leads to health problems.

Subject of this thread caught my attention because we're just off the Eclipse and we all noticed the same situation at its Oceanview Bar. The ship was spotless elsewhere.

Very strange.

Subject of this thread caught my attention because we're just off the Eclipse and we all noticed the same situation at its Oceanview Bar. The ship was spotless elsewhere.

Very strange.

Did you report it to anyone or make note on the comment card?

Did you report it to anyone or make note on the comment card?

Don't answer that:eek:! - Just kidding. I do see those of us on Cruise Critic, as well as all other passengers, as serving a "It takes a village..." role. I have to believe that each of us has experienced a better cruise thanks to those who have gone before - and have given valuable feedback to the industry.

Yes, I would like you all to get the Oceanview Bar in good shape for me before I cruise, but , having said that, some people are just not comfortable complaining(DH:rolleyes:.)

I just returned from the March 23rd sailing on the Eclipse. One area I noticed that was not nearly up to the usual Celebrity standards was the Ocean View Bar. This area is common on most Celebrity ships and is my favorite area in the morning and at lunch. Unlike on all of my previous sailings on Celebrity this area was very poorly maintained. Why I am not sure as the inside dining area was very well maintained. The last afternoon on the ship is just a small example of what I saw occur in this area. I sat down at a table at about 10:30 am with drinks from inside. It was filthy, but as other tables in the area were also dirty and covered with used dishes I assumed a waiter would come by and clean it. But after over 45 minutes passed and many, many waiters and manager passed by and left everything as it was when I arrived I finally got up went to the mens room got towels and washed it my self. I continued to stay there until nearly 1pm. Dozens of waiters would come and go and rarely pick up a dirty dish here and there but never, never wipe a table. The cushion covers looked like they had never been cleaned since they were first put on. The teak tables, a bad choice to begin with with all of their cracks were not only filthy on the surface but all the way thru.

This was the one and only poorly maintained area on a truly spotless ship. Why, as I said I do not know. The floor in the mens room was cleaner. There was a person stationed there to keep it that way. Why no one seemed to keep this very important food area clean is beyond me. I hope that someone at Celebrity will read this and see to it soon. Before it leads to health problems.

"Ask and Ye shall receive." True, you shouldn't have had to but......Anytime we have needed a table, they cleaned it promptly when asked to do so. Sorry this happened because usually Eclipse is spotless..

Do you think that the problem may be that it is a bar and not meant to be a eating area. They may not have anyone designated to that area because of what it is and if they did clean off the dishes it would promote it as being a eating area.

If that is the issue than they should put up signs saying "No Eating" and they may have but people either ignored or removed them as I have seen happen with other signage.

We were in the Aqua Spa Cafe and there are signs on the table to eat and leave during dining hours as a courtesy to others needing a table. There were a group of 4 that removed the sign, menu and salt and pepper shakers and played cards. The manager asked them to leave as there were people looking for a table. One of the women asked "what if we are eating?" and the manager said that the table are for people eating. The woman when to the counter and picked up some bread sticks, put the plate on the table and they continued playing cards.

They need to change the rule and say no game playing during Cafe hours.

We were in the Aqua Spa Cafe and there are signs on the table to eat and leave during dining hours as a courtesy to others needing a table. There were a group of 4 that removed the sign, menu and salt and pepper shakers and played cards. The manager asked them to leave as there were people looking for a table. One of the women asked "what if we are eating?" and the manager said that the table are for people eating. The woman when to the counter and picked up some bread sticks, put the plate on the table and they continued playing cards.

They need to change the rule and say no game playing during Cafe hours.

The problem is that there are people on cruises that just don't care about anyone else...and they think that's OK. You can't solve that with signs and even when confronted, they have the audacity to push back.

I really despise these types of folks....and I'd bet that most everyone here does as well...but there's nothing we or celebrity can do about them.

I'd support a waiter physically lifting the table and moving it...and leave them sitting with no table. I would also support other things, but they are not legal, even on the high seas.

After reading of the failure to achive the propper points in their last inspection Summit as well a Century and then the report of the filthy area on Eclipse I am very concerned that X- standard begin to slip! ?

I agree when I am on vacation it is absolutly not my job to superwise the cleaning of the dinning area!

We all should be aware by now that a real " Critic" about X around these X board is often not very welcome!

Maybe it´s time to create a new board- the Cruise Praise Board- where no critic at all would be allowed! LOL! :D

I agree when I am on vacation it is absolutly not my job to superwise the cleaning of the dinning area!

The fact that "I'm on vacation" or "not my job to supervise" is not really the issue here, in my opinion. If there's a persistent problem on your 14-day cruise, and you fail to report it so the responsible personnel can take corrective action, don't come on cruise critic to whine about it. :rolleyes:

If someone is smoking on an adjacent balcony and you don't report it, don't come on cruise critic and whine about it. If you report it and no action has been taken, then I would think it would be noteworthy.

You should have called it to the attention of the manager who passed by. Things that need to be corrected need to be corrected on the spot, not by posting a complaint to Cruise Critic.

I agree with Happy Cruiser. You should have complained to the manager about dirty tables and asked to have the situation corrected immediately and to keep the area clean. I would have gone one step further and would have called Celebrity when I returned home and registered my complaint with them as well. As a guest on the ship you have a right to expect that the staff will keep the common areas in good order at all times. Complaining on Cruise Critic won't do much to correct the problem for future cruisers.

The OP's experience is pretty sad. I really wonder what changed in that area. We were on the cruise immediately before them (March 9 sailing) and never had that problem at all.

Yes there were times we found a table wasn't cleaned but that was usually at busy times when another passenger had recently left and when that happened we'd find a waiter to clean it for us.

We were also on the March 9th cruise and found the teak tables were usually clean. Looking forward to check out the Infinity next year through the canal :)

Oh Yes - for those who don't know, there is a secret squirrel code for ordering drinks in the Buffet and aft Bar. If the three sided menu holder is laying on it's side, you don't want to order a soda or drink. However, if you raise the menu to it's normal vertical position, you want to order.

Mike

We were also on the March 9th cruise and found the teak tables were usually clean. Looking forward to check out the Infinity next year through the canal :)

Oh Yes - for those who don't know, there is a secret squirrel code for ordering drinks in the Buffet and aft Bar. If the three sided menu holder is laying on it's side, you don't want to order a soda or drink. However, if you raise the menu to it's normal vertical position, you want to order.

Mike

That's a fleet wide signal as far as I know....

Archived