Inflatable twin mattress

Cruisin Oldies

Does anyone know if an inflatable twin mattress will fit between the twin beds in an ocean view cabin on the Grand Princess? We'd rather use that than have a 6 year old sleeping up on the bunk bed. Do you think we can just take the bedding from the upper bunk to make it up? I figure during the day we can store the mattress on one of the beds. TIA

Cruisin Oldies

That's what I was afraid of. I'm thinking the night stands might only be about 14 inches but hubby was thinking much larger. There is a toddler type sleeping bag/princess inflatable that's only 22 inches wide I can bring. She's about 4 1/2 ft or so and the thing isn't real long but that will work. Thanks.

Cruisin Oldies

I hate to bear bad news, but I don't think it will fit. Look at the photo here:

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2011/11/home-sweet-home.html?m=0

and you'll get a good idea of the space. We know the beds in the cabin are narrower than regular twins (I think they're closer to 32" wide, whereas a twin is 39" wide) and that space looks about the same width, if not a bit narrower. I think you'll have an issue.

What about a self-inflating mattress from REI (or a similar place)? We used ours for camping, but have 9 year olds sleep over on them and they do fine. They're much narrower and would be easier to bring on board.

Twin bed sizes, okay this I now know. The rep said they are 2 feet 9 1/2 inches wide by 6 feet 4 inches long. Smaller than I thought they were. He also knew the sq ft of the room but not the dimensions. Those smaller than a full twin mattresses would be easy to take and inflate if we need to use it plus we could get use out of it at home. Thanks for all the ideas.

Cruisin Oldies

Just give the 6 year old the lower bed and you take the bunk:rolleyes:

Sorry, no one else posted this and I had too.

That's actually a really good idea. I slept in one of the bunks once when my son was really seasick (and too young to know what seasickness was - he thought he had the flu). The most uncomfortable part is just the ladder climbing up but you can get up it quickly.

With the child in between those 2 twin beds, I'd be afraid that I'd get up at night to go to the bathroom and step on her/him. Also, the mattress is pretty thin on the bunk. It works great on the bunk, but on the floor, may be too hard.

thanks for the pictures "Essies Mom". Doesn't look like that much room. We're now thinking but maybe not doing -- put the bed in a queen size and have it against the wall. 3 can sleep with their heads to the side wall, feet to the center and all have enough room yet still be able to see out the window. Putting the end tables on the open area will give the girls a place to write, read, etc.

Cruisin Oldies

I'm not sure they can configure the queen that way.. At the very least would have to be requested on embarkation..

thanks for the pictures "Essies Mom". Doesn't look like that much room. We're now thinking but maybe not doing -- put the bed in a queen size and have it against the wall. 3 can sleep with their heads to the side wall, feet to the center and all have enough room yet still be able to see out the window. Putting the end tables on the open area will give the girls a place to write, read, etc.

Cruisin Oldies

Just a thought , some of the Princess ships have Premium Ocean View cabins , which are larger that regular OV cabin, they are the size of an OV with the added space of a veranda in footage , usually at the very front or back of the ship, I don't know which ship you will be on but you could check the deck plan and see if that is available on your itinerary, that would give you space to put the mattress there or there might even be a fold out sofa there, not sure. Hope it works out.

Cori

OOPs, sorry my bad. I did not see the OP listing that it was Grand Princess, I checked that deck plan and they don't have the extra size OV, Just a family size suite , which is more $$s. My other suggestion is that if your budget allows, get a mini suite , it would be more $$s as well but it comes with the fold out sofa and the extra tv for the 6 yr old as well. Hope it all works out.

Cori

Just a thought , some of the Princess ships have Premium Ocean View cabins , which are larger that regular OV cabin, they are the size of an OV with the added space of a veranda in footage , usually at the very front or back of the ship, I don't know which ship you will be on but you could check the deck plan and see if that is available on your itinerary, that would give you space to put the mattress there or there might even be a fold out sofa there, not sure. Hope it works out.

Cori

Even if that type room was on the Grand, it would not be practical.

The added space of a veranda is an actual veranda. So unless one of them wanted to sleep on a balcony, the added space is not useful in this case.

The reason they are called Premium Ocean View is that the balcony is not usuable when the ship is at sea, so they cannot market it as a balcony cabin.

Even if that type room was on the Grand, it would not be practical.

The added space of a veranda is an actual veranda. So unless one of them wanted to sleep on a balcony, the added space is not useful in this case.

The reason they are called Premium Ocean View is that the balcony is not usuable when the ship is at sea, so they cannot market it as a balcony cabin.

Yes your right , I was thinking of the Pacific and I think there are a couple others (may be the Sea Princess that have a true larger OV cabin that is not veranda but added space. I have friends that were on a Norweigan ship that had this type of cabin and it was a lot more space. But I am thinking that if the OP can manage it a mini suite would be a good option , we have done that with 3 to a cabin. Hope it all works out for the OP.

Cori

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. The one 6 year old will probably use the upper bunk -- she wants to. Her 6 year old cousin and our daughter will use the bottom beds. We have a fold out sofa in our room but they want to be together which is fine. They can do what they want. The daughter going with them tends be a bit over protective.

I did find out that the width of the room is probably 9 ft and the 2 beds together is 67 inches so there "should" be about 41 inches in the center.

Really liked seeing the pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Cruisin Oldies

Archived