Train ticket Validation?

gooloobie

We have booked Express train (Frecciarossa) for Rome and Milan and have read on Trenitalia website that printed ticket is accepted to get aboard. Is that true?

Do we have to get the real rickets from the counter?

I have also read from many posts that ticket validation is needed at those yellow machines. Does it apply to all train types?

Thanks!

Your printed ticket is fine for travel. It should have a bar code that can be scanned by the conductor.

For trains with reserved seats (such as this one), you do not need to validate your ticket using the yellow or green validation machines.

We boarded a train in January from Venice, and the station had a scanner-type device on the platform for validating our tickets that we printed had booked and printed from the Internet. I think they are becoming more widespread as more people book on the web.

That is when I'm on the platform before i get on the train ??

The conductor comes around to validate your voucher after the train is already moving and you are in your seat. It is usually within one half hour after the train has departed the station.

That is when I'm on the platform before i get on the train ??

No it will be on the train. I don't even recall anyone checking to see if you have a ticket prior to boarding the Italian trains. Other countries often do that.

A little confused: I just bought and printed some train tickets for use in early June. It does have the barcode, but I was under the impression that I had to have them validated at one of the little machines at the train station. Do I do that or just wait for the conductor on board? I've been on the trains before, and I recall having to do the little machine thingy prior to boarding.

If you have assigned seating you don't need to validate the ticket. However, if you have a general boarding ticket (I think this is only available on regional trains anymore - could be wrong though) you still must have the ticket validated prior to boarding.

Where can I purchase these train tickets online? Ive found several sites, but all are in Italian so I don't know what it says. Any sites out there that are in English I can purchase these from?

Trenitalia.com is the official site. There is an option to switch to English: look for the British flag in the top right corner of the page.

I printed out my tickets last night for my trains Florence-Roma Termini-Fiumicino Airport. The Florence-Rome ticket has a "normal" barcode and a QR-code (that square kind of barcode). The Rome-Fiumicino ticket just has the QR-code.

For using the trenitalia.it site, you do need to establish a login to buy your ticket. Do that first and then look for your trains and buy. Be aware that, on trains with assigned seating, the "automatic assign" is the default picked. I always like to self-select, so I make sure I check that box. One thing: I didn't get an email with the tickets, but I was able to go into my account and print them out. Not sure what happened, but it was no biggie.

It's really pretty painless. I had more trouble on the Delta Airlines website :eek:

I used that train Rome to Florence, I got a confirmation code via text message on my mobile phone, that's all I needed when a guy came to check the tickets. No credit card or passport to be shown. Enjoy the ride, it goes very fast but you really don't feel it!

I used that train Rome to Florence, I got a confirmation code via text message on my mobile phone, that's all I needed when a guy came to check the tickets. No credit card or passport to be shown. Enjoy the ride, it goes very fast but you really don't feel it!

I don't have a smartphone, it's a really dumb, old one. I don't text ;)

I did read on the trenitalia site that if you have your PNR, you're good to go. The conductor will just mark you off his/her list. I just thought it was a little strange that one ticket has both kinds of barcodes and one just had a QR. I wasn't worried, just curious.

Archived