What to do in Bermuda?

hey deneen....its our first cruise so cant speak from experience but,,, i set up the Horseshoe Bay for 12pm the 29th and then the glass bottom boat for the evening i think at 8pm.... the 30th we are getting ashore early and winging it..... enjoy whatever u do...

Last time we were there, we just explored the dockyard area (there is a rum cake factory, a glass blowing factor, a museum/fort where dolphin quest is, etc) and then went to snorkel beach (even though it is not as gorgeous as some of the other beaches in Bermuda, it is still VERY lovely). It was a very inexpensive day.

Other times, went we exited the ship, there is an official person organizing the busses and taxis who arranged a "Blue Flag" taxi for us. It's a personal tour for $10 per person/per hour, and the driver/guide will take you all over the island and stop wherever you want (including a beach stop). For us, it was a great deal! (I believe you need at least 4 people to get this standard rate)

I am also going to Bermuda in June On the Granduer . We are going to Hamiton to shop On monday ,Also going to horseshoe bay beach to swim and relax . I want to rent waverunners but we will see. We are leave Baltimore On the 14th when is your cruise ?

Plan on spending at least one afternoon at Horseshoe Beach. Very beautiful, walk all around the area. Go way to the left, there are trails that lead you to the top of some rocks. Nice views, very relaxing. We saw the birds that are native to Bermuda..Long tails? Large white birds with trailing tail.

Try renting one of their motor skooters...such fun trying to drive on the other side of the road, especially with many of the intersections being round-abouts.

a word of caution on this.. EVERY.SINGLE.TIME a cruise ship is in port there is an accident.. when we were there it was EN plus a Carnival ship and I think a Norwegian ship as well. the other 2 were already there when we arrived and there had already been one accident between scooter and bus and when we returned from our trip to the Aquarium/zoo( very nice, highly recommend) there had been another, this one more serious.

one of the gentlemen we spoke to said that this happened frequently and that on occasion, the injuries were very serious. if you do not have experience riding a motorcycle or scooter, then you should not use Bermuda as your first attempt.

Our next trip we would like to hit some of the historical sites.

We spent our first day at St George, seeing the town and snorkeling at Tobacco Bay. The second day we snorkeled at Church Bay and then walked the trail from Warwick to Jobsons to Horseshoe! That was a spectacular day! The third day we explored the Dockyard and had lunch at the Frog and Onion. We did not make it to Hamilton...next trip!

lauri

Try renting one of their motor skooters...such fun trying to drive on the other side of the road, especially with many of the intersections being round-abouts.

Lets see...Americans who rarely ride scooters riding on the opposite side of the road with roundabouts. What could possibly go wrong? :eek: :D

We have been to Bermuda twice. Once in 2009 on the Grandeur out of Baltimore and last October on the Explorer out of NJ.

We like the port of Baltimore much better [so easy], but the cruise from NJ gave us much better port times in Bermuda. I would make the trip to NJ again if we went to Bermuda. We were there for essetially 3 full days. EX arrived at 9-ish on the first day and left 4pm on third day.

We purchased a 3 day unlimited ferry and bus pass. It was $28pp. I read that this has gone up a few $$ for this year. [They added a ferry and updated the buses] This is the very best way to get around the island. It is only 22 miles long. Taxi cabs can be expensive. Note--there is a 25% surcharge for a taxi on a Sunday.

We spent one day in Hamilton [shopping, Fort Hamilton, Capitol Building, Art gallery]; one day at Horsehoe Bay beach [with a side trip to climb the Gibbs light house on the way back to the dock]; and one day in St Georges [with a side trip to climb the St David's lighthouse].

The only admissions we paid--less then $5 at the Gibbs lighthouse. This was one of the cheapest cruises we have EVER been on.

The island is safe, clean and easy to get around. Have a great cruise.

I am also going to Bermuda in June On the Granduer . We are going to Hamiton to shop On monday ,Also going to horseshoe bay beach to swim and relax . I want to rent waverunners but we will see. We are leave Baltimore On the 14th when is your cruise ?

Where do you go to rent waverunners?

Going to to Bermuda in June. Wondering what excursions to take?:confused: Suggestions please? Three adults early 50's. :)

My suggestion is to ditch the excursions except perhaps for diving and snorkeling. Get a good guidebook before leaving and a ferry/bus pass when you arrive. Ferries and buses are reliable and clean and regularly go wherever you want in Bermuda including all the beaches and attractions.

Here is a useful link: http://www.gotobermuda.com

My suggestion is to ditch the excursions except perhaps for diving and snorkeling. Get a good guidebook before leaving and a ferry/bus pass when you arrive. Ferries and buses are reliable and clean and regularly go wherever you want in Bermuda including all the beaches and attractions.

Here is a useful link: http://www.gotobermuda.com

If you plan to do something that is off the bus route than you might need an excursion. [like the horebasck riding stable] But, you can get almost anywhere via buses.

The walk down to Horseshoe Beach is long and somewhat steep. The problem is the walk back up. There was an enterprising local at the bottom with a van who would drive you back to the top. In 2010 he charged $2. My wife Marj made me walk up with her. By the time the bus back to the docks arrived, I was stiff and sore.

I have never seen waverunners available for rent at Horseshoe Bay, if that's where you were thinking of renting them.

Mary Anne

When we were in Bermuda on GRandeur in October of 2009, a group of younger people rented scooters. They were involved in an accident. One of the group was killed and another was very seriously injured. The busses in Bermuda ride so close to the scooters that I was afraid for the scooter drivers when we rode the busses.

Mary Anne

Crystal Caves and Fantasy caves are an interesting attraction!

And lets not forget the Swizzle Inn... You can rent wave runners I think at kings wharf, it is a guided tour, you cant take them out yourself...unless this has recently changed... I think I took a picture of the phone # last May, I will see if i can find it.

I also wouldnt suggest to anyone to rent a moped...unless you are an experienced rider and have experience driving on the opposite side if you're used to driving here in America..Even then, the suggestion just doesnt come to mind. I have also seen too many moped-horrors there. :eek:

Whenever we get to Bermuda we take the ferry to Hamiliton and that is always one of the highlights of our cruise, we have done the helmet diving, visited St. George, taken a horse and carriage ride. The streets are very safe, we have taken the bus all over the island and we are senior citizens.

Lets see...Americans who rarely ride scooters riding on the opposite side of the road with roundabouts. What could possibly go wrong? :eek: :D

My father had a horrible scooter accident years ago in Bermuda (gravel) and had to be medically flown to Hopkins. I promised him I would never rent a scooter,ever. He had neck and back trouble the rest of his life!

Archived