Open Seating & Gratuities

autotripper

Some great opinions posted here and while I agree that some people may linger in Select the majority are in and out rather quickly (1 to 1 1/2hrs). This is so they can see the shows as well and allows three seatings in Select dining rooms. The 5.30-6pm seating get in and out quickly to see the first show at 7pm. The second seating 7-7.30pm do the same to get the late show at 8.30pm and the third seating comes in after the first show at around 8-8.30pm and may linger as long as they wish.:D

I think efficiency might increase if the cruiseline gave guests the chance to totally opt out of the MDR. after all there are guests who will eat in buffet or specialty restaurants or room service every single night of their cruise. prepaying gratuities may dissuade them from Select dining, so instead they are assigned seats in traditional dining...seats that are vacant every single night. silly

I bet the bean counters have thought about this one. The whole gratuity thing gets in the way here as well as the gratuity one pays for the wait staff is for all service one gets on the ship. Perhaps those who opt out could be charged less for gratuities on a daily basis.

I wonder- does the policy have anything to do with the logistics of distributing tips? It must be more difficult to allocate tips on a rotating server basis....By having the money in advance the funds could be divvied up the same night. I would imagine you could adjust the individual nights tips if the service were so bad to warrant that.

That's why they only charge the cruise price, always $1000's per passenger, at the end of the cruise for their cruise. :rolleyes:

Or are you one of those that have to pay for it weeks before you even set foot on the ship. :rolleyes:

I bet the bean counters have thought about this one. The whole gratuity thing gets in the way here as well as the gratuity one pays for the wait staff is for all service one gets on the ship. Perhaps those who opt out could be charged less for gratuities on a daily basis.

hypothetically, if I were eating every meal in the buffet, I'd like to use the automatic gratuity and have the dining portion go to the staff in the buffet. Of course, having it follow my specific eating pattern is difficult, so if the dining portion of my gratuity was spread among waitstaff assigned non-MDR venues in the evening (specialty, room service, etc), I'd be happy.

I do not know how X works but an asst waiter on RCI explained he is assigned certain weeks to serve the evening meal in the MDR, and then he gets tips. other weeks he is assigned his turn in the buffet and does not get tips that week. Upon hearing that I decided if ever DH and I have a cruise where we intend to eat in the buffet every night (unlikely unless we got late traditional dining and could not change), we would try to "adopt" a waiter in the evening buffet, sit in his (or her) section consistently, consistently ask him for any needed service, and tip him appropriately. It has not happened as we are now high enough in the loyalty program that we tend to get our dining requests.

• 2 months later...
You may not understand the reason but it was given to you in an earlier post. With traditional dining you get the same waiter every night, with Select you do not. That's the reason, you can argue it all you wish on this board but that is the reason.

Asking why a policy seems inconsistent with other polices is not unreasonable at all. I think the point is trying to understand the logic behind the reason and not the reason itself. I understand paying for my cruise in advance to ensure they hold the space for me. However paying for a gratuity that has yet to be earned, seems ridiculous.

What I would suggest is this is may partially be a carryover from years ago when you used to put your “tip” in an envelope and hand it to the respect service providers on board. If you have different wait staff everyday with Select Dining, this would be difficult to accomplish. Therefore let’s evoke a policy that says we’ll (the cruise line) collect in advance so that we (the cruise line) can split it equally amongst all staff. Even if this were the reason, it’s still not logical as the gratuity could still be deducted from an on-board account daily (as some other ships do).

Asking why a policy seems inconsistent with other polices is not unreasonable at all. I think the point is trying to understand the logic behind the reason and not the reason itself. I understand paying for my cruise in advance to ensure they hold the space for me. However paying for a gratuity that has yet to be earned, seems ridiculous.

What I would suggest is this is may partially be a carryover from years ago when you used to put your “tip” in an envelope and hand it to the respect service providers on board. If you have different wait staff everyday with Select Dining, this would be difficult to accomplish. Therefore let’s evoke a policy that says we’ll (the cruise line) collect in advance so that we (the cruise line) can split it equally amongst all staff. Even if this were the reason, it’s still not logical as the gratuity could still be deducted from an on-board account daily (as some other ships do).

The logic behind it was given in several posts, I was just reporting it, not saying I necessarily agree with the procedure. The problem with your suggestion is that people are allowed by Celebrity to remove all tips from on board accounts once on board. For your suggestion to work the tips would have to be mandatory and not be removed. How many complaints would then ensue...

By far the most likely reason is that it was an early bug in the website.

As we know none are ever fixed.....it became policy as nobody knew why it was on the website.

You are all putting too much faith in there being logic within large business. I have worked in a few and know that most things happen by accident and so just stick.

"A rose by any other name..."

Call it a gratuity, a tip, a service charge or whatever else you choose, but the fundamental question remains: why do some passengers pay in advance and others after the fact?

because that is the Policy.

if it annoys you so much to pay the cost a few months or a year up front, then you have options.. either choose set dining, or choose to not sail with a line that has this policy.

amazingly enough, there are people like me who VOLUNTARILY pay it up front when we book the cruise, no matter what our dining arrangements are. and there are those of us who do not understand this obsession with the concept in the first place,let alone how it is worded.

and really, is it so hard to use your OBC for something..anything.. else?

It's not a question of liking it but one of trying to understand what seems to be a possibly unfair practise.

Just for the record, DW and I prefer traditional dining, so I've no axe to grind. Simply looking for a logical answer.

In traditional dining, you develop a rapport with your assigned wait staff. Unless they botch it (unlikely) then your gratuities are likely to flow on or above par.

In select, you will not likely develop that rapport which could easily leave those servers at a disadvantage. From the cruise line's perspective, it is a basic step to preserve a level parity among the dining room staff - which improves morale and service. Makes perfect business sense to me.

For those who prefer the flexibility of select dining, it is essentially a no cost, minor step unless you plan to stiff your servers.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I find the tipping and formal night dining threads essentially useless. Essentially the same folks who take umbrage at the tipping situation are, for the most part, those who attempt to find ways to avoid conformance with the dress code.

By far the most likely reason is that it was an early bug in the website.

As we know none are ever fixed.....it became policy as nobody knew why it was on the website.

You are all putting too much faith in there being logic within large business. I have worked in a few and know that most things happen by accident and so just stick.

I doubt that because in the press release announcing Select Dining they stated that gratuities would have to be prepaid. This was a period of time before it even went into effect.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/tabLanding.do?pagename=footer_pages_about_celebrity#footer_pages_about_celebrity_press_room_tab/aboutceleb/pressRoomDetails.do%3Fevent_date=2009-08-31&event_type=press_release&sequence_code=A&pageNumber=6

It's not a question of liking it but one of trying to understand what seems to be a possibly unfair practise.

Just for the record, DW and I prefer traditional dining, so I've no axe to grind. Simply looking for a logical answer.

And I'm simply looking for a logical answer as to why you are so obsessed with this. :confused:

The logic behind it was given in several posts, I was just reporting it, not saying I necessarily agree with the procedure. The problem with your suggestion is that people are allowed by Celebrity to remove all tips from on board accounts once on board. For your suggestion to work the tips would have to be mandatory and not be removed. How many complaints would then ensue...

I disagree that the “logic” has already been posted. That’s why we are still talking about this. Again I understand the reason but not the logic. And I would suggest this applies to many who have posted.

Regarding the removal of gratuities, I’m sorry but I don't see your point?? If a guest has the ability to remove a gratuity partially or in full, then “complaints could ensue”. It doesn’t make any difference when the gratuity was paid. I’m suggesting that the old cash in an envelope might work if you have the same wait staff every day. With Select Dining, you might require 3 dozen envelopes to catch everyone that had anything to do with your dining experiences. So Celebrity said, we will collect and distribute. But I’m still paying for something that has yet to be earned.

Regardless, this is the policy and I have agreed to it, whatever the logic.

I disagree that the “logic” has already been posted. That’s why we are still talking about this. Again I understand the reason but not the logic. And I would suggest this applies to many who have posted.

Regarding the removal of gratuities, I’m sorry but I don't see your point?? If a guest has the ability to remove a gratuity partially or in full, then “complaints could ensue”. It doesn’t make any difference when the gratuity was paid. I’m suggesting that the old cash in an envelope might work if you have the same wait staff every day. With Select Dining, you might require 3 dozen envelopes to catch everyone that had anything to do with your dining experiences. So Celebrity said, we will collect and distribute. But I’m still paying for something that has yet to be earned.

Regardless, this is the policy and I have agreed to it, whatever the logic.

Think you proved my point.....3 dozen envelopes, that says it all...

As has been previously posted, select dining (or anytime dining on Princess), all the gratuities on cruise lines now, are distributed to the staff. We use anytime dining on Princess for all of our cruises and do not have to pay in advance. All the gratuities are divided among all the wait staff and if you want to give extra to a waiter, you can do so individually at the end of your cruise. We have been able to ask for the same waiter if we have had good service the night before. Took a RCL cruise in 2010 and had to pay for gratuities in advance for anytime dining. Didn't care for it but we did it.

Was looking at possibly doing a Celebrity Med cruise in a couple years and noticed on the website that select dining gratuities are paid in advance. Not sure why RCL and Celebrity gratuities for select dining have to be paid in advance, and not on other cruise lines such as Princess. We will pay it, but think it's unnecessary.

Not trying to create a big discussion as the subject is long enough, but had to mention that other cruise lines do not collect in advance.

As has been previously posted, select dining (or anytime dining on Princess), all the gratuities on cruise lines now, are distributed to the staff. We use anytime dining on Princess for all of our cruises and do not have to pay in advance. All the gratuities are divided among all the wait staff and if you want to give extra to a waiter, you can do so individually at the end of your cruise. We have been able to ask for the same waiter if we have had good service the night before. Took a RCL cruise in 2010 and had to pay for gratuities in advance for anytime dining. Didn't care for it but we did it.

Was looking at possibly doing a Celebrity Med cruise in a couple years and noticed on the website that select dining gratuities are paid in advance. Not sure why RCL and Celebrity gratuities for select dining have to be paid in advance, and not on other cruise lines such as Princess. We will pay it, but think it's unnecessary.

Not trying to create a big discussion as the subject is long enough, but had to mention that other cruise lines do not collect in advance.

It's their ship. They can set whatever policies they want. This is no different than each cruise line having different smoking policies, or policies regarding bringing on alcohol, or policies on dress codes. If someone can't make peace with the simple fact that they own the ship and they make the decisions for whatever reason they choose, there are other alternatives. To keep complaining or questioning it serves no purpose at all. That is about as productive as trying to push a rope up hill.

Celebrity's procedures are a little different, the Select Dining waiters have their tips pooled those in regular dining don't. It probably would be better for everyone to be pooled and thus there would not be a problem but that's the way it is.

It's their ship. They can set whatever policies they want. This is no different than each cruise line having different smoking policies, or policies regarding bringing on alcohol, or policies on dress codes. If someone can't make peace with the simple fact that they own the ship and they make the decisions for whatever reason they choose, there are other alternatives. To keep complaining or questioning it serves no purpose at all. That is about as productive as trying to push a rope up hill.

I agree. Different cruise lines have different policies. I don't find that too hard to understand. If a person does not like the policies in place then find an alternative cruise line and let X know why you chose not to cruise with them. Pretty darn simple.

For me I have no issues with the policy. Gratuities are a normal part of cruising. If I have to pay them up front or once on board then it makes no difference to me. I have never in almost thirty years of cruising ever had bad service where I would have reduced the standard gratuities. When in Rome..................

Interesting to see the various ideas offered regarding pre-paid gratuities for Select. Here's one more, and of course, a combination of reasons may account for X's decision.

I agree the traditional seating servers have a superior opportunity to merit extra tips from their assigned guests. Serving traditional seating would become a reward for the highest guest server ratings. The 'pooling' of gratuities for Select suggests a more average level gratuity earned and may be associated with RELATIVELY lower service performance - like a 'second string' - leaving an incentive for Select servers to rise above to gain traditional assignment. While X would have a keen interest in table turnover stats, the Select dining would be less rigid to meeting the 'hard' turnover times critical for traditional seating.

I understand, before the Select alternative really took hold, that the traditional servers with the highest guest ratings were assigned more guests (towards 20) while 'weaker-rating' servers were pressured to up their game by having a few less guests at their station. A form of 'survival of the fittest'.:eek:

I'll be trying Select dining for the first time this August. Should be interesting - we hope to coordinate getting the same Select servers regularly.

I've put on my kevlar vest, so let the arrows fly. ;)

Just to clarify, the pre-paid gratuities for Select Dining covers both wait staff cabin attendant ... though discussions on most threads on this topic center on the wait staff. The logic presented about different staff every night certainly does not apply to the cabin attendant.

We always do Select and don't mind pre- paying. We have given up on trying to understand Celebrity's logic. We've also sailed on Princess where you don't pre- pay and everyone pays the per day charge for gratuities on the shipboard account.

We've always had superior service when using select dining...often better than traditional dining. I mentioned this to the maître d' on Equinox and was told the best waiters get promoted to select dining, where their reward is guaranteed tips.

Not true, Carnival also charges it in advance if you choose "My Time Dining". It's one of those stupid quirky things that I attribute to them trying to discourage Select/MTD from getting too busy. Proof that it isn't a computer issue is that with Aqua Class you get anytime dining in Blu without prepaying.

I have been on Carnival many times and had my time dining. My gratuities have always been charged either the first day or second day on the ship. Unless this is something new I have never heard of that.

We've always had superior service when using select dining...often better than traditional dining. I mentioned this to the maître d' on Equinox and was told the best waiters get promoted to select dining, where their reward is guaranteed tips.

I agree. Our servers using Select/MTD have been outstanding. :)

Archived