Sleeping on the plane

kugamuga

Flying to barcelona and it has been a while since I've had to sleep on a plane. I'm looking for suggestions for head rests/neck pillows or whatever you wish to call them. I assume some are better than others for various reasons. Which do you recomend?

Personally, I think the airplane pillow/head rests are like the pillow you sleep with in that everyone has their own preferences. We have several and DH and I prefer different ones. He likes one filled with beans and I like one filled with little styrofoam balls. If you are picky about your pillow, then I recommend shopping around and inspecting them in person to select your favorite. They have them for sale all over the airport shops if you can't find one beforehand.

Flying to barcelona and it has been a while since I've had to sleep on a plane. I'm looking for suggestions for head rests/neck pillows or whatever you wish to call them. I assume some are better than others for various reasons. Which do you recomend?

I recommend researching the plane you will be on. We flew to Barcelona from JFK via American Airlines... NEVER AGAIN! This airplane didn't have air vents at each seat... you know the kind you can turn on and off at your seat.

Needless to say, it was hot as heck (in Nov) in our part of the plane. I think another part of the plane must have been cold because I saw people walk to the bathrooms in the back with huge coats on. We've never experienced such a miserable flight. Now I'm starting to research planes and flights more. No head rest/neck pillows/socks or whatever (not even booze) could have helped on this flight. :rolleyes:

I shopped around including stores such as Sharper Image, and airport kiosks to find a comfortable neck rest/pillow that fit my needs. Some are prefilled with beads of some type, and some you blow up until it relays the comfort level that you wish. Believe it or not, I found the one I like the most in Five Below, and picked up four, several of which I use in the cars. The ones in Five Below come in very brights colors and designs, but they stand out over the basic black. The pillows were very comfortable going to and from Asia traveling in coach on Emirates, Cathay Pacific, Delta and Continental/ANA Airlines.

I shopped around including stores such as Sharper Image, and airport kiosks to find a comfortable neck rest/pillow that fit my needs. Some are prefilled with beads of some type, and some you blow up until it relays the comfort level that you wish. Believe it or not, I found the one I like the most in Five Below, and picked up four, several of which I use in the cars. The ones in Five Below come in very brights colors and designs, but they stand out over the basic black. The pillows were very comfortable going to and from Asia traveling in coach on Emirates, Cathay Pacific, Delta and Continental/ANA Airlines.

I will check that out. There is a Five Below in Marlton near my house. Thanks

I recommend researching the plane you will be on. We flew to Barcelona from JFK via American Airlines... NEVER AGAIN! This airplane didn't have air vents at each seat... you know the kind you can turn on and off at your seat.

Needless to say, it was hot as heck (in Nov) in our part of the plane. I think another part of the plane must have been cold because I saw people walk to the bathrooms in the back with huge coats on. We've never experienced such a miserable flight. Now I'm starting to research planes and flights more. No head rest/neck pillows/socks or whatever (not even booze) could have helped on this flight. :rolleyes:

Look here . . . . . http://www.seatguru.com/

I bought a "first class sleeper"...only carried it once because it did little for me.

I also bought a travelrest inflatable pillow. it worked well for me in a window seats on TA flights.

I used the First Class Sleeper on a 14 hour flight from Newark to New Delhi. Loved it:):):). The secret is to make sure it is not inflated too much.

Many larger planes lack individual air vents, so it's not specific to AA. I've flown first and business class on very modern airliners (777-300, 380-800, etc) on highly rated airlines (Cathay Pacific, Qantas, etc) without individual air vents. That's just the way it is.

I always sleep very well on the long-haul flights.

I always book Business or First Class.

Then I always ensure that my flight has the 180 degree flat beds.

Nothing else to do except drink champagne and enjoy the food and movies before bedtime.

Many larger planes lack individual air vents, so it's not specific to AA. I've flown first and business class on very modern airliners (777-300, 380-800, etc) on highly rated airlines (Cathay Pacific, Qantas, etc) without individual air vents. That's just the way it is.

For as much traveling as we do, I'm surprised we never noticed this. I guess we only noticed it because we were soaked in sweat the entire time, looking for vents, and couldn't sleep. :(

Have only been able to catch a few z's by putting an airline pillow on the snack tray and resting my head on that. Saw this in one of the magazines on a plane and thought it was intriguing.

http://www.protherapysupplies.com/Shop-by-Brand/SkyRest/SkyRest-Travel-Pillow

I've used this kind before, it's more comfy for sleeping (especially if your a stomach sleeper), the problem is if the person in front fidgets with their seat back a lot. It gives me the best chance to sleep, but I still get very little.

I used the First Class Sleeper on a 14 hour flight from Newark to New Delhi. Loved it:):):). The secret is to make sure it is not inflated too much.

I am glad that product works for you. everybody is different.

As I was awake a lot, I had the opportunity to try different levels of inflation from fully inflated to almost fully uninflated and points in between. that product just did not suit me well. since it has some weight and bulk, it now stays home. I slept like a baby on the next flight with the TravelRest; it is much smaller to pack, too.

Having traveled many time between San Francisco, I knew for certain I wouldn't sleep from New York to Cairo. Told my doc and he gave me a prescription for lorazepam 1 mg (for me and grandaughter (12 tabs).

"Noted, needed for flight anxiety." Wasn't anxious at all really, however, I was a bit fed up of watching other passengers sleep in what looked like the most uncomfortable positions. SO, this little pill worked wonders, left NYC city and woke up in Cairo.

I travel a great deal and long since have learned to sleep on planes. I can get to sleep because I always have my own eye shades and ear plugs, a shawl to use to keep warm (which is also a clothing item for my whole trip) and I go easy on food and alcohol.

Although my Kindle is tempting, I shut it off and just sleep.

Position of the vents is more a function of the aircraft type, not the carrier. If it is too warm, it is possible to ask that the cabin temp be adjusted.

Archived