Bringing your own tray for buffet? - Solstice -

kon000

We will sail on Solstice Aus/NZ in Nov this year with our 18months old daughter.

I saw posts that there's no tray in the buffet and food islands are wide spread... wondering if it's good idea to bring our own tray.

Since the little one would be too little to hold her plate, either DH or myself need to be with daughter at the table while we get our food and drinks...

Is it odd to see someone bring own tray?

We will sail on Solstice Aus/NZ in Nov this year with our 18months old daughter.

I saw posts that there's no tray in the buffet and food islands are wide spread... wondering if it's good idea to bring our own tray.

Since the little one would be too little to hold her plate, either DH or myself need to be with daughter at the table while we get our food and drinks...

I don't think it would be odd to bring your own tray, it will be convenient. You certainly are NOT inconveniencing anybody else. No worries!!!

Good idea. And a tray would take up little actual room in a suitcase. Although avoid heavy ones.....

And maybe throw in a little Tupperware container as well so if your child doesn't finish what they are eating, if its a food that will keep, you can take it back to the cabin and out it in the minibar fridge for later.

Just two problems

There are no tray rack so if you are going to use a tray you run a reasonable chance of spilling everything on the tray on someone else or the floor

The room coolers are not cold enough to safely keep food.

Just two problems

There are no tray rack so if you are going to use a tray you run a reasonable chance of spilling everything on the tray on someone else or the floor

The room coolers are not cold enough to safely keep food.

I would agree that it does not seem practical to me. You would need to be able to hold the tray with one hand without the tray rack. I suppose you could set a portion of the tray on the edge of the serving table, but you would need to hold it. You could probably use the tray to hold several glasses on water, juice, etc. if you want to carry more than three glasses at a time.

You could always bring one and give it a try. IMO the multiply serving station without the continuous tray rack is a significant improvement. I beleive when people complain about the lack of trays they are really talking about the whole buffet process and not just the tray itself.

I think this would be seen as very odd. I doubt if many cruisers bring their own tray.

Most ships did away with trays because of Norovirus risk. With your own personal tray, this isn't an issue, but ship personnel might think tray = virus. You might be questioned.

Most parents seem able to keep their children nourished without trays. You can certainly bring one, but your question was whether this was odd. I have to say yes.

I think it would look very odd. I cant see the need for this. The Oceanview does get crowded so even if you were just travelling as a couple, you would still probably do what most other people do ~ you find the table and take it in turns to get the food. Its a buffet ~ you dont have to get ALL the food at the same time.

I will never forget years ago i was at club med and they had buffet but no trays and people would just go to wherever the food they wanted was no line at the start of the plates and trays and waiting for the person in front of you to choose their salad before you can get to the meat. You want meat just go in front of where the steaks are.

I think no trays leads to a more free form way of getting food, plus it does cut down on waste somewhat

No, it is not. Do what is best for you and your family. As a matter of fact, I asked the same question probably 6 months ago. We were going to sail on Reflection and my DH had a very limited mobility at that time and obviously couldn't carry or hold his plate. So my DD and I would need to bring food for three of us. I brought 2 trays and it was the best thing I've ever done!!! You won't believe how many people asked me where I got the trays and if they could get one too! Trays saved us so many trips to the stations. The tray didn't take much space in the suite case. I got 2 really cheap and light trays at Ikea (I think they were under $2 each). I was even planning on leaving them on the ship in case we'd buy something and there wouldn't be space for trays. But we brought them back and I am going to take them again if we sail on S class ships.

Do what we do--order room service the first evening--the food is brought on a tray. Then keep the tray to use throughout the cruise. Order just coffee/hot chocolate for a small tray (maybe milk and cookies for the child's bedtime?) or a larger order for a bigger tray. Then you don't have to worry about bringing a tray with you or carrying it home.

No, it is not. Do what is best for you and your family. As a matter of fact, I asked the same question probably 6 months ago. We were going to sail on Reflection and my DH had a very limited mobility at that time and obviously couldn't carry or hold his plate. So my DD and I would need to bring food for three of us. I brought 2 trays and it was the best thing I've ever done!!! You won't believe how many people asked me where I got the trays and if they could get one too! Trays saved us so many trips to the stations. The tray didn't take much space in the suite case. I got 2 really cheap and light trays at Ikea (I think they were under $2 each). I was even planning on leaving them on the ship in case we'd buy something and there wouldn't be space for trays. But we brought them back and I am going to take them again if we sail on S class ships.

Seems like this poster with a similar need who had success and first hand knowledge would be a bonus for you.

I see nothing ODD in someone fending for three people doing anything to make dining easier and more enjoyable. Go for it!

Do what we do--order room service the first evening--the food is brought on a tray. Then keep the tray to use throughout the cruise. Order just coffee/hot chocolate for a small tray (maybe milk and cookies for the child's bedtime?) or a larger order for a bigger tray. Then you don't have to worry about bringing a tray with you or carrying it home.

This is what I do and it's the perfect solution. Room service is included in your fare (and the tipping pool in your daily service charge) so why not use it for a nice cup of coffee or tea that first morning.

What? It's been 3 years since we've cruised so maybe I'm out of the loop here. But no trays? You must balance several plates on your arms and your drink in your hand if you want to do it all in one trip?

Not sure I understand what you mean by tray. I can only think of the large trays you usually get in a buffet that hold several plates and a drink. Is this what we are talking about here?

I won't find it odd at all. I'd say go for it if you can. I think cruzsnooze's suggestion is great too.

I still don't understand why bringing a tray that doesn't inconvenience anyone else is considered a big issue - and I came from third world...

Unusual? Apparently so.

Odd? No!

It's good to see someone thinking outside the box. DW has mobility issues, and the thought of having to make multiple trips back and forth to get everything we need is troubling. We've cruised on other lines that had multiple stations but they provided trays.

I can see why trays would be useful if you have children or elderly/disabled people who might struggle to carry a plate, and I don't think it odd at all that you might want a tray so that your child is able to choose their own food without you trying to juggle plates.

But on the other hand it also prevents people being greedy, who actually needs two plates of food right away? The plates are not that tiny surely?

I would imagine it saves alot of wasted food when people realise they are full and don't really need a second helping of pudding.

From the above comments, lack of trays seem to reduce any queues which in turn reduced the need to take more than one plate because you don't want to queue!

When I sailed with my elderly mother, I would get food for both of us at the buffet by stacking two plates, putting all the food on one plate, and then just dividing it up back at the table. Sometimes I took one of those heavy duty cardboard drink holders you can get at a place like MacDonalds for carrying multiple drinks. I found the drink holder to be particularly useful at times. Hot drinks can be put in the plastic glasses and transferred to coffee cups if necessary.

I miss the trays on the Solstice type ships. The buffet area is huge. I felt like I was constantly walking. I often said that a tray would be helpful. They still have trays on the M class ships. Hope they do not get rid of them. It would be nice if there were help for people who have disabilities or have small kids. On my last cruise, I saw a woman with a walker placing her food on the walker. Nobody helped her. It was a shame. I miss the old Celebrity that had trays with white linen liners and a group of waiter who carried your tray to a table. Now I try to avoid the buffets. Maybe I will bring a walker on my next cruise.....or snag a waiter and beg for help. There is always room service, MDR, bistro on 5, porch, pool grill, etc. where you can avoid the buffet experience. Good luck.

Do what makes sense for your family and don't worry about what others think.

When traveling with my mom who has mobility issues, i have no problem getting her food and then getting mine. However, when my sister cruised with (she also has mobility issues due to multiple sclerosis), it was quite daunting getting food for all. by the time i was done getting their food, then getting mine, they were done eating by the time i sat down. I got pretty good at stacking plates etc to take to the cabin for lunch but sooo wished I had a tray. we are planning a cruise for later this year so i will buy a tray and bring it with us.

Do whatever you think is better for your family. You are probably driving to the port and don't have to deal with baggage issues. Enjoy your cruise, my children started cruising when they were 3 and 4 y/o and as a mom I think that cruising is the best vacation.

Yes I think it would be odd, unnecessary and potentially unclean.

I've been on five S Class sailings and have never, ever, seen any of the 2,800+ passengers on board carrying a tray in the buffet area nor at the buffet brunch in the MDR once each cruise..

Besides, the serving stations are not laid out for trays so you'll have no place to set your tray down to put things on it so you are likely to have more problems, and not less, with the tray.

If you are unable to get by on your own then ask a staff person for help. The key is to ask. I think the staffing in the buffet area isn't what it was a few years ago so there are less likely to be staff standing around offering assistance. But I believe if one asks for assistance they will get it. Also, since the buffet has serving stations and does not have a "tray line" and there no place to set a tray down so I'd think that those who do require assistance would generally have a more difficult time managing and balancing a tray than the large plates used in the buffet.

Larry(Lsimon) nailed it!!!

Totally agree with every word.

Aside from the improved efficiencies and sanitation aspects, trays increase food costs due to the fact people think they should take what they MIGHT want to eat instead of what they will eat. The shorter lines at the stations, if there are any at all diminish the perception people will have to wait in a line if they want to return to try something else.

As already stated, the "fridge" units in cabins are bev coolers, not refrigerators.

They do not keep food at safe temps. I know because I'm a type 1 diabetic and carry insulin which should be kept in a refrigerator to not lose potency or diminish usable life. I verified that with Celebrity.

Please OP...read the post above as he's an experienced cruiser and his suggestions are win/win for everybody.

Archived