Signature Suites - Are they worth it?

Viking75

Right now we've gotten a steal on VD 4166 with the 18ft balcony, $1619 for 14 days.

To upgrade its $35 per person per day.

Just not sure. Ive had the thought of VD 4166 in my mind forever now...Having a hard time changing my mind set.

We are already 3 stars, and i doubt with the new wine policy we will ever get to 4, so the extra points aren't a biggie.

Never say never Surfie girl - I think HAL's wine list will improve:D

Never say never Surfie girl - I think HAL's wine list will improve:D

I know it will improve, i hope it does. But unless they change the case minimum, or allow a corkage it will not apply to us. They will never carry more dessert wines, sparkling wines like sparkling shiraz, almond sparkling wine and probably not Sangria. For what we drink, I do not have hope, and sadly we love what we drink more than we love HAL, so sadly, off we will have to go. If they implemented a corkage fee or reasonable special order fee we would still cruise with them with the exception of a couple NCL cruises here and there, or an itinerary we cant pass up. For our important cruises we would still pick HAL... :(

Heres to hoping that they will implement a beverage package like X and allow $15 corkage fees for what is not on the list... Then we would never leave!

You have a great deal on VD4166, which by the way will become a VB in 2014. It's one of only 2 balcony cabins with that 18 foot balcony. There would be plenty of room to have a patio table added, perhaps a call to guest relations would answer that question for you. That being said, last October I was upgraded from a VD to an SY and thoroughly enjoyed all it had to offer. In fact, booked another SY for this October. I also have a hold on VD4166(VB4166) for a 2015 cruise for the size of the balcony.

You have a great deal on VD4166, which by the way will become a VB in 2014. It's one of only 2 balcony cabins with that 18 foot balcony. There would be plenty of room to have a patio table added, perhaps a call to guest relations would answer that question for you. That being said, last October I was upgraded from a VD to an SY and thoroughly enjoyed all it had to offer. In fact, booked another SY for this October. I also have a hold on VD4166(VB4166) for a 2015 cruise for the size of the balcony.

I know, its a steal for 14 days. I also have a TON of obc, if i do the signature suite i will get $500 more, so that offsets the price. Called guest services and they said ask for a table while on the ship. 4166 will never be this price again.

The SZ opened at more then i am used to seeing it at. $35 pp per day is not that bad, but the VD is great. Im just not sure! Ugh.

Not too bad of a predicament to be in. ;)

Since i am very happy with our cabin, i might just wait a week or so, till after our final payment and see what it goes to. Than decide. If they go up or sell out, i still win as I'm really happy with the VD. $490 per person, isn't horrible, but if it goes better i will be irritated i didn't wait.

I think i will let fate decide in a couple days :)

Edited by surfergirle

I know it will improve, i hope it does. But unless they change the case minimum, or allow a corkage it will not apply to us. They will never carry more dessert wines, sparkling wines like sparkling shiraz, almond sparkling wine and probably not Sangria. For what we drink, I do not have hope, and sadly we love what we drink more than we love HAL, so sadly, off we will have to go. If they implemented a corkage fee or reasonable special order fee we would still cruise with them with the exception of a couple NCL cruises here and there, or an itinerary we cant pass up. For our important cruises we would still pick HAL... :(

Heres to hoping that they will implement a beverage package like X and allow $15 corkage fees for what is not on the list... Then we would never leave!

never say never - I learned that a long time ago - wait;) I have a feeling you may see some good changes:)

never say never - I learned that a long time ago - wait;) I have a feeling you may see some good changes:)

I really do hope so. This Princess cruise has me stressed out.

I seriously dont want to rush all over the ship...A race against others on embarkation day for cabanas and cruise long sanctuary pass, dining and etc.

The room service issue really irks me, and how i keep getting misinformation.

Best thing that happens is i will rush and be successful, get super strressed in the process, and get what we need on embarkation day, as well as spend $32 for ultimate balcony breakfast every day. Ugh. I swear.

I hope HAL gets it together, we will book a cruise on our next sailing and cancel if they do not.

We are very limited with wanting Caribbean and can only be able to travel in Oct through Nov 20.

NCL is off the table right now, because we want a longer cruise. 10 to 14 days.

Edited by surfergirle

• 4 weeks later...
PS, Neptune Suites and Vista Suites has been my understanding. so on the ships with the categories SY, SS and SZ and with the ships without them the verandah suites are supposed to be included. At least that has always been my understanding.

The easiest way I understood it was....if the name suite is in the cabin category, then it qualifies for the double days.

I just wanted to check back in and thank you for this information. I did email HAL.

At first they replied that we had accepted an upsell and therefore did not qualify for the double days. Thankfully, I found my emails that showed we had not received an upsell, that I had seen the price on the HAL website and called to change my booking before final payment. They have now credited both of our accounts with the 20 extra days.

So thank you very much for your helpful reply!

Carol

I just wanted to check back in and thank you for this information. I did email HAL.

At first they replied that we had accepted an upsell and therefore did not qualify for the double days. Thankfully, I found my emails that showed we had not received an upsell, that I had seen the price on the HAL website and called to change my booking before final payment. They have now credited both of our accounts with the 20 extra days.

So thank you very much for your helpful reply!

Carol

Great news Carol:D:D:D Thanks for coming back and letting us know:D

• 1 year later...

We did 28nts on Oosterdam in a Signiture Suite and enjoyed it geatly. Our teen son is with us and in a verandah once his sofabed is opened you cannot move but in this larger cabin it's not a problem. Our friends had a Neptune which just looked like a slightly larger version of the same thing. I would like the Lounge access but its not a deal breaker. The one perk I wish the Signiture Suite would provide is Priority Checkin. Apart from that I think they're great and at double points we'll hopefully get from 3 to 4 star pretty quickly and will get the check in perks after that. Last time I also took the Suite Amenities package so got the grog, mongrammed gowns, canapes and so on but that ws probably a bit over the top so this time just added the laundry and pressing which to mind is a must.

I saw one post where the poster said there wasn't an issue with noise in these cabins. That is my main concern. The way HAL designed these ships, all the suites have the pool deck or Lido above them. We've been on RCCL ships in minisuites where we were awakened by cleaning decks above us,along with furniture being moved. I would be pretty annoyed if I had to deal with that. What about the rest of you...is there noise, or do you just tolerate it to be in a larger cabin? Luckily, on our next cruise on Prinsendam, there are suites where there are cabins above and below us!

I saw one post where the poster said there wasn't an issue with noise in these cabins. That is my main concern. The way HAL designed these ships, all the suites have the pool deck or Lido above them. We've been on RCCL ships in minisuites where we were awakened by cleaning decks above us,along with furniture being moved. I would be pretty annoyed if I had to deal with that. What about the rest of you...is there noise, or do you just tolerate it to be in a larger cabin? Luckily, on our next cruise on Prinsendam, there are suites where there are cabins above and below us!

Linda, if you take a look at the deck plans, there are several cabins that can be chosen that will not be affected by noise on the Lido by nature of what is above. It's the main pool area where the chairs are that get moved and other such areas where chairs get put up and taken down that seem to cause the issues in my experience. If one chooses carefully, it is usually ok.

For our cruise on the Oosterdam 2 months ago we were offered an upsell to a signature suite. I was a bit on the fence about taking it, but once on the ship I loved it.

Yes, it is all about the extra space. That starts in the bathroom with 2 sinks and a separate shower and jetted tub. In the room there were two desk areas -with one of them having a window that faced the ocean. What a great view! In addition, the balcony was larger than the average. This means you can actually stretch out and relax. You're not confined to 2 little chairs to see the beautiful scenery.

It was also nice to be able to walk through the room without having to step aside for the other person in the room. Plus we enjoyed all the extra storage space.

The other perk not listed is the priority boarding since you are a "suite" guest. Not only that, it seemed our luggage arrived earlier.

My DH was so thrilled with the suite that we booked our next cruise on board as a signature suite instead of a deluxe balcony!:D

Hey look a year and a half old thread!

To us, no they are not worth it unless the cost is less than $200/pp for a 7 day cruise. The only exception if they are corner afts, then all bets are off as we value those cabins above any other.

Each individual values things differently.

Edited by sppunk

Linda, if you take a look at the deck plans, there are several cabins that can be chosen that will not be affected by noise on the Lido by nature of what is above. It's the main pool area where the chairs are that get moved and other such areas where chairs get put up and taken down that seem to cause the issues in my experience. If one chooses carefully, it is usually ok.

Thanks, Jacqui! I did notice there are some (particularly on Maasdam) that would be OK. What about under the Lido?

Thanks, Jacqui! I did notice there are some (particularly on Maasdam) that would be OK. What about under the Lido?

The lido over the rooms is mostly carpet, I have never heard any noise complaints from those and rarily even from the ones under the pool area.

• 2 months later...
Re SS cabins on upper verandah deck. Should we select Port or starboard side to avoid the windy trade-winds when sailing north(east) bound in early April ? Don't want to see my favourite book flying overboard.

If you are on either side of the ship while it is in motion, you will experience 20-knot winds unless you are on an aft-cabin verandah.

Re SS cabins on upper verandah deck. Should we select Port or starboard side to avoid the windy trade-winds when sailing north(east) bound in early April ? Don't want to see my favourite book flying overboard.
]

You are sailing from Sydney? have you joined your roll call? there is probably good discussion there.

There are spots on the verandah where you can sit out of the wind. I've only done Trans Atlantics, no Transpacific, but the wind has never been that big of an issue other than a couple of days and then I went to those spots.

My intuition says starboard, but I could be out to lunch. I'd check with those who have researched, done or are on this cruise.

I am debating between a regular balcony cabin and the Signature Suite on the Oosterdam for an Alaska cruise. It looks like while the cabin is slightly bigger it doesn't really come with too many extra perks (e.g., stationery, DVDs). For those that have traveled in the Signature Suites are they worth the extra money? The extra room isn't that important but it is nice if there are other perks. Thanks for your insights.

... in my opinion, the Signature Suites are definitely worth the extra expense but it all depends on your priorities - if extra space & the other suite perks are more important to you than, say, a couple (or so) bottles of very good (expensive) wine, then the answer is yes ... otherwise it's no, especially if you do not plan to spend much time in your stateroom ...

Rod

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting this thread for an update please.

We are considering a guarantee on a Signature Suite on Oosterdam. Does anyone know if there are loungers on the verandah and what does a “no host bar” mean ?

Any other info would be appreciated please . Thanks