Signature Suites - Are they worth it?

Viking75

I am debating between a regular balcony cabin and the Signature Suite on the Oosterdam for an Alaska cruise. It looks like while the cabin is slightly bigger it doesn't really come with too many extra perks (e.g., stationery, DVDs). For those that have traveled in the Signature Suites are they worth the extra money? The extra room isn't that important but it is nice if there are other perks. Thanks for your insights.

From the Hal website:

Include all the stateroom amenities,

plus: •A variety of firm, medium and soft pillows

•No-host mini-bar for easy entertaining

•Personalized cruise stationery

•Oversized bath towels

•One-touch telephone concierge service

•Fresh flowers

•Complimentary DVD library

We like the added space in the cabin and on the balcony and find the telephone concierge service helpful.

Neptune suites are worth every penny and the only way to cruise. It will allow you to fully relax, be pampered and feel like royalty. The Neptune Lounge can't be beat. My personal favorite is breakfast in the PG.

We were lucky when we booked our last cruise on the Zuiderdam that the SY was only a few $ more than our usual VA so we garbed it and did we ever enjoy it so much more. Extra room,2 sinks in bathroom as well as a shower beside the tub as well as what was listed above. Only you can decide what is best for you.:):)

Neptune suites are worth every penny and the only way to cruise. It will allow you to fully relax, be pampered and feel like royalty. The Neptune Lounge can't be beat. My personal favorite is breakfast in the PG.

The OP is not asking about Neptune Suites but Signature Suites, which do not have access to the Neptune Lounge nor to breakfast in the Pinnacle.

As far as Signature Suites, I am quite sure double sinks are the secret to a happy marriage. :)

• Haha 1

To me it wouldn't be worth it. But I'm the type who can enjoy an inside cabin. If the difference in price isn't too much for your budget, then only you can decide. But remember that whatever extra you pay could make you decide to skimp on some other things--shore excursions, specialty restaurants, good wine. These are things that I'd rather spend my money on.

We went to the signature suites two cruises ago and won't travel in anything smaller now. LOVED the extra room and the larger balcony! And the bathroom is much larger also! If the cost is not a concern, I say go for it! It's vacation after all!

We lived our Signature suite on our Caribbean Eurodam cruise for the extra room, and the really large balcony!

However, contemplating an Alaskan cruise we were thinking just a Verandah as it s colder and everyone says you spend much more time or on the public decks for the views!

I appreciated the bigger balcony on my Alaska trip last year during Glacier Bay day - the people on the bow with the park ranger were so LOUD you couldn't hear the glacier calving, and since it was my first time to Alaska, I really wanted to experience that. We moved back down to our balcony and I was able to hear the wonderful sounds made by the glacier. I also used it several other times during the week to set up my camera tripod and take some great shots of the scenery as it passed by.

No, we didn't sit out there and eat breakfast or cocktails like we did on our Mediterranean cruise, but it was still nice to have our own private space with nature, I think. That being said, a "regular" balcony might be just fine for you.

On one of our cruises we will experience a signature suite. On our last cruise and the one coming up we booked signature suites only to get an upsell offer to a Neptune Suite that we couldn't pass up.

• Like 1

My personal opinion is that HAL's Signature Suite is the best deal out there. There is nothing else to compare them to with another cruise line. Technically they are a Mini Suite but all other cruise lines mini suites just cannot compare they are all much smaller with bragging rights of getting a bathtub...seriously. HAL's Signature Suites are nicely sized and proportioned with the same exact bathroom as the Neptune Suites having double sinks, the biggest difference is not having the separate dressing area and slightly less sq footage. Based on recent pricing for future cruises and the demand HAL has figured out they have a winner with them so the prices keep going up. Of course so do the Neptune Suites :rolleyes: Based simply on what you do get for the money the Signature Suites are a bargain and well worth the move up.

• Like 1

We booked this accommodation on the Westerdam in December. While we most likely would have been more than happy we did get the upsell offer to the Neptune suite - which we gladly paid for. There may be an opportunity for you as well. This was probably our best cruise ever - between the great cabin and the amenities that went with it.

The OP is not asking about Neptune Suites but Signature Suites, which do not have access to the Neptune Lounge nor to breakfast in the Pinnacle.

As far as Signature Suites, I am quite sure double sinks are the secret to a happy marriage. :)

Double sinks---you are so happy right:) the sinks alone are worth the price of admission. The free standing shower is another selling point. I also love that we can move about the large cabin without one of us having to flatten against the wall while the other passes.

We did try a Neptune suite once but found we hardly used the Neptune Lounge. Also, I didn't like the dressing table in the closet. I like to be able to watch the scenery going by while doing hair and makeup in the morning.

The Signature suites are just perfect for us and worth the extra cost. I remember the first time we tried one it was just to be for that one time and my husband said not to get too attached to the idea. Well we all know how that plays out. :D In the end it was my husband who decided he did not want to go back to sharing sinks at sea. Who am I to argue? ;)

Double sinks---you are so happy right:) the sinks alone are worth the price of admission. The free standing shower is another selling point. I also love that we can move about the large cabin without one of us having to flatten against the wall while the other passes.

We did try a Neptune suite once but found we hardly used the Neptune Lounge. Also, I didn't like the dressing table in the closet. I like to be able to watch the scenery going by while doing hair and makeup in the morning.

The Signature suites are just perfect for us and worth the extra cost. I remember the first time we tried one it was just to be for that one time and my husband said not to get too attached to the idea. Well we all know how that plays out. :D In the end it was my husband who decided he did not want to go back to sharing sinks at sea. Who am I to argue? ;)

I agree with you 200% :D After years of having plenty of the Neptune Suites we have found the last several cruises we never used the Neptune, I really dislike the dressing area in the Neptune Suites because it seems dark and orange. I much prefer to get ready and do my make up out in the cabin where I can look outside see what is going on and have natural day light. Besides that the dressing area gets so steamy when someone has taken a shower. The Signature Suites are really about the same sq footage as the SC Corner afts for cabin size. With being 4 Star Mariner we already get priority embarkation and free laundry. While I will miss the occasional going to the Pinnacle for Breakfast and the Neptune Suite Cocktail Parties, I much prefer my Signature Suite. We will have it for the next 11 days and having the same cabin and not having to move is a plus for me. Now if they wanted to give me access for breakfast in the Pinnacle and invite me to a cocktail party I would have everything I want ;)

We have sailed in ocean view, balcony, signature suite, and neptune suites. Last trip to Alaska were in an aft corner neptune. AMAZING! Anyway, we have really enjoyed the signature suite as well, for the extra room in cabin, bathroom, and balcony. That being said, HAL's balcony cabins are generous in size. Enjoy whatever your budget allows.

We always used to choose Deluxe Verandah Suites (now Neptune Suites). But since sailing on Vista class ships we prefer the SY (now Signature Suites).

For us, on Vista class, the Neptune suites are not worth the extra. The Signature suites are large enough for us and I love the separate shower as I cannot climb in and out of the tub.

We are not keen on the Neptune Lounge - when we first sailed in these suites there was no such thing as a suite lounge.

We prefer breakfast on the balcony rather going to the Pinnacle Grill. We buy the unlimited laundry package - we will soon be 4 star so will not even do that.

Sometimes I think people choose Neptune suites just for the 'bragging rights' :D

Edited by English_in_Spain
  • Like 1

but for a little extra we now book Signature whenever possible. More space and bigger balcony even without the cost or benefits of a Deluxe. Really missed that extra room on the Ryndam.

Edited by SeaBands

Our next cruise will be in a Signature cabin, so will let you know then. We have booked it before, but then took an upsell to Neptune cabin.

We are just 3 star, so the perks of a Neptune suite are nice. Once we get to 4 star (due to the perks), I can see how a Signature cabin would be a better "value", and will likely book them more often.

DaveOKC

We're trying out an SY for the first time May 12 on the Oosterdam.

We've done VA's and SA's but this sounds more like what we'll enjoy. The one thing we wanted to avoid was the SS cabins under the Lido pool and restaurant.

I find the Neptune Lounge overrated unless we have a problem and need quick help, then it's priceless. We'll pay for laundry but will miss the easier boarding.

...The one thing we wanted to avoid was the SS cabins under the Lido pool and restaurant....

There are very few reports, if any, of those cabins being subjected to noise from above. We have been in them a few times, both under the buffet and the pool, and have never had an issue with noise from above.

There are very few reports, if any, of those cabins being subjected to noise from above. We have been in them a few times, both under the buffet and the pool, and have never had an issue with noise from above.

Don't have a cabin assignment yet from our SZ guarantee, but there is a LOT of empty SS inventory for our cruise so I fully expect to end up in those "dreaded" SS cabins under the Lido - glad to hear several report that they are OK! We are really looking forward to the extra space and will do without the other perks that we really don't need/use (especially our two college age kids under 21 who will be in a nearby, we presume cabin). Neptune perks would be wasted on them for the most part. Especially if we are in close proximity to the Lido deck, they will avail themselves of the buffett if they need a snack, or room service, as they have done before. We will order the unlimited laundry, which is probably the only thing we would miss (besides the cocktail parties!)

Thanks to everyone for your comments about Signature Suites - you are making our anticipation so much more enjoyable!!

We have over 100 days , love my medillion. I hardy stay in the cabin. I do like to see the sun in the cabin, but I also don't mind an inside. As I say I spend very little time in a cabin.

We always used to choose Deluxe Verandah Suites (now Neptune Suites). But since sailing on Vista class ships we prefer the SY (now Signature Suites).

For us, on Vista class, the Neptune suites are not worth the extra. The Signature suites are large enough for us and I love the separate shower as I cannot climb in and out of the tub.

We are not keen on the Neptune Lounge - when we first sailed in these suites there was no such thing as a suite lounge.

We prefer breakfast on the balcony rather going to the Pinnacle Grill. We buy the unlimited laundry package - we will soon be 4 star so will not even do that.

Sometimes I think people choose Neptune suites just for the 'bragging rights' :D

I don't think some book these for bragging rights. They book them for the reason that you don't. some do enjoy breakfast in the PG. Some do enjoy the Neptune Lounge. You sail on Vistas. when you get to the smaller ships there are no SY's (other than the Prinsendam).

That's why there are 31 flavours on Baskins and Robbins (yes I loved that post). Each to their own.

OP -if space doesn't really matter, then it doesn't hold much value = I don't like getting on the bed so DH can pass by - I think you might be surprised by how much you could enjoy this cabin. the longer the cruise - the more it becomes meaningful:D