Elite Social hour changing?

Just back from the Summit and enjoyed the Elite social hour, something they did not have 4 years ago when I last sailed Celebrity. A crewman confided in me that he heard that the bean counters from RCCL are doing the numbers and will have an anouncement toward the end of the year to align the program more closely to the Diamond + program. Which means 25 cruises. Enjoy it while you can.

Star Princess 10/21/13 Hawaii, HAL 56 days, RCCL 104 days, NCL 28 days, Princess 214 days, Royal 14 days, Cunard 49 days, Celebrity 16 cruises.:confused:

Just back from the Summit and enjoyed the Elite social hour, something they did not have 4 years ago when I last sailed Celebrity. A crewman confided in me that he heard that the bean counters from RCCL are doing the numbers and will have an anouncement toward the end of the year to align the program more closely to the Diamond + program. Which means 25 cruises. Enjoy it while you can.

Star Princess 10/21/13 Hawaii, HAL 56 days, RCCL 104 days, NCL 28 days, Princess 214 days, Royal 14 days, Cunard 49 days, Celebrity 16 cruises.:confused:

Are you saying that both Celebrity and RCCL will eliminate the cocktail hour for anyone under 25 cruises? This won't go over very well.

I'm not doubting you, but how would a crew member be privy to this info?

Are you saying that both Celebrity and RCCL will eliminate the cocktail hour for anyone under 25 cruises? This won't go over very well.

It goes over well with me.

Everyone can become Elite very quickly and it's flooded the ship with Elites. What is so so special about being one of a crowd. The lounge is over crowded. I love the idea of 25 cruise credits. If you sail in a suite and more then 12 nights you get triple credit so it can take about 8 cruises to make elite.

It would only take 4 wouldn't it? Assuming you were always doing 12 night cruises and staying in Concierge or above. I'm yet to cruise Celebrity but I'm quite surprised how easy it is to reach the top tier.

Everyone can become Elite very quickly and it's flooded the ship with Elites. What is so so special about being one of a crowd. The lounge is over crowded. I love the idea of 25 cruise credits. If you sail in a suite and more then 12 nights you get triple credit so it can take about 8 cruises to make elite.

Is it 25 cruises or 25 cruise credits? Makes a big difference.

Celebrity has already said that they are working on improvements to the captain's club tiers and that they would announce something this year. Beyond that, we have many rumors, suggestions, hopes and fears....as well as the usual "I have inside information from my barber's dog groomer's brother". Everyone is entitled to their rumors and many like to state rumors as "keep this a secret but" to show that they , somehow, are on the in.

Yes, there will be changes...but at this time no one knows the new tiers, the new perks, the requirements for the tiers or how they will be calculated.

I just reached Elite and it has taken me 7 years (one cruise a year in a balcony). We are excited that we will be entitled to Elite perks on our 2014 cruise.

If what you have posted, maybe we will not be allowed the perks that we have obtained by being loyal to Celebrity :(

I believe vouchers will apply to elites and a lounge may be provided to elite +.

I doubt that free drinks will be eliminated.

However 1,2,3 will soften the impact as experienced cruisers see the advantage of not being tied down to one location or a limited time.

Don't you think they'll grandfather in those who have reached Elite? Would be a PR nightmare if they took away perks.

You might look at the airline loyalty programs. Many have reduced benefits over the past several years. They have had some whining, but there is little else that one can do.

You might look at the airline loyalty programs. Many have reduced benefits over the past several years. They have had some whining, but there is little else that one can do.

Many stick with one cruise line because of the loyalty program. If it's no longer offered, they will look at other options.

Actually 8 cruises, of 12 night or more in a suite would give you 24 credits. Your ninth cruise, no matter what cat or lentgth, would bump you into the 25+ credits so it wouldn't be until your tenth cruise you that you would be Elite+

What did they do when they introduced Diamond + on RCL? Did Diamond get a demotion or did they add goodies? I suspect it'll be something similure

I've heard that Celebrity is going to reverse the rewards program.If you sign up for the Premium beverage package on five successive cruises ,totaling 35 nights,you become an Elite imbiber and you are entitled to a free seven night cruise.

What did they do when they introduced Diamond + on RCL? Did Diamond get a demotion or did they add goodies? I suspect it'll be something similure

Something about an asteroid hitting anyone who complained...

the survivors got the lounge.

Hi Everyone,

At this point, it appears that changes to Captains Club are ahead - possibly later this year. What happens beyond that, is anyone's guess. As I've mentioned previously, I'm somewhat concerned the Elite Lounge might be something Celebrity is reviewing, as it must be costing them a fortune. It would be an easy target for the accounting folks. With the ever growing number of Elites... as the current benefit stands - the math may not work.

I'm wondering if Celebrity might consider moving to a permanent coupon system for Elites... perhaps offering 1 or 2 daily drink coupons per guest, while continuing with the Lounge for Elite Plus and above, if & when it happens. This is all speculation - but this type of scenario makes sense. This way, Celebrity saves big $$$, and Elite members do not lose the entire benefit. I realize if anything like this were to happen - it's a bitter pill to swallow, but it seems like a fair compromise. Another option might be to grandfather current Elites, so anything is possible.

Speaking of drink coupons, issuing them on selected sailings is a must when there's a large number of Elites onboard. However, I believe it's more than necessity. It might be a test, to determine if the coupon system can work successfully in a real time environment, before going any further.

BTW, about shipboard rumors... over the years, I've heard hundreds of "sure things", that never came to reality :). I'd rather wait to pass judgement on any potential changes, until we hear the details from Celebrity.

Hi Everyone,

At this point, it appears that changes to Captains Club are ahead - possibly later this year. What happens beyond that, is anyone's guess. As I've mentioned previously, I'm somewhat concerned the Elite Lounge might be something Celebrity is reviewing, as it must be costing them a fortune. It would be an easy target for the accounting folks. With the ever growing number of Elites... as the current benefit stands - the math may not work.

I'm wondering if Celebrity might consider moving to a permanent coupon system for Elites... perhaps offering 1 or 2 daily drink coupons per guest, while continuing with the Lounge for Elite Plus and above, if & when it happens. This is all speculation - but this type of scenario makes sense. This way, Celebrity saves big $$$, and Elite members do not lose the entire benefit. I realize if anything like this were to happen - it's a bitter pill to swallow, but it seems like a fair compromise. Another option might be to grandfather current Elites, so anything is possible.

Speaking of drink coupons, issuing them on selected sailings is a must when there's a large number of Elites onboard. However, I believe it's more than necessity. It might be a test, to determine if the coupon system can work successfully in a real time environment, before going any further.

BTW, about shipboard rumors... over the years, I've heard hundreds of "sure things", that never came to reality :). I'd rather wait to pass judgement on any potential changes, until we hear the details from Celebrity.

I'd love to see the grandfathering clause, perhaps with a time limit for those close to Elite to complete cruises to be included.

Like you said, it's all speculation, but it's fun to guess what's in the works isn't it? :D

I'd love to see the grandfathering clause, perhaps with a time limit for those close to Elite to complete cruises to be included.

Like you said, it's all speculation, but it's fun to guess what's in the works isn't it? :D

I agree with you. I would feel sorry for someone who has 8 or 9 credits and then doesn't get Elite on their next cruise. Maybe give them the first 6 months of 2014 to complete cruise and/or cruises to make Elite or if they have the cruise that would make them Elite already booked, then they would become Elite. Same would go for those close to an Elite+, if they do that.

Hi Everyone,

Andy, I agree with you that who knows what will happen. Also agree they may consider a coupon program for Elites and allow Elite plus to have a lounge. But, at the end of the day who knows.

What I doubt very much is Celebrity will do the same thing Royal did in 2009 by offering wine and champagne only for those who had reached Diamond status. As we all know that was a PR nightmare and Royal is again offering a Diamond Lounge on most of there ships.

What makes it more complicated for Celebrity is the ease of becoming Elite. Five cruises or less in a CC cabin makes you Elite.

I can't remember a time over the past few years when there weren't any rumors of imminent Captain's Club changes. I think even immediately after the last time there were some changes a few years ago there were still rumors that there would be some additional changes announced "soon". These rumors inevitably come for a "reliable source" on board the ships.

The only thing these rumors usually result in is a lot of interesting speculation on these boards with the posters split between those looking forward to the rumored changes and those dreading them.

Don't you think they'll grandfather in those who have reached Elite? Would be a PR nightmare if they took away perks.

We joined CC in 1992, 3 Ships, and there were only 12,000 members, we have seen a number of changes, our number now has 9 digits. First change they added the tag 'Founders'. Didn't see anything different, but it was neat.

Change happens, the product is still the reason we 'choose' Celebrity, not for a couple of 'free' well pours.

Well said

Do not forget that it was easier to get D on RCL with the "Double up December" where every 'cruise credit' was doubled, with no consideration to actual days. Then with the RCL D you become E with CC. I feel it is the D's which become E's that swell the flood in the CC Lounge. Then the D's double up again in December to become D+ in no time and then flood the CL on RCL. Where will it all end?

Archived