Perks, who needs them? Apparently we do.

Beachdude

There was a lively debate yesterday of whether past customers really need perks to remain loyal to Carnival. An article came out this morning on the Fox News site "Cruises get good buzz from new ships, overhauls" that suggest perks are needed.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2013/05/15/with-new-ships-and-overhauls-cruises-finally-getting-some-good-buzz-amid-bad/#ixzz2TSjzlNWU

One comment from CC editor Carolyn Spencer said: "

"When you start focusing on shiny new ships with funky, fun, new amenities and features, the market comes back," said CruiseCritic.com editor Carolyn Spencer Brown. "There's a lot to talk about that is really interesting and really exciting. I'm glad the conversation is shifting."

It seems the whole cruise industry is trying to kick it up a knotch to maintain and attract new customers.

Burt

Perks are part of the whole package.

Since we have had free laundry we take one large suitcase for a 7-8 day cruise and not two.

Get on and off the ship at our leisure.

All things being equal doesnt that give us at least some reason to come back.

After a first cruise, there is a return rate of 93%. That is a huge incentive to go after first timers but then also means you really don't have to encourage them to go cruising again. It is just a matter of having them cruise with you again.

There was a lively debate yesterday of whether past customers really need perks to remain loyal to Carnival. An article came out this morning on the Fox News site "Cruises get good buzz from new ships, overhauls" that suggest perks are needed.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2013/05/15/with-new-ships-and-overhauls-cruises-finally-getting-some-good-buzz-amid-bad/#ixzz2TSjzlNWU

"When you start focusing on shiny new ships with funky, fun, new amenities and features, the market comes back," said CruiseCritic.com editor Carolyn Spencer Brown. "There's a lot to talk about that is really interesting and really exciting. I'm glad the conversation is shifting."

It seems the whole cruise industry is trying to kick it up a knotch to maintain and attract new customers.

Burt

The article doesn't discuss past passenger perks at all. It does discuss that the lines are coming out with newer and better attractions to attact new cruisers since those of us who are already addicted to cruising will keep doing so even without any changes. In truith those of us who are cruise fanatics would still cruise without any perks at all but just might not be as loyal to one cruise line. I find that I tend to define cruises as extra special if there is an unexpected perk. We tend to feel "entitled" to the perks that are published but how would you feel if a cruise line gave you something you were not expecting for no reason other than to please you. More special right?

The article doesn't discuss past passenger perks at all. It does discuss that the lines are coming out with newer and better attractions to attact new cruisers since those of us who are already addicted to cruising will keep doing so even without any changes. In truith those of us who are cruise fanatics would still cruise without any perks at all but just might not be as loyal to one cruise line. I find that I tend to define cruises as extra special if there is an unexpected perk. We tend to feel "entitled" to the perks that are published but how would you feel if a cruise line gave you something you were not expecting for no reason other than to please you. More special right?

I agree. It is interesting all the buzz with the newest ships (Quantum, Breakaway and even abck to Oasis, Allure and Epic) is not so much about cruising but the "perks" like skydiving, ziplining, merry go rounds, Ice bars etc.. Maybe a "better" cruise experience is defined by these things for new cruisers? Certainly not for me:confused:

After a first cruise, there is a return rate of 93%. That is a huge incentive to go after first timers but then also means you really don't have to encourage them to go cruising again. It is just a matter of having them cruise with you again.
I know that has specifically been their logic (Carnival brass) up to this point. Betcha there is some head scratching when they have a very negative publicity event (and they have had a few) and that market dries up and suddenly they are having to make friends and family closeout sales to get past guests to fill the berths.

I could care less about Zip-Lining or any of the other new CRAP!!! that the newer ships have!!!:eek:

Bring back live bands and the good shows.:D

We cruise for the rest and relaxation, hearing a Steel Drum or some sweet island music just makes the whole thing come together!!! (IMO):cool:

Everyone likes something different and that's O.K. with me, I have stated what I like and I feel better!!!:D C.G.

Bring back live bands and the good shows.:D

C.G.

Are those things not considered perks?

It's kind of funny, there was a discussion not to long ago about the RCI Oasis of the Seas. The vast majority of forum members willing to look read about it wanted to give it a try at least once. Those who have cruised it said it was a great experience and wanted to go again.

I've concluded that no matter how much folks want to say they won't to try new stuff, they are lying to themselves. New stuff is fun and an adventure. If you really feel you must be loyal to your favorite cruise line, then just don't tell anyone that you strayed to tried something new and fun. Life is too short to let our pride hold us back from the fun.

Burt

Are those things not considered perks?

It's kind of funny, there was a discussion not to long ago about the RCI Oasis of the Seas. The vast majority of forum members willing to look read about it wanted to give it a try at least once. Those who have cruised it said it was a great experience and wanted to go again.

I've concluded that no matter how much folks want to say they won't to try new stuff, they are lying to themselves. New stuff is fun and an adventure. If you really feel you must be loyal to your favorite cruise line, then just don't tell anyone that you strayed to tried something new and fun. Life is too short to let our pride hold us back from the fun.

Burt

I don't consider them "perks". They are extra things to do. We're seniors and couldn't care less about rock climbing, ziplining, etc. :eek: Maybe if we'd cruised when we were younger we would have been interested in those features.

In my opinion, perks are things like Priority Boarding, etc. from loyalty to the cruiseline.

Ive done Oasis twice and thought it was really interesting. I didnt like all the computer interaction on the tv and being provided with a keyboard I think will intimidate some. Like prebooking shows and then having to figure out where you should be that night. The first cruise was like that.. the 2nd more comforatable.

I have heard some awesome things that Epic compares well with Oasis and Allure enough that I plan on trying it next year and Allure.

I never did get all this loyalty to one cruiseline stuff or having people post on here they wouldnt try new things, because they felt disloyal to Carnival. I will never cruise for the perks which can be changed at any time.

I don't consider them "perks". They are extra things to do. We're seniors and couldn't care less about rock climbing, ziplining, etc. :eek: Maybe if we'd cruised when we were younger we would have been interested in those features.

In my opinion, perks are things like Priority Boarding, etc. from loyalty to the cruiseline.

If you are too old to enjoy a ice skating show, or a high dive show with olymic and world renowned divers, or just watching the surfing zone and people wiping out and laughing. A real Broadway play, not just a collection of songs and dancers, but a real one they pay royalties on. New food experiences. I feel sorry for people who say they are too old to enjoy new stuff on ships. Im no spring chicken. I wanted to zip line but decided I better not since Ive broken both collar bones.

If I get this old .. just shoot me. Im done cruising anyway if I just want to sit around and do nothing except get on a ship early.

If you are too old to enjoy a ice skating show, or a high dive show with olymic and world renowned divers, or just watching the surfing zone and people wiping out and laughing. A real Broadway play, not just a collection of songs and dancers, but a real one they pay royalties on. New food experiences. I feel sorry for people who say they are too old to enjoy new stuff on ships. Im no spring chicken. I wanted to zip line but decided I better not since Ive broken both collar bones.

If I get this old .. just shoot me. Im done cruising anyway if I just want to sit around and do nothing except get on a ship early.

Guess we're not too old to observe but not participate in some of those adventures.

Perks definitely play a part in my future plans my next cruise will be on the NCL Gem to Canada on the same day the Glory leaves it will cost me at the time I booked the same for an outside single on Gem what an inside single would cost on the Glory the Platinum perks on NCL are IMHO better than the diamond perks on CCL also the itin on NCL is better a 125 deposit vs 500 on CCL

I agree. I'm not interested in zip lining or rock climbing either. But hey, someone I travel with may be. It's "things to do" and thank goodness for the variety and the choices. It's what enables a group of people to go together and everyone have a good time. Or repeat cruisers try new things if they want - or look forward to the same things they always do on a cruise. It's a personal choice and decsion. I hate blanket statements.

I didn't know a thing about FTTF until I joined this board. Nor did I know anything about the revised VIFP program. Didn't matter much to me. If I want to cruise, I'll go regardless of any of that. From what I've read, the perks of FTTF don't diminish the perks you get with platinum and diamond. And I haven't seen anything so fantastic regarding perks themselves that they alone keep cruisers coming back. They do it because they like this type of vacation. Not because a perk gets you to your room faster or you can get a load of laundry done on the house. :rolleyes:

I agree. It is interesting all the buzz with the newest ships (Quantum, Breakaway and even abck to Oasis, Allure and Epic) is not so much about cruising but the "perks" like skydiving, ziplining, merry go rounds, Ice bars etc.. Maybe a "better" cruise experience is defined by these things for new cruisers? Certainly not for me:confused:

this stuff would be fun if travelling with kids or young people, but it's much too amusement park themed for me. Plus, is all this stuff included in your cruise price or extra? just wondering.

this stuff would be fun if travelling with kids or young people, but it's much too amusement park themed for me. Plus, is all this stuff included in your cruise price or extra? just wondering.
I tease one of my son in laws (who is Diamond Plus on RCCL) that they are changing the name from RCCL to Six Flags.:D They got us to join a group they are on the Oasis mext March, so we will see. I know that they charge for some of them (the extra thing mentioned, but I am not an expert by any means). I was not trying to make this the "ole" CCL vs RCCL arguement (there is way to much of that here, rather that "perks" mean different things to different people.

Perks definitely play a part in my future plans my next cruise will be on the NCL Gem to Canada on the same day the Glory leaves it will cost me at the time I booked the same for an outside single on Gem what an inside single would cost on the Glory the Platinum perks on NCL are IMHO better than the diamond perks on CCL also the itin on NCL is better a 125 deposit vs 500 on CCL

I have cruised both NCL and CCL and the one thing I notice on the NCL is the price might be less to start, but once you start adding all the extra dining charges it will cost more. Also, the cabins on NCL are smaller than CCL.

Ive done Oasis twice and thought it was really interesting. I didnt like all the computer interaction on the tv and being provided with a keyboard I think will intimidate some. Like prebooking shows and then having to figure out where you should be that night. The first cruise was like that.. the 2nd more comforatable.

I have heard some awesome things that Epic compares well with Oasis and Allure enough that I plan on trying it next year and Allure.

I never did get all this loyalty to one cruiseline stuff or having people post on here they wouldnt try new things, because they felt disloyal to Carnival. I will never cruise for the perks which can be changed at any time.

More comfortable because you were used to it or they ironed the kinks out? Just curious.

We sailed her in November. Mom wanted to try a new ship. It was a beautiful ship. Was it for me? Not really. Loved loved loved the shows. Hated that outside deck space was less than plentiful. Did the zip line (all of us) and had fun while doing it. 15 yr old DD climbed the rock wall numerous times.

Was it a better exprience? Not for us. We paid a lot more for this 7 day western caribbean cruise than we would have paid for Carnival. Do we regret it? Nope. We were on a cruise! Would I do it again if price and itinerary were right? Sure...it's a cruise! LOL

That said, I think we all cruise for different reasons and it's great that we get a choice.

Burt

I was part of that debate, but I'm not sure how the article adds to that. Spencer is saying that they are upping their game in regards to bigger and better, not improving the loyalty program.

When I spoke about perks yesterday, I used the term to define the things available to Gold or Platinum members that others might not get or have to pay for. I wasn't talking about a live band.

That being said, the way CCL's Loyalty program is right now, I have no incentive to stay with them-especially if RCCL is going to offer me Rock Climbing Walls, ziplines, etc. BUT, that's what we like to do, especially when we travel with our children. We want wild, crazy fun...not everyone does.

You want to give me something to make me come back-how about reducing the deposit if I book a fourth cruise with you. HOw about offering my boys free soda packages, if my husband and I get the Cheers program?

How about making the different levels based on dollar amount. One point for one dollar.

The 21-35 age demographics are the future long term customers that the newer ships are designed to target. They are not "their parents" cruisers and have different expectations and their vision of a cruise vacation the cruise line understands has to be marketed in a different manner

I would wager to bet, that the very first cruiseline that one experiences, is the line that one becomes loyal to and perks are just a way to enhance that relationship

Guess we're not too old to observe but not participate in some of those adventures.

thats what I think. Ive never been on NCL but heard good things about Epic, so I want to see what people are talking about.

I hear from people, Oh I stick with the same line because I dont want to start over with perks.

Perks are nice.. any free stuff is nice. But Im not going to let perks or the lack thereof decide if I should try a ship I have never explored before. I wouldnt get VIP emabarkation or nothing my first time on NCL .. but I should survive.

I had a breakfast with a funny guy on Conquest last Nov who only did Carnival who pulled out his card and it was white.. he didnt even know he was a diamond. I had to tell him. Then he asked me which was higher diamond or platinum. After that he gave me a lecture about only doing the same cruiseline for the perks. I went to that past guest party and as a diamond they called him up to the stage and asked him what his next cruise was .. (sound of crickets chirping) . he didnt know the name of the ship!!! but knew it was next Feb!!. I would guess he was in his late 70s at least.. I just smiled when he told me about how I needed to be more like him and stick with Carnival. I enjoyed talking to him as he told me if I would quit doing other cruiselines I could be just like him and be diamond.

In our case fire, it's not loyality. It's the fact that we enjoy Carnival. We tried RCI and never had anywhere near the fun we've had on Carnival ships. Some on here have suggested that we give them another try. For the price of cruising and flying into embarkation ports, we only cruise once every two years. That's too much of an investment to have the same thing happen again. We'll stick with Carnival because we like them, not because we're loyal to them.

Firefly, if you read what they said, they do not want to do zipling, etc-never said they did not want to watch. They did not say they were too old to enjoy, maybe just not doing physical things and having prior injuries-like you with your collar bone and me with my knee replacements.

I have been off CC for a while, but some people who make comments all the time have not changed. Also, if all a cruiser wants to do is sit around and relax and board early,they have the right to, like the person who wants to drink alot-all a personal choice and not for anyone to suggest it is not as right as what others choose to do(as long as they do not hurt anyone else) and maybe give up cruising.Life is good and cruising is for all who want to.:D

Archived