Thank you one and all!

This is quite a remarkable group. Those of us who grew up well before the Internet was in everyone's house (probably most on this board) will understand when I say that the thing that stuns me most about the Internet is the willingness of strangers to help one another. I've seen it over and over. No personal gain is likely, no awards will be given, no public accolades are in the offing. Just people helping people because they're nice folks. Simple as that.

Case in point: I was wandering through Cruise Critic these past few days because of my RC Caribbean cruise set for November and I've been Jonesing for the day to arrive. The cost was pricey, but my husband and I were nevertheless excited at the prospect of another cruise. As I read through various threads I saw that someone mentioned that November's Transatlantic cruises dropped significantly in price.

Hmmm...

Then I saw another thread discussing OBCs and C&A balcony discounts (which I hadn't been given on the original booking for reasons unknown). I asked, and learned that my $150 OBC - from placing the original reservation while on a previous cruise - could be transferred if I wanted to the TA instead. I just needed to term this as a "change" rather than cancelling and rebooking. The balcony discount would also be applicable.

Long story short: I changed my 11 night cruise that was going to cost $3828 for two of us in a balcony room to a 14 night TA for $1083 for two. Also balcony.

I read up on the threads that volunteered experiences that people had about Choice Air. BAM! (As Emeril might say.) Another several hundred dollar savings.

The bottom line is that I "changed" my reservation to something I only dreamed of before. Even with airfare and a hotel in Barcelona (BARCELONA!!!! - For all of us who have never before traversed "The Pond" - I repeat, BARCELONA!!!!), the TA trip will still cost us $1500 less than just doing the Caribbean.

Thank you all for the big & little things you suggest, volunteer and explain. You are a Godsend to many who are not as well versed in all things RCC. I will continue to haunt these boards to learn more about how to make this vacation even more magical. Indeed, I will surely thank my lucky stars many times during our upcoming vacation for having stumbled across all of you on Cruise Critic.

Awesome deal! I agree with you- I cruised for years without knowing about CC; and have saved a bundle since form all the info gleaned here!:D

Happy cruising!

I agree! I cruised 16 times before discovering CC. Imagine how much more of an addict I would have been if...Oh well that's another thread I guess. LOL

My sentiments exactly and great deal OP! I'd also like thank everyone who have given so much to the boards. A personal thanks to Cruisenfever/Patti, clarea/Bob, RedNancy, Merion Mom - and a few more I can't think of atm - who I rely on for great information.

Often times it seems too easy to complain, yet we seldom take the time to give credit .... how lovely that you took the time to do so!

I found CC before our first cruise and I have spent hours checking these boards ... It has saved quite a bit of money over the years .... and I have met some of the most wonderful friends at different meet & mingles!

Enjoy Barcelona ... someday I will get there! Jan

This is quite a remarkable group. Those of us who grew up well before the Internet was in everyone's house (probably most on this board) will understand when I say that the thing that stuns me most about the Internet is the willingness of strangers to help one another. I've seen it over and over. No personal gain is likely, no awards will be given, no public accolades are in the offing. Just people helping people because they're nice folks. Simple as that.

Case in point: I was wandering through Cruise Critic these past few days because of my RC Caribbean cruise set for November and I've been Jonesing for the day to arrive. The cost was pricey, but my husband and I were nevertheless excited at the prospect of another cruise. As I read through various threads I saw that someone mentioned that November's Transatlantic cruises dropped significantly in price.

Hmmm...

Then I saw another thread discussing OBCs and C&A balcony discounts (which I hadn't been given on the original booking for reasons unknown). I asked, and learned that my $150 OBC - from placing the original reservation while on a previous cruise - could be transferred if I wanted to the TA instead. I just needed to term this as a "change" rather than cancelling and rebooking. The balcony discount would also be applicable.

Long story short: I changed my 11 night cruise that was going to cost $3828 for two of us in a balcony room to a 14 night TA for $1083 for two. Also balcony.

I read up on the threads that volunteered experiences that people had about Choice Air. BAM! (As Emeril might say.) Another several hundred dollar savings.

The bottom line is that I "changed" my reservation to something I only dreamed of before. Even with airfare and a hotel in Barcelona (BARCELONA!!!! - For all of us who have never before traversed "The Pond" - I repeat, BARCELONA!!!!), the TA trip will still cost us $1500 less than just doing the Caribbean.

Thank you all for the big & little things you suggest, volunteer and explain. You are a Godsend to many who are not as well versed in all things RCC. I will continue to haunt these boards to learn more about how to make this vacation even more magical. Indeed, I will surely thank my lucky stars many times during our upcoming vacation for having stumbled across all of you on Cruise Critic.

What goes around comes around. After you get back from Barcelona, you will be one of the people helping others with all their questions about TA's, Barcelona, Euros, etc.:)

My experience also proves that great value can be gleaned from reading CC threads whose subjects don't seem especially relevant to your own circumstances.

You just never know where and when you might strike a goldmine of info in these discussions. They have a tendency to wander into the most interesting of directions. :D

We had been on 3 cruises before I learned of CC and the information, advice I have received over the years has been tremendous. Starsong, you will love Barcelona, we made our first trip in Oct 2010 for a TA on the LOS. From what I have learned on CC I now enjoy passing along information to others new to CC & cruising.:) Ports of Call and other Roll Calls can provide valuable information.

Archived