Allocation of guarantee cabins

kruzgal

We have just made our first booking using a US TA (we are UK based) and our first guarantee booking and are extremely happy with the way things worked out. However, the whole experience got me thinking.

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 teens and we booked 2 balcony guarantee cabins. At the time of booking I could see there were plenty of cabins left, and lots of 1A, 1B and 1C that were nearby/next to one another. Our 2 cabins were linked at the time of booking. When our cabins were originally assigned they were 2B and were quite far apart, but our TA managed to move them and then a day or so later we moved again (within the same category) to interconnecting cabins, so as I said we are happy.

It just made me think perhaps there could be a better policy on this. After Concordia it would be nice to think every effort would be made to keep families as near as possible, and yet this wasn't the case when we were originally assigned. We were given the lowest grade left (2B) as opposed to cabins that were next/near (1C) which I know were available. I wouldn't expect to move up a grade (i.e. oceanview to balcony) but I think it would be good if proximity to family was prioritised when allocating guarantee cabins.

It sounds like your TA and Celebrity went WAY above the call of duty here, since your cruise contract was agreeing to two randomly assigned cabins of any (or even varying) category and location. That's what a guarantee cabin is and it exists as a reduced rate because you lose the opportunity to choose your location and lets the company fill in random cabins throughout the ship.

You say We were given the lowest grade left (2B) as opposed to cabins that were next/near (1C) which I know were available. and that is completely true because that's what a guarantee cabin is - something less desirable that Celebrity doesn't think is going to sell.

So I completely disagree that families should get special treatment when booking a guarantee and should pay the going rate for the two cabins they need near each other. Everyone else has to pay when choosing a cabin, and it isn't always the person who just wants to be in an extended balcony. Should we give special guarantee rates to people who have bad knees and need to be on a particular deck or near the elevators, too?

You are lucky that Celebrity has a habit of assigning them early; some lines you get your assignment after final payment, when you are printing your docs, or even at the pier. Some lines don't let you change once it's assigned either.

If you were REALLY concerned after the Concordia accident, you would have chosen your own staterooms from the get-go, so don't bring that mess up in here as fodder or to pull at people's heartstrings. That's the same sort of B.S. that activist groups do to try and sway people towards their opinions.

Actually you are very lucky you got connecting cabins at all on a guarantee rate. If the ship was closer to capacity, this wouldn't be very likely. And yes, you need to book one adult in each stateroom with a teenager, so if you hadn't gotten connecting cabins, it could have been a problem. A guarantee isn't wise under these circumstances, although it worked out for you this time. You might not be so lucky the next time, so do keep that in mind.

It just made me think perhaps there could be a better policy on this. After Concordia it would be nice to think every effort would be made to keep families as near as possible, and yet this wasn't the case when we were originally assigned. We were given the lowest grade left (2B) as opposed to cabins that were next/near (1C) which I know were available. I wouldn't expect to move up a grade (i.e. oceanview to balcony) but I think it would be good if proximity to family was prioritised when allocating guarantee cabins.

I totally disagree; if it is important for the customer to have nearby staterooms then do not book a guarantee. A guarantee is a compromise where the customer receives a discounted price and an increased chance of an upgrade in exchange for giving up say in which specific room they will be assigned. Flexible passengers are able to save money and the cruise line is able to offload undesirable staterooms as well as choose what staterooms and categories to leave open for sale. I am actually surprised the cruise line often permits people to move around to staterooms of the same category once assigned and would not be surprised if they cease permitting this at some point in the future.

I think some of the responses are a little harsh. Yes when booking a guarantee cabin grade you have to accept what you are given. But this then excludes families who wish to be adjacent. It costs the cruise company absolutely nothing to allocate adjacent canins if they are available. If they are not then so be it.

We travel with my disabled mum in a seperate cabin with my sister sharing. Mum doesnt need an adapted cabin but she, and my sister, like the reassurance that we are right next door if needed (and we have been needed before) Which of course cannot be guaranteed on a guarantee cabin basis.

In a way the lower guarantee fares discriminate against families and the disabled by denying them access to those lower fares should they have some modest needs and forces them to pay the higher fares.

I know many disagree and thats fine but a little flexibility by a cruise line when allocating guarantee cabins wouldnt really be that much of an issue for them.

I think some of the responses are a little harsh. Yes when booking a guarantee cabin grade you have to accept what you are given. But this then excludes families who wish to be adjacent. It costs the cruise company absolutely nothing to allocate adjacent canins if they are available. If they are not then so be it.

We travel with my disabled mum in a seperate cabin with my sister sharing. Mum doesnt need an adapted cabin but she, and my sister, like the reassurance that we are right next door if needed (and we have been needed before) Which of course cannot be guaranteed on a guarantee cabin basis.

In a way the lower guarantee fares discriminate against families and the disabled by denying them access to those lower fares should they have some modest needs and forces them to pay the higher fares.

Discrimination? Seriously?!?!?!?! :rolleyes: :mad:

And it absolutely DOES cost the cruise line money if they were to upgrade people who booked a guarantee to keep them together, or allocate close by rooms that might easier be sold at non-guarantee prices, or if they have to assign people in a more desirable location to keep them near.

Not sure about the sense of entitlement some seem to have, that they should be able to book a guarantee but be assigned in a manner preferential to them. That is NOT how it works.

Kevinyork, I agree that the responses were very direct and blunt (not sure if they were necessarily harsh- matter of opinion). But I totally disagree that there is any discrimination. To allow special assignments for the categories you mention might be considered discrimination against those who do NOT have those special circumstances. Why should someone who happens to be part of a family be upgraded from the lowest category just because they need two rooms?? That is certainly not fair to the other passengers who bought guarantees. One could argue that letting a 3rd and 4th person in a room at a much lower fare (ie, a family) discriminates against couples because they each need to pay full fare. Where would it end??? There is no way life can be totally fair for everyone - being disabled isn't fair in the first place heaven knows. When one books a guarantee it is supposed to be truly luck of the draw (although the way I have seen some assigned I would argue it really is done that way- brand new cruisers always seem to get the big upgrades). The fact that Celebrity will in fact let you move within categories is going above and beyond I think. One should not book that category and expect more.

Thank you Kevin...exactly what I was saying. There are so many different scenarios where this policy could be appropriate e.g. if I was travelling with elderly parents. It isn't just about families. As things stand guarantee cabins are for couples only and the 'linking together of 2 bookings' clearly means very little. It would cost nothing for Celebrity to have a more sensible approach to the allocation, that's all I'm saying.

Linking the reservations means that your dining assignments will be at the same table and bills can be put on one account, not that you will be assigned nearby staterooms.

Just curious, if you hadn't gotten connecting staterooms, you were prepared to have you and your spouse split up sO one of you would be in each room, weren't you? :rolleyes::confused:

It is nice to think that everything will end up with the best possible scenario. But if you look at the whole complexity of a cruise line I think that you would understand that as much as they try to accomodate everyone it is not like the "Love Boat" Just think of all of the cruises, and passengers that a cruise line has to book. It is far more than one cruise, one ship, for one family. In all fairness when you take a guarantee you run the risk of taking what you get. There may be joining cabins availabe but they may be saving them for passengers paying the premium for the privilege to choose. And do you really think that X has someone that is searching thru all of the guarantees lookingodor a family that needs adjoining cabins if they are available. It would be a nightmare, and really not feasible.

Would you complain if one cabin was a nice balcony and the other a penthouse suite if they weren't adjoined?

Hopefully your dining assignments will be at the same time and table.

I agree with the other posters and don't think they are being harsh. Guarantee means that you get what you get, period. That's why the cabins are so much cheaper.

If you need to be in specific cabins, then you pay the additional cost to select your own room. It's not discrimination! They are offering you a deal to forego choosing your cabin. You generally can't have it both ways and I think you were very lucky to be able to get connecting cabins at a guarantee price. You should be very happy.

Guaranteed cabins are for very flexible people and only for flexible (or in some cases, desperate;)) people.

People who are picky about location should carefully chose their cabin locations, paying more as necessary to get the right cabin. The reason one is picky about location matters not...whether adjacent cabins, family issues, seasickness, preferring a certain view, preferring a quiet cabin, wanting to be close to elevator, wanting a high deck, wanting a low deck, wanting whatever....inflexible is inflexible. Booking a gty means giving up any and all those wishes, presumably for a lower price...and perhaps for a vague hope of an upgrade.

The rate on gty cabins tend to be cheaper because the cruiser is giving the cruisline flexibility in exchange for a lower price. If the cruiser demands his location "needs" be respected, the cruiseline has gained nothing for the discounted price...and worst the cruiser may post on cruisecritic, encouraging others to book gty while expecting to dictate cabin location or configuration.

I am glad the OP's TA went to bat for the OP and it all worked out. But do not count on it working out the same way next time if the OP again books two gty cabins.

When I'm not concerned about where I'll be sleeping and who I'll be next to, I am free to book a guarantee. When I need to be near the kids, near family or friends, etc, or just feeling picky, I pay extra to choose my preferred location. Simple Econ 101.

It IS NOT discrimination to NOT place guarantee cabin passengers next to one another. IMHO, Celebrity goes above and beyond in letting passengers who pay the discounted guarantee price move to a new location after assignments are made.

In fact, they are not required by the contract that we all sign to keep even passengers who choose their cabin (and pay to do so) in the cabins originally assigned. They normally do so, but we hear all the time of passengers who put down a deposit early and received a call that their assignment had changed for some reason. Normally it comes with a gift from the cruise line, but doesn't have to.

Sorry, get over it. If you pay guarantee rates, you probably booked late and paid less. I've done it too, and been pleased with the outcome, but didn't feel the need to complain about my allocation since I got what I paid for.

You didn't complain and said you were happy with what you got -- my point was that it was great that you got the connecting rooms, but that's not something that would probably happen again, and that passengers need to be prepared to split families up if the rooms they are assigned are far apart.

We have just made our first booking using a US TA (we are UK based) and our first guarantee booking and are extremely happy with the way things worked out. However, the whole experience got me thinking.

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 teens and we booked 2 balcony guarantee cabins. At the time of booking I could see there were plenty of cabins left, and lots of 1A, 1B and 1C that were nearby/next to one another. Our 2 cabins were linked at the time of booking. When our cabins were originally assigned they were 2B and were quite far apart, but our TA managed to move them and then a day or so later we moved again (within the same category) to interconnecting cabins, so as I said we are happy.

Please-

Were you obligated to book with 1 adult in each of your 2 rooms?

If so, there will be an adult accessible to each teen if there is an emergency.

Further, if you plan on placing the teens together so the 2 adults can be in the same room, that's your choice and isn't something for which the cruise line should provide special treatment.

Where did I complain about what I got?:confused:

You didn't complain. You are really fortunate because everything worked out for you. I really like to chose the location of our rooms and will never book a guarantee cabin. You are going to like the configuration of connecting cabins in Celebrity. Hope you enjoy your cruise. :)

Archived