Help! I have a non-communicating TA

I rarely use a travel agent, but this one offered lots of OBC so I transferred the bookings I had made myself, on board another ship, to her. She works for one of those "big box" online vacation companies with HQ in FL

I have dealt with big online companies before and have never had the total lack of communication I have had from this one. I leave messages. I send emails. She does not respond.

I finally got hold of her yesterday and she promised to do something for me and would email me the new paperwork. No email, no paperwork and no change to my reservation. I called again today and left a message about the lack of communication and asked her to reply either by phone or even by email. No reply.

I want to have the company transfer my reservations to another TA in their stable. How do I go about doing this?

Hello Janet,

I had been using a TA that never responded either. I would ask for a supervisor. Last year I booked a $30,000 cruise for some of my massage clients. The agent took the booking then didn't do anything after that. Every time she sent an email it was wrong. I finally called the general number and asked for a manager now. It took 45 minutes but got everything straight. A lot of work for a cruise I wasn't even going on. Good luck.Candy

I have asked for a manager in the past, but none ever responded, even though the person who took my request said someone would get back in a few hours.

I will try again next week to reach a supervisor. This time I will not wait for a call back, but insist on someone NOW.

This is so frustrating! Definitely the last time I deal with this agency and I cruise so much that my car has a license plate holder that says "my other ride is a cruise ship"

I would go down to the office and chat face to face if it possible. There must be more then one telephone within the bussiness call the head office.

The office is in Florida and I'm in Texas. Short of taking a boat across the Gulf of Mexico, I don't think I can do that.:)

I booked through the same type of agency (also in FL). After my initial booking I have never talked to the original TA again. I have changed cabins, had to correct a name, and verify onboard credit. I have always just called the cust service number and asked whomever answered to help me, and they always do. Maybe try that?

If you have a cruise line-assigned reservation number,all you have to do is call the line and tell them that you want to reassign - or perhaps just continue on your own dealing directly with the line, most of whose representatives are responsive and helpful. As a rule, you should never deal with an on-line or otherwise remote agency; you cannot go to their office, much less get connected to a manager. Lot of these big box agencies really have NO office per se - you are dealing with their sub-agents who work from home.

You should press whoever your contact is for your cruise line reservation number, so you can move on. If you have already paid the agency a fair amount of money and they do not want to help you dump them, you just have to stick it out -- and next time know who you are dealing with.

Guest maddycat

I would google the travel agency to find the name and contact information of the CEO/president/owner of the agency. Then I would write a letter addressed to him about your problems with his agency. You might also be able to find an address listed on their website. But I would address any letter that you write to the CEO/president/owner.

Hi Kellie Poodle,

I believe we are both on the upcoming Brilliance TA. I live in Florida and sometimes use an agent and sometimes I just book on my own. I used one of the online agencies this time for the TA due to the OBC they offered. Actually this is the second time I've used them. I've had very good luck with this agency. Most of the agents do work in the Florida office, but they do have others that work from home around the country. My specific agent lives out west and I didn't even know it until last week. I've had nothing but great service. I've changed cabins now three times in the last three months and received nothing but great service. I've done half of my contact via email and half on the phone. She always gets back to me promptly. She even checks her email on her days off and will respond....even offered to handle something on her day off; however it wasn't pressing and I advised her to hit me up when she was back on duty the next day. Our friends decided to join us on this cruise about a month ago and when I called to get them booked she was actually on vacation for a long weekend, but a customer service agent reserved the cabin for 4 days until our agent was back in the office and could finalize the arrangements. So basically, I'm saying not all large agencies are bad, though there are some that I would not use again other than if they had a better rate on a last minute cruise.

In your case, I would call and insist on speaking with someone who could handle your change immediately and then go up the chain so you can internally move your reservation to another agent. I don't know the possibility of moving your reservation back to cruise line or another agency, but with the lack of service you are receiving, I think I may inquire about the possibility. Good Luck.

Thanks Shawn.

I did give them my already booked reservation for the hefty OBC they offered.

I don't want to take the reservation back at this late date, all I want is a little communication.

I have used other online agencies and they were fine. I think it's this particular agent, not the whole company.

There's been lots of good advice here. I will follow it.

Thanks all.

It is best to contact your cruise line as the process varies by cruise line how to transfer a booking from one TA to another. Please be aware that your TA might charge you a fee for moving the booking. The TA should have told you at the time you did the booking if there would be any fees for canceling with them.

Keith

I am so sorry for the problems that you are having. How frustrating!

I'd dump the agent fast in the best way possible as some have indicated above.

We use a local agent who specializes in cruises exclusively. On our first cruise, we met with him and his great advice led to a great cruise. Now, many cruises and years later, he is not only a great agent, but also a friend. He gives us generous OBC and gifts on board, arranges insurance,etc and also, pays attention to price drops and makes the adjustments.

Look for that kind of relationship or deal directly with the cruise line.

Last night I went to the agency's web site and sent them an email requesting some help with the non-communication issue.

This morning I got an email from another agent who had tried to call but I guess the DH was on the phone, so I called her (phone number in the email).

She picked up the phone immediately and understood my issues.

It took less than 5 minutes for her to resolve my issues. She also assured me that my final payment information was in their system and would be taking place on the appropriate dates.

She had to call me back twice, once on each issue, but she was prompt and courteous and best of all She "GOT IT DONE" :D

She also assured me I could call her at any time.

If I do use that agency again, it will be this gal I call.

Thanks to all for your support and help.

Just curious....what kind of "issues" is everyone talking about? We've been on dozens of cruises and TA has contacted us on occasion to advise that price went down, OBC has increased, we've been upgraded, ports of call had changed etc, etc but we've never had the need to contact our agent once we've booked.

I use PCC with the cruise line so whatever I need done, is done directly but 'issues' I can think of could be adding a new person to a booking, substituting one name for another, requesting dining assignment or changing same, questions as to special diet or disability assistance such as info re: wheelchair if client does not know direct line to such department at the cruise line. Perhaps they are unclear about insurance they have purchased from TA or wish to purchase it now. Perhaps they opted originally for cruise line transfers but now wants to cancel..... same for pre or post cruise cruise line hotel.

The list can get very lengthy. :)

Last night I went to the agency's web site and sent them an email requesting some help with the non-communication issue.

This morning I got an email from another agent who had tried to call but I guess the DH was on the phone, so I called her (phone number in the email).

She picked up the phone immediately and understood my issues.

It took less than 5 minutes for her to resolve my issues. She also assured me that my final payment information was in their system and would be taking place on the appropriate dates.

She had to call me back twice, once on each issue, but she was prompt and courteous and best of all She "GOT IT DONE" :D

She also assured me I could call her at any time.

If I do use that agency again, it will be this gal I call.

Thanks to all for your support and help.

I'm glad you finally were able to get the issue resolved and got an agent who is helpful, as an agent should be.

Snip.

As a rule, you should never deal with an on-line or otherwise remote agency; you cannot go to their office, much less get connected to a manager. Lot of these big box agencies really have NO office per se - you are dealing with their sub-agents who work from home.

You should press whoever your contact is for your cruise line reservation number, so you can move on.

Snip

Really? As a rule?

To get the "hefty obc" OP wanted you need to go to the on-line TAs. These outfits will almost always beat the net price the cruise line will give you. It isn't that hard to vet one of these agencies.

I don't really care where the agent sits when they are communicating with me, as long as they communicate. Also, my cruise line ressie number has been well documented on every invoice I have received for those cruises I booked with on on-line TA.

eta: Glad that OP got things resolved . . .

My issues:

1) I did not originally book the cruise with them and wanted to make sure that the credit card number I gave the other TA was, indeed, in their system for final payment next week. When I finally got the non-communicator she didn't even know that she didn't have the credit card number on file. Losing my cruises because final payment wasn't made on time is a BIG ISSUE

2) I had a lot of OBC from them and wanted to see if they could change it to pre-paid gratuities so that I would not miss being able to get MTD. The ship was filling quickly and I was afraid if I waited until boarding to make the switch, I might not be able to get MTD. With all that OBC, it didn't make sense to pre-pay gratuities with final payment.

The agent I spoke with today took care of everything, quickly and efficiently.

I use PCC with the cruise line so whatever I need done, is done directly but 'issues' I can think of could be adding a new person to a booking, substituting one name for another, requesting dining assignment or changing same, questions as to special diet or disability assistance such as info re: wheelchair if client does not know direct line to such department at the cruise line. Perhaps they are unclear about insurance they have purchased from TA or wish to purchase it now. Perhaps they opted originally for cruise line transfers but now wants to cancel..... same for pre or post cruise cruise line hotel.

The list can get very lengthy. :)

Adding: price went down, requested a new invoice with the lower price. Price went down after final payment, requested OBC (don't think they still do it)

Really? As a rule?

To get the "hefty obc" OP wanted you need to go to the on-line TAs. These outfits will almost always beat the net price the cruise line will give you. It isn't that hard to vet one of these agencies.

I don't really care where the agent sits when they are communicating with me, as long as they communicate. Also, my cruise line ressie number has been well documented on every invoice I have received for those cruises I booked with on on-line TA.

eta: Glad that OP got things resolved . . .

Thank you.

I used this TA for the very reason you stated: hefty OBC. I had extensive email with the NC (non-communicating) TA prior to transferring the bookings which I made myself on a ship so I already had some hefty OBC, plus some good will OBC from Celebrity from a prior cruise. I also insisted on filling out and faxing the transfer forms myself, as I've learned that sometimes these big TA organizations have slightly different forms than RCI has.

Before I transferred the reservation, I made sure that I had filed our "special needs" forms myself with RCI for both cruises. I also made her put in writing that if, at any time, I was not satisfied with their service (specifically honoring price drops), they would give me back my reservation. Everything is well documented and on paper! I'm not as dumb as I look :)

I did have one price drop and could not contact NC so I just called the main number and someone else put it through and sent me the documentation.

I now have the extension of the gal who called today and she'll be my go to person, if I have to contact them again.

Thank you.

I used this TA for the very reason you stated: hefty OBC. I had extensive email with the NC (non-communicating) TA prior to transferring the bookings which I made myself on a ship so I already had some hefty OBC, plus some good will OBC from Celebrity from a prior cruise. I also insisted on filling out and faxing the transfer forms myself, as I've learned that sometimes these big TA organizations have slightly different forms than RCI has.

Before I transferred the reservation, I made sure that I had filed our "special needs" forms myself with RCI for both cruises. I also made her put in writing that if, at any time, I was not satisfied with their service (specifically honoring price drops), they would give me back my reservation. Everything is well documented and on paper! I'm not as dumb as I look :)

I did have one price drop and could not contact NC so I just called the main number and someone else put it through and sent me the documentation.

I now have the extension of the gal who called today and she'll be my go to person, if I have to contact them again.

LOL Janet -- I'd be willing to bet that you know more about cruising than most TA's out there -- especially when it comes to travel insurance and special needs issues! :cool:

So glad to hear that you found someone at your new travel agency who will work with you. We have friends who swear by their TA's -- but, you couldn't pay me enough to hand over control of my reservation to a third party. Back when we first started cruising, we had a bad experience with a nationally known travel agency. We quickly learned that, when your TA makes a mistake, the cruise line won't talk to you about fixing it. That was enough for us -- we've done all our own booking for the last decade, with very few problems.

Now, if I could just convince DH to give me a big OBC for letting him handle the cruise booking ..... :p

PS -- Can you believe that it's been a year since our Hawaii cruise?

Archived