On Grandeur now..

I have an idea. Yesterday this thread was filled with us discussing the muster station issue. Why dont we start a new thread on passports so we wont hijack this one which is basically used for information on this incident and upcoming cruises for GR? Yes I know it is self serving since I have one coming up (maybe) but reading thru 8 pages of why people should have a passport isnt really what people are trying to look for.

Ill start it...

There is http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1836262 it is 24 pages :eek: and the poor old horse has been beaten beyond death. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking a good 3-4 weeks to get things in order... but I'm no expert.

Tom

Thanks Tom - I am hoping against all hope that the RC elves will work on it 24 hours/day to get it back ASAP.

I've been on hold with RC for 40 minutes now.......:( Today is also the booking day for Quantum for C&A members. I'm sure they're overwhelmed.

Thanks again,

Debbie

Will the parking fee be refunded?

I know the cruise line doesn't charge for parking. I'm just wondering if the cruise line will refund that fee.

We sailed the Splendour of the Seas when she was here in Galveston a few times and was aboard when she experienced a engine room fire. We were delayed returning to port about 8 hours.

The Port of Galveston didn't charge us for the extra time for parking and RCCL didn't reimburse our friends that changed air reservations home due to the delay.

Appreciate this was in 2004 and all the cruise industry has learned from past events.

How long do you think it would take to install new winches?

For the most part, the winches are steel, and will survive a fire quite well. There will be a need to clean out the burned grease from the bearings, and renew seals on the bearings, but for the most part, winch repair will not delay sailing. The problem will be getting carpet to match, and bulkhead and ceiling panels in the proper configuration and color, and things like the serving counters and bus stations fabricated in time. When a ship does a renovation in shipyard, this material has been ordered in advance, and is staged to the shipyard in advance. She may be ready in a week or so, but the decor may leave something to be desired.

Hi guys : ) I'm back and full of Kalik! We have to drink off the ship due to prt regulation. Anyway...I know you have see the pics and the compensation package is generous. Flying home tomm...not sure what time. I'm thinking OCMD for the rest of my 15th wedding anniversary? Sad but it could have been much much worse. Ran into Sonny...a few times over the cruise...thinking of roasting weinies off his melted aft balcony : ). Sorry for all of those that will share in our interrupted vacation sadness on cruises to come. We are having a buffet on the pool deck since we can't use the MDR.

Hey Dharma.... safe travels home!

Let us know when you are home, safe and sound.

To join in with the amateur fire investigators, my biggest question in guesstimating Grandeur's return to service would be when the cruise line will be released to begin repairs -- i.e. when will the investigators be finished.

And in my purely amateur status [i haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn Express in recent memory, but I have watched Backdraft, and we had a get together around our neighbor's fire pit Friday night], it looks to me like it was a smoky fire, but not necessarily that major or even that hot. To me that makes sense given that some of the combustibles in the area would be ropes in various states of dry-ness. It would also explain why it took a relatively long time to extinguish.

For the most part, the winches are steel, and will survive a fire quite well. There will be a need to clean out the burned grease from the bearings, and renew seals on the bearings, but for the most part, winch repair will not delay sailing. The problem will be getting carpet to match, and bulkhead and ceiling panels in the proper configuration and color, and things like the serving counters and bus stations fabricated in time. When a ship does a renovation in shipyard, this material has been ordered in advance, and is staged to the shipyard in advance. She may be ready in a week or so, but the decor may leave something to be desired.

This is what I'm thinking, absent major structural damage that we don't know about. There was no fuel other than things like rope/wood so the heat probably wasn't high enough to damage the steel - other than cosmetically.

I'd guess that the best decision business-wise would be to get the ship in good enough shape to sail without major inconvenience to their passengers. May mean that there may be a few areas aft that are off limits, or don't look as good as they would short term, but RC isn't going to throw away the millions they get in revenue for each cruise unless there's absolutely no other way.

Why do you think they look unprofessional?

OMG....my apologies. I just looked at the photo again. The way the caption reads it labels the passengers (in casual clothes) as RCI corporate.

My mistake !

Unfortunately I've seen corporate people from another cruiseline dress in similar casual-wear while doing business, and it seemed to be an alarming trend.

Kudos to RCI corporate for being on the ball and taking care of business, asap.

I just looked at that picture for the first time. You do know that the guy in the suit is the CEO not the guy in the t-shirt? His wife looked nicely dressed.

Yes, I'm so sorry. The way the photo is displayed on my screen I can barely see the RCI people - they have their back to the camera and only the part of their shoulders is showing....the caption reads as if the people in the center of the photo were from RCI.... :(

This is what I'm thinking, absent major structural damage that we don't know about. There was no fuel other than things like rope/wood so the heat probably wasn't high enough to damage the steel - other than cosmetically.

I'd guess that the best decision business-wise would be to get the ship in good enough shape to sail without major inconvenience to their passengers. May mean that there may be a few areas aft that are off limits, or don't look as good as they would short term, but RC isn't going to throw away the millions they get in revenue for each cruise unless there's absolutely no other way.

There is a lot of cosmetic stuff that they can do while at sea..I do not remember exactly which ship we were on, but the carpeting and seating in one of the lounges were replaced ovenight! I was up for an early stroll with an active toddler, and the crew was just dragging out the rolled-up old carpet and other crew were bringing bar stools and chairs! I don't know how long it took them to secure everything down, but the venue was ready that evening when we walked by again.

Hi All! Our flight departs Freeport at 4pm. We just went thru a shipwide immigration process in the Palladium theater that went very smoothly. We are taking a chartered flight into Baltimore and they are driving us to the port.

We have been eating in the WJ for all of our meals and even though given the circumstances it hasn't been that bad at all. I will NEVER EVER complain about an embarkation lunch again....lol.

We have decided to continue our vacation in OCMD and keep our toes in the sand and drinks in our hand.

Just some things that might be of interest: premium coffee has been free, and drink packages have been refunded in full.

It seems that other passengers that were closer to the fire had a much more harrowing experience such as our tablemates who were on deck 3 after very near where the fire started. They had no power in their cabin...barely heard the captain awaking us at 2:50am and had their stateroom attendent banging at the door and screaming to leave. They had no lights to gather any belongings and in fact some passengers were pulled out of their rooms physically in boxers shorts. Add no lights and smoke. We luckily had no real idea what was going on just a few staterooms down.

Anyway..My DH is starting behind me telling me to get off the computer. Best of luck all...time to think about our next cruise that we will get a nice chuck of change off of!

Hi All! Our flight departs Freeport at 4pm. We just went thru a shipwide immigration process in the Palladium theater that went very smoothly. We are taking a chartered flight into Baltimore and they are driving us to the port.

We have been eating in the WJ for all of our meals and even though given the circumstances it hasn't been that bad at all. I will NEVER EVER complain about an embarkation lunch again....lol.

We have decided to continue our vacation in OCMD and keep our toes in the sand and drinks in our hand.

Just some things that might be of interest: premium coffee has been free, and drink packages have been refunded in full.

It seems that other passengers that were closer to the fire had a much more harrowing experience such as our tablemates who were on deck 3 after very near where the fire started. They had no power in their cabin...barely heard the captain awaking us at 2:50am and had their stateroom attendent banging at the door and screaming to leave. They had no lights to gather any belongings and in fact some passengers were pulled out of their rooms physically in boxers shorts. Add no lights and smoke. We luckily had no real idea what was going on just a few staterooms down.

Anyway..My DH is starting behind me telling me to get off the computer. Best of luck all...time to think about our next cruise that we will get a nice chuck of change off of!

Thank you for taking the time to keep us updated.

The winches used to bring ropes in/out of ship probably are operated ELECTRICALLY. Fire origin could have been an electrical. Or maybe crew was smoking out there. Or maybe some generators operated by diesel fuel. Crew doesn't just throw out those ropes!! (We have a small winch on our houseboat to bring a SeaDoo/jetski up out of water & it's operated electrically!!)

Have a safe flight back! You will be happy to know that it is supposed to be sunny and 80 for the rest of the week in Ocean City. Wanda

OMG....my apologies. I just looked at the photo again. The way the caption reads it labels the passengers (in casual clothes) as RCI corporate.

My mistake !

Unfortunately I've seen corporate people from another cruiseline dress in similar casual-wear while doing business, and it seemed to be an alarming trend.

Kudos to RCI corporate for being on the ball and taking care of business, asap.

Why would it be "alarming" if the CEO showed up in the Bahamas in casual attire?

Hi I'm new to the board and I'm new to cruising. My family and I are booked on Grandeur of the Seas out of Baltimore on July 5th. I came here to see if I could find out any information or advice or just some wisdom from folks who are familiar with cruising and when things go wrong (the fire). But every time someone posts something that could turn into a meaningful conversation - someone else goes and writes something completely ignorant and ridiculous. If anyone can guide me to a site where there is a productive discussion going on - I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks.

Archived