On Grandeur now..

My guess is the guy posing in the picture at the dock hiding his face will soon be an ex-employee if he was one.

I was thinking there was no way that was released by accident. Maybe it was to show that RCL cares more about events like this than CCL? It definitely added a human touch to it all, didn't it? Made me think of the crew, who had to have been berthed right near that space, and who really (hopefully) care about their ship. The way the pic was shot really made me think it wasn't an accident.

The picture, I mean.

Plus- at that time I would think only port personnel would be allowed there at that time.

Miami Air has run a couple of flights as well using a 738. There are at least 2 - 763's and a 752 operated by Delta on this as of the moment. Pulled that up from Flightaware.

With that said, much better service than what was provided by Carnival related to their 2 incidents of late.

Definitely very impressive to watch how this is being handled.

Interestingly, that 738 from Miami Air headed over to Cleveland and is now in the air again heading for Freeport....... well...says Freeport, but that aircraft is heading southwest at the moment...

Actually Cruise Critic USUALLY is an excellent source of information regarding all things cruising. The vast majority of folks who post on these boards are really good people who, like most of us, share a passion for cruising and travel in general. Many of us are very well traveled, and we are happy to share what information we know, what works well, what doesn't, recommendations/advice, etc. Unfortunately, as you would find in any large (and oftentimes anonymous) group, there will be a small faction of folks who use the boards in a very unproductive manner. Those are the ones you will quickly learn to ignore. Don't allow that small faction turn you away from an otherwise exceptional website and group of people who have only one agenda--to help ALL of us have a better and more fulfilling cruising experience. And maybe to share a few laughs along the way;)

Time to get off my soapbox now;):cool:

Nice post Karen.

Also and this is a question wasn;t that ship that had the aft fire out of Miami started in the laundry room which is located in the aft I THINK?

I think you're thinking of Carnival Ecstasy.

DH and I sailed the GOTS repo cruise from San Juan to Baltimore that landed May 3. We felt they took safety very seriously.

Since it was a repo cruise from Panama there were MANY new crew members. By the time we began boarding around 1pm they were already participating in a very involved lifeboat drill. Everyone except the WJ staff and a few others were participating. They bars were closed and the ship felt very deserted. There were no waiters walking around selling drinks. The pool bar eventully opened.

Since so many of the crew was engaged in the drill the Captain made 2-3 announcements so the passengers would know what was going on.

They had all of the lifeboats in the water. [i have usually only seen a few lifeboats in the water during a drill] It went on for an hour and a half.

They also made announcements that all new staff had to report to one of the lounges for inservice. Finally around 3:30-4 they announced that all but new crew were released. Then the bars opened and we saw crew walking around. We are veteran cruisers and have seen ships doing drills while we are in ports or embarking. But, this was different. All of their practice served them well.

I was thinking there was no way that was released by accident. Maybe it was to show that RCL cares more about events like this than CCL? It definitely added a human touch to it all, didn't it? Made me think of the crew, who had to have been berthed right near that space, and who really (hopefully) care about their ship. The way the pic was shot really made me think it wasn't an accident.

The picture, I mean.

Plus- at that time I would think only port personnel would be allowed there at that time.

Anyone know--is it posted in this thread? What page?

Hi I'm new to the board and I'm new to cruising. My family and I are booked on Grandeur of the Seas out of Baltimore on July 5th. I came here to see if I could find out any information or advice or just some wisdom from folks who are familiar with cruising and when things go wrong (the fire). But every time someone posts something that could turn into a meaningful conversation - someone else goes and writes something completely ignorant and ridiculous. If anyone can guide me to a site where there is a productive discussion going on - I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks.

I am scheduled on the July 5th cruise as well and am anxious to hear updates.

Definitely very impressive to watch how this is being handled.

Interestingly, that 738 from Miami Air headed over to Cleveland and is now in the air again heading for Freeport....... well...says Freeport, but that aircraft is heading southwest at the moment...

I am sorry for those vacationers and staff- but have to say I am very glad that this is the cruiselines I have chosen to spend my vacation dollars on. To see how quickly they are getting passangers home chartering all these flights is amazing- as is their compensation package to the passengers. We recently returned from a 17 night transatlantic crossing on the Vision and know how disappointing it must be having a trip you have waited and planned on for so long to end like this. But no one was injured and they seem to be well taken care of. Kudos RCCL!

Anyone know--is it posted in this thread? What page?

It's on page 8 post # 156 and was posted by a member of these boards who said it was a crew member who was a friend of theirs

I volunteer at BWI and they have asked for extra volunteers today to help with the Royal Caribbean returning passengers. There are 10 scheduled for today and one tomorrow.

I'm counting 8 nonstops right now FPO-BWI for today. There may be more loaded later, as this has jumped from 2 this morning to 8 now.

http://flightaware.com/live/findflight/MYGF/KBWI/

The picture, I mean.

That was a private picture sent by a crew member to a member of CC with whom s/he is friends. The CC member posted it here on CC before any other pictures became available.

The math is, if one leaves the country once using the passport, cost for that trip is $135 more than traveling without the passport.

I'm not arguing either way. Personally, I always travel with my passport. However, the law & regulation permit people on close loop cruises to travel without a passport, using BC & government issued photo ID instead. Since the vast majority of Americans have both those documents the cost added to the cruise is $0.

With respect to emergencies, for the most part I agree. A passport makes things much simpler. However, an American citizen I believe will always be able to re-enter the United States. The only question is how much extra time and paperwork will be required should one not have a passport when arriving by air.

What about me? I have a passport card which I can only use to cross the border by land or sea: can't fly with it :(

Hi I'm new to the board and I'm new to cruising. My family and I are booked on Grandeur of the Seas out of Baltimore on July 5th. I came here to see if I could find out any information or advice or just some wisdom from folks who are familiar with cruising and when things go wrong (the fire). But every time someone posts something that could turn into a meaningful conversation - someone else goes and writes something completely ignorant and ridiculous. If anyone can guide me to a site where there is a productive discussion going on - I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks.

I know there are some people who say crazy things on here but I have learned to just ignore those and read the post that are helpful or interesting to me. Cruise Critic has been so helpful to us since we started cruising. You will find immeasurable information to help you. You may have to look for it but it is there. I would not have had any idea what to expect if I hadn't had Cruise Critic on our first cruise. After that it has helped me with many issues. There are wonderful people here who will love to help you with your questions or anything else you need help with. Just give us a chance. There are far more good and nice people than others. Bad news always seems to bring out the kooks (if you take offense, you are probably one). {This was not directed at the PO} Please believe me, this is the best site that you will find.

Actually Cruise Critic USUALLY is an excellent source of information regarding all things cruising. The vast majority of folks who post on these boards are really good people who, like most of us, share a passion for cruising and travel in general. Many of us are very well traveled, and we are happy to share what information we know, what works well, what doesn't, recommendations/advice, etc. Unfortunately, as you would find in any large (and oftentimes anonymous) group, there will be a small faction of folks who use the boards in a very unproductive manner. Those are the ones you will quickly learn to ignore. Don't allow that small faction turn you away from an otherwise exceptional website and group of people who have only one agenda--to help ALL of us have a better and more fulfilling cruising experience. And maybe to share a few laughs along the way;)

Time to get off my soapbox now;):cool:

Well said, Karen! CC is a wonderful source for all things to do with cruising

Grandeur of the seas fire and now a train derailment with explosion that shook houses several miles away. Baltimore is getting national attention this week.

Wow!!! You really can get good info here on CC!!:) My daughter uses Pulaski hwy to get home from JHH...I just sent her a text in case she wasn't aware of the train issues yet...Thank you sooo much!

Wow!!! You really can get good info here on CC!!:) My daughter uses Pulaski hwy to get home from JHH...I just sent her a text in case she wasn't aware of the train issues yet...Thank you sooo much!

Pulaski Hwy is close in both directions at 68th street in Rosedale and probably will be the rest of the day and night. All the local news channels are reporting on it. I live near sparrows point about 10 miles away and my house shook from explosion.

Archived