Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

Lloyd - Another great find. Do you know were the North Star is being shipped from? Just curious.

I checked out the bottom name on the covering over the North Star. Turns out its Gangloff Cabins from Switzerland.

I found a pdf document that mentions...

The 4 ton North Star cabin/gondola, held together by a framework of tubes, was built by Gangloff Cabins in Switzerland. Upon completion it travels to Poland, where the cabin is coupled to the 40 meter articulated arm. After that cabin and arm are transported by special convoy to the Meyer Werft shipyard.

NorthStartbyGangloffCabins2_zpsb107dec3.jpg

NorthStarbyDieGangloffCabins3_zps9b33fa0f.jpg

I checked out the bottom name on the covering over the North Star. Turns out its Gangloff Cabins from Switzerland.

The 4 ton North Star cabin/gondola, held together by a framework of tubes, was built by Gangloff Cabins in Switzerland. Upon completion it travels to Poland, where the cabin is coupled to the 40 meter articulated arm. After that cabin and arm are transported by special convoy to the Meyer Werft shipyard.

Nice find, wonder what it will look like to see this crane traveling from Poland to Germany. Should be an interesting photo moment like the bear ones.

It certainly looks small though, makes sense that they said it would have seats as it will likely be a bit sensitive to weight distribution with 14 people in there.

Nice find, looking at the pictures it doesn't look very big, it looks like the only people to fit in there are crib midgets !

A great find and a funny coincidence with respect to two key words, Gondola and Switzerland. We were in South Lake Tahoe and just yesterday went up on the Heavenly Gondola. While up at the top, one of the guides mentioned that a company from Switzerland built the Gondola/cabins and the top viewing platform. Some people mentioned how great the work was. And now that you found the above, the North Star is a bigger version of those Gondola cabins in South Lake Tahoe in some respect.

They state they are installing over 100 LED lights, a separate sound system, various screens with internet connection and therefore they had to prepare for a great deal of electronic work in the gondola.

The original Macgregor press release stated the gondola would be 7.1 tons.

Macgregor is a division of Finnish, Cargotec that is a spinoff from KONE that supplied the elevator and escalator solutions for Oasis, among other ships.

http://www.cargotec.com/en-global/macgregor/releases/Pages/macgregor-crane-technology-employed-for-unique-cruise-1714496-Fri-05-Jul-2013-10-00.aspx

The North Star will only hold 13 or 14 people at one time. It kind of looks like one of the capsules from the London Eye, but somewhat smaller.

I think the angle of the picture doesn't do it any justice. It looks small no matter what device I use

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

If you're planning on getting a selfie with the bear on the Quantum of the Seas, one piece of advice...

Bring a step ladder.

a42b2bf1cfbe08fe17b5132ad8e26fd5.jpg

I'm sure by moving closer to the camera, you could take shots like if you were actualy in the bears paws!!!

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Forums

So I am showing a neighbour the Quantum of the Seas, and she asks where the name comes from. I explain how the Quantum-class are a 'quantum' leap forward in both innovation and design. She looks at me and says, that may be so, but the overall appearance isn't much of a leap. Looks like a lot of ships out there, and some that are on order. Why didn't Royal Caribbean take a bold step forward?

I showed her these photo from STX and she thought it was more like what she had in mind. Any thoughts?

stxmodel_zps3810949c.jpg

csm-2013-ship-of-the-future.jpg

So I am showing a neighbour the Quantum of the Seas, and she asks where the name comes from. I explain how the Quantum-class are a 'quantum' leap forward in both innovation and design. She looks at me and says, that may be so, but the overall appearance isn't much of a leap. Looks like a lot of ships out there, and some that are on order. Why didn't Royal Caribbean take a bold step forward?

I showed her these photo from STX and she thought it was more like what she had in mind. Any thoughts?

Hey, it's a fair point. I expect the Quantum Class will be great but it remains to be seen whether they will deliver on the "quantum leap forward in both innovation and design." As far as I'm concerned, the Oasis Class was the quantum leap forward in both innovation and design... Haven't seen the quantum leap forward from the Oasis Class yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Great pictures. I was a little skeptical about the North Star when I first heard about it and was wondering if it would detract from the appearance of the ship. Let's hope the experience is worth it!

A post today at a certain website who's url we can't paste here ...

Quantum of the Seas cutout reveals more of art on ship

In the past few days, Royal Caribbean released an updated Quantum of the Seas cutaway and also announced its art collection for the ship. Putting both together, we can now get a better idea of what to expect on the ship.

Blog reader Victor Sacal analyzed the new cutaway to look for what's new and the art work featured in the cutaway stood out.

In total, there are 10 art pieces you can now spot in the Quantum of the Seas cutaway.

1.Head (Via corridor)

2."Waves of Light" (Via Rotunda)

3.Crossing (Aft elevator lobby wall)

4.Photography (American Icon Grill)

5.Photography (American Icon Grill)

6.Photography (American Icon Grill)

7.Andy Warhol Self Portrait (Aft stairs)

8.Diver (Aft Stairs)

9.From Afar (Outside SeaPlex)

10.Painting on oil (Vintages)

The Via Corridor, and The Via Rotunda is the space between the Aft elevators and two70.

cdf6c19dd82fba8e0f5a046b86e47205.jpg

There's some curved glass paneled partitions that look like they might be considered art as well? You can make out an image with some blue in it on the right one.

c170593558e80699145ab10203e6a5a1.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555

A post today at a certain website who's url we can't paste here ...

Quantum of the Seas cutout reveals more of art on ship

In the past few days, Royal Caribbean released an updated Quantum of the Seas cutaway and also announced its art collection for the ship. Putting both together, we can now get a better idea of what to expect on the ship.

Blog reader Victor Sacal analyzed the new cutaway to look for what's new and the art work featured in the cutaway stood out.

In total, there are 10 art pieces you can now spot in the Quantum of the Seas cutaway.

1.Head (Via corridor)

2."Waves of Light" (Via Rotunda)

3.Crossing (Aft elevator lobby wall)

4.Photography (American Icon Grill)

5.Photography (American Icon Grill)

6.Photography (American Icon Grill)

7.Andy Warhol Self Portrait (Aft stairs)

8.Diver (Aft Stairs)

9.From Afar (Outside SeaPlex)

10.Painting on oil (Vintages)

The Via Corridor, and The Via Rotunda is the space between the Aft elevators and two70.

cdf6c19dd82fba8e0f5a046b86e47205.jpg

There's some curved glass paneled partitions that look like they might be considered art as well? You can make out an image with some blue in it on the right one.

c170593558e80699145ab10203e6a5a1.jpg

It's interesting (to me anyway) that even when it comes to something like the art collection, they've only chosen to expose things from mid-ship, back.

I find it difficult to believe that there's no art from the funnels, forward.:confused:

Shhh things are very secretive, they are going to wait for the first revenue sailing to reveal the rest of the ship

Maybe there are actually 2 ships here...

Perhapps they didn't really join the blocks at the midway point and the purpose of the "partial float out" of Anthem blocks was to do a proof of concept.

What they're really doing is modular cruising now.

So what will happen is half of the Quantum will go to China and half will go to New Jersey :rolleyes:

They have to do virtual concerts, since the higher paying customers will be on the cruise with the actual talent.

The rest of us are on the other piece of the ship and get to take a quantum leap forward and watch the 'Virtual Concert'.

Next up, we'll all be cruising in lifeboats:D

It's interesting (to me anyway) that even when it comes to something like the art collection, they've only chosen to expose things from mid-ship, back.

I find it difficult to believe that there's no art from the funnels, forward.:confused:

There is a little art work shown in the forward section of the cut-away view, but you really have to look for it. Also keep in mind the cut-away view is very distorted, showing restaurants for instance that are on the other side of the ship or even several decks higher than shown on the cut-away view. Apparently Royal Caribbean gave the designer of the cut-away view instructions to be very "restaurant-centric" showing as many as possible, even if they normally would not be seen were a hole cut in the side of the ship.

Looking closely, here are a few things I found in the forward section.

1. This is some art up on the pool deck, forward of the main outdoor swimming pool.

14766718459_509bfed820.jpg

2. This area is especially interesting. It looks like a bridge as part of the upper level of the "Royal Esplanade" where you can look down to the lower level of the "Royal Esplanade". There is some interesting art hanging from the ceiling and also what appears to be a two story high wing-back chair, or at least the upper half of one.

14950294511_b3d06d9131.jpg

3. Lastly this is inside The Music Hall on the upper level I'm guessing. Some kind of art piece that most likely also acts as a room divider.

14766779748_e2783d21ef.jpg

Well I was trying to get up enough courage to maybe want to try for a ride on the Northstar, but it looks so small that I am not so sure now. I wasn't Claustrophobic before I saw it. :eek:

I don't know, maybe while we are docked at a nice warm island I may want to see the next island from up there.

Denise

Perhapps they didn't really join the blocks at the midway point and the purpose of the "partial float out" of Anthem blocks was to do a proof of concept.

So what will happen is half of the Quantum will go to China and half will go to New Jersey :rolleyes:

They have to do virtual concerts, since the higher paying customers will be on the cruise with the actual talent.

The rest of us are on the other piece of the ship and get to take a quantum leap forward and watch the 'Virtual Concert'.

Funny!

When I was a kid I remember seeing a sci-fi movie about a planet that was out somewhere on the other side of the universe but was an exact mirror image of earth. The main character travels back and forth ( between Earth and the mirror image "earth)several times over many years but eventually goes crazy and as an elderly man drives his wheelchair into a mirror and dies.

Where is Scott Bakula & Dean Stockwell when you need them?

Qunatum Leap the TV Show: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096684/

Denise~ "Oh boy!"

Edited by DKNYC

Are you trying to say we will be in section that would be considered the tornado magnet ( or hurricane since it will be in the ocean). That will be our entertainment, how fast can you row?

csm-2013-ship-of-the-future.jpg

Like the car industry, that model is a concept which when turned into production gets watered down a lot due to praticality and production considerations.:cool:

All of this "quantum leap" business is marketing speak to get customers interested, but the reality is that there's no way to make big changes to a cruising industry market which has become a commodity business.

Edited by kemenyg

The same 'cut-away' used to find the art and 'via corridor' and 'via rotunda' also shows deck chairs on the bow section and full railings around the opening in the bow deck. This is the first good sign that some type of access may be allowed up there. While these deck chairs could be crew related, it is unlikely they would put that on public relations material.

The 'cut-away' also has not shown this area as a traditional helipad as seen on other renderings of RCI ships.

3. Lastly this is inside The Music Hall on the upper level I'm guessing. Some kind of art piece that most likely also acts as a room divider.

14766779748_e2783d21ef.jpg

It is hard to know how much 'to scale' this cut-away is, but it also appears that there is a more private area in front of that artwork, with chairs overlooking the stage and floor below. I have been wondering whether the Music Hall will have some sort of 'premium' seating or section.

Often in nightclubs they will have a VIP section or package that with the purchase of a bottle of champagne or other 'bottle' service you gain access to a private area. This could also be some sort of premium event seating.

I also find the location of the Diamond Lounge interesting in relationship to this area.

There's already a "All Things Anthem" thread. I can start one similar to this one, but what to call it?

"Anthem Megablocks in the House"

"Anthem Megablocks Back in the House"

"Anthem of the Seas Construction"

"???"

My vote goes to:

Anthem Megablocks Back in the House"