Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

Is that height difference just the camera angle or is one block somehow elevated?

I noticed the same thing. I think the first block is actually riding in the water by itself but the second block looked like it was floated out on a platform of some sort. I could be totally wrong, but that's what I was thinking I saw.

Tracy

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I noticed the same thing. I think the first block is actually riding in the water by itself but the second block looked like it was floated out on a platform of some sort. I could be totally wrong, but that's what I was thinking I saw.

Tracy

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I think part of the second block has one of the "keel blocks" or "hull blocks" sticking out which makes it look like its on a platform.

Photo by Master_Schnief of both megablocks

esyja2e6.jpg

Aw I missed it. Work Grrr!

Started to hum, "Reunited and it feels so good". 🎵🎶🎼

Probably feel better when bolted together. Great photo! Thanks

Denise

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

OK. No sister ship megablock between the Quantum and the door. Weather permitting, she'd better float out tonight/tomorrow!!

10560346_757715357605016_6123375671417531099_o.jpg

Photo by Jeroen Houtman‎

Gosh just can't get over how really massive that space must be. Looks like you could have 2 complete ships in there. Maybe not both as big as Q & A .

Denise

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

LOVING the bear! Its a beautiful piece of sculpture, when you stand next to that, it'll look and feel so impressive. I think it's size and colour strikes an excellent balance for the size and type of ship Quantum is, it's whimsical, fun and unique. I wonder what other artworks Quantum has on board. Having sailed on more traditional ships before, I'm really looking forward to something new and different.:)

Does anyone know how they are able to float the mega-blocks without a lower deck getting flooded? Especially if one of them has the engines inside, wouldn't those be low enough to be flooded? Did they seal that section?

LOVING the bear! Its a beautiful piece of sculpture, when you stand next to that, it'll look and feel so impressive. I think it's size and colour strikes an excellent balance for the size and type of ship Quantum is, it's whimsical, fun and unique. I wonder what other artworks Quantum has on board. Having sailed on more traditional ships before, I'm really looking forward to something new and different.:)

Press release mentions ...

In addition to Lawrence Argent, an impressive portfolio of artists, including Paul Villinski, who created a monumental installation called "Crossing" which encompasses a wall of 210 butterflies representing 30 species, each made of aluminum, stainless steel, acrylic and enamel; sculptor Soo Sunny Park, whose sprawling, undulating structure titled "Waves of Light," explores the light's potential as a structural element. Pieces by these artists and others span size, art forms and mediums, and can be enjoyed both inside and outside the ship.

"Royal Caribbean has a long history of showcasing original art at sea; in fact, we boast one of the world's largest private art collections across our fleet, " said Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, Executive Vice President, Operations, Royal Caribbean International. "The pieces we have commissioned for Quantum of the Seas are stunning, engaging and in some cases completely unexpected, and we are so thrilled that our guests have the opportunity to enjoy a variety of exceptionally brilliant works from some of the world's most talented artists such as Lawrence Argent."

The bear titled "From Afar" is comprised of 1,340 stainless steel triangles, weighs approximately eight-tons and is intended to incite wonder among guests, encouraging them to admire the bear from afar, as well as interact with it on a more intimate, yet whimsical level. The piece helps guests explore the ship's art theme by showcasing intangible qualities of what makes life worth living, such as peace, love, joy, gratitude and passion, which is what Quantum's art pieces are meant to evoke, while sister ship, Anthem of the Seas, scheduled to debut April 2015, uncovers tangible aspects of the theme such as adventure, entertainment and nature.

Soo Sunny Park's art looks awesome as well. Wonder what she did for the Quantum-class ships?

http://soosunnypark.com/

Example of her work

1130-5770341-03_Park_Unwoven_Light.jpg

A giant bear now? The more of this ship I see, the less I understand it. The only thing that interests me in the least so far is the 270 lounge, after that, all it seems to be to me is a big hotel with lots of (pay) restaurants. I am really hoping it will grow on me once I see the interior and read/hear some reviews from paying passengers. I love all the RCI ships I've sailed on, I really do, but they have bewildered me with this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know how they are able to float the mega-blocks without a lower deck getting flooded? Especially if one of them has the engines inside, wouldn't those be low enough to be flooded? Did they seal that section?

Yes they are sealed. If you think back to titanic days the megablock sections line up with bulkheads so there would be watertight doors on the lower decks at each end of a block anyway..

A giant bear now? The more of this ship I see, the less I understand it. The only thing that interests me in the least so far is the 270 lounge, after that, all it seems to be to me is a big hotel with lots of (pay) restaurants. I am really hoping it will grow on me once I see the interior and read/hear some reviews from paying passengers. I love all the RCI ships I've sailed on, I really do, but they have bewildered me with this one.

C'mon! How could you not like that sweet face!!

59e8019e4d29040baa7e3f50907cd3c7.jpg

Photo by Royal Caribbean International.

On the subject, some people on the Facebook Quantum group are wondering if where we see this Magenta coloured 30' foot, 8 ton polar bear called "From Afar" in the video is the spot where the bear will be located permanently. What do you think?

I posted on FB:

Bear with me here: The arm is raised at jus the right height to touch the top of the SeaPlex so that the bear is chillaxing before his/her turn in a bumper car. The bear doesn't look like it will be in a busy spot, out of the way next to one of the SeaPlex pods.

930506ac0144e38a68dfcd57ad00e9d6.jpg

Screen grab from Royal Caribbean International video 'Polar Bear Sighting: Royal Caribbean's Art Piece is Larger Than Life'

Edited by Lloyd555

Couldn't agree more. I love it too!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The bear is certainly a WOW item and head turner regardless of it looking out of place or not. More than half of the art on cruise ships looks out of place in regards to the ship's overall design. Come on...Allure OTS has a hang glider above boardwalk as well as crystal dresses and fighter jets hanging in the elevator centriums. Anyways it's art and at the very least he breaks up the area a bit. Remember this ship is supposed to be a game changer in RCL's eyes and it most definitely will be. It's meant to draw our attention and based on the comments good or bad so far we are talking about it... Right?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm with you on this.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

The bear is really odd LOL ... I'm sorry, but it's true. Also, I wish RCI would bear in mind how annoying it is to some of us that we still do not have a full reveal at float out!

...sorry, couldn't resist lol

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

The bear is really odd LOL ... I'm sorry, but it's true. Also, I wish RCI would bear in mind how annoying it is to some of us that we still do not have a full reveal at float out!

...sorry, couldn't resist lol

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

It is definitely unique to say the least..haha. Yes, wouldn't it be wonderful to see some renderings of the interior?! Would that be so hard?? :cool: