Dining question - courses

CMDE

I am going on an Alaskan cruise on the Volendam in August. I have been on HAL once before but several years ago.

On Celebrity, with the way the menu was printed and the way the order is taken, there is an expectation that you will have an appetizer, soup or salad, entree and dessert, so 4 courses.

Just got back from a cruise on RCI and the norm seemed to be appetizer or soup or salad, entree and dessert, so 3 courses.

Of course, we could order whatever we wanted, but just wondered what was usual on HAL?

They offer four courses but I very often only have entree and coffee. If you wish to have a very full menu, by all means do so but do not feel obliged.

DH usually has an appetizer, entree and once ina while a dessert.

I generally order an appetizer or salad, entrée, and dessert.

Sometimes I'll get 2 appetizers and an entrée, plus dessert.

Or appetizer, salad, and soup, with dessert.

Once in a while just entrée and dessert.

It depends on how hungry I am. But I always get dessert ;).

4 courses but I have been known to order all three appetizer, soup, and salad if they all three sounded very good or if I didn't like any soup or salad just order an extra appetizer. The staff are happy to see you enjoying the food. Also, if anything isn't to your liking, they will get you a prompt replacement and they appreciate your kind feedback. :)

On a couple of nights I have extended the meal to five courses, by ordering an extra appetizer (if I couldn't decide between options), or by having cheese before a sweet course. On nights where mushroom ravioli or mushroom risotto has featured, I have often ordered one as a side for the table to share.

It's entirely up to you, and your waiter and assistant dining room steward will make it happen. :)

I'm not a fan of most salads, so I often have 2 appetizers or 2 soups, rather than a salad to make my fourth course. The waiters are awesome about bringing things out so that everyone at the table has something to eat for each course, even if you do not follow the appetizer-soup/salad-main-dessert plan.

Also, I can say that if you really don't like what you ordered, the waiters will bend over backward to make a plate of things you do like. One meal my brother ordered the vegetarian dish as the least worst option on the menu, but when it was delivered he found he did not care for it. The waiter was very worried and nervous, and asked what he could get for my brother. As it turned out, what my brother really wanted was a serving of the potato side dishes from the non-vegetarian entree choices. The waiter made it happen. It was hilarious. We still laugh about the waiter pointing to each of our plates saying "Potato. Potato. Potato." until he understood what my brother wanted.

Also, this is not too well known, but you can, upon request, get an entree sized portion of an appetizer, soup or salad if that is what you want. You cannot get an appetizer portion of an entree (I tried on several occasions and very apologetically told no). But a least once on most cruises, I will order an entree portion of an appetizer.

It is nice that you can have a 4 course meal on HAL whenever you want a large meal.

It is rare when we have all 4 courses in the main dining room. We don't care for HAL's desserts and there are some evenings when the the appetizers or soups or salads to not appeal to us.

But in the Pinnacle -- we always end up with 4 courses there.

You cannot get an appetizer portion of an entree (I tried on several occasions and very apologetically told no).

Sometimes you can, so don't give up entirely on the idea. It could vary on different ships, with different stewards, or possibly the current dining administration on a given ship.

If that's what you want some night, ask. The worst that can happen is that you go without, but you may be pleasantly surprised.

Five courses is the norm for us: appetizer, salad, soup, entree, and dessert. Sometimes I order two appetizers and skip the soup or salad. The waiters are prepared to make the meal flow no matter what you order.

It is nice that you can have a 4 course meal on HAL whenever you want a large meal.

It is rare when we have all 4 courses in the main dining room. We don't care for HAL's desserts and there are some evenings when the the appetizers or soups or salads to not appeal to us.

But in the Pinnacle -- we always end up with 4 courses there.

Large meal? Is anything in the MDR large? The Pinnacle is a different story. I don't think I've ever ordered 4 courses there. That is a lot of food.

Archived