A "Royal" letdown!

BarbaraB2

We booked the Maiden Transatlantic and Maiden Caribbean without knowing how limited the Promenade Deck or how small the balconies would be. Didn't notice there was no center stairway. Had no way of knowing about a lot of other things that I have come to look forward to on previous Princess cruises that would be changed for the worse or eliminated.

And the moral is do your pre-cruise research before booking, the info was out there including detailed deck plans.

Personally having visited the ship I would recommend giving the Royal a try, it is far nicer than the artist's impressions or the opinions of some on here. The last thing I was expecting prior to our visit was to find such a beautiful ship both outside and Inside.

One thing not mentioned so far is that due to the increased size of the central atrium both the forward and aft staircases are not that far from the atrium.

That makes sense (and may even help with cabin temp in direct sun, a possible plus).

The balconies themselves are still fairly exposed, but no worse than the Dolphin deck on the Coral for example, yes the angle is different, but honestly from our bump out cabin on her I could see pretty much everyone forward).

Can anyone tell if the visibility is primarily from people walking the sea-walk or those seated at the bar. I don't expect a lot of people to pace the skywalk thus limiting exposure, but I do expect people to sit there quite a while...

Shogun just posted in his live thread that the cabins below the skywalk had reflective film and you couldn't see inside the cabin from above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shogun just posted in his live thread that the cabins below the skywalk had reflective film and you couldn't see inside the cabin from above.

You can often see through reflective film if the conditions are just right.

For instance, and grand class ships, it's pretty easy to peek into

crew bar / crew gym at certain times.

I would have thought people would be more concerned with the sea views on the SeaWalk than looking into peoples balconies.

Either way, the small number of people on the SeaWalk at any one time is better than having everyone being able to view your balcony on the Grand class, especially those on the deck above, due to the balconies which stick out.

People seem to forget the huge amount of people who could view your balcony on the Grand class ships when they are criticising the Royal class.

also, and seldom mentioned, is the view those on the Dolphin deck get when you turn from the balcony railing to go into your cabin. You have a clear view to most of the cabins above you in, both directly above and to the left and right.

we spend a lot of time out on the balcony, and have had Dolphin more than once. I thought it was going to freak me out, but the only time I notice there is someone "up there" is on sailaway, usually.

Another "surprise" design feature from another thread:

Families should also note that the children's bunk beds were pulled down from the ceiling each night.

However in a standard balcony this meant neither the top or bottom bunk could properly see the tv screen and the ladder obstructed the corridor to the bathroom.

People won't leave their balcony doors open... although I know quite a few do in spite of the request on every balcony door not to do so. It screws up the A/C or heating system. So, unless you ignore the request, people shouldn't be able to see into your cabin.

As I previously mentioned, we are seasoned cruisers and are very particular about cabin size and placement on ships.The cabin was well researched by both my TA and myself at the time but, it wasn't until the ship's photos were released and people were onboard that the views from the Sea Walk were 'reavealed'. I would expect future cruisers, being made aware of the situation, will be able to make an informed decision and could decide for themselves what they feel comfortable with. As for us, this is a deal breaker unless we are able to get a cabin with more privacy.

The other thing you will want to keep in mind is that there is no stair case mid-ship above deck 7. This means you will have to use the elevators which could take some time.

People won't leave their balcony doors open... although I know quite a few do in spite of the request on every balcony door not to do so. It screws up the A/C or heating system. So, unless you ignore the request, people shouldn't be able to see into your cabin.

You beat me to it Pam.

And if the person you are sharing your cabin with

opens the cabin door, they could be killed. I saw it happen one day and someone almost "bought the farm." It wasn't pretty.:(

We were on the Sapphire on March 15, 2012 when bookings opened for the Royal. I knew a lot more than the Future Cruise Consultant who hadn't seen the advance .pdf of the Royal that had deck plans.

We booked the Maiden Transatlantic and Maiden Caribbean without knowing how limited the Promenade Deck or how small the balconies would be. Didn't notice there was no center stairway. Had no way of knowing about a lot of other things that I have come to look forward to on previous Princess cruises that would be changed for the worse or eliminated.

Knowing a bit more, we still went ahead and booked a TA on the Royal for next Spring when that cruise opened. But, after seeing reviews and comments from those who have actually sailed on the Royal, we have cancelled that cruise in favor of a TA next Spring on the Emerald.

And that surprised you?:o

I travelled on a Preview cruise on the Royal and had a Caribbean 7 night trip booked for next April. I was very excited about both trips as Princess is my favourite line and I have had many happy cruises on a variety of their ships.

I have just cancelled my Caribbean cruise.

I took my mother on the Royal as a surprise treat and I was terribly disappointed. The ship had some nice features but nothing that really excited me and everywhere I turned there were niggly things that irritated and I have decided that a trip with 3 full sea days on the Royal would not be my idea of heaven.

We also love sitting on the balcony and booked a deluxe balcony this time and a mini-suite for our next trip. The balcony we had was on Marina deck with a huge overhang (hadn't spotted how large that was on the deck plans) but what concerned me was that it was so shallow that we couldn't comfortably turn the chairs to face the sea and actually relax as we couldn't stretch our legs at all, we had to face each other the whole time!

In April I would be travelling with older children which gives us the option of one pool area only which I can see being a complete bunfight for a lounger as even the adult pool area seemed to lack space and who wants to spend hours staring at the back of someone elses cabana rather than the pool?

Overall I just couldn't find enough good points to outweigh the bad. There appears to be a problem with people criticising this ship, I didn't go on it with excessive expectations, I just presumed I would love it like all the other ones I have tried but I simply didn't.

If it is a hot day outside, the air conditioners are working full blast, you are standing by an open balcony door, and your roommate opens the cabin door, guess what happens?:(

Instant wind tunnel:(:(

Which then causes the cabin door to SHUT with huge force. :(

A sad thought: Since the Regal Princess has already been built and is fitting out, there will also be a "Regal" letdown! Too late to make major alterations in her superstructure.

If you follow some of the other Carnival Corp. related cruise lines boards', you may be aware that there recently have been some upper management shake-ups at Cunard, P & 0 (UK), and the former CEO of Carnival Cruise Lines returning as a Consultant to Carnival and the other North American brands. Time for a shake-up at Princess, too?

If you follow some of the other Carnival Corp. related cruise lines boards', you may be aware that there recently have been some upper management shake-ups at Cunard, P & 0 (UK), and the former CEO of Carnival Cruise Lines returning as a Consultant to Carnival and the other North American brands. Time for a shake-up at Princess, too?

Probably not, generally the designs are driven by polls and customer driven data. If the Royal turns out to be bust, it will likely point to the design group. But who knows, the data may be showing something we experts aren't seeing. I hope so, the only reason we aren't cancelling our October cruise on Royal is because we are meeting a large group.

Burt

All this talk about small balconies reminded me of how spoiled we have been. Sounds like the balconies are roughly the same size as on the Sun Class (balconies, not minis or suites). Anybody who's seen both - does that spun abt right?? Advantage here though with glass railing rather than steel.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi Barbara...

We're booked on the Royal TA with you and will wait to make our own judgment. IMHO people rush to tell others about all the negatives they've discovered.

The Skywalk, however, is pretty straightforward. I can understand your disappointment in having booked a cabin below it.

We recently upgraded our cabin category on the Royal TA and can tell you that cabins become available almost daily. As we approach final payment, a cabin in your category could very well become available in a more desirable location. I checked a couple times a day until mine became available...then I immediately called my TA to transfer my booking.

Whatever you decide, good luck...

Lew

I agree with Lew. I'll wait and see as well.....:):):)

Bob

It's probably just me but none of these nit picky things would deter me from going on the Royal. I now have 2 cruises booked on this ship, mainly because itineraries, and can't wait to get on the ship, any ship!! I think there are positives and negatives on all the Princess ships but it doesn't stop me from cruising on any ship. :)

We are booked on a TA out of Copenhagan in Sept. 2014. I am hopeful that many of the bugs will be worked out by then. Look, the way I see it, this is a different ship and has many new and exciting venues and interior spaces. I really lke the walkway over the ocean and will be looking out and not spying on the folks below who might be on a balcony. Who cares???

We always book a balcony and often have sailed in aft balconies on the Caribe Deck which are large. On this cruise, I booked a deluxe balcony toward the back and on the other side of the walkway, (btw) The size of the balcony looks to be larger than the standard balconies and even the mini suite balconies. But, regardless if it is smaller, I can't believe it won't be fine for two of us. That said, I'm anxious to sail this beautiful, new ship. It has a lot going for it! I love Princess more than HAL and RCL and come back again and again.

It's probably just me but none of these nit picky things would deter me from going on the Royal. I now have 2 cruises booked on this ship, mainly because itineraries, and can't wait to get on the ship, any ship!! I think there are positives and negatives on all the Princess ships but it doesn't stop me from cruising on any ship. :)
Exactly! You could nitpick every single ship on every cruise line. Some appeal to some, others appeal to others. That's why there are so many choices. :)

All this talk about small balconies reminded me of how spoiled we have been. Sounds like the balconies are roughly the same size as on the Sun Class (balconies' date=' not minis or suites). Anybody who's seen both - does that spun abt right?? Advantage here though with glass railing rather than steel.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app[/quote']

Been on both the Sea Princess and Dawn Princess and does sound about right but I think the Royal balconies look like they maybe a little bigger.

Archived