Cancellation Policy 10 months in Advance

turendot

We booked a 24 day Magic of the Mediterranean Cruise for April-May 2014 and now have to cancel the cruise. Does anyone know what the cancellation cost will be or have any idea of what it might be?

Shouldn't cost you anything. Unless your TA has a fee...

You never get insurance premiums back.

If the OP got travel insurance independently, and there is no claim to be made, he should get his money back from the insuring firm. I certainly have.

I see that you are from Canada -- your rules may be different than those who live in the US.

10 months out we don't even buy insurance that early.

Our TA does not charge a fee when we cancel any time before final payment.

No difference in the rules of cancellation in Canada:D unlike Europe (so unfair).

OP you should be fine:D

I see that you are from Canada -- your rules may be different than those who live in the US.

10 months out we don't even buy insurance that early.

Our TA does not charge a fee when we cancel any time before final payment.

If you don't buy travel insurance when you book your trip, does it cover pre existing conditions? If yes, which company?

If you don't buy travel insurance when you book your trip, does it cover pre existing conditions? If yes, which company?

My question as well.

We only buy medical/evacuation coverage and self-insure for cancellation but I have to buy it within certain number of days of placing deposit for pre-existing to be covered.

I'd be happy to wait longer and be able to buy our medical coverage at a later date.

One day before final payment is sue, out TA buys HAL's cancellation policy -- you can cancel up to 24 hours before the cruise -- no questions asked.

That is cancellation coverage only.

It provides just $10,000 in medical.

That wouldn't serve us at all.

We always self-insure for cancellation but must have medical out of country, just in case.

What do you do about having medical/evacation/repatriation?

One day before final payment is sue, out TA buys HAL's cancellation policy -- you can cancel up to 24 hours before the cruise -- no questions asked.

Our TA just puts in that payment before doing the final payment. Once we turn 65, we will have to buy insurance to supplement Medicare outside the US. I like HAL's insurance since they changed the rules a couple of years ago. You don't have to purchase it until right before final payment. Otherwise, you lose out if you cancel.

Our TA just puts in that payment before doing the final payment. Once we turn 65, we will have to buy insurance to supplement Medicare outside the US. I like HAL's insurance since they changed the rules a couple of years ago. You don't have to purchase it until right before final payment. Otherwise, you lose out if you cancel.

I think they should make it clear it is cancellation insurance. It is not travel insurance. I think there possibly could be many who are not aware of exactly what is and is not covered.

We here on CC know as it is pointed out often but not every HAL cruiser comes to CC........... (that is their loss. :) )

If the OP got travel insurance independently, and there is no claim to be made, he should get his money back from the insuring firm. I certainly have.

I have never heard of getting your insurance premiums back if you didn't make a claim. Is that peculiar to travel insurance? And what company, please tell? I want them!

just a quick note--other agencies besides HAL give the option of buying trip insurance at final payment. if you buy within 24 hours of booking, you are covered for pre-existing conditions. I have been using the one thru costco and it works this way. Also, very reasonably priced for the coverage you get. They do specify that they are secondary insurer--after whatever medical/other insurance you have, they pay.

ML

Third party travel insurance companies differ in how soon a policy must be purchased to cover preexisting conditions. Some also have additional perks for purchasing within that time frame. They likely also differ in what happens if you cancel before final payment.

just a quick note--other agencies besides HAL give the option of buying trip insurance at final payment. if you buy within 24 hours of booking, you are covered for pre-existing conditions. I have been using the one thru costco and it works this way. Also, very reasonably priced for the coverage you get. They do specify that they are secondary insurer--after whatever medical/other insurance you have, they pay.

ML

What is nice about HAL is they do insure for preexisting conditions and you don't have to buy it until final payment. That was changed a couple of years ago.

As mentioned no cost. But some TA's charge a fee. If they do see if they will waive it if you book another cruise with them.

You will not get money back from the third party insurance company. Most let you reapply your premium to another cruise if the cruise is equal to or great in value. If greater in value you pay more of course.

Keith

That is cancellation coverage only.

It provides just $10,000 in medical.

That wouldn't serve us at all.

We always self-insure for cancellation but must have medical out of country, just in case.

What do you do about having medical/evacation/repatriation?

I am a bit confused...in the terms of the HAL CPP Platinum and what it covers, besides the standard medical coverage it also says: "Emergency Evacuation/Repatriation: In the event that serious illness or injury requires air or ground transportation to a specialized facility or to return home, you will be provided up to $50,000 in covered medical services and supplies (coordinated by our 24-hour assistance provider) to help ensure your safe transport. Repatriation coverage provides for shipment of remains in the event of death during the cruise vacation."

Is this what you are referring to in terms of evacuation and repatriation not being offered?

Archived