WOW ! Up To 400 People Remove Gratuities

Amen.

We'll have our Gratuities prepaid on the next 2 cruises, and have no intention whatsoever to recind them.

So just to clarify if for example you recieve poor service from your cabin attendant for example (no compass delivered, bins not emptied, towels not replaced, dirty things from last guest, hardly saw them to mention these things) you would still reward that lack of service with a tip? :confused:

So just to clarify if for example you recieve poor service from your cabin attendant for example (no compass delivered, bins not emptied, towels not replaced, dirty things from last guest, hardly saw them to mention these things) you would still reward that lack of service with a tip? :confused:

If this happened, I would call the head house keeper and get it fixed! I would never tolorate lousey service.

I would like to see the daily tips become non-removable!! Then those who are cheap will either have to pay the tips or not cruise with Royal Caribbean.

Why not just add it to the price of the cruise, like they did/do when the price of a barrel of oil goes up? If you can afford the price of the cruise and booze and the shore excursions and all the money gambling, if $80 something odd dollars is going to put you over, then you're not doing something right. JMO

(Flame on, I'm ready for it:eek:)

Amen.

We'll have our Gratuities prepaid on the next 2 cruises, and have no intention whatsoever to recind them.

Same here.

OK, I vowed not to get sucked into anymore tipping discussion. However, we selected MTD. We might never enter the MDR, but our would-be waitstaff shouldn't be deprived because of our decision.

I do wish people would realize the system is what it is, and stop quibbling over a few dollars a day. It's petty, imnsvho.

Degrading and inhumane? No I don't think so.

The thing that people can't seem to grasp is that many people in tipped positions "SOMETIMES/ONE" make more money this way vs the company paying them an hourly wage.

I have been to Wally World and Orlando many times .

The Wages paid generally are appalling in the Tourist Industry down in that neck of the woods

A recent US Doco showed how bad the wages are for adults at Wally World and in Orlando generally

I find this disappointing and Walt would be rolling in his grave.

What the average American can not get through their heads that unless everyone is getting good wages and conditions then society as a whole will suffer.

My son works at port everglades and got talking to some RCI crew and bartenders about the new auto pay gratuities. The crew actually do not like this because they say that even the slackers (crew) get tipped. The good ones feel slighted now. Just reporting what was said.

I travel quite a bit, and know when I go into countries that do not tip, there isn't a lot of incentive for great customers service.

The all inclusive lines are KNOWN for their exemplary service and tipping is not allowed. Some of the best service I have had in my lifetime has been in countries and onboard vessels where there is no tipping.

Why not just add it to the price of the cruise, like they did/do when the price of a barrel of oil goes up? If you can afford the price of the cruise and booze and the shore excursions and all the money gambling, if $80 something odd dollars is going to put you over, then you're not doing something right. JMO

(Flame on, I'm ready for it:eek:)

Well, since you are expecting to be flamed, I hope I don't disappoint you, but I agree with you.

It is wrong to assume that removing your tip from your on-board account presupposes you are stiffing the staff. Some like to present the tip in cash not vouchers and/or in different amounts or to different people than the cruise-line dictates.

One question I would like to know the answer to is whether the tips are pooled.

Let me see if I can explain what I mean.

If the tips are pooled and someone removes the tip for their room attendant because he did a poor job then the pool shrinks and everyone gets a bit less but the lazy attendant still gets the same as everyone else. In this case the purpose of tipping to reward stellar service is negated.

If however the cruise-line matches each tip to an actual employee then modifying your tip will affect only that one employee. (I hope this is how it works)

Degrading and inhumane? No I don't think so.

The thing that people can't seem to grasp is that many people in tipped positions make more money this way vs the company paying them an hourly wage.

There is a restaurant in the Orlando area that people are dying to get into to be a server. Why? Because they make more money working 3-4 nights a week on tips than someone working a full time job with a regular salary.

So very true!

Throughout the USA thousands (if not millions) of young people have worked their way through college and graduate school on tips, earning far more than they could have made working for a fixed hourly wage, even in a job that paid well above minimum wage.

They would have been very upset if any busybodies tried to change their method of compensation.

If anyone wonders why so many young (and some non-so-young) people still choose to work for tips at upscale restaurants and resorts and clubs to this day when they could instead be working for a nice fixed hourly wage in an office building or bank or department store, just ask them.

So very true!

Throughout the USA thousands (if not millions) of young people have worked their way through college and graduate school on tips, earning far more than they could have made working for a fixed hourly wage, even in a job that paid well above minimum wage.

They would have been very upset if any busybodies tried to change their method of compensation

it is RCCI who have changed the system for their employees. Everyone here is debating how it affects the whole situation.

If it weren't broke........why did they try to fix it?

Maybe for you.

I like things just as they are. Beachchik is also my hero. :D

Agreed. As is typical for tipping threads, people want their prefered tipping method to be mandated on everyone else. Why people are so concerned about how others tip baffles me. As was pointed out in another thread, this is just another Cruise Critic problem. :rolleyes:

It is wrong to assume that removing your tip from your on-board account presupposes you are stiffing the staff. Some like to present the tip in cash not vouchers and/or in different amounts or to different people than the cruise-line dictates.

Let me see if I can explain what I mean.

If the tips are pooled and someone removes the tip for their room attendant because he did a poor job then the pool shrinks and everyone gets a bit less but the lazy attendant still gets the same as everyone else. In this case the purpose of tipping to reward stellar service is negated.

If however the cruise-line matches each tip to an actual employee then modifying your tip will affect only that one employee. (I hope this is how it works)

I am just off Enchantment and asked around in dining services and housekeeping. The tips are NOT pooled, either in auto gratuities or cash. They feel they are being fairly compensated and getting exactly what is stated on the forms - RCI isn't messing it up. If you choose to tip all cash, they keep every bit - not a dollar is turned in or pooled. If you claim bad service and don't tip, they get nothing. Certainly they don't then get something from the "pool" because there is none.

I am just off Enchantment and asked around in dining services and housekeeping. The tips are NOT pooled, either in auto gratuities or cash. They feel they are being fairly compensated and getting exactly what is stated on the forms - RCI isn't messing it up. If you choose to tip all cash, they keep every bit - not a dollar is turned in or pooled. If you claim bad service and don't tip, they get nothing. Certainly they don't then get something from the "pool" because there is none.

This should make and end to the confusion but who's kidding who here!!:D

Now, for those who want to tell me I'm screwing with a system by preferring to tip those who serve me, in cash-:p

Let's hope everyone has some reading comprehension on your post Gina and can grasp the NO POOL statement you made!! Not once, twice but three times!!;) And, told to you from staff members- love it!!! Thanks Gina!!

Gratuities are given not taken.I don't need Royal Caribbean to take my money then call it a tip.If i decide to leave it on,i will not tip another penny.For the people that worry what other people do,i do tip the suggested amount.There is always more then one opinion.Also could care less what other people tip.If you want to tip more good for you. :) Have a great next cruise.

This should make and end to the confusion but who's kidding who here!!:D

Now, for those who want to tell me I'm screwing with a system by preferring to tip those who serve me, in cash-:p

Let's hope everyone has some reading comprehension on your post Gina and can grasp the NO POOL statement you made!! Not once, twice but three times!!;) And, told to you from staff members- love it!!! Thanks Gina!!

I no longer feel uncomfortable about RCI charging the gratuity daily. I believe it is going where it should. I'll think of it as a convenience and more ff miles for me. I'll still give the extra where earned. This weekend we did have especially fabulous dining services from the same two each night in MTD and a super smart, early rising, always ready stateroom attendant.

Why not just raise prices and pay the staff decent wages instead of relying on all the prepaid gratuities that most pay any way?

I know many, myself included usually adds a little to that any way for those that go above and beyond... Which would now be true tips, not what's now basically expected for doing their job.

Ya know there's something to be said for this. I don't really like the idea of employers in any venue being allowed to pay less in expectation the employee will be tipped. I've worked for tips, and sooner or later the employee always gets the fuzzy end of the lolly.

Back when I worked for tips in college not everyone tipped. Regardless of whether or not each customer tipped, it was reported we received 15% tips on the total sales we'd made for the night. It was possible to end up owing more than we were paid in wages from the company to the tax man.

I don't know if tips are pooled, but since this rumor persists, I check the pool on the last day of all my cruises and I've yet to find any tips. Nonetheless, I'll keep checking, just in case.