WOW ! Up To 400 People Remove Gratuities

It seems fair to me that the restaurant should not have to pay credit card costs.....

Tom

Or for tablecloth cleaning, or staff wages or food or any other cost of doing business!!

Credit card costs are just another cost of doing business. Restaurants don't have to offer this payment option........

Charged tips don't always go to the employees........hence I usually stick with cash. I am not convinced the same doesn't happen on the cruise!

I would think a restaurant, or cruise line, would have to be pretty unscrupulous to steal tips designated for their employees. If they got caught doing that I think, at least, it would ruin their reputation.

You are right. There are other costs of doing business. I guess I figured those are covered by the cost of the goods. I still believe "tips" are a reward for good service and extra above what the person is already getting paid. I'd like to think that is still true in spite of how hard some service industries are trying to change it.

If a restaurant doesn't have a little Visa/Mastercard symbol on the door we likely wouldn't eat there. We use our credit cards for everything and we get lots of benefits from that.

Tom

Or for tablecloth cleaning, or staff wages or food or any other cost of doing business!!

Credit card costs are just another cost of doing business. Restaurants don't have to offer this payment option........

Charged tips don't always go to the employees........hence I usually stick with cash. I am not convinced the same doesn't happen on the cruise!

I'll go ahead and say it again and then add more. I've asked some stateroom attendants about it since the change on March 1. They say they are getting the full amount of their tips if it's paid on your sea pass account daily. They don't seem to be concerned about being underpaid. They don't care if you pay cash or through your seapass - at least not the ones I've spoken with. So I'm no longer concerned. They aren't giving up part of their tips to give to others. They DO in fact get a minimum pay, that is over and above what their salary is, whether you choose to tip or not for whatever reason (right or wrong).

The "other housekeeping" personal get $1.35 of your tips. It's clearly stated in writing by the hotel director of Enchantment of the Seas. I have the paper right here in front of me that has the breakdown - to a degree. It doesn't have the breakdown of the dining services which is $6.80 total. The Stateroom attendant gets $3.85. None of that $3.85 goes to others. The $1.35 is what goes to others, whoever the others are. There are "others" who help do the rooms on turnaround days and I suspect the luggage pushers may be included in "others" although I don't pretend to know who the "others" really consists of. It's only a guess based on who I know is helping.

Gina

I always remove my automatic bull! I bring white envelops and give tips to whom i want to tip , Paying automatic they give the tips to people I dont ever see or use non personal. My teens and I never use the formal seating for dinner we like the fast foods and dont like the requirements to dress up for a dinner. not this family. We are there to have fun relax and do nothing for 7 days. I wear a suite everyday and my teens dress for school ....

tips are better handed out to the employee....

Many land based restaurant concepts pass a credit card fee off on the servers. If you pay tips with your credit card a small percentage is kept by the company to pay that processing fee. So for example if you tip $10 with a credit card, the server loses maybe 2-3%. Depends on the company.

I would like to see the daily tips become non-removable!! Then those who are cheap will either have to pay the tips or not cruise with Royal Caribbean.

If tips are non removable they are no longer tips but an extra charge!!!!!

The crew rely on these tips to make up their low pay and long hours. I always pay my gratuities prior to cruising and then if the room attendant and waiting staff, deserve more I give them an envelope on the last night to show our appreciation. Maybe the service we receive would be excellent if everyone showed their appreciation. This is my opinion anyway.

We usually leave the tips as they are in the prepay on cruises. However, we always communicate every positive experience we have on board with upper management. On Celebrity, they're called "attention to detail" cards. While most people might choose to complain about things with these cards, we always use them for positive notes about stateroom attendants, servers, or any other staff on board that really impresses us. The positive feedback gives the staff more of a chance for a promotion or internal company award and keeping people's supervisors happy helps staff have a better experience at work on the ship.

Regarding cash: a cash tip only goes as far as the actual employee. A note of commendation will earn the staffer far more in the long run and your compliments do get back to them!

• 1 month later...

I do not mind prepaid gratuities with two exceptions.

I tend to book with a travel agent that gives as an incentive prepaid gratuities.

Because of this - I can not pre- book my time dining because RCCL requires that to be paid at time of booking and the prepaid gratuities are applied once I am actually on the cruise.

Twice I have been unable to get in my time at embarkation because it was sold out.

My second gripe is that I will and have tip additional; but, now I feel like I am getting hounded by the dining and stateroom staff for additional. That should be my discretion and I have had several instances now where it seems expected - I find the prepaid process awkward because I like having something to give the person on that last night -and now I feel obligated to give more.

Thats all I am saying-

I do not mind prepaid gratuities with two exceptions.

I tend to book with a travel agent that gives as an incentive prepaid gratuities.

Because of this - I can not pre- book my time dining because RCCL requires that to be paid at time of booking and the prepaid gratuities are applied once I am actually on the cruise.

Twice I have been unable to get in my time at embarkation because it was sold out.

My second gripe is that I will and have tip additional; but, now I feel like I am getting hounded by the dining and stateroom staff for additional. That should be my discretion and I have had several instances now where it seems expected - I find the prepaid process awkward because I like having something to give the person on that last night -and now I feel obligated to give more.

Thats all I am saying-

AHOY SHIPMATES

It's not TIPPING or a GRATUITY any longer. It's cleverly applied EXTORTION.

The fact that the ships are registered under "flag of convenience" nations allows the cruise lines to pay their employees, in some cases, lower wages than may be required by US law. In many ways your pre-paid tips, gratuity, vacation grease, wampum, whatever you want to refer to it as, is really a big part of supplementing the crew income and while technically may be viewed as a tip, in actuality it is a bit different than what many in the U.S. would consider a tip.

I always remove my automatic bull! I bring white envelops and give tips to whom i want to tip , Paying automatic they give the tips to people I dont ever see or use non personal. My teens and I never use the formal seating for dinner we like the fast foods and dont like the requirements to dress up for a dinner. not this family. We are there to have fun relax and do nothing for 7 days. I wear a suite everyday and my teens dress for school ....

tips are better handed out to the employee....

There are many people that do jobs to enable you to have a good experience that you may not notice so would be missed - even the "fast food" venues have to have food prepared and put out by someone for example.

Twice now this has happened to me, I prepay my gratuities, take my cruise and they auto charge me for my gratuities each day, per person. I notice this on day 4 and have to go wait in line and show guest services my reservation showing I prepaid. They gladly refund. I always pay more, but I want to give the extra to those that actually serve me.

I'm also one to pay over the extra 15% when I order a drink. I normally pay $1.00 more per drink that I order as extra tip.

Maybe some of the 400+ that was removing their tip actually prepaid and had the same situation happen that I did have happen.

Who knows, but be careful if you prepay and look at your daily invoice.

Janet

The fact that the ships are registered under "flag of convenience" nations allows the cruise lines to pay their employees, in some cases, lower wages than may be required by US law. In many ways your pre-paid tips, gratuity, vacation grease, wampum, whatever you want to refer to it as, is really a big part of supplementing the crew income and while technically may be viewed as a tip, in actuality it is a bit different than what many in the U.S. would consider a tip.

well said

On my last two cruises I saw a paper on a Steward cart of rooms that were not satisfied about their room. I tried to snap a picture of it each time I walked by but a steward was always around. Not sure if any of those folks on list removed tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Ever since I found out about those daily gratuities while on my first Royal cruise years ago I just thought they were just another one of the cruise industry's weird/quacky/quaint traditions like loud-mouthed CD's, bad comedians, and formal nights.;) I just figure this cost in as part of the total cost along with port charges, taxes and overpriced drinks. Then I just compare that total cost to an AI or the total cost of some other land based vacation like renting a beach house. Sometimes the cruise wins out, sometimes the others win out.

Frankly, I don't care what they call them, daily gratuities, tips, surcharges, resort fees or whatever. A dollar out of my pocket is still a dollar out of my pocket. :eek:

Just an FYI... my TA does this as well. What I have started doing is going ahead and prepaying them myself anyway, then that "gratuity gift" amount from the TA gets turned into OBC credit. If you don't use it, you can get back from Guest Services. We've opted to do it this way for our two previous cruises without a hitch.

Comes out the same, AND you will then be able to prebook your MTD times.

Ann