International Airfare (from US) is cost really up that much?

Smiles3usa

Ok, I haven't cruised in a while (actually last cruise was in 2008). Last international flight was in Dec 2010 RT Boston to Amsterdam was $675.00 pp. Looking at my last cruise, RT Bos to Rome was $ 480.00 (Oct 2008). So imagine my surprise when I look at this years rates, RT Bos to Rome for Oct 2013 (just gazing for my cruise in Oct 2014) to find the lowest rate to be $1250.00 pp. Seems approximately $525 of that rate was attributable to a fuel surcharge! Have the rates really risen that much? Or perhaps I am looking too early for October rates. I recalled that towards the end of August the Fall airfare sales period occurred. Are these price an anomaly or just the new reality that I must adjust to?

It's pretty much the norm. We have exactly the same problem in the opposite direction when we want to cruise in the Caribbean. And, yes, about half of the ticket cost seems to be for taxes and surcharges.

Depending on how flexible your travel dates are you may be able to get better rates travelling on different days of the week. Part of the cost of your ticket relates to the airport fees and these fluctuate depending on how busy the airport is on a given day of the week. A different route may also give you a better fare because the fees at connecting airports also vary.

Also, the rates you're looking at just now will not be at their lowest because the lowest-priced seats usually sell out first. Many airlines open sales up around 11 months in advance so from about 12 months out you need to keep checking on a daily basis so you can snap up the cheapest deals before they disappear.

Yes you will find that the "air fare" is about the same -- what airlines have added are the so called "international surcharge" which is a fuel based surcharge. This charge varies as the price of fuel goes up. My recent flight to Europe fare was $900 and the surcharge was another $400.

Your cruise is in October 2014 so the pricing you are looking at now reflects the current booking level for October of this year. I can't say about Boston from flights from my home city to Europe are usually priced the best around April/May for an October flight. I'd keep an eye on the pricing but my guess is you won't see anything better for October 2014 until sometime next year.

That being said, I think the days of sub $1,000 flights to Europe are over.

That being said, I think the days of sub $1,000 flights to Europe are over.

I agree completely - it would be very, very difficult to find those fares. As well it should be. It costs way more than $1,000 to transport someone roundtrip across an ocean.

Yes you will find that the "air fare" is about the same -- what airlines have added are the so called "international surcharge" which is a fuel based surcharge. This charge varies as the price of fuel goes up. My recent flight to Europe fare was $900 and the surcharge was another $400.

it actually has little to do with fuel, and the $400 you pay from the east coast as a 'fuel surcharge' is actually in excess of what the airlines pays total, per seat, for fuel.

That is roughly the price it has been since I started looking for airfare last October for our September 2013cruise. I booked it in April because I was concerned about getting a flight out of Venice the day the cruise ended at the time I wanted. The price is still the same.

We just booked an American Airlines flight for Oct. from Miami to Barcelona for $544. We booked through Choice Air which is offered through RCI and Celebrity Cruise Lines. Last year the cost was around $445. You generally need to have a booking number to enter the Choice Air site.

If people want to know what reasonable pricing is, the cost to an airline for each seat mile is in the 0.16-0.18/seat-mile range.

This means that a JFK-LHR one-way costs the airline something like $620 (3450 miles).

Any seat sold for more than that, is profit to the airline, anything less than that is done to fill otherwise empty seats, or to create demand by advertising the route at under cost.

We have been looking at airfare to Barcelona and are amazed at how much more expensive it is to fly there. Any experienced travelers who can offer alternate routes? We will be flying out of Houston, Tx

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I've been doing a lot of flying very recently. Not only are fares up but the extra charges are growing.

Airlines are also battling the issue of size and weight of carry on baggage now that the airlines charge for checked bags.

On every single one of my many flights recently there were issues with not having enough room in the airplane cabin for all the carry on baggage. There was a lot of forced gate checking (at no charge to the passengers) and a lot of arguing over bin space.

My carry on bag is small and fits under the seat in front of me, but many people had large overstuffed bags and shopping bags on top of that.

It's a tough time for people with carry on baggage. flights are delayed and in one case I nearly missed a connecting flight.

Sometimes you can find bargains. Just booked a round trip from Houston to Johannesburg next May through Frankfurt on Lufthansa for $1155!!!! That's over 10,000 miles each way for under $600. :D

I've done that trip and in economy it is darn hard. I am a small person and was far from comfortable. If you can get an overnight stop in Frankford with an airport hotel you will do much better on the flights and will be happier and healthier in South Africa.

The first time I ever had severe leg swelling to the point of worry about the health of one leg was on the return flights to Texas. I did my best to do the exercises to avoid DVT and to get up and walk around , but I was exhausted and had a really long sleep out of Johnnesburg. Also the man seated in front of me reclined his seat to the maximum for the entire flight leaving me next to no room to wiggle around and made it very hard for me to get out of my seat.

Be careful and come out better than I did!

• 1 month later...

Check FareStore and Skyscanner. I've been seeing prices at $900. Looking for airfare for October-November of next year to Europe as well. I check every single day (over kill, I know). The $900 fare has some long layovers, some dont. Just find what works for you and saves you some money too.

AF just had a 699 rt east coast to Paris. Sign up with the pertinent airlines for their email specials.

Secondly, as an American living partly in France, I discovered long ago that local sites..one esp in France, sells RT to the UsA with longer away times, fewer restrictions and different taxes. It is worth a try! All my friends here now do what we call a reverse round trip. You might google something like discount air and then put .fr. I think the site has an English option now.

The USD is $1.33 to a EURO so factor that in, too!

Archived