Hammock in oceanview suite

smellycruzer

Greetings everyone! On my upcoming cruise, I am interested in a concept of hanging a hammock in the living area of my oceanview stateroom. It's no big secret anymore (unfortunately) of the ability to attach magnets to the walls, so I wonder if anyone has tried these before:

http://www.harborfreight.com/retrieving-magnet-100-lb-pull-36903.html

I think if I just put 2 of these on opposing walls (200 lbs total), stretch my favorite hammock across, then I'll be good to go! Thoughts? I'm sure the walls will be strong enough :D I'll try to post pictures of it, as I think this may catch on!!

I think you may have some "splainin" to do when the 10 pounds of magnets get caught up in some piece of luggage sorting equipment at the Airport. And if you get past that, you could delaminate the thin metal from the insulated wall in the cabin. But hey you are on vacation go for it, enjoy your self. Not to mention wiping out any memory cards or electronics that get next to those powerful magnets in your luggage.

I think you may have some "splainin" to do when the 10 pounds of magnets get caught up in some piece of luggage sorting equipment at the Airport. And if you get past that, you could delaminate the thin metal from the insulated wall in the cabin. But hey you are on vacation go for it, enjoy your self. Not to mention wiping out any memory cards or electronics that get next to those powerful magnets in your luggage.

Very good points to consider. I definitely don't want to damage anything in the cabin, so maybe I will try beneath the bed out of sight to make sure it's ok. I'll have to check with the airlines to, but I don't think a magnet is a restricted item (who knows these days!!). I'll keep my electronics in a carry-on apart from the magnets.

I figured someone else on CC would've tried this before, but perhaps not. Any other interesting things folks have used the magnet-friendly walls for (apart from posting maps, patters, etc...)??

I'm trying to wrap my head around the living space thing in an OV cabin. Then, I wonder if there are opposing walls that are free enough to apply the magnets. When I look at photos there are mirrors and pictures secured to the walls. Also the packing space the hammock will take up, wouldn't it need its own suitcase?

For me, life needs to be kept simple. Take your clothes and toiletries, a good camera, plenty of sunscreen and you're good to go. Leave the room/ship furnishings to the ship. I have read posts in the past where people take tables and chairs with them onboard, so you're not alone with this unusual question.

But... I will have to say, swinging in a hammock sounds nice :)

While it sounds possible in theory, I think these magnets were made to lift items. I think they will slide down the wall if you try to use them that way. Also, can you lift a hundred lbs? How will you get them off the wall again?

I have to ask: what "living area" do you think exists in an oceanview cabin?

Beat me to it. A Window Suite maybe. But a typical OV cabin is not set up such that you could stretch out in a hammock and see out the porthole.

Is this a wind up?? 2 magnets may hold the hammock.....but not you!!!!! You tube yourself crashing to the floor....why would you want a hammock in an OV anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very good points to consider. I definitely don't want to damage anything in the cabin, so maybe I will try beneath the bed out of sight to make sure it's ok. I'll have to check with the airlines to, but I don't think a magnet is a restricted item (who knows these days!!). I'll keep my electronics in a carry-on apart from the magnets.

I figured someone else on CC would've tried this before, but perhaps not. Any other interesting things folks have used the magnet-friendly walls for (apart from posting maps, patters, etc...)??

Actually, magnets have been restricted on airlines for many years. You will find that the seller probably will send these surface to you, as I've had the little pencil size part retrieval magnets barred from air freight.

I can't say what the "load limit" is for the cabin bulkheads, they are not structural, and imposing your weight (200 lbs?+-) at right angles to the designed load will definitely deform the bulkhead panels. Not sure what you mean by trying out under the bed, as this is first off a structural deck (3/8" steel), and isn't this carpeted?

I think your best bet would be attaching to the structural frame of the balcony dividers.

If you plan to travel by air to the port be aware that Magnetized Materials are regulated for air transportation. Packed items which meet the test (basically compass deviation parameters) are required to be documented, packed and labeled properly. This isn't something a untrained person should get involved in. Your magnets look strong enough that they may meet the parameters. Small stuff like fridge & wall magnets do not meet the test. It is possible to pack magnets so the magnetic fields cancel out. Magnetized Materials are not regulated for surface modes of transportation. I was involved in hazardous material shipping for over 20 years.

Am I really the only one that thinks this is a joke???

Smelly Cruiser posted this yesterday 6/30 and according to his signature line is on the Rudy right now...

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

A lot of people sleep in Hammocks now, it's great for your back. Search amazon for the "ENO double nest" It is only about a pound of weight and holds 400 lbs. Backpackers use these hammocks and there are all sort of accessories for them (bug nets, etc).

A lot of people sleep in Hammocks now, it's great for your back. Search amazon for the "ENO double nest" It is only about a pound of weight and holds 400 lbs. Backpackers use these hammocks and there are all sort of accessories for them (bug nets, etc).

Hahaha. This is sooooo funny, hang the hammock on the rails above the bridge for a great motion swing!!!!!! Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Archived