What Terminal Will Celebrity Use in FLL for the Eclipse this Winter?

WpgCruise

We booked the Eclipse for a 14 day cruise for January 2014, and it leaves and returns on a Sunday from FLL.

Will they be using Terminal 24/25 ? The disembarkation line up in 2012 from our Solstice cruise was miserable, and I'm thinking if they use this terminal again and with the effects of the customs sequester cuts it will be worse.

What do you think, will Eclipse use Terminal 24/25 for this cruise leaving and returning on a Sunday?

1076Custom_zps6e919bc4.jpg

1075Custom_zpse998a94a.jpg

Edited by WpgCruise

Hi Wpgcruise,

I think *many* of us would like to know this answer. Unfortunately, I suspect we will not know until a week before the first sailing of Eclipse's Winter 2013/2014 season, when the berthing assignments are posted on the Port Everglades website.

We can hope that Celebrity will have the opportunity to use ANY other terminal at PEV. No matter how much of an unknown that might be, would be an upgrade from the unacceptable condtions at pier 24/25.

Being that Celebrity opted to move Eclipse to Miami (with Sunday departures) for the Winter 2014/2015 season, I wonder if this means we'll have another season of Pier 24/25 ahead. If that's the case, I hope Celebrity will do whatever it takes to make the best out of a lousy situation.

Edited by Host Andy

Hi Wpgcruise,

I think *many* of us would like to know this answer. Unfortunately, I suspect we will not know until a week before the first sailing of Eclipse's Winter 2013/2014 season, when the berthing assignments are posted on the Port Everglades website.

We can hope that Celebrity will have the opportunity to use ANY other terminal at PEV. No matter how much of an unknown that might be, would be an upgrade from the unacceptable condtions at pier 24/25.

Being that Celebrity opted to move Eclipse to Miami (with Sunday departures) for the Winter 2014/2015 season, I wonder if this means we'll have another season of Pier 24/25 ahead. If that's the case, I hope Celebrity will do whatever it takes to make the best out of a lousy situation.

Andy, since the Oasis and Allure depart from pier 18 on Saturday and Sunday, respectively, I think the Eclipse is doomed for another Caribbean cruising season.:eek: Maybe improvements will be made to 24/25, let's hope so.

Maybe improvements will be made to 24/25, let's hope so.

Hi Oville,

We can hope that improvements to piers 24/25 will be made. FWIW, I absolutely believe the embark & disembark could work more effectively, if the folks responsible for pier operations at Celebrity & Port Everglades worked together, and put their thinking caps on. Some creativity would go a long way here.

FWIW, I'm very observant. When I looked around both terminals, I noticed many items which could have been improved upon. If only Celebrity reached out to past Eclipse Guests for their insights, I'm certain we could help.

I truly hope Celebrity will review our comments. Perhaps it will push them to move this ongoing concern towards the top of their "to-do" list.

Edited by Host Andy

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I thought you might be interested to know that Port Everglades posted Eclipse's berthing assignment for her first Caribbean sailing of the season on 11/16. Sorry to report Eclipse is scheduled for Pier 25 once again. Although I was hoping for most any other terminal, let's hope Celebrity will find a way to improve the process.

I will be happy to share my observations on the 11/16 sailings Embark, on my "Live From Eclipse" thread, which I will post later this week. Stay tuned !

Edited by Host Andy

Perhaps, the probems at 24/25 is the reason they moved Eclipse to Miami for 2014-5. For us in Boca, that is probably as much of an inconvenience as 24/25

Hi Alan,

I'm in the Boca area as well. At first, I was disappointed that Eclipse is being moved to Miami a year from now. However, If it will make for an easier embark & disembark, I'm fine with the switch.

Now that we know Eclipse's first Caribbean sailing of the season next Saturday, will likely Embark from Pier 25 once again, it will be interesting to see if Celebrity will make welcome improvements this season. We'll see what happens.

Edited by Host Andy

It would be nice if they would take some effort to improve the terminal 24/25 disembarkation. But we've disembarked there 3 times, two TA's over the years and last year's Eclipse, and it's never been good.

Last year was a total joke. The joke was I thought that they'd fixed the situation as our disemarkation letter (copy attached to this post) included the following:

Generally, the disembarkation process on most vessels is a hectic and confusing one. We are very happy to say that we have eliminated that part of the process on the Celebrity Eclipse. Furthermore, due to the fact that our Guests have varied needs, we have extended our disembarkation hours, so that there are little or no queues. It's going to be a fast and enjoyable experience!

It was quite ironic to get that letter and then find some of the longest queues we've run into with bottlenecks to get past the gangway (waiting for traffic to clear), waiting outside to get into the terminal, long line to get a porter (we gave up), get through C&I, and a very long taxi queue.

It would have made much more sense for Celebrity to either say nothing or to include an explanation of some of the problems at the terminal so people would have the proper expectations. But to issue a letter saying they've reduced or eliminated queues just when the reality is the queues are as bad as it gets does not leave the kind of final impression of Celebrity they should want their guests to have.

Eclipse-3-9-2013-Disembarkation Letter.pdf

I sailed Sihlouette back in April and we disembarked from 24/25 too....

I have to say it was probably the longest, slowest line I have ever been

on......you are all the way outside.......then you go all the way over to

the luggage area and then another line to go through customs......

These 24/25 terminals? Really stupidly funky:eek::rolleyes::confused:

so the Luggage Valet service helps cope with this?

It might help a little. You'll still face the queues from the ship to the terminal, and through Customs & Immigration although you won't have to find your luggage and move along with it. There will also be the same taxi lines as you exit.

I haven't bothered with the luggage valet and still wouldn't. If we're heading straight to the airport it is only slightly more bothersome to deal with the luggage and we'd still have to deal with the one case that we always keep for the stuff we need overnight and the final morning.

so the Luggage Valet service helps cope with this?

Luggage Valet helped to an extent. As Lsimon said you still have customs and long waits for a taxi to contend with. The other crazy thing was that even though we had no luggage to pick up at the port we were still directed thru the line being used by those who were looking for luggage, then back to where we almost started to get into the customs line.

The wait for a taxi was so long we gave up after 30 minutes of getting nowhere and took a shuttle. We paid a little more but it was worth it. Not having luggage helped when using the shuttle.

For our upcoming cruise I think we will be at pier 18 because we will be in port when Royal isn't. At least I hope so.

Mary Lou

I don't know what the options are for Celebrity and the issues with Terminal 24/25 at Port Everglades.

I do know that providing commitments that won't and can't be met which Lsimon shared by way of pdf is not helpful.

We've been through the process at Terminal 24/25 twice and both have been a trying experience, a miserable end to a great cruise.

I don't fault Celebrity for the Terminals and shortage of Government officials, but do ask they treat us with respect, be honest about the issues and support us as we adjust expectations.

We'll adjust our expectations for our January 25 Eclipse cruise by staying over in Fort Lauderdale and catching a flight out the next morning.

If we know what we will be facing, we can plan accordingly and at least make the best of a bad situation.

We used this terminal after a cruise on the Navigator OTS several years ago. Horrible debarkation experience. I think RCCL as a company should have enough pull to get the terminals that they use updated. Carnival Corporation was able to get three or four terminals at this port upgraded recently. Terminal 18 without a doubt the best process for embarkation/debarkation of any port I have cruised from.

After reading about this problem last year we booked a cruise on the Royal Princess following our cruise on the Eclipse for this next February.

My goal is to be the last 2 people off the ship . ;)

Does anyone know about what time we are looking at?

10:00? 10:30? 11:00?

Let's hope Celebrity has made at least a few changes and read the previous posts on these boards. We used this terminal in 2013 and it was by far the worst ever. Because of the poor configuration and the combining of two terminals it is just set up for delays. (I felt like I was walking to the airport!)

Terminal 24/25 also shares a pier with another terminal and the access road and taxi area is inadequate to service two large ships at once.

You can see both ships and the terminals in the photos at the beginning of this thread.

We used this terminal after a cruise on the Navigator OTS several years ago. Horrible debarkation experience. I think RCCL as a company should have enough pull to get the terminals that they use updated. Carnival Corporation was able to get three or four terminals at this port upgraded recently. Terminal 18 without a doubt the best process for embarkation/debarkation of any port I have cruised from.

Hi Cruisingator2,

Great points, and I agree about Pier 18. We've had absolutely wonderful experiences. If all of our experiences were similar to Pier 18, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Carnival obtained the upgrades by signing a 15 year agreement with Port Everglades in 2010. As part of the deal, terminals 2, 19, 21 & 26 were renovated in 2012, in a $54 million dollar project. I agree with you, that a company of Royal Caribbean's size, should be able to obtain a similar deal to extend their relationship with Port Everglades. Let's hope that Celebrity & Royal Caribbean are working on a long term renovation plan for ships using terminals other than 18.

Edited by Host Andy

Question, since my Constellation cruise will be departing on a Friday will it also be from this terminal? If not, which terminal and is it any better than the one described?

Keep in mind that we've not had any issues embarking at this terminal, just disembarking. Not sure if you are referring to the embarkation day or disembarkation when you say you'll "be departing on a Friday".

Assuming you mean disembarkation: Hard to say. If it is departing the same day as an Equinox departure then it will probably use this terminal, if not then it might use terminal 18. 18 is a new terminal built to handle the passenger load of the Oasis class RCL ships. Equinox usually uses that terminal on its 10/11 day alternating itineraries. The 11 night itineraries depart on a Monday and return on a Friday. The 10 day depart on a Friday and return on a Monday.

Hi Everyone,

I thought you might be interested to know that Port Everglades posted Eclipse's berthing assignment for her first Caribbean sailing of the season on 11/16. Sorry to report Eclipse is scheduled for Pier 25 once again. Although I was hoping for most any other terminal, let's hope Celebrity will find a way to improve the process.

I will be happy to share my observations on the 11/16 sailings Embark, on my "Live From Eclipse" thread, which I will post later this week. Stay tuned !

I can't wait to follow your Live From. We will be doing the Eclipse in April and its our first time on Celebrity so we're a bit more excited than usual. :):)

Keep in mind that we've not had any issues embarking at this terminal, just disembarking. Not sure if you are referring to the embarkation day or disembarkation when you say you'll "be departing on a Friday".

Assuming you mean disembarkation: Hard to say. If it is departing the same day as an Equinox departure then it will probably use this terminal, if not then it might use terminal 18. 18 is a new terminal built to handle the passenger load of the Oasis class RCL ships. Equinox usually uses that terminal on its 10/11 day alternating itineraries. The 11 night itineraries depart on a Monday and return on a Friday. The 10 day depart on a Friday and return on a Monday.

Ah yes, we may use a different terminal for embarking and disembarking. We embark on a Thursday (I was confused!) and disembark on a Monday. We plan on using the luggage valet as our flight isn't until 6pm, so we will just plan on waiting it out at either terminal!

I sailed Sihlouette back in April and we disembarked from 24/25 too....

I have to say it was probably the longest, slowest line I have ever been

on......you are all the way outside.......then you go all the way over to

the luggage area and then another line to go through customs......

These 24/25 terminals? Really stupidly funky:eek::rolleyes::confused:

we had the same slow and frustrating experience disembarking on our Silho cruise.. that's why we booked Equinox for next fall...it leaves on a Monday so we are hoping luck holds out & we get the better terminal.

we had that great terminal when we sailed on Oasis in Sept. -terminal was great & we loved luggage valet service, but the ship was definitely not our style at all. Happy to be back to Equinox--esp. if not at the awful terminal set up that Silho had!