Costa maya question

I was excited when I heard that the Navigator out of Galveston would include Costa Maya in the itineraries. Unfortunately, we have to cruise during teacher/grandchildren holidays so the May & November dates do not work for us. Do any other RCI ships go to Costa Maya? I only see Norwegian and Disney on the Costa Maya port schedule. It looks like these companies one-uppted RCI and also Princess on this great port. Next question: Is the Navigator going into dry dock in April 2014? Thanks!

I was excited when I heard that the Navigator out of Galveston would include Costa Maya in the itineraries. Unfortunately, we have to cruise during teacher/grandchildren holidays so the May & November dates do not work for us. Do any other RCI ships go to Costa Maya? I only see Norwegian and Disney on the Costa Maya port schedule. It looks like these companies one-uppted RCI and also Princess on this great port. Next question: Is the Navigator going into dry dock in April 2014? Thanks!

Navigator will be finished with dry dock in Feb 2014.

Carnival goes to Costa Maya -- just went there on the Dream

We went to Costa Maya on the Jewel out of Tampa a year or so ago and "LOVED" it! We went to a place called Maya Chan for the day. It only allows I believe 30 people. It is an all inclusive beach side individual thatched huts along with a delicious steak & chicken lunch. Full service bar with thatched hut waiters/waitresses. Very quiet and peaceful with a natural beauty atmosphere. We would go back in a second if RCCL had it back as a port stop. Because RCCL had invested in Falmouth, Jamaica, I don't think that we'll see this stop anytime in the near future. :cool:

Navigator is going there on a couple of itineraries I believe!

Go to old town NOT cruise town

Shade

Sun

Beach

Water

Food service on beach

Drink service on beach

Good prices

Restrooms

Mexican food

Guacamole, shrimp, ceviche, etc.

Cervezas

Cheap massages

Water sports

Diving

We've been to Costa Maya on 2 Jewel cruises out of Tampa, and are sorry this port is no longer on the schedule. Agree with 99Florida about Maya Chan. It's a wonderful beach day serving fantastic food & open bar. The resort also provides transportation to & from the ship.

Add me to the Costa Maya bandwagon. I LOVE it. In the past I've cruised Carnival just to be able to go there.

Go to the town of Mahahual and eat at 100% Agave and the owner Don Fernando will fill your water bottle w/ his home made tequila. The little seaside walk w/ the lovely beachside restaurants and (as mentioned above) GREAT guacamole and seafood. Fantastic beach massages for a fraction of the cost of a mediocre cruise ship massage.... I LOVE Costa Maya and had no idea the Navigator was going there.

I have been to Costa Maya twice. I didn't think it was all that great.

The Welcome Center area is a dump now (it used to be much nicer when it was first built, but its become too crowded with way too many shops). Open areas are now crammed with flea market style shops, and the waterfront now houses a dolphin experience. It's like a mini Cozumel, and I mean this in a bad way.

But if you get away from the Welcome Center, this stop is great. We've done the Mayan Ruins of Chachobben, as well as spending the day in Mahahual. Both wonderful experiences in different ways.

We've always enjoyed strolling through the "Welcome Center." We've been to the ruins and to the beach in Mahahual on several occasions. We booked the Princess Christmas cruise out of Galveston for 2011 rather than the Mariner specifically for the port of Costa Maya. However, right before final payment, Princess also pulled Costa Maya from their itineraries. There was lots of speculation about Disney having elbowed out the competition. Unlike Jamaica and Belize, Costa Maya is safe and a really great stop for all ages. Having Jamaica as one of 4 ports during a 7 day cruise was one thing. Now that there are only 3 ports - one of which is either Belize or Jamaica - the Western itinerary really isn't very appealing. (I say this as a repeat cruiser out of Galveston.) JMO, of course. Falmouth was one of the stops when we were on the Oasis in May. Now that is what I'd call a disappointing "Welcome Center" :-)

There was lots of speculation about Disney having elbowed out the competition.

I don't think that's the reason. Check out the Disney website; I did, and I couldn't find any Costa Maya stops after April 2014. It looks like they're pulling out too.

Honestly, I just don't understand why the cruise lines do what they do. Most people on these boards badmouth Jamaica, yet there are three ports on that island, and the lines keep adding more trips that stop there. On the other hand, most people really enjoy Costa Maya (myself most definitely included), yet they're all pulling out. What's going on?

We thought Costa Maya was a great port of call. We visited the Mayan ruins of Kohunlich in December 2011 when we sailed on Mariner of the Seas out of Galveston, TX.

Hopefully, you will be able to find a cruise going there.

Honestly, I just don't understand why the cruise lines do what they do. Most people on these boards badmouth Jamaica, yet there are three ports on that island, and the lines keep adding more trips that stop there. On the other hand, most people really enjoy Costa Maya (myself most definitely included), yet they're all pulling out. What's going on?

I don't know either....but I can certainly speculate that it probably has something to do with money/profit for the cruise line. :)

I don't think that's the reason. Check out the Disney website; I did, and I couldn't find any Costa Maya stops after April 2014. It looks like they're pulling out too.

Disney too! That's really odd. It is my understanding that the Mexican government built this resort at their own expense to accommodate cruise ships & to give people a nice opinion of Mexico. Yes, it's got to be about port charges and cruise ship profits as I know cruise lines drive a very tough bargain with the locals. We will not book another cruise if Jamaica is included.

Archived