Oceania Riviera vs. Silversea Spirit

NicoleAbbate

Both lines are offering very similar cruises, 10 nights. out of Florida in December to the Caribbean with almost identical itinerary's.

We have been on the Riviera last December for the Mayan Mystique cruise which was wonderful. My TA has been great, giving me advice. He is saying we will love silversea.

I was hoping anyone on here that has been on both ships can give me a rundown of the spa, we use the spa heavily almost daily for treatments.

We use the gym daily as well. We also use the internet, we liked oceanias unlimited package for our last cruise it was very helpful. Silver sea offers 1000 minutes for $250 which is very comparable.

Is there anything I am missing, I really want to lock in this cruise soon.

When we were on Oceania last December we were in a Concierge level room which was wonderful but on the small side.

We would be getting a Penthouse level room on the Riviera, and a Veranda room on Silver Spirit. I know the penthouse is a little bigger at 420 sq ft as opposed to 376 sq ft Any feedback is appreciated.

We don't smoke, and don't mind dressing up, it was nice not packing a tuxedo, but it isn't a big deal for us either way.

We will be 32/33 at the time of the cruise in December.

The penthouse on Riviera is a far nicer accommodation than a verandah suite on Silver Spirit which is quite narrow. Food on Oceania is better imo, especially in the four specialty restaurants. I can't comment on the spas as O rarely use them.

Alcohol will be included in your Silversea fare, it will be extra on Oceania. Of course you could get a drink package on Oceania if you prefer, and still probably be spending less than you would on Silversea.

If I was to go back to Silversea it would only be on the earlier ships, I really don't like the standard suite layout on the Spirit...as previously mentioned it's way too narrow. A PH on an O Class is far better laid out and better value IMHO. Although SS isn't ultra formal like Cunard, I still prefer the O dress code.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Both are excellent choices but very different experiences.

I agree with above posters that the Riviera PH is a nicer suite than the verandah on the Spirit. Also, I think the food is better with more choices on Riviera.

As we don't drink, the all inclusive nature of Silversea is not a benefit for us - YMMV.

Most importantly for us - Oceania is country club casual and Silversea is more formal - if that makes a difference for you.

Cannot comment on the spa or the gym - never use either.

Interesting thread. My wife and I have been on the Spirit twice - loved the service and all-inclusive nature of the ship but we're off to Oceania next hopefully on the Riviera. The spa on the Spirit is large although the gym is rather small.

If you're foodies at all, I'd suggest you have a look at sample menus for comparison purposes. We found the food was a bit too exotic for us in many cases - particularly if you aren't a seafood fan (like my wife). In reviewing sample Oceania menus, we found far more dishes to our liking than the Spirit offered. Not that the food was "bad" - just not for us in many cases which really limited the choices. Otherwise, we'd book Silversea again in a flash. Or Regent again - if they'd return to a la carte tours.

Good luck with your choice Nicole!

Rob

I'd be curious to see the cost difference. Bearing in mind the includedbeverages and tips on SS.

I have no problem posting the prices

Keep in mind both are 10 days to caribbean out of florida.

Oceania leaves dec 12th

Silversea leaves dec 13th

Silversea Silver Spirit Category V1 $4150 that includes all taxes fees etc.

The Room with no balcony just the picture window is $3750

Oceania Riviera A4 wich is the concierge class room $3099 price includes gratuities also and all fees

The P3 Penthouse Guarantee $3799 includes all fees and gratuities

The Travel Agency I use is offering the prepaid gratuities at this time.

Interesting thread. My wife and I have been on the Spirit twice - loved the service and all-inclusive nature of the ship but we're off to Oceania next hopefully on the Riviera. The spa on the Spirit is large although the gym is rather small.

If you're foodies at all, I'd suggest you have a look at sample menus for comparison purposes. We found the food was a bit too exotic for us in many cases - particularly if you aren't a seafood fan (like my wife). In reviewing sample Oceania menus, we found far more dishes to our liking than the Spirit offered. Not that the food was "bad" - just not for us in many cases which really limited the choices. Otherwise, we'd book Silversea again in a flash. Or Regent again - if they'd return to a la carte tours.

Good luck with your choice Nicole!

Rob

Thank you for your feedback, My Husband does not eat any seafood at all, He will want to eat chicken every night, and maybe once or twice have a filet mignon for dinner during the cruise. He tries to eat healthy eathing chicken and turkey, but he doesn't like duck, veal, lamb, seafood, sushi.

I have no problem posting the prices

Keep in mind both are 10 days to caribbean out of florida.

Oceania leaves dec 12th

Silversea leaves dec 13th

Silversea Silver Spirit Category V1 $4150 that includes all taxes fees etc.

The Room with no balcony just the picture window is $3750

Oceania Riviera A4 wich is the concierge class room $3099 price includes gratuities also and all fees

The P3 Penthouse Guarantee $3799 includes all fees and gratuities

The Travel Agency I use is offering the prepaid gratuities at this time.

Does either price include air?

I love the country club casual dress code on Oceania and the food truly is outstanding. I personally can attest that the filet is excellent; husband, who eats chicken more often than not onboard, also gives the thumbs up.

I confess I never have sailed on Silversea but am under a compulsion to post because I am still an an "Oceania high" due to an amazing happening yesterday in my life:

My non-impulsive husband, still working full-time, booked a cruise on Riviera to the Caribbean in January within one hour of our receiving an email including airfare from Cincinnati (not a normal gateway city) on several Caribbean cruises this winter.:eek::D

Whatever you decide, enjoy!

Pam

Apologies in advance to FDR...great to see you weigh in and we love your brand, as you will see:

Enjoying this thread, I hope the comparisons keep coming. My husband & I took our first-ever cruise on Nautica 2 years ago, in a PH from Barcelona to Rome. Wow, we decided we LOVE cruise vacations. :)

We sailed a Caribbean itinerary with HAL the following year, which was nice and enjoyable, but not the same.

We're booked on Silversea's Silver Spirit in October, Venice to Rome (by way of Croatia, Malta, Sicily & my favorite, Sorrento) and have been curious to read comparisons w Oceania, because a high bar has been set. We debated an itinerary on Nautica in that same time frame but it was mostly where we went before, in reverse. We're new enough to cruising that we still want to play the field. ;)

The all-inclusive nature of Silversea is a definite positive for us. The true 'formal' dress on SS is still in debate positive or negative. Do we pack accordingly or simply choose other dining options those evenings...nice problem to have. We do prefer O's dress code.

We picked the Silversea cruise because it fit nicely within my husband's vacation block and took us to new and desirable ports, with an appealing price from our TA. We are still on the hunt for a trip that will allow us to experience Marina or Rivera on those same conditions. :)

No comparison in my mind. I love Oceania and love Riviera.

I love the various restaurants, fabulous food. I don't love Silversea's formality.

Yes, and note their latest disaster.

Oceania is first on my list!

Archived